Are there any good JRPGs like Ni No Kuni for the 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tixylixx
Member since 2011 • 312 Posts
I cannot find any good JRPGs like this on the PS3, the 3DS seems really down on games, I'm not interested in Mario or anything, just the traditional JRPG. Thanx.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Your best bet is to wait for SMTIV. That'll be the first JRPG epic on the system if I'm not mistaken. Comes out in a couple weeks.

Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tixylixx
No EU release date, I don't like the look of it anyways.
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

The Dragon Quest games are a lot like Ni No Kuni, but they haven't been released outside of Japan yet. They are similar because Level-5 made Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and since then Square Enix has been making Dragon Quest similar to that, so modern Dragon Quest games basically feel like Level-5 games but they aren't.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Tales of the Abyss.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
You could always import Ni No Kuni if you have a DS.
voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
You could always import Ni No Kuni if you have a DS.Minishdriveby
Duh.. he has a 3ds so he can import ni no kuni anyway.. besides it comes with the book so thats always a win.. the only cache is that you need to know japanese
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]You could always import Ni No Kuni if you have a DS.voljin1987
Duh.. he has a 3ds so he can import ni no kuni anyway.. besides it comes with the book so thats always a win.. the only cache is that you need to know japanese

Isn't the 3DS region locked?
Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts
[QUOTE="voljin1987"][QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]You could always import Ni No Kuni if you have a DS.Minishdriveby

Isn't the 3DS region locked?

Not when it comes to playing DS games (with possible exception of DSi-enabled games and a few late releases).
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Obligatory Fire Emblem post.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Tales of the Abyss.

Bigboi500
I second this. It's a great game.
Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Etrian Odyssey IV is amazing. Doesn't play at all like Ni No Kuni but there is a demo on the eshop.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Tales of the Abyss.

Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I have it, too, and I still forgot!

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Tales of the Abyss.

Toxic-Seahorse

One of the worst games in the Tales series (not counting all the side games). ...pretty terrible IMO as far as RPG's go (character, story, writing, etc) Though I only played it on the PS2
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
Tales of the Abyss is a great JRPG that is on the system.
Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tixylixx
Yeh none of them interest me, I'll just put it away until there is a proper AAA JRPG, all these just look like iPhone games or something, just slim pickings.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Tales of the Abyss.

rawsavon

One of the worst games in the Tales series (not counting all the side games). ...pretty terrible IMO as far as RPG's go (character, story, writing, etc) Though I only played it on the PS2

What Tales games are you talking about? Both character and story wise I found the game to be a bit better than Symphonia. There was a lot more character development and the smaller cast of characters allowed for more focused stories for each. The story is nothing amazing, but I found it better and more original than ToS. The combat and graphics are a bit dated but that's to be expected for a game that was released on PS2. The game is actually one of my favorite Tales games. It doesn't have as much charm as ToS and is a bit less challenging overall, but I still thought it was a great game.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts
Why do I get the feeling your a troll, you seem to just shoot down everything everyone says...Why buy the 3DS if you know theres not a bunch of JRPGS? Tales Of The Abyss, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Shin Megami Tensei 4 are the main ones.
Yeh none of them interest me, I'll just put it away until there is a proper AAA JRPG, all these just look like iPhone games or something, just slim pickings.Tixylixx
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
What about Project X Zone?
Tixylixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tixylixx
[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]Why do I get the feeling your a troll, you seem to just shoot down everything everyone says...Why buy the 3DS if you know theres not a bunch of JRPGS? Tales Of The Abyss, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Shin Megami Tensei 4 are the main ones.
Yeh none of them interest me, I'll just put it away until there is a proper AAA JRPG, all these just look like iPhone games or something, just slim pickings.Tixylixx

Troll? No just none of these games look any good. Cause all my friends were raving about animal crossing, I played it and found it to be like a FB game so want to play something else.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I second this. It's a great game.Toxic-Seahorse

What Tales games are you talking about? Both character and story wise I found the game to be a bit better than Symphonia. There was a lot more character development and the smaller cast of characters allowed for more focused stories for each. The story is nothing amazing, but I found it better and more original than ToS. The combat and graphics are a bit dated but that's to be expected for a game that was released on PS2. The game is actually one of my favorite Tales games. It doesn't have as much charm as ToS and is a bit less challenging overall, but I still thought it was a great game.

