Donkey Kong 64/ Banjo-Kazooie 64 any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

^topic.

The only true 3d platformer I really got into during the N64 erawas Mario64, I couldn't put it down.

I tried Donkey Kong and Banjo, but I didn't play it enough to warrant an actual opinion.

What did all of you think about those 2 games and if they'd be worthy VC purchases (well, if Ninty can secure rights to release Banjo-Kazooie 64)?

Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts

Banjo Kazooie... ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY!

Donkey Kong 64 is awesome, but not on the same level as Banjo's awesomeness. Unforunately, I feel as though it won't be on VC due to RARE and Microsoft. But BK64, awesome. I never played the second one. :(

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 Optusnet
Member since 2003 • 11065 Posts

DK64 was one of the most frustratingly fun (if that makes sense) platformers I've ever played. It's rewarding in parts, heck it's damn awesome in parts.It has it's own personality, an awesome music score, great graphics for its time, solid multiplayer and awesome variety of Kongs and abilities,but as you try to get the last 20 or so bananas, the sheer difficulty and the odd major glitch almost made me burn the N64, tear the cartridge in half and swear Rare was working for the Devil.

I was 12 at the time. I'd give it a 8.0. It's the most up-to-date and recent chapter in the DK universe, so if you like your DK, and you really enjoyed platformers like Mario 64,get the game but get it as cheap as you can get it.

As for Banjo Kazooie......I dunno....I think this is just me, but I found BK too hard too quickly. Some....no, many parts of the game were just too unforgiving. It's great if you have the patience and tolerance. Yet for some strange reason, I foundBanjo Tooie was immensely better. The multiplayer was as solid as Goldeneye's, the adventure was bigger and better, the level design was 1000X better and it was waymore funny. The difficulty was much more capable (but still got **** hard for the last few Jiggies) and I found it one of the best games of the generation.

BK or BT won't make it on VC though because of the 3rd installment coming on 360. Live Arcade will probably nab both BK's.

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Optusnet

Donkey Kong 64 is awesome, but not on the same level as Banjo's awesomeness. Unforunately, I feel as though it won't be on VC due to RARE and Microsoft. But BK64, awesome. I never played the second one. :(

Homesrfan

WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!??? Get the hell of these boards, and hunt it down!! Don't have a N64 anymore? BUY ONE! How can you love the first game and miss out on the 2nd one?? That's likecoming first in any event in the Olympics, and deciding you're going to quit while you're ahead.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Banjo > M64 Rare > Nintendo
Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Optusnet

Banjo > M64 Rare > Nintendotomarlyn

I agree that Rare > Nintendo, but I don't agree to Banjo > Mario. Mario still did 3D better.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Banjo > M64 Rare > NintendoOptusnet

I agree that Rare > Nintendo, but I don't agree to Banjo > Mario. Mario still did 3D better.

Bah, although I felt M64 was the greatest game ever upon release I thought Banjo just whent one better in every deparyment. Gameplay, characters (Blinky FTW), story, graphics, variety, depth, music, presentation. Its all my opinion of course.
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts
THose are awsome. I just recently bought a DK64 again because my brother lost it.
madden927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 madden927
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Banjo was amazing. That was a 64 classic. And sadly Rare is owned by Microsoft and it makes me cry every day knowing that the Wii will never see what it rightfully should see...... Goldeneye for the 64.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tomarlyn
Was the mole in Banjo Kazooie called Bubbles or Blinky? Ahhh!
mllrmatt8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mllrmatt8
Member since 2007 • 626 Posts
bottles i think
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tomarlyn
bottles i thinkmllrmatt8
3rd time's the charm.
rebfan1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rebfan1993
Member since 2006 • 165 Posts

Homesrfan

YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!!! Banjo Kazooie was an instant classic. BUT TOOIE WAS AWESOME. I love them both about the same, but if I had to choose I'd pick Tooie.

Optusnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Optusnet
[QUOTE="Optusnet"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Banjo > M64 Rare > Nintendotomarlyn

Bah, although I felt M64 was the greatest game ever upon release I thought Banjo just whent one better in every deparyment. Gameplay, characters (Blinky FTW), story, graphics, variety, depth, music, presentation. Its all my opinion of course.

Aaarrgh....the ol' 'in my opinion' statement.....gets me every time!

Who was the the mole in the second game? No, not Gruntilda, the ANIMAL mole who was a sargent and would teach you moves? He was AWESOME.

Oh yeah, and did it ever occur to you toothat Humba Wumba's bazookas were too massive for a kid's game? A bit random, but I was 10 when I played that - and I even thought they were 'too' big then.

PandaSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PandaSamurai
Member since 2004 • 1152 Posts
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"][QUOTE="Optusnet"]

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]Banjo > M64 Rare > NintendoOptusnet

Aaarrgh....the ol' 'in my opinion' statement.....gets me every time!

