Anyone else tired of Atlus yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

Besides upcoming Disgaea, Atlus hasn't really churned out anything good lately ( nothing above a 7) we could at least use an 8. Its probably the most trusted brand next to Nintendo, but does it really deserve all that credit?

Rondo of Swords , Luminous Arc, Izuna and Drone tactics - examples : people assume Atlus games are going to be good, probably because they try to pull you in with their art style. But from my experience, I've just been disappointed; but hey, its just my opinion.

Personally, I think Square Enix is better to turn to for RPGs.

Or maybe this is just a cult thing and I didn't catch on...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Atlus is amazing

They're the only company that gives users Japanese games that aren't edited to trash

Plus they give games that aren't mainstream that no other publisher has the guts to bring over

Avatar image for fireemblemgamer
fireemblemgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fireemblemgamer
Member since 2007 • 205 Posts

i totally agree with you, i bought Luminous Arc because it was supposed to be the next fire emblem.... and it wasn't. The story was generic, the voice acting was plain annoying (especially that stupid healer who was so slow she was useless) and the gameplay didn't pull me in. The characters were also largely underwhelming.

I also bought Lost Magic, which premise was cool and the gameplay was fine, but once again the story sucked. And RPG's are all about story and character development. Also, I find that Atlus games are either incredibly easy, or punishingly difficult. I found Lost Magic to be both. The first 15-20 levels were deathly easy, and after that, it was so brutal that I gave up trying after dying multiple times. It was also a dissapointment.

I cant wait for FFIV though, the story of Cecil enthralls me, and although I have played FF I and II: Dawn of Souls, they didn't have enough story for me to stay interested for more than a few days in a row. I hope that this edition to the series will help Square Enix rather than hurt it.

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
atlus is an amazing company I love their games,my favrioute RPG company
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Atlus is amazing

They're the only company that gives users Japanese games that aren't edited to trash

Plus they give games that aren't mainstream that no other publisher has the guts to bring over

Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy, you get cookies and props and internets and robots with lasers and Japanese game shows for defending that, I thought you hated RPG's.

Disgaea DS- Thats from NISA, take it up with them, Lost Winds- Taito (which is SE folks) and Ubisoft are to blame.

Seriously, this is on the heels of releasing Etrian Odessey II and Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2? Did you even look at the new release calendar before you asked this question?

pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts

Atlus is good but their DS games are lacking. Luminous Arc was ok but I didnt like Etrian Odyssey. For the PSP though I loved Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner. Overall I prefer SE for rpgs because they are consistantly good games. Atlus has jems but you have to find them through some other not so great ones.

mach1inferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mach1inferno
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts
I for one am not tired of Atlus. Some of the games they bring over lack in many aspects, but they always make up for them with other fantastic games.
pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pppjjj
Member since 2004 • 1094 Posts

Besides upcoming Disgaea, Atlus hasn't really churned out anything good lately ( nothing above a 7) we could at least use an 8. Its probably the most trusted brand next to Nintendo, but does it really deserve all that credit?

Rondo of Swords , Luminous Arc, Izuna and Drone tactics - examples : people assume Atlus games are going to be good, probably because they try to pull you in with their art style. But from my experience, I've just been disappointed; but hey, its just my opinion.

TalesofRaGnArOk
Atlus is a great company and the only good thing going for Square Enix is Final Fantasy.
zeldafan139

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeldafan139
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts

at least atlus is making decent games

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts
I hate JRPG's. That should show where I stand with Atlus.
WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Atlus is amazing

SirSpudly

Jaysonguy, you get cookies and props and internets and robots with lasers and Japanese game shows for defending that, I thought you hated RPG's.

Disgaea DS- Thats from NISA, take it up with them, Lost Winds- Taito (which is SE folks) and Ubisoft are to blame.

Seriously, this is on the heels of releasing Etrian Odessey II and Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2? Did you even look at the new release calendar before you asked this question?

My thoughts exactly, especially considering EO II has been getting very positive reviews of late -- 8+, which is much higher than the first. Regardless of the scoring though, Atlus is still one of my favorite RPG companies for both Etrian Odyssey and Disgaea.