WORST LEAD EVER...well this side of Squall (FF8) anyways. He 'broke' the entire experience for me. First half of the game he is an annoying, whiny little b*tch. Fine. He is terrible. I can accept that, [spoiler] then all of a sudden, in a matter 15 minutes, he suddenly 'matures' in the most unbelievable of fashions...so worst lead ever followed by worst character development ever, hyperbole aside. [/spoiler] The combat was good...same as all tales games. Don't care about the graphics either way...so long as they are at least SNES level quality. Many of the others characters were good to very good. But, for me, the 'lead' is what makes or breaks an RPG (unless it is a game like FF12 where there is no true lead). I take each game's era into consideration when rating them. The only one I rate worse is Legendia (have not played ToS2...nor have I got a chance to play Vesperia as I don't have an xbox) I rate Symphonia, Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny above it (once again taking era into consideration)
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I'm currently working my through Devil Summoner: Overclocked and I'm liking it a great deal. It's only my second foray into the Shin Megami Tensei universe but it has whetted my appetite for more, which is handy given that SMT 4 and Soul Hackers are on the way (in fact I would have bought Soul Hackers but for some reason it doesn't arrive in Europe until September).

I realise that it's not really similar to Ni No Kuni but I recommend it if you have a JRPG itch that needs scratching.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]  One of the worst games in the Tales series (not counting all the side games). ...pretty terrible IMO as far as RPG's go (character, story, writing, etc) Though I only played it on the PS2rawsavon

WORST LEAD EVER...well this side of Squall (FF8) anyways. He 'broke' the entire experience for me. First half of the game he is an annoying, whiny little b*tch. Fine. He is terrible. I can accept that, [spoiler] then all of a sudden, in a matter 15 minutes, he suddenly 'matures' in the most unbelievable of fashions...so worst lead ever followed by worst character development ever, hyperbole aside. [/spoiler] The combat was good...same as all tales games. Don't care about the graphics either way...so long as they are at least SNES level quality. Many of the others characters were good to very good. But, for me, the 'lead' is what makes or breaks an RPG (unless it is a game like FF12 where there is no true lead). I take each game's era into consideration when rating them. The only one I rate worse is Legendia (have not played ToS2...nor have I got a chance to play Vesperia as I don't have an xbox) I rate Symphonia, Phantasia, Eternia, Destiny above it (once again taking era into consideration)

I actually like that at the beginning he was an ignorant douche bag. It was different from almost every other game where the lead is a stereotypical "I'm going to save the world!" character. Yeah I hated his guts, but that was part of the fun, not to mention you don't actually have to play as him if you don't want to. I guess it was kind of refreshing to have a character with, well, character. Lloyd was so boring and all he did was spew idealist crap the entire game, he had no character what so ever.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I actually like that at the beginning he was an ignorant douche bag. It was different from almost every other game where the lead is a stereotypical "I'm going to save the world!" character. Yeah I hated his guts, but that was part of the fun, not to mention you don't actually have to play as him if you don't want to. I guess it was kind of refreshing to have a character with, well, character. Lloyd was so boring and all he did was spew idealist crap the entire game, he had no character what so ever.

All of that wold have been fine, reasonable, etc. His character, while unlikable, was understandable. ...if they did not ruin it/make it worse with the worst, quickest 'maturation' ever. It just made the whole thing laughably bad
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I actually like that at the beginning he was an ignorant douche bag. It was different from almost every other game where the lead is a stereotypical "I'm going to save the world!" character. Yeah I hated his guts, but that was part of the fun, not to mention you don't actually have to play as him if you don't want to. I guess it was kind of refreshing to have a character with, well, character. Lloyd was so boring and all he did was spew idealist crap the entire game, he had no character what so ever.

All of that wold have been fine, reasonable, etc. His character, while unlikable, was understandable. ...if they did not ruin it/make it worse with the worst, quickest 'maturation' ever. It just made the whole thing laughably bad

I agree with you there. He was more annoying than anything the last half of the game.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#27 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You also have access to the DS game library, and there are plenty of great old school JRPGs on the DS. Dragon Quest would be your best bet and if you like the monster collecting aspect there is always Dragon Quest Monsters or the Pokemon games.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

You also have access to the DS game library, and there are plenty of great old school JRPGs on the DS. Dragon Quest would be your best bet and if you like the monster collecting aspect there is always Dragon Quest Monsters or the Pokemon games.

turtlethetaffer
well if you are gonna refer to ds jrpgs then chrono trigger and radiant historia are must play games
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

voljin1987

well if you are gonna refer to ds jrpgs then chrono trigger and radiant historia are must play games

Yes I thought that went without saying :P

Also dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy IV.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#30 gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

Sometime later this year that Bravely Default should be going global, looks like a solid adventure. 

I'm playing Tales of the Abyss right now actually.  7 hours in, and it's got me coming back.  The story has a lot of music themes, and there are some interesting sound/music theory-points in the plot. ...yet there's also fair amount of save spots-- so its good in small doses.  The whole story that takes awhile for all the details to come out.  The main character is a bit of a whiner, hopefully that tapers off soon... 

It'll keep me busy till SMT !V comes out...thats like NNK in the sense that you team up various "enemies"

Nothing will really be like Ni No Kuni again though...