Do u guys listen to reviews (poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidy3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 kidy3k
Member since 2007 • 210 Posts

if ur in the case of buying a game or u want a game do u guys listen to reviews from gamespot or ign or other

i dont i go on youtube and start searching the game i want and see the gameplay vids

ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
viewrs and gameranking
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
I listen to reviews, but I don't rely on them for every single thing, nor to I take them word for word. I'm obviously going to get the 8.5 over the 3.5. But, if I see a game that appeals to me and it only got a 6 I'm definitely going to try it out.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts
Game reviews are useful, especially when you want to know about technical merits of a game.If a reviewer says a game I'm interested in has lousy controls, or broken AI, I want to know about it. That way, I won't waste any more time on it. If a reviewer doesn't think a game was really fun, that's a judgement call, I might keep researching the game.
fireshinigami2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 fireshinigami2
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts

Of course.

maddk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 maddk
Member since 2005 • 329 Posts
Not GS reviews... The only review I actually trust is my own so I either rent or buy the game.
monty_4256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 monty_4256
Member since 2004 • 8577 Posts
gameplay vids reveil the most about a game
kakkarott23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kakkarott23
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
Like Aransom said they are good to know when there are potentially broken things in the game. However, I don't let it become my main factor. I went through a phase of buy games cause they reviewed high but I ended up with less money and more dissappointments. I like dynasty warriors and love Gundams so when the two merged for a game it was a no brainer for me. I knew the reviews would be bad but I knew what I was getting into based on the title alone
dannyboi123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 dannyboi123456
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
The only reviewer i listen to a bit is gametrailers LMAO
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
Reviews are useful for two things; understanding the workings of a game and getting a general sense of reviewer response. There are times when reviews are simply off of my opinion (I may be the only person in the world who thinks Wii Play is a better game than Oblivion), but for the most part, they like what I like.
kingqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kingqaz
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts
I am not going to buy SSBB the first day no matter what reviews say, just like I bought SMG and LoZ first day. Big games like those rarely disappoint so I just get them first day. On other games, I do alot of research before I buy it. But some people just look at the number, I actually readthe review. If the reviews are generally positive, I watch some videos and go on the forums to see how other people received it. I don't pay attention only to review, but I do pay some attention to it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

All I read them for is to find out if anything is broken, past that I don't care.

Reviews are opinion pieces (some of my friend don't agree), you wont find ones that match your thoughts even if you like the same game they liked.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dcbd90c2616
deactivated-57dcbd90c2616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57dcbd90c2616
Member since 2007 • 497 Posts
A big hellz no. If you listen to some Gamespot reviews you could be missing out on some great games like Fire Emblem:RD and Blue Dragon.
MegaSonicZX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 MegaSonicZX
Member since 2007 • 811 Posts
I look at gameplay vids myself.
blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts

Most of the time I will read up, unless I'm really determined to get it. I'm glad I read up on Super Mario Galaxy, I didn't even think about it until Brawl was delayed.

I only look at game rankings and ign, gamespot just fails

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

I listen to reviews, but I don't rely on them for every single thing, nor to I take them word for word. I'm obviously going to get the 8.5 over the 3.5. But, if I see a game that appeals to me and it only got a 6 I'm definitely going to try it out.Sants412

Totally agree..

Androu1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Androu1
Member since 2006 • 513 Posts
I read GS reviews...then I read GameFAQ reviews and then IGN reviews...I most likely read like 4 good and 4 bad...
fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
il usually watch a few vids...
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
If its a game im unsure of then i will read more than one review, check gamerankings, watch a few vids and decide from there. If its a game that i know im gonna love, i will check a few reviews just to make sure that the choice im making is a good one, and even if some get a pretty bad review and some good reviews, i will still get it *coughFIREEMBLEMRADIANTDAWNcough*. Reviews are good to tell you what parts of the game are pointless and what parts are broken, eg controls, so they do come in handy.
Avatar image for MrStreetFighter
MrStreetFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrStreetFighter
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts
I would say it's a mix of everything. A review does heavily guide my decision on whether to buy a game or not, but if the review is too good to be true (or I feel that they're being too hard on the game), I tend to look at gameplay vids. If they interest me, then I'll rent, then buy.
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
Yes, I listen to reviews written by reviewers that I trust.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

In terms of influence on purchases, reviews are fairly meaningless to someone with a low budget (like me). Only a handful of games that I really want come out each year, so that makes my decisions really easy. I usually choose my games based on past experience, so games like Tiger Woods and Mario Galaxy were no-brainers.

