First time playing a Fire Emblem game... wow.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

Fire Emblem has always been a series that I've eyeballed. Every time I saw one of the titles on store I would tell myself, "Daaaang son, heard this game was good. I should try it some time". But of course... I would just walk past it again, and never play it.

Then yesterday, I bought Fire Emblem Awakening, and played it for the first time....

:o

Wow, I have certainly been missing out. And now i regret all the opportunities I had to purchase any of the other fire emblem games.... It's such an awesome tactical RPG. Terrain levels, weapon choice, permanent death of characters... there's so much depth in the battle system of the game.

Just goes to show that sometimes it's best to just go ahead and take a plunge when eyeballing a game, cuz in the end.. you never knwo what to expect :D.

Have you guys played anything where you were doubtful, and then after playing, you were just hooked?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

On the 3DS no. Have investigated all the games I have before buying them.

Now, that should have happened with the PC Games I have although can't remember one of them.

Fire Emblem is a great franchise TC. Glad you are enjoying Awakening.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RatedSTARZ

On the 3DS no. Have investigated all the games I have before buying them.

Now, that should have happened with the PC Games I have although can't remember one of them.

Fire Emblem is a great franchise TC. Glad you are enjoying Awakening.

Miroku32
Thanks man :). Fire Emblem is such a great game :D. Now I hope that some of these new fire emblem characters make it into the new Smash Bros :P.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

i couldn't care less about 999 until i was practically forced to play it. and now it sits comfortably on my list of favorite games of all time.

more recently (read: yesterday), i played FTL for the first time. i'm actually pretty mad that no one shoved this game down my throat sooner >.>

PlusFour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PlusFour
Member since 2011 • 125 Posts

I'm a bit like yourself except i'd heard nothing about the series and had no idea there was a series in the first place lol. Picked up a 3DS a couple months back mainly just to see how pokemon is these days. Picked up Fire Emblem Awakening after reading all the great reviews for it. My initial hour or so i was thinking "Is this it?", "Well this kinda sucks" but i've really gotten into it now and i can't put it down. On chapter 13 now and i've got 20 hours logged on it so well worth the money. Apologies for the long post 

:P

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RatedSTARZ

I'm a bit like yourself except i'd heard nothing about the series and had no idea there was a series in the first place lol. Picked up a 3DS a couple months back mainly just to see how pokemon is these days. Picked up Fire Emblem Awakening after reading all the great reviews for it. My initial hour or so i was thinking "Is this it?", "Well this kinda sucks" but i've really gotten into it now and i can't put it down. On chapter 13 now and i've got 20 hours logged on it so well worth the money. Apologies for the long post 

:P

PlusFour
Same here man :). First hour I was like hmmm... not bad not bad... 10 hours later, OH MY GAWD, this game is just bleeding awesomeness! lol
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Tales of the Abyss is my most recent. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with most JRPGs in that I love the worlds and the stories, but I hate the combat systems outside of a tactical grid. When I heard about the game having a real time battle system that rewarded skill I was interested, but didn't expect much. Well.. a week later and 30 hours into the game and I LOVE it. The characters, the setting, the skits, the combat system, the item system, and the story are all fantastic.

If Namco put out more of the games on the 3DS I would love them forever.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I'll second both Fire Emblem: Awakening and 999 as games I had little interest in until I took the plunge this year. In both cases I'm incredibly glad I did. I don't know why I didn't check out Fire Emblem sooner since it's from the makers of Advance Wars.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts
999 is great but don't get too excited about it. I enjoyed it but I'm kinda disappointed considering all the hype it gets. I pretty much expected it to be the DS's own Planescape Torment.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

I was patiently (not so much actually) waiting for Fire Emblem to be released here since it was announced in Japan. My friend in middle school told me how awesome FE7 was, I took the plunge, and now I love the series, along with SMT, is fighting for number 1 in my heart. I really remember Tales of the Abyss and Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2 giving me that feeling though, and I'm glad I am able to play the former on the 3DS again.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Kingdom Hearts always seemed like a stupid idea until my friend got it and I gave it a shot. Now I think it's an amazing stupid idea. :)

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

How long does it take before the game gets interesting? Ive played it for an hour and still was kind of bored.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

How long does it take before the game gets interesting? Ive played it for an hour and still was kind of bored.

slipknot0129
depends on why you were bored.
XplicitVibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XplicitVibe
Member since 2013 • 29 Posts
I still plan to get a 3DS and this game! plus all the other killer titles coming to the 3DS.
afterworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 afterworld
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I was doubtful about the Etrian Odyssey series, and then it became like my new crack! Seriously great game, especially the latest release: IV Legends of the Titan.
Spike1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Spike1988
Member since 2003 • 1631 Posts
I was the same with Fire Emblem. I'd always seen them and heard good things but had never played one. Finally I picked up Awakening with my new 3DS. Unfortunately I was let down. It wasn't the sort of game I was after. I liked the strategic element of it, but the fact that your weapons break and can't (under normal circumstances) be repaired was so dumb. It made it so there was no point in wasting your money upgrading weapons because they'd just break anyway. If they put in a deeper item upgrade system it would have been far better. I liked the class system though. I ended up forcing myself to finish the game even if it wasn't fantastic in my opinion and traded it in the next day.