Do you buy you Wii games based on reviews or do you read up on it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts

Seeing as the Wii is not swarming with games that would normally get consistantly high marks or more coverage in the press, based on many reasons often in my opinion the wrong ones. Do you buy you Wii games based more on the reviews and scores, or do you look up more on a game and get it based on how you would feel you like it?

SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Reading about a game helps a lot. Usually going to the game's website will provide links to previews and favorable reviews, while going to aggregate sites (like gonintendo) will fill you in on minor details and player impressions.

If the game seems short, I usually just rent it. If it is great, that's when i buy.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
I check into games a little, watch videos, read reviews. But when it comes down to it, i only trust what i like. IDK what a review says, i always rent a game im not sure of b4 buying it. Ive bought some bad games over the years, but i also have played TONS OF GREAT GAMES THAT HAVE GOTTEN BAD REVIEWS. I dont trust reviewers to do anything but show off some gameplay and screens of a game. Always try if for yourself instead of relying on a stranger.
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts

Reviews play an important role. Below 7 on GS isnt for me.

zenszulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zenszulu
Member since 2004 • 1907 Posts

XenoLair
So your views on how good a game is are soley based on Gamespot reviews?
bekkilyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 bekkilyn
Member since 2009 • 72 Posts
I actually don't bother with reviews of any game for any console, unless they are specifically customer reviews such as on Amazon. I want to hear from the people who have actually played the game rather than some reviewer who may have spent all of 10 minutes on it and/or is overly biased against the style of game or type of console.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

For me, it's all about instinct. That's not to say a positive review or even preview can't be of some help, but if something about a game greatly appeals to me and my gaming tastes, chances are that I'm going to give it a go. The games I've purchased this year are those that I had decided on well before a single review appeared, and as it turns out, those have been great investments for me, despite the review scores (one being an '8' and the other a '7.5' on this site).

Really, the biggest thing I take from reviews these days is how a game controls. If the controls seem to hold out, I just leave everything else to how I'm feeling about that game.

X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts

I do everything. :)

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts

I do everything. :)

X-Remnant
me to, multiple reviews user reviews and press. If I'm unsure I'll pop over to the gameFAQ's boards and post questions for user input. The games I had good feelings for so far have not let me down when I buy pre-review. The score doesn't impact my decisions so much as the comments.
Blue-N-Yellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blue-N-Yellow
Member since 2009 • 208 Posts

XenoLair

I would change that cutoff score slightly (maybe to 5 or 6), since GS has fairly recently given scores of 6.5 to a few games that scored much higher on most other reviewing sites / magazines.

I don't really look at scores much, since there aren't many solid, mathmatical formulas that sites use to determine the scores. I've read TONS of reviews where I'm baffled by the score; they'll give it tons of praise and give it a 7, or bring up all sorts of complaints and still give it a 8.5-9 (coughFPScough). The actual review tells you how the reviewer feels about the game. The score is usually just an ambiguous number they come up with.

I pay more attention to the gripes about a game rather than what it gets praised for. Simply put, if the game looks appealing to me, I'm probably going to get it unless there are gripes with the game that I would have a hard time dealing with (ex. excessive hacking / cheating in Conduit's online).

I also don't really look at reviews for Nintendo games. I've never once looked at a review for a (console) Zelda game; it's always insta-preorder once I first get the chance. For third party games though, especially this year, I did pay attention to reviews, but it wasn't really a deciding factor. I bought Madworld that first weekend it dropped to $30 (since it was $30), Pikmin NPC since I missed out on it for the GC, Rune Factory Frontier since I like Harvest Moon games (certainly wasn't swayed by the Gamespot review!), and Little King's Story since I liked the concept (and positive reviews did make the decision easier). I avoided The Conduit based on non-IGN reviews, but on gripes with the game, not just looking at the scores it received.

Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

If Nintendo makes it I almost always get and otherwise if it seems popular or gets a really high score here I consider geting it

SoldatKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SoldatKnight
Member since 2004 • 1557 Posts

Having a good idea of the kinds of games I like and gameplay videos play the biggest part for me.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts
Reviews don't mean anything to me, especially the number score. I hate alot of high rated games and I loved a number of low rated games. The only thing I will read a review for is to see if a game has technical issues. I follow games so I know what I will like and what I wont like.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
I just read about the games I want, and buy them. I really don't care about the scores unless they're THAT bad.
Boomarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Boomarley
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Reviews help a bit, but really I base my purchases on whether it sounds like something I'd like based on the description and possibly some videos. Hearsay from places such as this board helps as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Both,along with getting feedback from the forums.

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

I buy games from reading abt it...I don't buy games based on review ..not a review/score whore.

Zeus-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zeus-Guy
Member since 2004 • 728 Posts

Not really, because I often find reviews to be unreliable (especially when the game in question is for Wii). Sometimes listen to Nintendo Power and Gametrailers, but that's about it.

Ramen1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ramen1020
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
I ussually pick games based on the feedback from forums. it just depends what kind of game im looking for. if im goin for an adventure game i check the reviews to get a general idea of what i want and then i watch a few gameplay videos to see which i would have more fun with. so yea, i guess when i pick a game i do use the reviews to an extent
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i used to, but not anymore
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i wont let my mind be made from a review but i take it into mind i have had a ton of reviews that games people hated for one reason or another but i loved or liked the game and then countless games that i feel is overrated from one reason or another
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
always learn as much as possible about a game (which includes reading reviews) before getting it, and you won't have bad games in your collection. that's what i do.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I get the Wii games based on what they look like from Videos.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Some games more so then others but I never blindly follow reviews.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
If I bought my Wii games based on reviews, then my Wii library would have a total of FIVE good games if I followed Gamespot, and filled with crap like The Conduit if I followed IGN. Much better to make up your own mind, you see. ;)
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Youtube "reviews" are useful (imo)

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts
I bought it based on my interest of the upcoming games, launch games and VC games. Turned out to be a fantastic purchase.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#28 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If I bought my Wii games based on reviews, then my Wii library would have a total of FIVE good games if I followed Gamespot, and filled with crap like The Conduit if I followed IGN. Much better to make up your own mind, you see. ;)charizard1605

You have very High Standards to call The Conduit crap on the Wii.

There is more smelly games than The Conduit.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Only the games I don't know much about. But for games like NSMB Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc....I don't need to read up on anything.
MadSavage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MadSavage22
Member since 2009 • 587 Posts

Personally I read up on the games and if they sound interesting then I will rent them and if they are good enough to buy after that then I throw down the dough.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#31 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
Depends really. I got New Super Mario Bros and No More Heroes solely because they got good reviews. I'm planning to buy Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex and Lego Rock Band because I'm interested in them and don't care about what scores they got.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

yes, i read the review first before buying wii games

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#33 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I mainly use reviews to figure out how a game works if it isn't very apparent to me. I look at the advantages and disadvantages of a certain game, and decide if they would apply to me. If a game has lousy graphics, for example, I won't really care, but if a game's lifespan is short, I'm going to reconsider buying this game. The final grade mostly isn't my concern. It's only an indication of the technical quality of the game, but even that indication is often flawed.

That being said, I find GS and IGN some of the least reliable sources for stuff like this. The only medium I really take seriously when it comes to game reviews is the Dutch N-Gamer magazine.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
well for one, actually reading the reviews (not just checking the number score) constitutes reading up on a game. i also check out previews, gameplay videos, and background information (developers and such).
Arc2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Arc2012
Member since 2007 • 1535 Posts
From your title question, I suppose I do both since I read the reviews. I've only made a few day one purchases without ever reading the reviews, but it was usually for a sequel to a game that I really liked. And a few times that's turned out to be a really bad idea.
RDOTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RDOTR
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts
usually if someone says a game is good il youtube/google it if I like the looks Il then go to amazon and buy it ''That games good'' > > Youtube>Google>>>Amazon>>>postman>>>wii
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I buy games based on my personal tastes and gamer intuition. I've been buying games for many years now, I think I can sort the good from the bad.;) Reviews only offer insight to what the game has to offer, nothing more.