ds games look poor on the 3ds? ********!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

i was told the graphics of DS were gonna look Fed up on the 3ds and i can say i dont notice enough difference to merit the amount of *****in i heard

i bought a dsi under the assumption it was gonna look horrible (cause im a real stickler for that kinda thing, not so much graphics as port translation) and i totally wasted that money, my own fault but still

what r ur thoughts on DS games on the 3ds?

BlueCash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 BlueCash
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

I'm disappointed in the lose of quality, however it's not a huge problem for me because I will be buying only 3DS games from now on anyway.

Avatar image for MicrosoftISdumb
MicrosoftISdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 MicrosoftISdumb
Member since 2005 • 1959 Posts

I never owned a DS (probably the only person on earth :P ) but I've been buying DS games for my 3DS and they look fine. To be really honest with you, I wouldn't even know if the graphics are worse than what they are supposed to be. All the text I've encountered in games are easily legible and the graphics look to me like fine (it doesn't look pixalated like some people made it out to be).

I think people just like to complain... most likely Sony fanboys, so desperate!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
I fully agree with you TC. people are making mountans out of things that don't even qualify as molehills and yes, I've spent a decent amount of time with Pokemon Black, Megaman Zero collection and Heartgold
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

ppl are complaining that already pixelated games look 1% more pixelated. Ignore them.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

I cant tell the difference lol

unknown96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 unknown96
Member since 2008 • 123 Posts

You can hold select while you boot the game to make it look like the standard ds, but the screen is soooo small :(

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I can notice a difference, but it's a lot clearer and easier to see, so in some ways better. It's an ok tradeoff for me. Besides, it doesn't look bad and I don't even notice after playing for a minute or two. Then again I had no problems playing Gameboy games on the Super Gameboy either and was surprised that so many people thought they looked like crap on the SGB.

Keving7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Keving7
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

its not as sharp on the 3ds but that is due to the screen size increase. While its noticeable in comparison, it's really no big deal to me after a while i have come to ignore it

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
It is not a loss of quality. What is happening is that the games look "better" on the ds because it is on a smaller more dense screen. It properly fits the resolution on the ds so it looks "clear and smooth". However, when you blow up the smaller resolution that DS games use and put it on a larger screen you can start to see jaggies and it looks stretched. It's like playing the DS on the PC; even with high graphic option filters it still looks awful playing it in full screen because the image is so stretched and all of the fallacies and problems can be nitpicked to oblivion, pixels become more apparent. So, really, don't think you're getting a downgrade with playing a ds game on the 3ds. Same reason why 360 and ps3 games look awful on large screen TVs.
DethSkematik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

#11 DethSkematik
Member since 2008 • 3900 Posts
So far I only played Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Demenitia on the 3DS...granted, I haven't played these on the original DS, but they look fine to me :P (opposed to things I've heard like longer loading times and the like). Then again, I don't plan on getting a lot of DS games for it, I'm just waiting for the killer lineup for the 3DS to arrive....those games were just meant to tide me over, and I'm just picking up games that were awesome that I missed out on.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It is not a loss of quality. What is happening is that the games look "better" on the ds because it is on a smaller more dense screen. It properly fits the resolution on the ds so it looks "clear and smooth". However, when you blow up the smaller resolution that DS games use and put it on a larger screen you can start to see jaggies and it looks stretched. It's like playing the DS on the PC; even with high graphic option filters it still looks awful playing it in full screen because the image is so stretched and all of the fallacies and problems can be nitpicked to oblivion, pixels become more apparent. So, really, don't think you're getting a downgrade with playing a ds game on the 3ds. Same reason why 360 and ps3 games look awful on large screen TVs.Bigsteve3570
Yeah, it's unavoidable. Nintendo would've had to make the 3DS screens the same resolution as the DS screens for DS games to look perfect. I don't think many of us would want to sacrifice higher resolution for slightly better-looking backwards compatibility.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#13 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I haven't tried my DS games out on the 3DS yet, but from what I've been hearing, it's enough to make me want to keep my Lite out. Honestly, though, it's not hard to understand why the quality of a DS game's graphics dips a bit on the 3DS. When you take something that is considered low-res and display it on a high-res screen, you're in essence magnifying the game's flaws. Jagged lines, pixels, textures, etc., aren't going to look as sharp. It's the exact same reason why PS2 and Xbox games look awful on an HDTV.
Avatar image for import_fighter1
import_fighter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 import_fighter1
Member since 2003 • 1218 Posts

I never owned a DS (probably the only person on earth :P ) but I've been buying DS games for my 3DS and they look fine. To be really honest with you, I wouldn't even know if the graphics are worse than what they are supposed to be. All the text I've encountered in games are easily legible and the graphics look to me like fine (it doesn't look pixalated like some people made it out to be).

I think people just like to complain... most likely Sony fanboys, so desperate!

MicrosoftISdumb
You are not alone. I feel the same way. I also only owned a dsi xl for about a month before I bought the 3ds. I don't see a problem with the graphics.
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

Press and hold SELECT when you are selecting the DS game from the menu on the 3DS, instead of pressing A or start or whatever. This will make the DS game play in the regular resolution from a DS, not the 3DS's much larger resolution.

Fun fact of the day!

MelterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 MelterX
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I think the graphics actually look better than the DSi I have. On the DSi the pixel density is so low I can actually count the pixels with my eyes. On the 3DS the DS games are stretched to fit the higher pixel density and look much better. Yes they are a bit blurrier but I'd take that over playing on such a low pixel density screen any day. As an added side effect the slight blurriness of DS games on the 3DS adds a sort of ghetto anti aliasing to the game, which I like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think DS games look fine on the 3DS, personally. Just a bunch of people complaining about something that works fine.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
When you upscale an image like that, it's going to affect the image. Not everyone will be bothered by it, but for those of us who are bothered by it, DS games can also be played in their native resolution. I just wish it could remember my preferred resolution settings so I don't have to hold down Start every time I launch a DS game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
When you upscale an image like that, it's going to affect the image. Not everyone will be bothered by it, but for those of us who are bothered by it, DS games can also be played in their native resolution. I just wish it could remember my preferred resolution settings so I don't have to hold down Start every time I launch a DS game.LordAndrew
Yeah you got a good point there. Having to hold start every time you fire it up sounds primitive.
emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

I clearly see a difference, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I like how it gives some of my DS games an old-school look (am I the only one?).

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

If there was a difference, I didn't notice... :/

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Zanoh
Same here, even the load times felt the same.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

ppl are complaining that already pixelated games look 1% more pixelated. Ignore them.

painguy1

+1

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LordAndrew

painguy1
Yeah, ignore them. People who say that don't know what "pixelated" means.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i had to buy a ds game to see how bad it looked...once i got it i was like..wth looks pretty darn awesome...

maybe the actual ds looks slightly sharper...maybe

oh and that hold select trick sucks...the screen is too small and looks exactlty the same

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
i've never had the ds so it looks amazing to me :P i only have pokemon white and bowser's inside story though :)
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LordAndrew

the screen is too small and looks exactlty the same

KBFloYd
The fact that it's smaller means that it's not exactly the same. You only need to use it if you don't like the look of the upscaling. If you don't see a difference there's no need to use it.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I have yet to try it out. I hope not to be dissapointed in yet another aspect of the system.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"][QUOTE="Zanoh"]

Same here, even the load times felt the same.

Lol, I don't remember a DS game with a loading screen.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Hmm....odd...From what I can tell... the load up times for the 3DS for Ds games feel the same to me....

You can also get DS games to be in therenative resolution by holding L and R while beginning the DS game aplication, and from what I can tell it keeps the native resolution after that so that you don't have keep on doing it....but that's just my experience with it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LordAndrew

Hmm....odd...From what I can tell... the load up times for the 3DS for Ds games feel the same to me....

You can also get DS games to be in therenative resolution by holding L and R while beginning the DS game aplication, and from what I can tell it keeps the native resolution after that so that you don't have keep on doing it....but that's just my experience with it.

Gamingclone
You have to use Start or Select, and you have to do it every time. If you don't hold the button down while the game is starting, you're not seeing the game in its native resolution.
kirkonacid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kirkonacid
Member since 2010 • 486 Posts

I just pushed the start button when selecting the game and didn't see any problems.

riariases

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 riariases
Member since 2007 • 2335 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigsteve3570"]It is not a loss of quality. What is happening is that the games look "better" on the ds because it is on a smaller more dense screen. It properly fits the resolution on the ds so it looks "clear and smooth". However, when you blow up the smaller resolution that DS games use and put it on a larger screen you can start to see jaggies and it looks stretched. It's like playing the DS on the PC; even with high graphic option filters it still looks awful playing it in full screen because the image is so stretched and all of the fallacies and problems can be nitpicked to oblivion, pixels become more apparent. So, really, don't think you're getting a downgrade with playing a ds game on the 3ds. Same reason why 360 and ps3 games look awful on large screen TVs.JordanElek

Yeah, it's unavoidable. Nintendo would've had to make the 3DS screens the same resolution as the DS screens for DS games to look perfect. I don't think many of us would want to sacrifice higher resolution for slightly better-looking backwards compatibility.

Or they could have just made the resolution x4. That way there is no upscaling or anything. Thats what the NGP is doing so backwards compatibility will lose nothing. But either way, people are really just being picky b****es. They were saying things like "You can't read text." and " Its so blurry that I can't make out what's what." but thats all lies.You can see the text and read it on the 3DS just as good as on the DS and its not blurry at all. 2D games like Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story or Professor Layton games look virtually the same and aren't blurred at all. Its the 3D games that look slightly blurred but its such a marginally small difference that it shouldn't bother anyone. I guess people just don't like change.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LordAndrew

It is blurry, because that's what upscaling does. It's not impossible or even difficult to read text though. Who said that?

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I've spent like 120 hours in Pokemon White and it looks better on a DSi/DSLite than on a 3DS. But since I only have a 3DS now I got used to the tiny screen and it isn't that bad (I prefer that over the blurry looks).

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
Is complaining about the graphic quality of DS games like complaining about the video quality of VHS movies on a HDTV? How many pixels on the top screen on the DS compared to the top screen on the DS?
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts

It is blurry, because that's what upscaling does. It's not impossible or even difficult to read text though. Who said that?

LordAndrew
Upscaling pixelates images. Nintendo's smoothing algorithm rounds off the pixelated images and makes it appear "blurry." At first the games looked a little strange but now I don't even notice the difference.