fuzzy vertical lines (graphics glitch)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

The first time I saw this, I thought it was just a graphic glitch in Metroid Prime 3, as it was the first game I ever noticed it on. Now I've seen it pop up in both RE4 and Zack and Wiki. I went through some of Nintendo's trouble shooting steps which told me to check if the problem occurs on the Wii menu and in the Mii Plaza. While very easy to miss, I do see the problem in those places.

What it looks like is fuzzy vertical bars, usually showing up in little patches on the screen. Some times, during high graphical stuff like FMV, it gets more dramatic. I don't really know how to describe it... it reminds me of those old emergency broadcast system warnings with the multi colored bars that are spread across the screen, except these are kinda transparent and fuzzy/pixely.

I know it's not my TV, as I just recently moved my Wii over to the spare TV to free up the living room TV for my wife and the same issue shows up on both.

Does any one have this problem or seen anything remotely close to this?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#2 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I had my Wii the second day that it came out and I've never had graphical problems...

Maybe something is wrong with your video card, but I would hope not...

Probably should call Nintendo, you might have to send it in for repairs...but I've never seen this happen so I can't help you too much

j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 j03yAsunder
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts

Can you post a pic of this? Cuz on my system I've seen verticle bars but only on certain bright colors, like in Wii Sports (Blue Sky in Wii Baseball) Zelda (Blue sky outside desert temple) and they are also visible on the wii menu too. I never noticed this until I bought an HDTV and Nintendo brand Component cables. By the way I've had my Wii since launch.

It's kinda weird cuz when I called Nintendo about this they didn't know what it was and said that it probably was nothing that if I sent it they would more than likely just send it back. I'm guessing its just a graphical flaw that appears w/ HDTV's and Component cables...

j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 j03yAsunder

Are the bars that appear on your wii like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xwT5hasrVf4

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

j03yAsunder

I have that as well, It also started on Metori Prime 3 for me as well and then I noiced it on Mario Strikers but not on games like Sonic and the secret ringd though.

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

Can you post a pic of this? Cuz on my system I've seen verticle bars but only on certain bright colors, like in Wii Sports (Blue Sky in Wii Baseball) Zelda (Blue sky outside desert temple) and they are also visible on the wii menu too. I never noticed this until I bought an HDTV and Nintendo brand Component cables. By the way I've had my Wii since launch.

It's kinda weird cuz when I called Nintendo about this they didn't know what it was and said that it probably was nothing that if I sent it they would more than likely just send it back. I'm guessing its just a graphical flaw that appears w/ HDTV's and Component cables...

j03yAsunder

Same bright colours like ones in Mario strikers, I think it was maybe because of one of their updates because it's seems like to many are having this problem, thank god I'm not the only one lol.

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

j03yAsunder

I have a similar problem, but instead of lines, it looks more like sporadic clouds of greenish pixels. They only pop up at certain times during certain games, often during fog effects and fmv. I'll be calling Nintendo soon because from what I've been reading, it sounds like a failing gpu.

Anyone remember how long the warranty lasts?

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mike1978Smith

j03yAsunder

That's EXACTLY what is happening on my Wii. I'm happy to know mine isn't a unique case.

mikebernat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mikebernat
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts

I had this problem and called Nintendo about it. They sent me a shipping label and had my wii back in about 2 weeks.. didnt spend a dime. They ask you to write a description of the problem and send it along with the wii. When I got it back there was a note saying "We didn't find anything wrong with your Wii." I was about to go apesh!t but then it said "... so we replaced everything that could cause such a problem" which included the main circuit board and fan which is just about everything. Really top-shelf service from Nintendo.

Give them a call. They will handle it.

j03yAsunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 j03yAsunder
[QUOTE="j03yAsunder"]

Mike1978Smith

That's EXACTLY what is happening on my Wii. I'm happy to know mine isn't a unique case.

Yeah in this video they said it was a fried GPU. This however wasn't the case w/ my Wii though cuz I didn't get the weird green and red pixels. I just got those faint vertical stripes in the menu and on bright colors like I said. Just call Nintendo and explain the problem w/ the pixels and all cuz I think it might be a fried GPU problem w/ your Wii. They should be able to tell you whether or not it needs repairs being that there are alot of complaints about this.

theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 theweakbear
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts
Yes, many, many people have had this problem, including me. Send it to Nintendo! This is happening to a lot of people I hear about it all the time and my friends have had it too.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts
[QUOTE="j03yAsunder"]

Mike1978Smith

you are not the only one my Wii also has a broken merory card slot a

Brains_Pinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brains_Pinky
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I think I'm seeing the same lines as most of you - if you've played Super Paper Mario, you'll see that the lines are really evident in the dialogue screens, and they're also visible in the saving screens in Super Mario Galaxy. You can see them when you press the "Home" button (in the highlights of the buttons that display onscreen) and there are small rectangles of lines visible in the "Message" screen.

