Game recommendations for young children...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EvilJack8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EvilJack8
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

My daughter is almost 6 years old and I struggle to find DS games for her.  I've wasted a lot of money buying games and hoping she can play them, and she can't.  She does NOT like time limits.  They make her very nervous.  She likes to take her time and discover things in games, not rush through them or be penalized or eliminated for taking too long.  Really the only game she plays in Hannah Montana because she can take as long as she wants playing it. She has asked for new DS games but I am so hesitant to waste more money.  I would appreciate any and all recommendation from all you experts!   :)  Thanks!!

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#2 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Oh wow.  I can reccomend some game, but they may be too complicated for a 6 year old.

Consider something like Nintendogs. She'll have a cute little puppy to take care of, and as far as I know, there are no time limits to deal with.

Pinkygirl007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Pinkygirl007
Member since 2006 • 998 Posts
Well there's dora and deiago games. also strawberry short cake. Tamagotchi.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
You might want to look into animal crossing. It might be a little much for her just because there is so much to do. There really are no time limits in the game. If you want to make sure you are not wasting your money on a game, you should probably either come to this site or go to ign.com and look at the game reviews. This would probably be a really good section to add to the recommendation thread. There are a lot of people looking for games for young children and it's hard to tell if a game that looks good will actually be entertaining. There are a lot of crappy games out there that look really kiddy just because they are based on cartoons.
Pinkygirl007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pinkygirl007
quick pick is a great game that she will enjoy alot. look into that. it's finding differences in pictures. .
canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 canary7
Member since 2004 • 6277 Posts
Mario Kart Animal Crossing
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Pokemon, simple and fun. Probably why I like it so much, such an innocent world lol.
Pinkygirl007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pinkygirl007
u can also think of getting some GBA games as well.. GBA games also have a wide selection of kids games as well.
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Drawn to Life  (there are two versions both are rated E for everyone).  One of them has Spongebob. 

There are a lot of GBA games which you can play on the DS. 

But there are some really good reviews both here and on the IGN.com website.  Plus if you find something interesting, check on that particular forum and ask if it would be good for a 6 year old.

She might enjoy Animal Crossing.  There's no time limits and plenty to do.  MySims are purely for the younger crowd also.  

bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#11 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
Animal Crossing and Nintendogs come most readily to mind. If she's into more traditional "games", try Clubhouse Games -- it's a collection of card games, parlor games, board games, and the like. Also, try New Super Mario Bros. I forget if there's a time limit or not, but if so it's very generous and it's a pretty easy game.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Princess Debut Tetris DS Meteos Disney Magic
jmg128thinfrgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jmg128thinfrgt
Member since 2006 • 793 Posts
Hmm maybe try looking up some reviews here on this site for some Disney games. Im not sure though.
Slashfan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Slashfan10
Member since 2008 • 1242 Posts

I definitely recommend Animal Crossing. I think she would like that and as stated above there are no time limits or pressure to do anything. You can take your time at whatever you like doing in your own town, and the game lasts forever.

I also like pokemon. It is a fun game as well with no time limits and something to be enjoyed for a long time.

razzack9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 razzack9
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

You might want to go with games that are rated E and search for their reviews on gamespot.

I would recommend:

Drawn to Life (Spongebob version)

Nintendogs

Animal Crossing

Tubenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tubenz
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts
Viva pinata, cooking mama or dementium the ward
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Rather than Nintendogs, since she is 6, may I suggest any of the PETZ series.  Just do a search for PETZ (above) and you can come up with all kinds of games - most rated E for Everyone.  You can go on the forum and ask if it's good for a 6 year old. 

They've been out for a while so you can probably pick some up second hand (always a plus). 

Pinkygirl007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pinkygirl007
Viva pinata, cooking mama or dementium the wardTubenz
common. a 6 year old and u recommend dementium the ward which i rated M. and plus u want a 6 year old to have night mares?? think before u post.
Pinkygirl007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pinkygirl007
a
[QUOTE="Tubenz"]Viva pinata, cooking mama or dementium the wardPinkygirl007
common. a 6 year old and u recommend dementium the ward which i rated M. and plus u want a 6 year old to have night mares?? think before u post.

And plus if a person is going to pick up a copy of dementium the ward for a 6 year old kid.. they must be seriously mentally ill and if that's the case why not even get grand theft auto, resident evil or even games with nudity in it for a kid.
cs_a_c_e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 cs_a_c_e
Member since 2004 • 42 Posts

1.) Nintendogs

2.) Animal Crossing

3.) Mario Kart

4.) Cooking Mama (there's always practice mode)

5.) Tamagotchi Connection

JAL200921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JAL200921
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Definitely Animal Crossing. She will love it.
JAL200921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JAL200921
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Oh and another perfect game would be "My baby Girl". If she likes barbies or Dolls she will love this game.
OnePieceSanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OnePieceSanji
Member since 2008 • 574 Posts
I don't think Animal Crossing would be good for a 6-Year old 'cause of all the reading. Nintendogs is a great choice though. Also, I've never played it, but for a 6-Year old girl Super Princess Peach sounds good.
canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 canary7
I did a little research... Nintendogs Disney Princess: Magical Jewels Imagine: Fasion Designer Littlest Pet Shop: Garden Disney's Bolt Littlest Pet Shop: Jungle Imagine Fasion Designer New York Drawn To Life: SpongeBob Squarepants Edition Disney Fairies: Tinkerbell Build-A-Bear Workshp Littlest Pet Shop: Winter Disney Club Peguin: Elite Penguin Force
edwardorito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 edwardorito
Member since 2007 • 574 Posts

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney - Lots Of text so your child will have awesome reading abilities

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Your Daughter will be super incredibly smart

Elite Beat Agents - Your daughter's hands will be indredibly fast

Duel Love - So she will learn to love men

(This is sarchasm please don't take this seriously)

TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
I did a little research... Nintendogs Disney Princess: Magical Jewels Imagine: Fasion Designer Littlest Pet Shop: Garden Disney's Bolt Littlest Pet Shop: Jungle Imagine Fasion Designer New York Drawn To Life: SpongeBob Squarepants Edition Disney Fairies: Tinkerbell Build-A-Bear Workshp Littlest Pet Shop: Winter Disney Club Peguin: Elite Penguin Forcecanary7
Those games all sound kiddy but there is a very good chance that all of them other than Nintendogs are complete crap.
Avatar image for Destry-sDestiny
Destry-sDestiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Destry-sDestiny
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts
Wonder Pe
Avatar image for Destry-sDestiny
Destry-sDestiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Destry-sDestiny
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts
*Wonder Pets
Wonder PeDestry-sDestiny
canary7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 canary7
[QUOTE="canary7"]I did a little research... Nintendogs Disney Princess: Magical Jewels Imagine: Fasion Designer Littlest Pet Shop: Garden Disney's Bolt Littlest Pet Shop: Jungle Imagine Fasion Designer New York Drawn To Life: SpongeBob Squarepants Edition Disney Fairies: Tinkerbell Build-A-Bear Workshp Littlest Pet Shop: Winter Disney Club Peguin: Elite Penguin ForceTankZorz
Those games all sound kiddy but there is a very good chance that all of them other than Nintendogs are complete crap.

I know, but it's for a 6 year old girl. I don't think she'll appreciate the others.