does the ocean temple ruin Zelda?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazymaghie123
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts
does the ocean temple repeat ruin the game? I was thinking of buying it but this sounds like something that would really grind my gears
paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts

it does make the game much more annyoing, but I still think its a buy if you enjoy Zelda games.

If you don't like Zelda games this one won't change your mind.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

not ruin... but it is annoying... if they made more dungeons and less ocean temple... it would be better

like many different ocean temples spread around the 4 charts

crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crazymaghie123
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts
kk thanks
fellowbetrayed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 fellowbetrayed
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts
I really didn't find it that bad, to be honest. It's not the best aspect of the game, but it certainly doesn't do much to spoil the enjoyment of it...
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts

It diminishes enjoyment value, but Phantom Hourglass is still a really good game...

You know, apart from the Temple of the Ocean King.

FlameHazeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FlameHazeX
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts
It was really annoying but it didn't ruin it really, I just used walkthroughs so I didn't have to keep repeating the thing if I died a lot.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

The Ocean Temple totally ruins the game.

That and the treasure fishing. They took one of the most boring parts of Windwaker and found a way to make it even more unenjoyable and they also found a way to make it take way longer.

I still haven't finished it...

Mystic_Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mystic_Legend
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
I was pretty disappointed with PH. I was really excited about it prior to release but when I finally got it and after I realized the Ocean Temple was something you go back to many times it really did annoy me. It's not like each floor you got access to was funner than the previous, I found the whole stealth aspect of sneaking by the giant guys (Forgot their correct name..) didn't help the Ocean Temple. Because of this I actually still haven't finished it.
master-dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 master-dude
Member since 2007 • 548 Posts

I really didn't find it that bad, to be honest. It's not the best aspect of the game, but it certainly doesn't do much to spoil the enjoyment of it...fellowbetrayed

Yeah. I didn't mind it to much cause it wasn't like a super-easy time waster. It was actually kind of challenging. Sort of...

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
that temple was the hardest part of the game.
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

It was my favorite part of the game and I think it was the most challenging. (Yeh, it was a bit of a grind but once you got half way through you could use the teleport and avoid most of the repetition.) Plus it was fun as you got more and more weapons to finally use them on those #$*$&*$&$!! (G)

And it was part of the storyline. You had to fight through them to get to the evil boss. And that last battle - WHEW! Took me three tries before I finished.

dmbama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dmbama
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
i am done playing that game because of the ocean temple
hugey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 hugey
Member since 2008 • 135 Posts

It was my favorite part of the game and I think it was the most challenging. (Yeh, it was a bit of a grind but once you got half way through you could use the teleport and avoid most of the repetition.) Plus it was fun as you got more and more weapons to finally use them on those #$*$&*$&$!! (G)

And it was part of the storyline. You had to fight through them to get to the evil boss. And that last battle - WHEW! Took me three tries before I finished.

Detroit222

i agree with this dude.. what's a game without a challenge.. if you're not into "challenging" games.. then too bad.. most games that are good are like that..

G-rod14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 G-rod14
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

That and the treasure fishing. They took one of the most boring parts of Windwaker and found a way to make it even more unenjoyable and they also found a way to make it take way longer.

chefstubbies

geez, you must be one depressed gamer. im on my 7th time finishing it and I still havent finished ocarina of time.

No, it doesnt ruin the game at all, as long as you know how to navigate it, its acctually quite ok, and its a blessing when you get the phantom sword which lets you kill the phantoms in the temple. It doesnt ruin it at all.

plus, treasure fishing is optional)

MistressSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MistressSnow

Ah, yes. The Ocean Temple. I got to the very end of the game when you have to go through the Temple the last time and I just said F#$K IT! So I wached my boyfriend beat it. haha :D

Despite that, the game is damn amazing. If you're a Zelda fan you must aqquire its gem finding, sword swinging, fairy ridden goodness.

get-some-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 get-some-pie
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts
I hated the ocean temple, but it didn't ruin the game for me.
MangoLlamas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#18 MangoLlamas
Member since 2007 • 2325 Posts
It was annoying but it didn't ruin the game. I think they should have made one ghostish/phantom type temple and just made more temples in that respect.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chefstubbies
[QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

G-rod14

geez, you must be one depressed gamer. im on my 7th time finishing it and I still havent finished ocarina of time.

No, I'm not a depressed gamer at all. I do find it odd that with all the threads comlaining about how much the temple of the Ocean King sucks, and the amount of people in this thread alone that say they don't like it, why'd you pick just my post to say I must be depressed because I neglected to enjoy something that you did.

You haven't beaten Ocarina? That insinuates that you don't like Ocarina which totally throws out any validation behind what you said.

