Does AMD's "Rumor" have your Worried About Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ii20JcM05ii
Member since 2010 • 394 Posts

The news broke that the next Xbox's graphics will be able to pull off detail equal to "Avatar"'s movie, cinema graphics. Does this news have you worried that this technology could hurt Wii U? Does it change your feelings about what system you want to save up for now? Or does it not even faze you about your decision on buying a Wii U?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

No, because anyone with a decent knowledge of tech would know that's complete BS. The power needed to render Avatar will not be available for 10-20 years.

david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
Yeah there have been similar claims in the past for the N64 and PS2 pre launch. Talk is cheap.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
Yeah there have been similar claims in the past for the N64 and PS2 pre launch. Talk is cheap.david60639
but N64 had teh Terminator 2 graphix , it was "project reality"
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17887 Posts
no. even if it was true im not buying the wiiu for the pretties. i have a PC for that and will continue to upgrade that as i see fit. so whatever specs the other consoles have will have no baring on whether i buy the wiiu or not. im buying the wiiu based on the games itll have and its game playing features. also this is just marketing crap from AMD. they said about the wii GPU at launch that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. needless to say the iceberg wasnt very big. im not bashing the wii but zelda TP is not exactly a million miles off mario galaxy or MH3.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

No, because anyone with a decent knowledge of tech would know that's complete BS. The power needed to render Avatar will not be available for 10-20 years.

ChubbyGuy40

This, for a game to run in Real time, with the detail from Avatar, running in a console, no!

PCs can't even do that now with a Hex-core Icore7, and SLI GTX580's or CF hd6970s. (even if they could it would be a slideshow, or crashfest)

Alot of nonsense like this was spread around before the 360 was released. (we see what it was all watered down to be)

IF MS was to announce a new system right now, it would really PO a lot of its fanbase.. Especially those who just invested in Kinect. Seriously If they mention a new xbox system even only a year after Kinect launches... There will be problems.

Besides my pc has a Phenom II x4, and a GTX570, (3 year old system with upgrades) Handles all the high graphics now, The WiiU, will be for the game library, the ability to play it in HD, is just one major plus. My next rig probably a year and a half to 2 years till I build it, will be an 8 core Ivy Bridge, and probably SLI gtx 570.. (or use the 570 for physx, and get an even more powerful card for GPU in a 2-3 years) It will be able to smash the Nextbox anyway. Not to mention all the other things it will be used for.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
clearly not true. and if it was, it'd cost $600+, which would alienate their target audience: the casuals.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

[QUOTE="david60639"]Yeah there have been similar claims in the past for the N64 and PS2 pre launch. Talk is cheap.AmnesiaHaze
but N64 had teh Terminator 2 graphix , it was "project reality"

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic. N64's jaggies and washed-out textures didn't even compare to T2's VFX, particularly T-1000.

And yeah, Sony's "PS2 will be able to render Toy Story graphics in real-time" claim was hilarious.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
*points at PS3* no, that won't damage the wii U. plus sony said the PS4 won't be that huge of a leap. plus unless it's the size of a desk, it's not happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

No, because AMD is probably lying

emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

Not worried. I can stand 8-bit graphics, so there.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Not worried. I can stand 8-bit graphics, so there.

emirblade

Same here but for 3D I can't stand 32-bit graphics.

2D NES is my limit; 3D my limit is N64 quality.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

Even if it was that powerful MS would find themselves in the same position PC gamers have been in forever. Namely games that are developed for the weakest console with slight improvements.

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

No... because the PS2 had real-time Toy Story graphics, remember?

Seriously... even if graphics were what were making me purchase a Wii U (it's the Nintendo games that do it :P)I wouldn't be concerned, just because this rumor has no substance to it... only evidence to the contrary, actually. Unless the Xbox 720 is going to be a one-room addition to my house, there's no way it could render that in real-time with all of the physics, animation, and AI they're claiming it will be capable of (hell, a TV shelf-sized box couldn't do the graphics alone). I mean, it's just a matter of common sense. Microsoft isn't going to be selling a $400 super computer.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

No. I love AMD, but that claim is a huge exagerration. The tech that would be necessary to render something at Avatar level while also supporting a player and AI controllers, anti-aliasing, and other things games use that something like Avatar don't hasn't been made yet.

ii20JcM05ii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ii20JcM05ii
Member since 2010 • 394 Posts

no. even if it was true im not buying the wiiu for the pretties. i have a PC for that and will continue to upgrade that as i see fit. so whatever specs the other consoles have will have no baring on whether i buy the wiiu or not. im buying the wiiu based on the games itll have and its game playing features. also this is just marketing crap from AMD. they said about the wii GPU at launch that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. needless to say the iceberg wasnt very big. im not bashing the wii but zelda TP is not exactly a million miles off mario galaxy or MH3.osan0

Great responses guys! You all made me feel a lot better! lol. I JUUSSST had to comment on this though and say... that TWILIGHT PRINCESS WAS MADE ON THE GAMECUBE! The only thing they had time for fixing on the Wii version is the Wii remote integration. If Twilight Princess had Wii graphics, 1: It wouldn't be able to be released on GameCube, and 2: The game would have been delayed for a record of like 6 YEARS!! ... instead of like what, 4? lol.

Just haaad to clear THAT one up >=)

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

clearly not true. and if it was, it'd cost $600+, which would alienate their target audience: the casuals.starwarsjunky

More like if it was, it would cost 5000$ and alienate it's target audience: Humanity.