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts
I just say they're DS games are lacking over here in the States...other than that, I think Atlus is amazing :).
suijin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 suijin2
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts

i think Atlus is going downward in my opinion But there tactics or the the old ones like the ogre tactics ,orge battle and one of my favs Riviera and yggdra union and summon night...........in my opinon more than half of atlus's arent great or not worth finishing and/or not fun or nothing to pull you in to the game

Archale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Archale
Member since 2006 • 2129 Posts

Overeacting. Atlus tends to target specific gamers, unlike other developers, like Nintendo, who want their games to be played by everyone. Thus, Atlus brings games in short supply, the average gamer is not suppoused to like them, live with it. Also, what's that stuff about 7 and 8s? Grades are relative to the players. I loved Draglade, and here it got a pretty crappy score. Luminous Arc is fun, Izuna looks great, an easy Shiren if you will.

Yoshi_Kirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yoshi_Kirby
Member since 2007 • 105 Posts

TalesofRaGnArOk

I disagree, I'd say that Square Enix is the most trusted brand/company next to Nintendo... but that's just my opinion.

1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
Atlus has been on fire lately. They have been churning out games left and right which is good. They are like the new Squaresoft of this age. The games I look forward to the most for them to release are Luminous Arc II and Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4.
pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pppjjj
^^^ Persona 4 cant wait for that game.
thecraponahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 thecraponahat
Member since 2004 • 219 Posts
Its because you americans like porting the crappy games and most games that are good for the DS are anime based games i can name a lot of games that you people would like to play but only exist in japan thats why the PSP and DS game library sucks or has only a few hits compared to the *** market and the us market gets really odd indy like games
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
atlus has released a bunch of good games on the ds that I enjoy. Defiantely not tired of them!
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts
I am not tired of Atlus yet. I think you are right about it bring a cult thing. I don't particularly like Square Enix's games unless they are also Dragon Quest games for some reason. And I HATE THE SQUARE ENIX TAX.
w00tmanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 w00tmanX
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts

Erm, I've enjoyed most of Atlus's games for the DS. Etrian Odyssey, Izuna... heh, I even enjoyed Deep Labyrinth somewhat. I don't care about the review scores that conflict with my own (EO, I consider worthy of a nine) and instead I just enjoy the game.

Yes, I'm a fan of Atlus's work, and I'm not at all tired of them or their games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#22 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts
Atlus rarely does a thing with Nintendo as they do more Sony like Square Enix does.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

Atlus rarely does a thing with Nintendo.nintendoboy16

Que?

Etrian Odyssey

Etrian Odyssey II

Summon Night : Twin Age

Trauma Center : Under The Knife

Trauma Center : Under The Knife 2

Neves

Drone Tactics

Rondo Of Swords

Luminous Arc

Contact

Izuna

Izuna 2

Touch Detective

Touch Detective 2 1/2

Panzer Tactics

Bomberman Land Touch

Puyo Pop Fever

Ontamarama

Draglade

Deep Labryrinth

SBK Snowboard Kids

Let's throw in all Nintendo support this gen

Trauma Center

Trauma Center New Blood

Octomania

Baroque

Dokapon Kingdom

You have an interesting definition of "rare"

WAIW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 WAIW
Member since 2008 • 5000 Posts

Atlus rarely does a thing with Nintendo as they do more Sony like Square Enix does.nintendoboy16

Wait, what? Maybe on the console side of things, but definitely not handheld-wise. Square Enix support on the DS (Ninty) has been infinitely stronger than on the PSP (Sony). While the Sony system gets Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts (not out yet) Tactics and Lenneth, Ninty's own gets TWEWY, its own Tactics, a large amount of Dragon Quests, Final Fantasy remakes, Valkrye Profile (Not out yet), Sigma Harmonics (Not out yet), its own Kingdom Hearts (not out yet) and titles like Revenant Wings, Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo Tales. Even excluding titles that aren't out yet, the DS gets far more Square support than the PSP :? Point being, that was an odd analogy.

