Don't Buy from EBGames Canada if you can help it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slingblade100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 slingblade100
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts
I'm going to be cancelling my pre-order from EBgames canada for Super Mario Galaxy unless they lower their prices. Toys "R" Us,BestBuy,Futureshop and Wal-Mart all have Super Mario Galaxy and many other wii games for $49.99 while EBgame have all the popular Wii games listed for $59.99. I don't mind possibly waiting a bit longer to save an extra $10.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
I hear ya on this one. I preordered and paid for my copy of Galaxy at EB and I was shocked to find that it was $59. When everyone else is selling it for $49, you'd think EB would get their act together. Ah, what can ya do.
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
at a bunch of places like best buy future shop wal mart and even lablaws new wii games in canada are now 49.99 but eb has not changed this
Lanko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lanko
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Force it on them, raise a stink. Go in there with a print out of toy's R us prices, or their own american prices.

EBgames canada DOES price matching... They just avoid it at all costs. Insist on speaking to the manager, insist on calling the district manager.

Arguments for not price matching america are things like

Shipping costs: (erm we still get the games from japan, just like the americans do, is shipping in canada trully that much more expensive?)

date of purchase: Some retailers made their orders before the dollar came down and take a gaurenteed loss by price matching now. (for the record I agree with this argument, we can't financially ruin our own buisnesses just to get a discount) BUT when do the orders for new releases go out? Shouldn't retailers have been paying reduced prices on their orders of new releases like galaxies?

EBgames screws us so many ways, they need a wake up call.

Mario Galaxies might just be the platform consumers need. Don't cancel your pre-roder at ebgames yet. pre-order elsewhere as a back up. Go to ebgames, raise a stink Get the managers involved. Aim for getting the District managers involved. And then when they turn you down... well thats why you pre-ordered elsewhere. and this way, you did what you could to raise awareness of the price gouging. Maybe going to the store to find 40+ plus gamers demanding realistic prices will have an effect on them?

Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
EB is a crooked business.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thebisonx
When I go to grab my copy of Mario Galaxy, I'll definitely make a point of mentioning how ridiculous it is that I'm paying $10 more for nothing at all. I don't expect anything to be done about it, but one word is better than none.
Lanko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lanko

I've worked for EBgames. This is how it works

Customer "Hi, I'd like you to match this price please"

Retailer "I'm sorry, but we can't do price matching unless you bring in a flier or receit or some evidence of the price in the other store. And we don't price match to promotional prices like sales. It has to be their regular price"

Customer "Here you go"

At This point, he's panicing... normally thats enough to discourage a customer from attempting a price comparison.

Oh I'm sorry, we don't do price matching on new release items. (He's lying, he just made that up to cover his own butt from head office. Demand to speak to the manager, they'll probably stick with the claim. Pull out your cell phones and insist on a number for their district manager, or insist they call themselves.)

Some stores will let you contact the district manager, who, probably has the spine of a jelly fish and will allow the price drop. Other stores won't allow it, in which case you call or email head office and inform them of their stubborn refusal to allow you to contact them. And head office comes down hard on the store for poor customer relations.

slingblade100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 slingblade100
Member since 2005 • 140 Posts

I went down there to cancel and they said they'll price match it. They'll phone futureshop/bestbuy the day of to verify they are selling it at $49.99. If they don't pricematch it on that day i'll cancel it on the spot and then go across the street to Toys'R'Us

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2904446&cp=2567324.2904446

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10075830&logon=&langid=EN

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10075830&catid=24348&logon=&langid=EN

Proof incase you were wondering.

thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thebisonx

I just called the EB here in Winnipeg where I've preordered my copy of Mario Galaxy and asked whether or not they'd be dropping the price by $10 because everywhere else is selling it for $49. He told me that $59 is their "tentative price" and if on Tuesday they are selling it for $49, they will refund my extra $10.

We'll see how that goes....

Lanko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lanko
Good, they're considering the possibility.
Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts
I had it pre-ordered at EB, but I saw Future Shop had it for 49.99, and I also saw that every new release at FS was at the American price. Until EB does this, I'm not shopping there anymore. So I'm cancelling my pre-order for SMG.
sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
I just picked up Zack and Wiki yesterday and was suprised that they were selling it for $44. I was just in the states on the weekend and it's $39 over there. I got hosed.
gamer6464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 gamer6464
Member since 2006 • 2239 Posts

Walmart, future shop have started doing the lower price, yet toys r us and zellers are still at the higher one here in BC. Werent they supposed to go down to 49 also?

Haligonian_Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Haligonian_Wii
Member since 2007 • 488 Posts

Since the Canadian Dollar started rising, prices for me have dropped.

EB, for me, is the best place to go.