CO-EXIST: Wii and Cafe

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Peachy_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Peachy_nz
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

Project Cafe, to me, appears to come across as an additional pillar in Nintendo's arsenal of machines. I think they'll announce a redesigned, physically smaller Wii bundle with a very attractive price between Q4 2011 and the Launch of Cafe. They could market the redesign as their dedicated casual system that will co-exist along side their hardcore system, the Nintendo Cafe.

|

Wii REDESIGN FEATURES:

1 - PRICE: An attractive price point, somewhere between US$99-US$129.

2 - SMALLER: Perhaps slimmer rather than a shrinkage of the consoles existing form.

3 - BUNDLE: Wii MotionPlus controller with Wii Sports as a built-in channel and a Mario game.

4 - COLOURS: The system could launch with new colours.

5 - COMPATIBILITY: Backwards compatibility with GameCube games will still exist but will require a Cl@ssic Controller to be played as the GCN ports will be removed.

6 - HD SUPPORT: The console will have an HDMI output.

7 - MARKETING: This will be marketed as a casual gaming platform for anyone who doesn't already have a Wii in their home.

8 - RELEASE: Launched worldwide between Q4 2011 and the Cafe launch.

|

I do feel a redesign is inevitable, look at the success Nintendo had with the DS and Sony with the PS2. Also, people who purchase Wii's in the coming years are not going to want to pay for components that they simply won't use such as the GCN ports, so once you remove them you instantly have a more affordable console to produce and a much smaller console in size, and the components used to build the Wii will become smaller and more affordable to make. Wii really needs HD outputs too.

So I believe it's a matter of 'when' rather than 'if'.

NOW, what do you think Nintendo should name it?

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Thats not going to happen. Cafe will be out later next year and the Wii has been struggling for upwards of two years now

Peachy_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Peachy_nz

I have no doubt in my mind that this will happen. Mark my words!

fitzokoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 fitzokoli
Member since 2005 • 3236 Posts

Very intereseting idea, i'd have to admit it sounds cool :D Hmm but i wonder if Nintendo would risk that, i'd assume they'd just focus on Cafe from here on out with some software support for the current Wii for a little while..

Peachy_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Peachy_nz

Of course! Sony is doing it as we speak with the PS3 and the PS2 Slim. Nintendo is doing it as well with the DSi and the 3DS. It's a great move for them to consider.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

wii will get as much support as game cube did after wii launched , u will see

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
That seems like it would be a huge detractor to Cafe sales, Nintendo will need to garner as much support for their new system as possible, the market is already completely saturated by Wii systems.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Of course! Sony is doing it as we speak with the PS3 and the PS2 Slim. Nintendo is doing it as well with the DSi and the 3DS. It's a great move for them to consider.

Peachy_nz

You're forgetting one VERY important factor in all of this: software support. The reason the PS2 and DS could/can exist with their successors out was because publishers and developers were very comfortable and confident in making successful games on the respective platforms. That's a far cry from how they feel about the Wii, which can't even get a decent share of games now, let alone having to deal with a new system.

The Wii's success has and always will come down to what Nintendo has in store, and the only thing a new system does is divides Nintendo's developing resources. At some point, Nintendo will have to move on from the Wii because if it doesn't, it means that the success of the upcoming system is already being compromised. Unlike Sony and Microsoft's systems and even Nintendo's portable systems to a degree, third party support isn't exactly something that can be relied on to move systems on a Nintendo console, which means the pressure is always on Nintendo to deliver the goods. Quite frankly, not even Nintendo's good enough to keep two consoles going strong at the same time almost single-handedly.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I have no doubt in my mind that this will happen. Mark my words!

Peachy_nz

I will mark them as outrageous and silly

Peachy_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Peachy_nz

Is it really that much of a stretch...

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I'm afraid it is, like MMG said, Nintendo will move major development resources to the new console, they probably already outside of Skyward Sword and Kirby. The Wii has very little in the way of major 3rd party support to speak off and its not going to start with the successor on the way. The Wii will be phased out, rather quickly, so I doubt Nintendo will do anything beyond a price drop and varying bundles.
Peachy_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Peachy_nz

Do you really think Nintendo would just abandon the largest install base ever just like that!? Or would they capitalize on it and try and make it better?

You make it sound like third party support is enough to make Nintendo want to sweep the Wii under the rug! There are plenty of AAA titles on the Wii and many games tailored for the casual audience. I for one know that I would purchase a New Wii if it came out in a new design with HDMI and new colours for $99.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

The way that the Wii achieves BC with the GCN would seem to make substituting the GCN for a CC impossible. If anything they may just ditch BC altogether, much like they did with the DSi.

The games themselves are not designed to output in HD.

Rosaflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Rosaflame
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts
Too many wii consoles out there for something like this to sell well I think.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
"HD support". I stopped reading there.
Peachy_nz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Peachy_nz

"HD support". I stopped reading there.Rod90

Good for you. Wouldn't want you to use the remainder of your brain cells on reading when you obviously need them to stop yourself from going cross eyed.

Gosh! I never realized there were so many pessimistic people out there... I must have missed the memo that "No one wants HD".

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Do you really think Nintendo would just abandon the largest install base ever just like that!? Or would they capitalize on it and try and make it better?

You make it sound like third party support is enough to make Nintendo want to sweep the Wii under the rug! There are plenty of AAA titles on the Wii and many games tailored for the casual audience. I for one know that I would purchase a New Wii if it came out in a new design with HDMI and new colours for $99.

Peachy_nz

I would actually hope that Nintendo wouldn't just abandon the Wii, but once again, Nintendo simply can't keep two consoles going at the same time on its own, and even considering releasing a new system is pretty much saying that Wii support is on the downside.

As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone is saying third party support is enough for Nintendo to do anything. If anything, it's the exact opposite. Nintendo can neither rely on third parties to sell its next system, nor can it rely on third parties to keep the Wii going. That's why it's so important for Nintendo to devote its resources on one console and one console only, on top of creating games for the 3DS' sake, as well. The Wii hasn't even seen a bonafide "system-seller" since New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which was over a year and a half ago! The point is that the system needs games more than anything else to remain relevant, and not only does a new system hurt the Wii chances of getting them, it's not even getting the software it needs right now!