On Atlus' side of things, even Atlus is moving towards the DS with Disgaea.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Atlus rarely does a thing with Nintendo as they do more Sony like Square Enix does.WAIW

Wait, what? Maybe on the console side of things, but definitely not handheld-wise. Square Enix support on the DS (Ninty) has been infinitely stronger than on the PSP (Sony). While the Sony system gets Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts (not out yet) Tactics and Lenneth, Ninty's own gets TWEWY, its own Tactics, a large amount of Dragon Quests, Final Fantasy remakes, Valkrye Profile (Not out yet), Sigma Harmonics (Not out yet), its own Kingdom Hearts (not out yet) and titles like Revenant Wings, Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo Tales. Even excluding titles that aren't out yet, the DS gets far more Square support than the PSP :? Point being, that was an odd analogy.

On Atlus' side of things, even Atlus is moving towards the DS with Disgaea.

I said that because it's more "overall" than in just one department. And SE and Atlus support for DS isn't that strong.
Alexander146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Alexander146
Member since 2005 • 722 Posts

I think the main reason some prefer Square Enix over Atlus is because Atlus' games tend to be extremly challenging. From what I've read, both Etrian Odyssey and Izuna 1 (which I plan to get) both had pretty punishing difficulty levels.

Still, I enjoy both, though lately I've been leaning towards Atlus, since their plots tend to be slightly better then Square Enix's (example: Persona 3: FES)

Squire_Ramza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Squire_Ramza
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts

Atlus is amazing

Jaysonguy

I agree. Developers are too afraid to experiment anymore. Remember the PS era? So many great games because developers were willing to try out something new instead of throwing out a crappy sequel money maker. Atlus has the guts to try something new so they'll always have my respect. Hell, the only really fun games I've played lately were by Atlus. I never go by gamespots reviews of their games. They seem to give them a lower score than they deserve such as Odin Sphere for example. Beautiful game, semi-bad review.

TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TalesofRaGnArOk

I think the main reason some prefer Square Enix over Atlus is because Atlus' games tend to be extremly challenging. From what I've read, both Etrian Odyssey and Izuna 1 (which I plan to get) both had pretty punishing difficulty levels.

Still, I enjoy both, though lately I've been leaning towards Atlus, since their plots tend to be slightly better then Square Enix's (example: Persona 3: FES)

Alexander146

The plots are usually the worst part of their games ( In my opinion) and as someone who likes RPGs a lot, its a turn off. They're usually so cliche, and the character dialogue is hilariously bad.

Out of all the DS GAMES atlus has made, I'm sure that only 3 or 4 are actually any good, maybe less. But then again, its all opinion

And I sort of agree on the difficulty aspect ( to previous posters)

Krusnikzero2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Krusnikzero2
Member since 2007 • 275 Posts

My experiences with atlus games went from great to mediocre. I loved Etrian Odessey, Luminous Arc was ok, then Rondo of Swords just wasn't very good. Now I make sure to wait for reviews before I buy an atlus game.

Hells_Hammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hells_Hammer
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts
[QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

pppjjj

Atlus is a great company and the only good thing going for Square Enix is Final Fantasy.

Anymore...

Don't get me wrong, because I love Atlus for more than a few games (not to mention the fact that they were the only company to attempt to release Mother 3 in English).

But if Square decided they had a brain and released or remade some of the 'golden era' stuff (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, ect.) I think it'd be enough to make most people forget about Atlus in a heart beat.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jaysonguy

if Square decided they had a brain and released or remade some of the 'golden era' stuff (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, ect.) I think it'd be enough to make most people forget about Atlus in a heart beat.

Hells_Hammer

Not at all

Square makes stuff for the mainstream, it's all very user friendly and is made for the masses. They're very good at it and most of their stuff is worthwhile and worthy of purchase.

Atlus on the other hand isn't mainstream. It's for gamers who fit it in certain niches that no other company even tries to make games for.

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Agree'd. Most of their Nintendo games are trash. The games that were ever good were the first two Sommon Night: Swordcraft Story games.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jaysonguy

Agree'd. Most of their Nintendo games are trash. The games that were ever good were the first two Sommon Night: Swordcraft Story games. GamerJM

So you live out of the regions where Trauma Center or Etrian Odyssey or like a dozen other games are released?

