DSi has more RAM than DS lite!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

"Also built into the Nintendo DSi is a new, enhanced version of the Opera browser that works much more quickly than the one that was released for the Nintendo DS nearly two years ago. Because the original DS Browser required an external memory pack and the DSi version of the browser does not, it is expected that the DSi has much more on-board RAM than the current model does. And since the browser operates much more quickly than the one made for the DS and DSLite, this indicates that the DSi features more processing power than the current DS model."

http://ds.ign.com/articles/917/917200p2.html

i just realized it! since the GBA slot was used to add more RAM to the original DS (4mb i believe) so it could run the web browser this new DSi doesn't have the GBA slot, it has a built in browser, and hands on have said the DSi's web browser it much improved over the one released on the original DS so the DSi must have more built in RAM which could be used for games!

question is does it have 4mb RAM like the DS, 8mb like the DS with the web browser expansion (which had no audio/video DSi will have audio and video) or is it slightly more? 12 or 16mb?

also its worth noting that usually devs. don't use the 33mhz CPU in the DS lite for DS games, they just use the 3d capable 67mhz CPU to render images in 3D on only one screen. usually that 33mhz CPU is used just to run GBA games

but now there is no GBA slot, but the CPU remains. so unless i'm mistaken and think no DS game has used both the 67mhz CPU and the 33mhz CPU at the same time on one DS game, this means the DS effectively has a increased CPU to 100mhz.

with possibly more RAM. it has to have more RAM. how can this new opera browser handle audio and video all of a sudden?

plz give feedback

red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts
i know it sux this thing wont have mp3 playback support. converting to acc it tedious. im still getting one, as i like to spend money on ninty products...im a sucker!
Jangonov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jangonov
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts
It is quite possible that this will be used in the games. But keep in mind that the developers have to utelise this funtion first. Probably nintendo will come out with a new game that will use every feature of the new ds and developers will follow in their making of DSi exclusive software soon. Kinda like how first party wii games set the bar for the others?
Kitkat_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kitkat_McGee
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
What do all those numbers mean? The new iDS is gonna be better, right?
Avatar image for nintendonerd101
nintendonerd101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 nintendonerd101
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

I know this much, if you are playing the N64 with it's normal 4mb of RAM, the games tended to look somewhat choppy and pixelated and operated somewhat slowly, and if you implemented the N64's RAM expansion pack, the graphics would smooth out drastically on all games and the framerate increases as well. It's just that there were only a few games that really used the feature to enhance the gameplay of certain games (by allowing more onscreen characters, and additional areas for example). What this likely means is that if the DSI has additional RAM, then the graphics on the system will likely become much smoother than they currently are.

I also know that when playing Super Smash Brothers on the N64, the graphics were somewhat fuzzy and the gameplay was horribly slow, but when playing it on the Wii (I am not going to reveal how to do this for my own protection) the graphics really become quite beautiful and the game runs about as fast as Melee, so with that in mind, if the DSI has such an increase in RAM, that'll likely help most games in a similar fashion.

SUPA_GLUSTEE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SUPA_GLUSTEE
Member since 2008 • 958 Posts

big deal

danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts
LOL so the loading time will be quicker? Wait.............. that is for the PSP.
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts

What do all those numbers mean? The new iDS is gonna be better, right?Kitkat_McGee

dude its DSi not iDS

golden-biscuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 golden-biscuit
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

the dsi will have more ram than the ds lite that for sure, but it will not affect the graphics and gameplay, in other words graphics of he dsi and the ones with ds and ds lite will be just the same. During the nintendo conference Iwata shows some line of games that are going to be released in the end of 2008 and 2009, after showing the video, he himslef said" the games being shows in the video u all always c the dsi on it but the games can be also play in the ds and ds lite as well with no difference".

And if the more ram can really smooth the graphics or make the enhancing the graphics, Nintendo will surely make this a important buying point to all consumer, i mean come on if they know dsi have better graphics capabablilty they will surely report it on the conference, but once again i am disapointed as always nintendo did not mention anything about improve graphics on the dsi, they just say it will have audio playback capability, bigger scree,thinner,built in memory for software like editing pictures.

so i dun reali think dsi will have improve graphics , graphics will be just the same as ds and ds lite, nintendo also did not the new dsi lcd screen will have better resolution it will once again be the same as ds and ds lite. well i could be wrong give some feedback guys what do u think, willl the dsi have beter graphics than ds and ds lite, if dsi reali going to have betetr graphics i will certainly going to get it , but if is not i rather stick to my nds lite and psp slim

DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts
The RAM is going to be helpful for the DSWare games, since they are running on software based emulation much like the Wii, the extra RAM will be needed to prevent slowdowns.