Ocarina isn't worth your time, but Phantom Hourglass you're beaten it 7 times? Wow...just out of curiosity is this an age thing? Can I ask how old you are?

G-rod14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 G-rod14
[QUOTE="G-rod14"][QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

chefstubbies

No, I'm not a depressed gamer at all. I do find it odd that with all the threads comlaining about how much the temple of the Ocean King sucks, and the amount of people in this thread alone that say they don't like it, why'd you pick just my post to say I must be depressed because I neglected to enjoy something that you did.

You haven't beaten Ocarina? That insinuates that you don't like Ocarina which totally throws out any validation behind what you said.

Ocarina isn't worth your time, but Phantom Hourglass you're beaten it 7 times? Wow...just out of curiosity is this an age thing? Can I ask how old you are?

...?

You got all that out of a bad choice of words?please, lets get back on topic.

jerhall1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jerhall1221
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
It is kinda annoying having to go back to the same temple over and over again. It's still a great game and the use of the stlyus is flawless.
Ra-Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Ra-Devil
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

To say it didn't ruin it for me would be lying... because that's why I stopped playing.

It's a stupid idea, and even more stupid when executed. I mean, don't game developers know we don't like playing the same level over and over and over untill we're beating a dead horse? (unless its a level you enjoy, but rarely are dungeons like the ocean temple fun) I could tollerate it up to a point. I actually found it a little fun and interesting to figure out some of the puzzles, but alas, the 4th or 5th time I had to return to it, I put the game down and said, "I don't feel like doing this right now, I'll come back to it later." That was 3 months ago, and I don't plan to finish the game. Why? Because the mediocrity and poor design have sunken in now, and the initail "thrill" and "fun" of playing it have worn off. I see the game as a really well designed game that was fun for a moment, but evetually becomes hoplessly repetative and also includes one of the worst gameplay idea ever... sending you to the same dungeon, in which you have to clear it every time, over, and over, and over, and over again. I'm sorry, but I cannot give this game respect without losing my own self-respect. There's are better Zelda games out there... like A Link to the Past, or even Ocarina of Time, which could technically be remade on the DS if not for the simple sake of making money. (sorry, I though Twilight Princess was garbage) Hell, there are better DS games out there. This game, in retrospect, was not a good game.

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
I liked the Temple of the Ocean King. Discovering new ways to get through the dungeon by utilizing newfound items was fun. People love to criticize it and for some people it ruined the game (somehow), but even if you don't like it, if you're a serious gamer there's no reason it should take much of the experience away... It's not a hard game, and going through the temple each time should only take a couple of minutes for most, maybe a little more on the last time through.
fellowbetrayed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fellowbetrayed
Member since 2004 • 121 Posts

I liked the Temple of the Ocean King. Discovering new ways to get through the dungeon by utilizing newfound items was fun. People love to criticize it and for some people it ruined the game (somehow), but even if you don't like it, if you're a serious gamer there's no reason it should take much of the experience away... It's not a hard game, and going through the temple each time should only take a couple of minutes for most, maybe a little more on the last time through.WAIW

I agree completely, I thought it was fun also to go back and find new ways past each floor with the new items I'd obtained. Even after I'd gotten to the midway point and could utilize the portal each time to skip the first half of the temple, still I went through it all with all my new items to uncover any secrets or treasures I may have missed before. As I said in the review I wrote for the game, it's not my favorite Zelda game to date, but it's definitely a good game well worth the time to play. Some folks might get turned off by the Temple of The Ocean King, as is obvious by this thread, but it really wasn't such a huge inconvenience that it ruined the rest of the game and all the fun that it offered. Not for me, anyways, but to each their own, eh? :)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Yeah, it ruins it.

I enjoyed the game (for the most part, the controls are a bit weird) up until the third or fourth time through the Temple of the Ocean King. I made it about halfway through, put down my DS, said "You know what, Nintendo? **bleep** this **bleep**," put the cart back in its case and went on to another game.

I should really just sell it, because I don't want to go back and play it ever again. That temple takes the two big sins of terrible game design (backtracking and time limits) and combines them to raise a huge, veiny, throbbing middle finger at the player.

bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#26 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
Phantom Hourglass is still worth a purchase -- overall, it's a great Zelda game -- but the Temple of the Ocean King is definitely the low-point of the game. I put it aside because of the stupid temple, to be honest -- it's very repetitive and can get annoying, even with the warp points.
Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Can't speak for the rest of the public but the Temple definetly ruined the entire game for me. Any fun I had during the game was shortlived because at the peak of that fun you would be forced the revisit the temple.

The game is still worth buying but just be warned.

