Fixing a broken DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

Hello, I was just curious as to what might be wrong with my Cousins Nintendo DS.

Initially, he says it was broke after he dropped it, but this was while he was in another country. I figured that since countries often use different power wattage that it might have been what caused his nitendo ds to break (after I took my nintendo 64 abroad in those days of yore, I had to replace the busted power adapter because of this).

The screen turns on for about a second and then the system shuts down.

I did some research and this seems to describe the symptoms precisely.

Does this seem right? I'm just trying to zone in on what's wrong since there could be a plethora of other things with these symptoms. Would a blown out fuse be the result of charging the DS with a different power wattage? It could very well be the fall that messed his DS up but I just want to be sure before trying to fix it.

Thanks.

Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Siofen

Oh another thing that I recall him telling me was that something was loose inside cause you can hear it when you shake the DS, I just verified this. It seems another possibility Is that the ribbon cable Is loose. I'm gonna order a nitendo ds screw driver to determine whats shaking before fiddling with the fuses.

kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kaze347
Member since 2006 • 1270 Posts

I really wish I could help but I'm posting to ask if you've ever taken a DS apart and if so how hard do you think it would be to replace the shell ? (my hinge is cracked and if it seems simple enough I'll just reshell it) Sorry for not being able to help, I really am.

Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Siofen
I haven't but I'd imagine It wouldn't be too hard provided you use common sense (the star peg doesn't go into the round hole dummy!) I've never really had any problems disassembling and reassembling electronics using that logic.
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaze347

Well I think to replace the shell you have to do some solering and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that but your logic does seem to make sense. If you do decide to open it up would you mind letting me know how easy of a job you thinkreplacing the shellwould be ?

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

His DS is still on warranty? Y'know... if you open it, it will null the warranty.

tekky14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 tekky14
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts

I have experience with the inside workings of a ds: I had to take one apart because it had the same symptoms yours seems to have. it turns out that the wide cable thing that connects to the DS' top screen was nicked, so I couldn't fix it. I had to take apart another DS because the hinge broke and I ended up nicking the cable accidentally, which cause the top screen to stop working, and in a last attempt to get it working again, I cut both cables in half and glued-taped to unbroken parts back together in the hope that they would catch a signal, but unfortunately, it does the same as the others.

When turned on, it blinks and powers off.

My advice to you would be to take extreme caution with that bronze-wide cable, it can be disastrous if you don't know what you're doing.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts

Well I think to replace the shell you have to do some solering and I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that but your logic does seem to make sense. If you do decide to open it up would you mind letting me know how easy of a job you thinkreplacing the shellwould be ?

kaze347
what ???? do you know what soldering is?? how would a plastic shell require soldering..... no its just replacing a shell its very easy as long as you follow online guides and requires only screwing and unscrewing a certain set of screws. Soldering is metal on metal bonding and nowhere on a DS is this required.
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

His DS is still on warranty? Y'know... if you open it, it will null the warranty.

meiaman
Yea I wouldn't do that unless I really had to.
kaze347

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kaze347

[QUOTE="kaze347"]

ColdfireTrilogy

what ???? do you know what soldering is?? how would a plastic shell require soldering..... no its just replacing a shell its very easy as long as you follow online guides and requires only screwing and unscrewing a certain set of screws. Soldering is metal on metal bonding and nowhere on a DS is this required.

Well as I have absolutely no experience here I thought soldering wires back together was indeed soldering. Sorry.

tayrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tayrules
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi my ds top screen is broken and when i boot it the top screen turns white because the hinge is broken and i was wondering whether anybody knows where to find a replacement. thanks. tayurles