DS Lite- top screen has gone white

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#1 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Mind the ryhme in the title but I have a problem here. I think it can be somewhat easily solved but I want to know what the best thing to do is.

As the title says the top screen of my DS Lite has gone completely white and does nothing else when I turn it on. It's completely my fault so this didn't just happen randomly.

I took a quick look on eBay and I saw plently of the top screens themselves being sold for about $15, and it comes with the special screwdriver thingy you apparently need. But I don't know how easy that would be to do that and if it would 100% solve the problem. The top part of my DS is obviously damaged and I've always thought you could completely detatch the top section and replace it. I didn't know you could just replace the screen.

So... what shall I do?

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SoNin360
Someone's gotta know :(
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

I got no clue... I'm sorry wish I could help. :(

tokra213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 tokra213
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts

hope that nintendo will fix it if you call them or just find a new one

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SoNin360
I don't know if I want to contact Nintendo on this one... i'll try to look up something on the site to see if they can maybe send a part or something. but i sitll need to know how much trouble it would be to replace either the screen itself or the entire top part of my DS. I don't want to break it lol ive had it for only like 8 months or something...
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#6 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

It sounds like you screen is cracked. You can talk to Nintendo about it but I'm sure they will make you pay a good bit to have it fixed, if they agree to fix it at all (although, make sure you talk to them before you take apart you DS).Your best bet is to buy the top screen and make sure you get the screwdriver as well.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SoNin360

It sounds like you screen is cracked. You can talk to Nintendo about it but I'm sure they will make you pay a good bit to have it fixed, if they agree to fix it at all (although, make sure you talk to them before you take apart you DS).Your best bet is to buy the top screen and make sure you get the screwdriver as well.

Amnesiac23
There is no outer damage at all and I obviously can't see inside of it. I checked out there website and I MIGHT be able to send it in for a repair/replacement for free because apparently I have a 1 year warranty on it :) unfortunately my internet decided to not cooperate when I got to the end of the request thingy... so i'll have to try again (later or some other day because I have no patience here with this computer) and I'll have to see what they say about it. I should have thought of this earlier but I still don't know what they will do or how long it will take. Luckily I can use my sister's DS... which isn't as bad as it sounds lol.
Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#8 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

It's the LCD that gets cracked so most often you will never see any outside damage. So most likely that is what happened.

You can call Nintendo if you don't want to wait. I don't know what the number is though, but you can call almost any GameStop and get the number from them.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

No clue. Sorry bro.

meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts

Mind the ryhme in the title but I have a problem here. I think it can be somewhat easily solved but I want to know what the best thing to do is.

As the title says the top screen of my DS Lite has gone completely white and does nothing else when I turn it on. It's completely my fault so this didn't just happen randomly.

I took a quick look on eBay and I saw plently of the top screens themselves being sold for about $15, and it comes with the special screwdriver thingy you apparently need. But I don't know how easy that would be to do that and if it would 100% solve the problem. The top part of my DS is obviously damaged and I've always thought you could completely detatch the top section and replace it. I didn't know you could just replace the screen.

So... what shall I do?

SoNin360
Dude, i had the same problem some months ago, but it was the bottom screen instead, it broke when the DS fell open on the ground (my cousin was playing with it and fell off the bed), so yeah, all i just got was a white screen. I sent it to a reliable shop and they fixed it by replacing a screen chip that got broken, if you don`t know how to operate the DS, i suggest you send either to Nintendo or do the same as i did, find some reliable shop that can do repairs. Note that this may null your warranty if you still have it.
kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

So... what shall I do?

SoNin360
thats the same thing that happen to my ds phat.. i think it's the ribbon cord is getting pinched or something
Avatar image for Lieutenat_Ous21
Lieutenat_Ous21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Lieutenat_Ous21
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I have that same freaking problem with the top screen however it has black lines on the top. SOMEONE HELP ME NAO >;O
CCpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 CCpotter
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts

It's not like just change some press buttons, i assume that would be very complicated, at least for me, you are gonna need do some welding, which sounds like, err....

Good try there any way! you deserve encouragment.