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts
It ruined it for me...I still haven't beat the game because I had to go through that dreaded temple, then get to the section I needed to get to, then when I got there, I couldn't go any further because of some stupid thing...
Zallve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zallve
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts
I quit right before the final trip through the Ocean Temple because I couldn't stand it. Then I went to wi-fi and played until that died.......... Then came Brawl.
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chefstubbies
[QUOTE="chefstubbies"][QUOTE="G-rod14"][QUOTE="chefstubbies"]

G-rod14

...?

You got all that out of a bad choice of words?please, lets get back on topic.

Bad choice of words? How could you possibly become confused by one extremely easy to read paragraph?

Mabye this is an age thing...anyways...you just said "let's get back on topic, however your initial post had nothing at all to do with the topic at hand. All you said was that I'm depressed and that you haven't beaten Ocarina, neither of which have anything to do with the Temple of the Ocean King.

Please learn to atleast try and explain what you say. Otherwise people may take what you say out of context and then inadvertently confuse you.

twilightphazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 twilightphazon
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

The temple got wayy annoying imo.

I havent played much of it but still i havent gotten the urge to touch it for a few months just cuz of the fact i had to go to the stupid annoyin temple all the time!!

ghosteye10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 ghosteye10
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
Not at all
TechDresdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 TechDresdain
Member since 2008 • 85 Posts
It didn't ruin the game. It just annoys me. It was challenging. And thrilling too. PLUS SUPER ANNOYING. THAT TEMPLE DID RUINED THE GAME THEN! lol. Just kiddin'
omishboy4831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 omishboy4831
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

Wow any of you people complaining about that game being hard must find the simplest tasks a challenge. Especially when they find that, that dungeon takes a long time to get through. If you think that was hard try playing the oracle of seasons and ages those were what zelda games are normally made of.

Seasons

Ages

SUPER_FLY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SUPER_FLY_
Member since 2008 • 2653 Posts
it is very very anoyying but overall it doesn't ruin the game
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#36 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Wow any of you people complaining about that game being hard must find the simplest tasks a challenge. Especially when they find that, that dungeon takes a long time to get through. If you think that was hard try playing the oracle of seasons and ages those were what zelda games are normally made of.

Seasons

Ages

omishboy4831

I can't speak for everyone else but for me it's not the difficulty of the Temple - it's not very hard, really. It's just annoying that you have to do the same thing over and over and over again, and even when you gain new abilities it doesn't really shave off a ton of time. You still have to slog through the same dozen rooms repeatedly, which is silly and obnoxious.

And I'm the first to agree that Zelda games have some less than desirable aspects. Parts of all the games drag on too long.

Astropyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Astropyr
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts

i am done playing that game because of the ocean templedmbama

Same here ...

viewtifullee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 viewtifullee
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts
yup agreed
viewtifullee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 viewtifullee
Member since 2008 • 384 Posts
but its still worth it though
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here but I really enjoyed the Ocean King's temple but some of my friends gave up on it when it got tough.
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
No, I like it :).
jprincess88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jprincess88
Member since 2005 • 46 Posts
It ruined it for me. I'm too lazy to kill the last boss and finish the story because of the ocean temple.
Lakrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lakrum
Member since 2008 • 399 Posts
I love Zelda games and the water temple in Phantom Hourglass made me turn the game off and trade it in. That bad.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

Ah, yes. The Ocean Temple. I got to the very end of the game when you have to go through the Temple the last time and I just said F#$K IT! So I wached my boyfriend beat it. haha :D

Despite that, the game is damn amazing. If you're a Zelda fan you must aqquire its gem finding, sword swinging, fairy ridden goodness.

MistressSnow

teehee

arctrooper48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 arctrooper48
Member since 2006 • 1427 Posts

I quit the game at 8 hearts. Normally, I do my best to fully complete a Zelda game, head to toe (Majora's mask was horrid), but I just can't bring myself to it anymore.

Everytime I load that game up I end up finding my self going to an unopened treasure chest and continuely reloading until I get a golden boat piece. Other than that I just can't stand that Ocean King Temple. Also, the 3 noticable 15 second MIDI soundtracks make me play the game with the volume down. That's when I do play it, rarely.

jacobs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jacobs06
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
It sounded cool... but it was annoying. But definently not too difficult.
doctores143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#47 doctores143
Member since 2007 • 3016 Posts
It makes it more repetetive but the game is still awsome.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts
i like the game but the ocean temple does get annoying.
andrewgina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 andrewgina

:cry:After going thru ocean temple, I found a map I'm suppose to give it to linebeck and after talking him he told me to clean the map then it get stuck after that....am I suppose to wait, I just shut it off...? I need help? What else am I suppose to do? Did I forget something? Where is the BOMB bag????

Anyone please HELP!!!

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

does the ocean temple repeat ruin the game? I was thinking of buying it but this sounds like something that would really grind my gearscrazymaghie123

I wouldn't say it ruins the game, but it is imo the most glaring flaw in the game.