Buying a Wii even if I dislike the controller - worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jake-sf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jake-sf
Member since 2006 • 2923 Posts

I don't have much time, so terribly sorry if its not allowed to ask such a simple thing here, I didn't read the rules...

My friend could get me a Wii - same prize, its just that they are rare and he can get me one. Great. But I'm not sure. I dislike the controller, but some games (MP3, Mario) seems extremely interesting despise the controller, and the coming Brawl is a must have (which doesn't have the problem of the controller of course, I got my GC controllers for that).

Is it a good idea anyway? Do people who dislike the controller still get use to it for good games? Simply, is it worth it for me to buy that Wii?

Watermelon4372

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Watermelon4372
Member since 2007 • 383 Posts
Get it, hold it, love it
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No, it's an awful idea

You hate dogs but someone gave you a Golden Retriever and you're asking if you'll like it

No, you'll hate it and when you complain just please don't do it here?

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Why do you hate the controller? You do not like motion control? IR control? The shape of it? Have you ever tried the Wiimote? You need to try the Wii if you haven't and see if you like it. I controller feels great in your hands so I don't know why you hate it. But if you will can't get to liking the Wiimote then you shouldn't get a Wii. The Wiimote is going to be used in the majority of games so if you don't like the controller it will detract from the enjoyment you will get out of the games. I say you will get to liking the controller if you give it a chance, but don't risk $250 on a chance.
hards80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hards80
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts
if you dislike the controller, then its not worth it.
Cheezy-Beezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Cheezy-Beezy
Member since 2007 • 1329 Posts
dude if u dont like the controller idea then dont buy the system thats one of the main reasons to buy a system:|
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

No, it's an awful idea

You hate dogs but someone gave you a Golden Retriever and you're asking if you'll like it

Jaysonguy

Well don't jump into the deep end just yet. He might think he hates the controller, but he might not have had much time with one. We don't know yet. Don't judge a book by its cover, right?

I used to think I hated cats, but now that I own one, I think they're great.

jake-sf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jake-sf
Member since 2006 • 2923 Posts

Well I already dislike the controller. I'm not trying to spread out hate or anything, I just dislike the feel of it, I'd prefer a classic controller for normal controls anyday instead. I did not try it extensively, merely 10 minutes or so, but I dislike it, plain and simple.

Which means I'd be buying the thing for Brawl more than anything. But I was really wondering more than anything if some people felt the same about the controllers, but actually liked it after a while, when they got used to it. Because I'm not in total hate against the controller either.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bob_newman

I did not try it extensively, merely 10 minutes or so, but I dislike it, plain and simple.

jake-sf

There's the problem. The first time I tried using a computer mouse it felt uncomfortable and strange, but now it's second nature. Same goes for the Wiimote.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, it's an awful idea

bob_newman

Well don't jump into the deep end just yet. He might think he hates the controller, but he might not have had much time with one. We don't know yet. Don't judge a book by its cover, right?

I used to think I hated cats, but now that I own one, I think they're great.

I love cats

Hate dogs

And yes if he's never tried the controller then we don't know.

It's like one of those "Will I/should I?" threads, chances are if you need to ask it's not really worth it.

hards80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hards80
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts

i have both the wii and the xbox 360.

i am glad i own both and have fun on both systems, but i prefer the classic control of the xbox and that is one reason why it gets more of my play time. everyones mileage may vary.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bob_newman

It's like one of those "Will I/should I?" threads, chances are if you need to ask it's not really worth it.

Jaysonguy

Well if you're actually taking the time to ask the question, chances are you are going to be open-minded about it.

Ire-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ire-7
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts
get it, IF you LOVE Super Smash Bros if not dont waste your time and money dude
yeahyeahbigN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yeahyeahbigN
Member since 2007 • 1345 Posts
might as well get one since super smash bros brawl is coming out soon.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

Do people who dislike the controller still get use to it for good games?jake-sf

I don't know, because I think the Wii's controller is great. You really ought to give it a little more of a chance before you blow your wad on a Wii. Since you're interested in Metroid Prime 3, you ought to find someone who has it and play it for more than a few minutes.

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts

To be honest, I have no idea if you'll end up liking the controls. I think the nunchuk is great and the Wiimote could be improved on a little (things like button placement). I don't think you're out too much if you buy a Wii and decide it isn't for you. Considering they're still selling out, they should have pretty good trade-in or re-sale value.