I called Nintendo the other day and they told me to try a different set of cables, so I got my hands on some (different brand, even), and the problem's still there. I've also tried two different HDTVs, and the problem's visible on both, so it's not my TV that's the problem (my XBOX360 works fine via component on both).

The weird thing is this - if I press "Home" on the remote, I can see the lines in the highlights of the two buttons that display (the lightest blue area). But when you select the "Wii Menu" button that displays onscreen, and then select "No" on the "Return to menu?" screen that pops up, the lines disappear! This seems to suggest that it's a GPU problem.

I'll call Nintendo again this afternoon, but if anyone has any insight or has had the problem solved somehow, I'd love to hear it.

Nintenboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nintenboy01
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Dude, I have the exact same issue. I see faint but evenly spaced vertical lines under the Wii settings screen, and you can also make them out under the Wii Message Board. Also the lines show up in Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy. In Mario Galaxy they're especially noticeable if you read the book in Rosalina's Library. And you know what else is odd? I'm quite sure I never had these lines before I first popped in Metroid Prime 3 (maybe it had a buggy update?) but of course i could be wrong. At least the lines don't show up in the Mii channel, Photo Channel and GameCube games...
bnuss82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bnuss82
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

does anyone know if nintendo only covers the charge of this problem if your warranty is still good or do you think they will still cover it even if my warranty is up?

snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

I've never seen this before and if my wii does have it I haven't noticed. Is it really like a big deal? Does it mess with the game or hinder the visuals so bad you can't play, or is this just some minor annoying thing?

Brains_Pinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Brains_Pinky

I find it pretty annoying, but having said that, it is only visible in certain places (the ones I mentioned earlier are the places I've seen, but I'm sure there are others). But it's not as though the lines can only be seen when you're staring closely at the screen - they're visible a few metres away or more, and I'm only using a 24 inch LCD. And given the amount of dialogue in Super Paper Mario, it's quite frustrating to see these vertical lines in every single dialogue box.

Besides, if it is a hardware problem of some kind, then why put up with it when you can have it fixed for free?

Nintenboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nintenboy01
I was wondering, if you ever get the chance could you test Super Paper mario on someone else's Wii and see if the same issue with lines exists? Also if you have Mario Galaxy, do you see the lines when reading Rosalina's book? I already know of at least 3 other Wiis, including my cousin's brand-new one, that have the same issue so i'm guessing it's actually natural and not a defect in the Wii after all.
Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
I just watched the youtube video, ive never seen or heard of that before! :o i hope it gets sorted out!
Nintenboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nintenboy01
Ever since Nintendo started manufacturing their systems in China instead of Japan, it seems like the build quality and reliability has been kinda inconsistent... My old SNES only started showing a large vertical band onscreen about 6 years after I first bought it.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

I just watched the youtube video, ive never seen or heard of that before! :o i hope it gets sorted out!Yo-gan

The Youtube Video is showing the effects of a failing (or overheating) graphics chip in the Wii console. This is an isolated problem that is usually caused byheat generated by the wireless hardware when the machine is off but still connected to the Nintendo online network. Its not caused by video cables.

DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts
Yeah, this is what happens to toasted video cards.
Brains_Pinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brains_Pinky

What I'm seeing is different from the youtube vid. Here are a couple of poor quality pictures of what I'm seeing (click for big):

Trust me, the lines are much more evident in reality than they are in these pics! At first I thought the problem was with my LCD, but I tried another and the lines were still there. But I sent my Wii to the service centre today, so I guess I'll have to see what happens.
carnage646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 carnage646
Member since 2006 • 137 Posts
it happenes wen using the cables included with the wii, if ur tv supports progressive scan buy the component cables and it will clear up
Brains_Pinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brains_Pinky
I'm using component cables at 480p. I've tried two different brands, but no dice.
Nintenboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nintenboy01
I don't have Super Paper Mario yet but I do get similar looking lines in my Wii Menu, and the aforementioned Metroid prime Corruption and Mario Galaxy too. All GameCube games except for Zelda look fine though.
Nintenboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nintenboy01
Just checked my cousin's two-week old Wii yesterday and yup, same vetical lines in the Wii Menu, Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy and Metroid. I guess that settles it, it must be natural after all. Maybe some people can see the lines, others can't.
RyanWare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RyanWare
Member since 2002 • 12113 Posts

Just checked my cousin's two-week old Wii yesterday and yup, same vetical lines in the Wii Menu, Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy and Metroid. I guess that settles it, it must be natural after all. Maybe some people can see the lines, others can't.Nintenboy01

It's not "natural" it's a hardware problem that Nintendo will fix if you give them a call. The Wii isn't as reliable as Nintendo's past consoles, but their repair service is still top-notch.

MrSoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrSoda
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts
Try unhooking your cable/satilite cable from your tv, my bro's PS3 had horizontalfuzzy colorless lines that went up, and after he unhooked the cable they went away.
theweakbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theweakbear
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

it happenes wen using the cables included with the wii, if ur tv supports progressive scan buy the component cables and it will clear upcarnage646
That's not the problem. It's the Wii's overheating.

It is not 'natural', it just happens to a lot of people. When I had it, it happened with all of my games, some to a lesser extent. FOR ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE THIS ISSUE CALL NINTENDO AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS THAT HAVE THIS ISSUE TO CALL NINTENDO AS WELL.

I'm on my third Wii just to let everyone know.

Nintenboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nintenboy01
By the way, just to clarify I'm not getting flickering dots or red and green pixels or anything - just faint vertical lines, only visible in certain scenes. So far I've confirmed this on 5 different Wiis, even one that came back from Nintendo after a repair. Try booting up Metroid Prime 3 and stare at a grayish wall texture - you'll see the lines. Or swim to the very bottom of the lagoon in Deep Dark Galaxy in Mario Galaxy.
Brains_Pinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Brains_Pinky

Sorry to bump this, but I heard back from Nintendo today. I was told that there was "no fault", and was charged $AU35 for the privilege in addition to the $AU20 I had to pay to ship it myself to Nintendo in the first place. Needless to say, I'm not particularly impressed, especially given that Super Paper Mario at least is virtually unplayable because of the lines.

I was not able to speak to a tech about the problem - I was assured that they had run all diagnostic tests on the cable and the Wii and found no fault. As I said, I find it highly unlikely that both of my TVs and two different sets of component cables would show the same problem, so it seems likely either that I'm being screwed over, or that it's a design issue present in all Wiis (and perhaps not visible on some TVs?).

Just a head's up in case anyone was thinking of sending their Wii in to be repaired.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mike1978Smith

Well, I recieved my UPS sticker from Nintendo to send my Wii in, so I got it boxed up and I'm dropping it off at the UPS place tomorrow. I typed up a letter with a detailed explanation ofthe problem as well as the link to the youtube video posted earlier in this thread. I don't know if that will do any good or not, but I just wanted to provide as much information as I possibly could for the technicians (being a PC technician myself, I always appreciate that kind of stuff).

Anyways, hope it gets fixed. Wish me luck :)

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mike1978Smith
UPDATE! Got my Wii back today :) They said they verified the problem and repaired/replaced the defective components. Unfortunately they didn't give any more detail than that, but I'm happy it's fixed! Anyways, anyone having this problem should really send their Wii in while the warranty is active. The fix was totally free. Even shipping was free if you register the repair on mynintendo.com and choose to have a label shipped out to you. Anyways... back to the games! PS: I'm posting this from my Wii :)
GreySector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreySector
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

j03yAsunder

That is almost exactly what is happening to me. Up until now I haven't used my Wii for much other than playing Zelda and noticed it there. I had heard complaints about the graphics for Twilight Princess on Wii with the component cables, and just chalked it up to that. However I started playing Zack and Wiki recently and saw the exact same problem. After trying two televisions and two sets of cables (official Nintendo component and composite cables) the problem persists.

I'm going to call Nintendo to see what can be done about it (the problem has been there for pretty much as long as I've owned it) however I bought mine on launch day, and even with the 90 day extention for registering it I think it is just out of warranty.

daviniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 daviniel
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts
Its completeley normal even the gamecube does this. its not a glitch or error i personally believe the lines are there for a reason, a reason nintendo wont tell. If you play wind waker the lines are even more visible. I personally believe these lines damage your brain and cause epilepsy. I consider it a way to avenge Japan from us Americans. No, im not a basher, I love nintendo and have every single zelda and mario games out there e~cept for the cd-i games. Its just a small hunch that doesnt go away remember WW II. Also, you can check online for proof.
daviniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 daviniel
Member since 2006 • 187 Posts
sorry, the lines that appear in the youtube video are not the same ones i am talking about. The ones im talking about are still vertical and barely visible.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
Better send it to Nintendo.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

When I was playing Brawl's single player I noticed these white lines on these puppet like enemies and I thought my sceen was messing up or something, but I realize those white lines belonged to those puppet like enemies hanging from the trees, whew.

frosty_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 frosty_shark
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts
i had the same thing on mine. i phone nintendo they said it was my graphics card and to send it in. i sent it in and got it back in 2 week. they said my wii was overheating and it had affected my graphic card. price FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD 1 NINTENDO!!!!!