Do you think having a GBA slot is a good idea?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DSPlayerx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DSPlayerx01
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
One day on the bus, I let this kid play my DS. He stole myDiamond version, and I thought my Diamond was still in there cause i'm used to playing GBA games. So I need your opinion. Do you think the GBA slot is a good idea?
DeliriumGlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DeliriumGlo
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts
Yeah I don't really see what the first half of your post has to do with anything. Anyway yes its a good idea. It sells more software and the titles are cheap because GBA isn't the primary handheld anymore. Also not to mention it sells more DS titles. people who play Warioware, Mario Kart, Castlevania for GBA end up buying the games for DS.

KazOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KazOblivion
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts

LOL

Well that sounds like a mistake on your part. I don't let anyone play my DS unless I know and trust them. Anyways, the GBA slot is not primarily for playing games, because if it was, you would be playing your whole GB collection on DS. The slot, as stated by Nintendo, is going to be used for expansion devices that enhance gameplay. As far as I know, Nintendo has released the rumble pack and thememory (10 MB) pack to fit in the GBA slot. Unfortunately, the rumble pack's function is limited to a handful of games and the memory pack is only being used for the Opera Browser. Other companies though, have released numerous add ons for the DS through the GBA slot.

mhder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 mhder
Member since 2005 • 1071 Posts
It's not bad to have but I've only used it once. If/When it goes, I don't think many people will miss it. Some might whine if it happens but ultimately, we want a DS game, and the last GBA came out years ago.
HP-Pavilion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HP-Pavilion
Tell us what happended after you found out he stole it!!!
vatterott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 vatterott
Member since 2006 • 1842 Posts

One day on the bus, I let this kid play my DS. He stole myDiamond version, and I thought my Diamond was still in there cause i'm used to playing GBA games. So I need your opinion. Do you think the GBA slot is a good idea?DSPlayerx01

Of course it is. Really, why not have it?:?

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts

yeah, that was really just bad judgement on your part, you don't let people play your $120+ handheld if you don't trust them

and, duh, the GBA slot is half its appeal

Cheagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cheagle
Member since 2007 • 172 Posts
let me think....... YES!
Ellimist314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 Ellimist314
Member since 2007 • 1375 Posts
Of course it's a good idea.
DS_Chicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DS_Chicky
Member since 2007 • 152 Posts
Yes it's a great idea. It gives gamers more options with what they can play on their DS. No offence but how does a GBA slot allow people to steal your DS games? Next time don't let anyone else play your DS......
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#11 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
Yes, because the DS can play ALL GBA games...(even though I don't use it)
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

I don't play GBA, but still think the GBA slot is great. I use the Opera Broweser a lot which requires it an I have friends who import their Pokemon from GBA games to their DS game via the slot. Also, some games need it, ex. Face Training.

bernieberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bernieberry
Member since 2007 • 439 Posts
All the people who don't have a GBA anymore can still play their GBA games on the DS because of the GBA slot.
launcherstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 launcherstrike
Member since 2005 • 482 Posts
You can also play all your old GBA games in the brightess setting xD
daturkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 daturkboy
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts
yea
starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts

I don't let people use my ds even if I trust them

antiredcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 antiredcap
Member since 2007 • 1757 Posts
of coarse it is...
audiotycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 audiotycoon
Member since 2006 • 249 Posts

The GBA had a huge and great library. I think Nintendo making the DS backwards compatable is great of them. On the GBA alone, one could play:

5 Super Marios

2 Metroids

5 Final Fantasy's

2 Fire Emblems

4 Zeldas

That's counting the Nes ports. (except for metroid)

luke141eels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#19 luke141eels
Member since 2007 • 10143 Posts

The GBA had a huge and great library. I think Nintendo making the DS backwards compatable is great of them. On the GBA alone, one could play:

5 Super Marios

2 Metroids

5 Final Fantasy's

2 Fire Emblems

4 Zeldas

That's counting the Nes ports. (except for metroid)

audiotycoon
thats heaps of ds games
Joshunar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Joshunar
Member since 2007 • 109 Posts
duh
bshaw84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bshaw84
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts
I love having a GBA slot in my DS Lite. I never had a GBA, so I still go on ebay to buy the cheap great games I missed on the GBA. I use my GBA slot about 1/3 the time I use my DS.
HP-Pavilion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HP-Pavilion
I hate the GBA Slot now tell us what happended after the kid jacked yo pokemon fu
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I love having a GBA slot in my DS Lite. I never had a GBA, so I still go on ebay to buy the cheap great games I missed on the GBA. I use my GBA slot about 1/3 the time I use my DS.bshaw84

same here. i went from a GBC to now a DS lite. i didn't have GBA either.

dirktu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24 dirktu
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts

[QUOTE="bshaw84"]I love having a GBA slot in my DS Lite. I never had a GBA, so I still go on ebay to buy the cheap great games I missed on the GBA. I use my GBA slot about 1/3 the time I use my DS.helwa1988

same here. i went from a GBC to now a DS lite. i didn't have GBA either.

I bought the GBA player for the GC as I don't really play that many games when I'm on the road. So technically I skipped it as well.

BTW, to answer the original question of the TC: of course the GBA slot is a good idea!! I mean, I even would like to play my old GB/GBC games on my DSlite if it would be able to play them!