IronManRhino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IronManRhino
Member since 2005 • 2135 Posts
Please don't, leave it for someone who knows what they're getting into and want it for more than one game.
scorpionldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 scorpionldr
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts

I don't have much time, so terribly sorry if its not allowed to ask such a simple thing here, I didn't read the rules...

My friend could get me a Wii - same prize, its just that they are rare and he can get me one. Great. But I'm not sure. I dislike the controller, but some games (MP3, Mario) seems extremely interesting despise the controller, and the coming Brawl is a must have (which doesn't have the problem of the controller of course, I got my GC controllers for that).

Is it a good idea anyway? Do people who dislike the controller still get use to it for good games? Simply, is it worth it for me to buy that Wii?

jake-sf

PERSONALLY I don't think the Wii is going to continue to the max of it's potential using it's Wiimote technology. Sure, we've found some DAMN good uses for the remote. Sure, there's been games (mp3, mario, wii sports, wii play, links crossbow training, etc) that have been COMPLETELY enriched in the Wiimote technology use. At the flip of the coin tho, I think the console would be improved beyond if it continued to use both controllers (GC/classic, Wiimote) with games it's coming out with. I think it's totally likely to happen these days.

WolfWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 WolfWatch
Member since 2007 • 882 Posts
the wiimote is what makes the wii special. if you don't like the wiimote then you won't like the wii. if i don't like the color brown i wont like a brown shirt.
EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
well the controler is the main reason people buy the wii.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

I don't think 10 minutes is enough time to judge if you like something. The controller with awful for me the first time I used it (but then again I was plapying Red Steel...) but eventually I got used to it and I loved it.

But yeah, if you don't like the primary method for controlling games, then you should probobly find another console. I know every console has other controllers, such as arcade fighting sticks, light guns, and third party versions and such, but if you hate the main controller, there really isn't any reason to buy the system.

Semi Off Topic:

Also... Am I the only person who thinks it would be hilarious if they cancelled Super Smash Brothers Brawl all of a sudden? I mean the hype for this game is getting rediculous, and personally I don't see whats so great about it. It was a cool idea back in 1999 but thats about it. This reminds me of Warcraft, and how back in 1994 I was a "loser" and a "nerd" for playing it, but now all of sudden the Warcraft Universe is "the place to be". I wonder who decides what is popular and what isn't.

Bruuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Bruuin
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

I`d say that based on only 10 minutes worth of game time, it`s worth giving the Wii remote control a shot. Long term test if you will. I find that how much I like the controller itself is dependent on how well it`s been applied to a specific game. For example, in a game like Super Mario Galaxy the implimentation of the controller was outstanding. It was subtle rather than overbearing. In a title like Metroid Prime 3, the game well excecuted from a motion standpoint (awesome actually), but the shape of the controller shows it`s flaws after long play sessions where button mashing occurs. You may find that it`s not as comfortable for that title as it is for others.

The remote is still pretty new technology and developers (including nintendo itself) are still figuring out the best ways to take advantage of it. I find that it`s a mixed bag, and that the game and application has a significant effect on how I feel about the controller. In the end, the games matter just as much as the controller though. If Super Smash Brothers Brawl is all you`re after you`re not going to get full value out of your system. If that`s the case, I`d take a pass on the Wii. But if the controller is your only issue I`d give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that you sell the system off, and you`ll certainly get your money back for it.

izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts
if you dislike the controller, then its not worth it. hards80

Part of the Wii is its unique controller. If you dislike it, then whats the point?
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts

i wouldnt buy one just for brawl when u dislike the wii remote.

i dont understand why ppl are hyping brawl anyways.

hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hellhund
Member since 2003 • 1984 Posts
The Wiimote/Chuck setup can be very strange at first. Everyone's gotten so used to sitting with their hands together and not moving the controller in response to the video games that at first, it feels "wrong". But, once you de-program yourself and relax, playing conventional controllers feels very forced. That said, if you're normally someone who doesn't like being outside your comfort zone, you won't like the controller and thus the Wii. If you're more willing to try something different, it might just be for you.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts

Seems quite pointless to buy the Wii if you don't like the controller.

And 10 minutes play-time with the Wii-mote means nothing. Most people don't get used to Wii-mote for a while and they certainly don't get used to it in 10 minutes.

hellhund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hellhund
Member since 2003 • 1984 Posts
If you really want to get a feel for the variety of uses for the Wiimote, Zack and Wiki is an outstanding example. Heck, there's even a naked man in the game to show you how to do the moves. :)