Who was the the mole in the second game? No, not Gruntilda, the ANIMAL mole who was a sargent and would teach you moves? He was AWESOME.

Oh yeah, and did it ever occur to you toothat Humba Wumba's bazookas were too massive for a kid's game? A bit random, but I was 10 when I played that - and I even thought they were 'too' big then.

Bazookas... Too big for kids? Blasphemy! THOSE heavenly melons can NEVER be too big.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34797 Posts
I didn't play DK64 a lot, but I played Banjo. I didn't finish it, though, but it was awesome while I played it. If the game made it to the VC, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.
cricket_foreva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cricket_foreva
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts

Now that i think about it, banjo-kazzooie(?), was one of the best games ive ever played. Although i hated the second one for some reason.. probably because it felt way too different to me back then.

DK64 was great. I loved it. My absolute favourite game of that time and of all time is conkers bad fur day. That is the true gem created by rare.

Conker:BFD > Banjo > DK64 > SM64 >>>>>>>> Banjo 2.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Both are good games, but Banjo is better.
Avatar image for cradleOFfilth37
cradleOFfilth37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cradleOFfilth37
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts
Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.cradleOFfilth37

Are you a person who said that Donkey Kong Country will not be there because of Rare? DonKey Kong 64 will be there. Donkey Kong is a Nintendo franchise. Miyamoto is the father of it.

I don't know for Banjo. Heck, I really don't think that Microsoft can put them on XBLA because Nintendo worked with Rare and Nintendo could have licensed some characters and copyrighted them. I remember there was the beavers on DK64. They were on a Banjo game but I don't remember which one. Also, there was some DK64 mentions on Kazooie as well.

cradleOFfilth37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cradleOFfilth37

[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"]Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.chris3116

Are you a person who said that Donkey Kong Country will not be there because of Rare? DonKey Kong 64 will be there. Donkey Kong is a Nintendo franchise. Miyamoto is the father of it.

I don't know for Banjo. Heck, I really don't think that Microsoft can put them on XBLA because Nintendo worked with Rare and Nintendo could have licensed some characters and copyrighted them. I remember there was the beavers on DK64. They were on a Banjo game but I don't remember which one. Also, there was some DK64 mentions on Kazooie as well.

There are things that Rare owns in DK64...so,no DK64 will not be on the VC.

nasty_butler16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 nasty_butler16
Member since 2006 • 843 Posts
Yes, they are both amazing, and thats an understatement.
nasty_butler16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 nasty_butler16
Member since 2006 • 843 Posts
[QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"]Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.cradleOFfilth37

Arn't thier things that Rare owns in Donkey Kong Country???
stevenk4k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stevenk4k5
Member since 2005 • 5608 Posts

Banjo > Donkey Kong.

Like everyone else said, I doubt that Banjo will be on the VC due to Microsoft purchasing Rare.

cradleOFfilth37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cradleOFfilth37
[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"][QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"]Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.nasty_butler16

Obviously not, or else DKC wouldn't be on the VC.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
[QUOTE="nasty_butler16"][QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"][QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"]Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.cradleOFfilth37

Nintendo owns all the donkey Kong Franchise, they could put DK64 on Vc if they wanted. Basicly Rare doesnt have rights to use Dk anymore since Microsoft owns them.
mjgballin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mjgballin
Member since 2007 • 484 Posts

Banjo > M64 Rare > Nintendotomarlyn

During the 64-bit era, I agree that Rare was better than Nintendo. Now, when they split into two teams(Rare and Free Radical), I have to disagree that Rare is no longer better than Nintendo. PerfectDark Zero wasnt as special as PerfectDark 64.

Darkrio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Darkrio
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts
Dk 64 is incredible, i still havent beaten it but multiplayer mode is hilarios and if you have hte time 1 player is great too!
no_one089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 no_one089
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
I loved Donkey Kong 64 when i had it but ive never played Banjo-Kazooie.
cradleOFfilth37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cradleOFfilth37
[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"][QUOTE="nasty_butler16"][QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"][QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="cradleOFfilth37"]Do you we really need dozens of Banjo VC threads? Banjo and DK64 aren't gonna be on the VC, and Nintendo isn't gonna buy Rare back just so it can put a few games on the VC and i doubt Microsoft would even want to sell it.EndlessPunisher

Nintendo owns all the donkey Kong Franchise, they could put DK64 on Vc if they wanted. Basicly Rare doesnt have rights to use Dk anymore since Microsoft owns them.

There are things Rare owns that are in the DK64 game such as the jet pack which Nintendo could get sued for using.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
Both Banjos and DK64 were great. If I had to put them in order based on how much I liked them it would be: Banjo Kazooie > Banjo Tooie > Donkey Kong 64.
Sarge1442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sarge1442
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts
actually nintendo can have banjo on wii vc if u remember they realsed a GBA banjo game or were spose to and that was after microsoft bought rare .