I've only bought two games this year that were influenced by reviews - one was purchased with a gift card, and the other was a gift of my choice. I bought Zack and Wiki, not only because it got good reviews and because I thought it looked fun, but because Alex Navarro wrote up an extra blog entry just to say how surprised he was at how good the game was.

Choosing which game to get as my free gift was more difficult. I didn't have any natural interest in any Wii games out at that time, so I had to sift through the list of games to find something. Trauma Center caught my eye. It got a good review, and it sounded like a really fun experience. Trauma Center and Zack and Wiki turned out to be great choices.

So yes, I do listen to reviews, but it's not often that I have to, if that makes sense. I've started reading reviews for popular games simply to understand more about them. Reviews are primarily about explaining the details of a game so the reader can gauge his own interest. Only a small portion of a review is actually opinion, ideally. And it seems that the vast majority of reviews are accurate in terms of describing the games. So there really isn't any reason not to listen to reviews.... unless you judge solely by the score, but that's a different matter....

Mujambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mujambo
Member since 2007 • 1039 Posts
I read reviews once in a while, but I never take them to heart. I have to try the game to know. Gameplay vids do a better job in helping me make a decision but nothing beats trying it for myself
Avatar image for christian123456
christian123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 christian123456
Member since 2004 • 52 Posts

I take buying games very personally as i would never sell a game and my wages mean i have to be selective (I'm 16). I think reviews are important as they give a small indication as to what people like and dislike. Sites as gamepot, IGN and gamerankings all help me decide to get excited about a game. If a certain game has been getting good reviews i will find what ever videos i can on the game if they appeal to me i get the game. Reviews are doubly helpful in that the highlight real shockers that should be avoided. I can imagine being dissapionted in how bad farcry for the wii if i brought it not seeing any bad reviews for the game. There are cases where i will see a bad review for a game that i believe has potentional but will rent it seeing if reviewers have got it right or if the game appeals to me.

Considering how big the game inustry is today it would be silly not listening to a variety of opinions on different games with their strengths and weaknesses being explained to a great extent most of the time.

jjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jjr10
Member since 2005 • 5880 Posts

I won't get it if it gets a 3..

but if it gets a 6, yet im still interested, i might rent it or just buy it.

leevshan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 leevshan
Member since 2005 • 1065 Posts

I usually rely on players reviews rather than critics.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I usually read the review just to get a general idea of how good or bad the game is then I check the player reviews to see how they like it. If the game interests me but it got a bad score, I won't buy it but if it's something that I really want but it got a bad score then I'll try it out
Swifty_Magee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Swifty_Magee
Member since 2003 • 1130 Posts

I'll usually use reviews to find information about the game, learning what the game is about, and trying to figure out the pros and cons. Most of the time I'll read a review, but if there's a video review somewhere, that's even better. I also don't stick to one source, as one reviewer can absolutely love it while another says it's complete crap. The way I figure, if you're going to drop money on a game, you better know if you're really going to like it, so do some research.

I used to rent games every weekend, but Blockbuster got really crappy a long time ago, at least the one where I live. Once I can afford it, I'll probably get a GameFly account and rent from there.

I'll also ask friends what they've heard about the game sometimes. I tend to trust the opinions of my friends and people I know than total strangers on the Internet or a magazine.

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
I use them for info on the game and as just an overall summary of the game to see if I like it enough to buy, but then if say gets an 8 i'll buy it, but if it get a 5 I might rent it first. Also I look at Gameplay vids before as well to get an Idea about it as well and to judge weather I'm interested in it.
ri_od

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ri_od
Member since 2007 • 41 Posts

Though they definitely aren't the only thing I consider, reviews are one of the major factors I look at before making a purchase.

However, I as someone said, I read the review, and not just look at the score; often some of the stuff a reviewer didn't like don't matter or make sense to me, or one of the things he did like don't seem meaningful or important to me.

Generally speaking, I don't really trust reader reviews - most of the people write a review because they don't agree with the original review, and that makes the reviews biased for two reasons - a) well, as i said, only people who didn't agree with the review write them; b) if the review made them mad, people will often exaggerate to the other direction; If a game someone liked got a 6, he might give it a 9+ when he really thinks the game deserved a 7 or 8. The only reason I'd read reader reviews is if for some reason the original review didn't make sense to me, and even then I'd take everything with a grain of salt, so to speak.

Also, off course I also look at gameplay vids and stuff like that - and if a game that got an 8 interests me more than a game that got a 9 I'll still buy the 8; however, if a game I thought interested me got a 6, I would rarely even consider it.