Avatar image for EricOwnsY_basic
EricOwnsY_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EricOwnsY_basic
Member since 2003 • 407 Posts
i play more gba games on my ds than ds... its a great idea.... search under role playing games and turned based strategy for the GBA some of the best portable game available
Lacedolphin3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lacedolphin3
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

All of the games I have are DS right now, but every once in awhile I'll come across a GBA game that is rare or I havn't played and pick it up used. I don't use it much, and I prefer the touch screen controls and double screened graphics but I do like having the option.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is with having the GBA slot. If you don't like it, then don't use it, its that simple. I on the otherhand really enjoy it. Bringing pokemon form emerald, and playing my favourite classics on full brightness. What's not to love?
Red_Trigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Red_Trigger
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
next day of school rip the game out of his hands and throw him somewhere, stealing's not cool. GBA slot? Only for GBA games!
theshireling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theshireling
Member since 2007 • 211 Posts
why yes, it's an excellent idea
fishsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fishsoup
Member since 2003 • 101 Posts
you're a dumb ass
godon_987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 godon_987
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts
I think it's a good idea so you can play old-school games on a newish system.
DSPlayerx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DSPlayerx01
Well, as you may know, I wrote this question, and if you wanted to know the rest of the story well, here it is. After I got home that afternoon, I turned on my DS, and my Pokemon Diamond was missing. Then I sparked into flames and then the next day, he said it accidently fell out. I said to him YEAH RIGHT!!!! I don't know why, but he gave it back so easily.Nowadays, I avoid that dude.
guywitastik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 guywitastik
Member since 2004 • 412 Posts

I really do think the GBA slot was a good idea.Having that particular slot opens up the DS library quite a bit, And since the younger crowd mostly had GBAs before there DSs, they could play there favorited on the new shiny system. I will admit I even still play some GBA games on my DS if I have to. Pokemonis be a big one for me. Catching them all and transferring them toPearl is a cool feature and makes the slot even better.

I'm sure many of you heard the rumors already about how Nintendo's newly redesigned DS will have no GBA slot and to make up for it, bigger screens will be present. Do any of you agree with that? (I suppose this should be for another topic but I figure it's somewhat related.) I don't agree with this at all. A big selling point to the DS is it's GBA slot, and the GBA - DS cart. communication feature would not be present. I really dont think Nintendo needs to perfect the perfected because from where the DS stands, I don't think it'll get better.

patrickmanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 patrickmanx
Member since 2007 • 398 Posts
Just dont let anyone play In your DS, the same way they can stole one DS game
EYEInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 EYEInferno
Member since 2003 • 530 Posts
Well I guess its a good idea, but I never use it.. I could've lived without a GBA slot.. :S
sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts

Sorry about what happened...

But the GBA slot offers a ton of potential. We've seen expansion packs, RAM packs, rumble packs, sure, and that's good, but there's more to it. Not just small GBA game compatibility either. Look at Arkanoid's old-school paddle stick, or the slide controller for that quirky Japanese game, or the card reader for that other quirky Japanese game :)

There is a lot that can be done. Motion sensoring a la WarioWare Twisted! for example, or other accessories. I think it's time for developers to explore these options, as making standard DS game is great and all but there's a limit to what you can do without expanding your horizons...and slots :)

sumo1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sumo1973
Member since 2005 • 1195 Posts

I agree with the previous post in that the GBA slot has a lot of potential. When the DS first came out it already had a massive library of games thanks to it being compatible with GBA games. This was a big plus point against the competition. I still play GBA games on my DS. Removing this slotwould be a mistake.

PS - Don't lend your DS to anyone you don't trust.

Okami_Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Okami_Link
Member since 2007 • 488 Posts
Wha...?
Tokyo512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tokyo512
Member since 2007 • 1207 Posts

Depends...

If it's like the regular DS and it doesn't stick out, it doesn't bother me at all and I don't mind. If it's like the lite, i find it quite pointless rather than the fact that it could be used for extra memory or things like that.

wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!?!?!? the GBA slot was half the reason i bought a DS! ive sold most of my SNES games in the past and many of them have been re-released on GBA, so the fact that i only have to buy one system to play 2 types of games is a wonderful idea. (....ZELDA-Link To The Past, Super Mario Adv.... come on, dude. beautiful releases, my friend.)

....and i still have no idea how you didnt realize he took your game......

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Of course the GBA slot is a must-need!

When you get bored of one side, you have another game on the other. Two systems in one, what could be better than that?

Glitchseeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Glitchseeker
Member since 2007 • 113 Posts

One day on the bus, I let this kid play my DS. He stole myDiamond version, and I thought my Diamond was still in there cause i'm used to playing GBA games. So I need your opinion. Do you think the GBA slot is a good idea?DSPlayerx01

Of course - It saves a bit of money and better than buying both (Unless it breaks, then you would have to repair it or buy a GBA) But anyway, yeah now you don't have to walk halfway across your room to get the other system when you want it. But I"m sorry to hear Diamond got stolen... (By the way, last time I went to school with you a few years back, you couldn't bring a DS there. You can now? Just wondering.) Anyway, sorry for going off topic for a second. So in other words, you could save money as long as your DS has the slot intact.

iwassj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 iwassj
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
hell yeah. i once wanted a gba and never got one and now i have a ds i have the chance to have a gba and ds :)