Does the 3D really hurt your eyes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

I want a 3ds but im afraid I would be paying 250$ for a system with worthless 3d that may just end up hurting my eyes. and i am aware i cna turn the 3d off, butt hat wouldnt be much fun, would it? also, how good is the battery life?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I want a 3ds but im afraid I would be paying 250$ for a system with worthless 3d that may just end up hurting my eyes. and i am aware i cna turn the 3d off, butt hat wouldnt be much fun, would it? also, how good is the battery life?

Kocelot
Battery life sucks, the 3D is fine if you turn it down to, say, 45%.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
I don't have any problems with the 3D but I know some people do. If you can, go try it out at a store before you buy it. If you do that, make sure you are holding it right because if it isn't held right, the 3D will look terrible and you will probably get a headache.
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

how bad? 3 hours? or even less..? O__O!!

paulie69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 paulie69
Member since 2005 • 373 Posts

Ok let me put your fears to rest!

Basically when I first started playing the 3ds with; say 50% 3d by default after playing I would feel quite irritated in the eyes/light headache...

HOWEVER! After a few more repeated tries you'll become accustomed to it, and now my eyes feel absolutely no strain at all even on full 3d with 2+ gaming sessions (with no breaks) The same case was with my girlfriend who couldn't look at the 3d for more than 5 minutes before feeling eye pain.

So with this in mind, you want to get around 2-5 hours of 3d gaming in, it may be unpleasant but your eyes will quickly adjust. Took me around 3-4 seperate sessions, just take a rest when you feel uneasy and you'll be fine in no time!

It's important to understand how the 3d in the handheld works, with your eyes receiving twice the information than normal so naturally, they're doing twice the amount of work and like all muscles in the body with some work it will improve.

In terms of battery life, It's more or less the same as gaming on an android/iphone with a 3d graphics game like N.O.V.A or grand theft auto China town wars so roughly 3-4 hours in my experience.

Overall, you really shouldn't be turned away from the 3ds! it was a tough decision for me to make (I have a history of irritable eyes/headaches) yet I've had no problems with the 3ds and my eye/headache condition has actually improved! It may be some freaky coincidence but I'm definately placing all my money on this system! Hope this helps

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

The 3D won't hurt your eyes. Think about it: your eyes naturally see three dimensions, so how could a 3D display hurt them? You might experience some initial discomfort simply because you're so used to viewing 2D images on a computer display, and you'll have to retrain your brain and eyes not to try and converge on a single point, but after a day or two, you'll find that looking at 3D is as comfortable as looking at 2D.

As for battery life, I've not found it to be a problem. It averages around 4 to 5 hours of play time (depending on things like brightness setting, wireless, etc.) which should be plenty unless you're stuck on a cross country flight with no access to power. Just top off the charge regularly and you should be fine, and if it's really a problem, get one of those portable batteries for charging on the go. I don't recommend aftermarket batteries because they have a tendancy to do nasty stuff to your hardware.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

When I first used it (I played for about 1 hour or so) It gave a head-ach for 10 minets. But now I can play hours at a time and not get a headach...In fact my eyes don't even feel tired after playing it with 3D for hours at a time.

GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

Also, later this year there will be a battery coming out for the 3DS (sold sepretly) that will increase the play time of the 3DS by 3x. I would provide a link but now I can't seem to find it on IGN.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

I have had no problems with the 3D. It looks great really. Just remember to adjust the slider so that you can find your sweet spot. Also, at first you might experience some slight pain in the eyes and maybe a head ache because you are "training" your eyes to see 3D. After the first few minutes to the first few times that you use 3D, the pain and head aches should stop.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

Also, later this year there will be a battery coming out for the 3DS (sold sepretly) that will increase the play time of the 3DS by 3x. I would provide a link but now I can't seem to find it on IGN.

GamerEye

I know what you mean, and here is the Ign article

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

some people complain ..i have no problems at all.

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Battery is VERY BAD! The 3D doesn't hurt my eyes. But that's personal, you should try it at a local store or something. Nobody can tell you if it's going to hurt or not.

(On the other hand, when gaming for long times i get eye pain anyway, so not particulary for 3d)

JoeJoeLaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoeJoeLaker
Member since 2010 • 704 Posts

It really just depends on the person.

I tried it and it felt weird at first but my eyes adjusted to it.

I was standing up, so i'm sure it's 100% better sitting down.

JamTKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 JamTKD
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts
My eyes felt done discomfort (not pain) for the first three days. It does this because it uses muscles your eyes are not accustomed to use, but this goes away quickly. Also, on battery life, I've had no problems. You just need to get in the habit of putting it in the dock when you're done.
scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

The battery life is easily the worst thing about the system. It usually only lasts me for about 3 hours.

The 3D has caused me no eye strain at all though.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I never had eye problems like some here and I quickly get use to the 3D effects. Perhaps for some that have problems with viewing 3D images is to watch footage where there is little or no movement. I am not concerned over the battery life as I purchased a 2000Amh battery which improves over the 13000Amh battery provided on my 3DS.

en-bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 en-bit
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts

Not really, you get used to it.

wolonpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wolonpanda
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

The battery life isn't really a problem just store the 3ds on its cradle and it's fine. It varies from person to person but most of the people who i gave it to play with got used to the 3D after a couple of tries.

StarkJJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StarkJJ
Member since 2004 • 534 Posts

THe 3D effect is different for everyone. I play with it turned up all the way and have NEVER felt my eyes hurt. It's like riding a bike...you get the hang of it and almost become desensitized to it. Don't listen to anyone's opinion. It really does come down to YOU.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

The 3D doesn't hurt my eyes. It was a bit discomforting the first time I turned it on in 3D but after 5 minutes it was fine.

The battery life isn't bad. I've never had a moment where I've run out of battery. If you're going to play on full brightness with full 3D it'll die in about 3 hours. I usually play with full 3D on and 3/5 brightness and it never really dies, but I don't play for hours. I play short sessions and then put it back in the craddle.