Gamecube or Wii version of Metroid Prime?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bls_essex
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

Which one controls better?

Yoweeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Yoweeh
Member since 2008 • 3025 Posts

I would expect the Gamecube one to be better.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
The Wii version is superior by a factor of a million billion bazillion. The Wii controls are natural and perfect, while the GC controls are unnatural and awkward and terrible in comparison. They worked and felt fine at the time on the GC, but the pointer controls are truly perfect.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I would expect the Gamecube one to be better.

Yoweeh

The Wii one looks better and has IR. Its the superior version

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

how accurate are you will dual analog? if your pretty good but never tried using the pointer on the wii then maybe just get the GC version..

i dont know about the graphics because i dont have the GC one.. supposedly wii version is widescreen but the GC version has a few extra graphical effects missing on the wii version... try searching the net for info..

oh... and the wii version.... you can unlock all the music from prime 1 and 2... so you can listen to it whenever you want..

idk if you can do this on the GC version but you can also unlock a different suit for samus after you beat it once.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

how accurate are you will dual analog? if your pretty good but never tried using the pointer on the wii then maybe just get the GC version..

KBFloYd
The GC controls aren't dual analog. The left stick moves, the C stick chooses your weapon. You have to hold the R button to free aim (which forces you to stop moving) or lock on to something, which allows you to still move freely while your aim is locked to the target.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

JordanElek

The GC controls aren't dual analog. The left stick moves, the C stick chooses your weapon. You have to hold the R button to free aim (which forces you to stop moving) or lock on to something, which allows you to still move freely while your aim is locked to the target.

ooh i see... its like star fox assault...

hmmm.. i say... gofor the wii version.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Wii version.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#9 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I feel really weird saying this, but the Wii version is vastly superior to the Gamecube one. It's a shame they didn't print more copies of the Metroid collection, as more people should be able to play it.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Gah, sure IR controls are more accurate, but when I can't wake up Saturday morning and play some Metroid Prime with the controller under the covers, something is wrong with the game (or me). :P
Avatar image for deactivated-59eb8172bd9ff
deactivated-59eb8172bd9ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59eb8172bd9ff
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I dont have the GC version but wii version controls are very good and acurate.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

The Wii is the best since it gived you total freedom. Just like many have said before me, the GC version feels limited and restricted. Both are enjoyable but if you want the freedom that FPS game hold today, I say go for the Wii version. I own both and when I played the Wii Metroid Trilogy, it felt like I was playing the series for the first time all over again, and it feels great :)

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Wii version becuase it looks better on a LCD tv. Controlls don't make a difference. Gamecube version don't have widescreen support or 480p. The wii version has better lighting.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

The Wii verson.

thesnowdog2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thesnowdog2005
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts
The Wii SKU by a country mile. No contest.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Wii by far. After playing Metroid Prime 3 I went back to play the original on the Gamecube and I couldn't do it. Aiming was weird and slow and I didn't like it. Game is excellent but no on the controls.
Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

Wii one,cause

1.Graphical improvements.

2.Better controlls.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I haven't played the Wii edition (Trilogy). I did however play Metroid Corruption. I preferred the GC controls for Prime 1 and 2 to the Wii ones for a few reasons: 1. The Nunchuck is made for children - or people with really small hands. I hate holding it and find it uncomfortable for long gaming sessions. 2. Lock on using a GC controller was better than pointing and shooting. Which is odd, I actually really like the IR for the Wiimote. 3. Because of 2, I found it easier to circle strafe. With the Wii you can lock-on, but it didn't ever feel right (see #1 again). 4. GC controller has better button location than a nunchuck & wiimote combo. It seems I'm highly outnumbered, and I'm cool with that, but just figured I would give you my perspective. The important part is that you play Prime. It was a great game. Unfortunately the enjoyment I got from them degraded over the series.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
gcn for the original prime and metroid prime 2. they were designed for the gcn pad and they work the best on the gcn pad. the reason the motion controls work so well in prime 3 is because of retro's direct implementation. they fit into the technology just right and they work with the open environments filled with encounters.
bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bls_essex

I just looked up the price of Metroid Trilogy. I didn't realize it was out of print. :O

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KBFloYd

I just looked up the price of Metroid Trilogy. I didn't realize it was out of print. :O

bls_essex

lol yea.. might have to go with GC version whether you want to or not.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KBFloYd

I haven't played the Wii edition (Trilogy). I did however play Metroid Corruption. I preferred the GC controls for Prime 1 and 2 to the Wii ones for a few reasons:

1. The Nunchuck is made for children - raahsnavj

i respect your opinion on the controls bro...

but the nunchuck is made for children? theres no need for flame bait like that.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

bls_essex
Yeah, I was lucky to find it in the metallic case at a local Gamestop. It was the only one near me within 40 miles lol. I got it at a Gamestop about 2 miles from my home. I was pretty pumped about it and spent a good 60 on that thing.
bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bls_essex

[QUOTE="bls_essex"]

norm41x

Yeah, I was lucky to find it in the metallic case at a local Gamestop. It was the only one near me within 40 miles lol. I got it at a Gamestop about 2 miles from my home. I was pretty pumped about it and spent a good 60 on that thing.

Nice. Hopefully Nintendo will pull a Dragon Quest V and print some more copies. I have lots of games to keep me occupied in the meantime. :)

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
If you can get your hand on the Wii versions you better off. Controls are perfect. and they are the same game(s) otherwise.
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Free Aim option in WII is kinda more fun than Auto Aim :D Went through Prime 1 & 2 on GC version, and I never forget how angry I was on Spider Guardian in Prime 2 (and how happy I was after I managed eventually to kill it). But in general for me both control type (WII pointer, or GC dual analog) are equally ok.However, the jump ball in WII version (you know what I mean with the trick with whisk the remote upwards) is a great convenience (timed bomb jumps were sometimes really annoying).

Requem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Requem
Member since 2005 • 539 Posts

Wii version hands down.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The Gamecube version is better because it is a million times easier than trying to find a copy of the Trilogy for a reasonable price. I've seen used copies of Prime for as little as $5, and as much as the IR controls improve the accuracy of the player, the original gamepad controls still work perfectly fine, as they were the ones designed for that game (while Corruption wouldn't work because it has gameplay elements designed solely for the Wiimote + Nunchuk combo). The lock-on feature makes all the difference and I still play both Prime and Echoes through their GC versions (because I'm not spending $80-100 for two upgraded control versions of games I already own, and one game that isn't improved at all and already own). When people use hyperbole to describe the GC originals as "bad" I feel kind of insulted (as a Metroid fan). The games were and still are "amazing" despite the *slight* improvement the IR controls offer. They shouldn't be skipped just because the Wiimote controls make the games "better."
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

On the GC version you are either locked on or not. In Trilogy, you can use the option to lock on a target and simultaneously aim freely with the pointer, so the camera is following the locked target but you have to aim for yourself. It's sort of a hardmode and makes the game much more fun to me.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]I haven't played the Wii edition (Trilogy). I did however play Metroid Corruption. I preferred the GC controls for Prime 1 and 2 to the Wii ones for a few reasons:

1. The Nunchuck is made for children - KBFloYd

I like how you took out the part when I explained what I meant and only left in the part that could be misconstrued... I continued to explain what I mean by that by saying it is more comfortable for small hands.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KBFloYd

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]I haven't played the Wii edition (Trilogy). I did however play Metroid Corruption. I preferred the GC controls for Prime 1 and 2 to the Wii ones for a few reasons:

1. The Nunchuck is made for children - raahsnavj

I like how you took out the part when I explained what I meant and only left in the part that could be misconstrued... I continued to explain what I mean by that by saying it is more comfortable for small hands.

my hands arent small and it feels fine to me...no need to say its made for children no matter how you try to explain it.

Guovssohas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Guovssohas
Member since 2010 • 330 Posts
I always prefer the originals, with original hardware, but that's just me..
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Easily wii

sheepradish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 sheepradish
Member since 2006 • 2242 Posts

It is better on wii, 3 games on one disk...Excellent!!!

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#35 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

When people use hyperbole to describe the GC originals as "bad" I feel kind of insulted (as a Metroid fan). The games were and still are "amazing" despite the *slight* improvement the IR controls offer. They shouldn't be skipped just because the Wiimote controls make the games "better."foxhound_fox

The Gamecube versions aren't bad, but they are inferior as a result of the controls, and the widescreen support. The Wii versions also have a neat achievement system implemented.

Nintendo really needs to re-release the Metroid trilogy - maybe scrap the metal case in favour of a regular plastic one to keep the production costs down. I have no idea why they went and made it such a limited release yet went and printed an astronomical number of copies of their 'limited' Mario All Stars ROM dump.

edit - the one thing the Gamecube versions do better is with the main menus. Metroid Prime has one of the best menus of all-time, great background effects, great music. The trilogy has an awful, ugly, pointer-based menu.