Alexander146

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Alexander146
Member since 2005 • 722 Posts

Actually, many MANY people greatly enjoyed Trauma Center, Etrian Odyssey, Izuna and other Nintendo Atlus games. I myself enjoyed Riviera and Demikids on the GBA.

Again though, their games tend to be very hard, especially Izuna and Etrian Odyssey, from what I've heard.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#35 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Are you kidding? Atlus does amazing work. if you're skipping their games just because of GS scores, you're taking the reviewer's oppinion WAY too seriously.

Seriously, Odin Sphere is one of the best games of recent memory. And the trauma centres haven't disappointed, either

TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TalesofRaGnArOk
[QUOTE="Hells_Hammer"]

if Square decided they had a brain and released or remade some of the 'golden era' stuff (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, ect.) I think it'd be enough to make most people forget about Atlus in a heart beat.

Jaysonguy

Not at all

Square makes stuff for the mainstream, it's all very user friendly and is made for the masses. They're very good at it and most of their stuff is worthwhile and worthy of purchase.

Atlus on the other hand isn't mainstream. It's for gamers who fit it in certain niches that no other company even tries to make games for.

I agree that square enix has become somewhat mainstream, but its games so far have not been casual friendly ( FF3, TTEWY, etc.) Atlus' non mainstream approach seems to work half the time, making its RPGs based off of more famous RPGs, trying to emulate ( I guess?) some of that greatness into their games. I don't think its working in the DS's case.

And I notice that the only titles that people are bringing up are Etrian Odyssey and Trauma center....is that it? 2 good ones?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Hells_Hammer"]

TalesofRaGnArOk

Not at all

I agree that square enix has become somewhat mainstream, but its games so far have not been casual friendly ( FF3, TTEWY, etc.) Atlus' non mainstream approach seems to work half the time, making its RPGs based off of more famous RPGs, trying to emulate ( I guess?) some of that greatness into their games. I don't think its working in the DS's case.

And I notice that the only titles that people are bringing up are Etrian Odyssey and Trauma center....is that it? 2 good ones?

No, those are the two games at the end of each side of the spectrum

You have Trauma Center, a title that's branches out a new genre with controls that just about anyone with hands can pick up

Then you have Etrian Odyssey that's so old school that 99% of gamers today can't even get past the title screen before they fail and give up

Neither one of those games would see the light of day over in the states if not for Atlus bringing them over. They took the chance and it's worked amazingly well. Trauma Center is so popular it's got two version on the DS and the Wii plus other developers trying to imitate it and Etrian Odyssey despite being for such a small number of players is so loved that we're fortune enough to get a sequel.

Atlus publishes tons of great games that each clique of gamer will love. Their games are not for everyone and they make that perfectly clear, if you're looking for a company that dulls everything to a cookie cutter formula they want you to look elsewhere.

On the other hand if you're looking for something that's not quite mainstream then they're a paradise for gamers.

pppjjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pppjjj
[QUOTE="pppjjj"][QUOTE="TalesofRaGnArOk"]

Hells_Hammer

Anymore...

Don't get me wrong, because I love Atlus for more than a few games (not to mention the fact that they were the only company to attempt to release Mother 3 in English).

But if Square decided they had a brain and released or remade some of the 'golden era' stuff (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, ect.) I think it'd be enough to make most people forget about Atlus in a heart beat.

Yea but square is not square anymore square is dead what you see now is Squareenix the company who puts out final fantasy spin offs and remakes.
japanesegoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 japanesegoth
Member since 2004 • 2164 Posts

i like the fact that they bring a lot of different rpg's to nintendo...i still like square-enix better...or at least, the games they used to make. i am looking forward to dragon quest 9 though.

Omatic810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Omatic810
Member since 2004 • 50 Posts

For the most part, all Atlus does is translate and / or add voice acting to the games, so faults that the game itself has (in terms of mechanics, gameplay, etc.) isn't their fault. If you havea problem with one of those aspects of their game, then yes, they could be blamed for that. If the games they're releasing here were rated solely on those two aspects, then "low" scores such as 7 an be put on them.

Howver, usually scores between 5 and 7, in my experience, mean that the game is good, and there will be a group of people who likes it, but it may not be you. Atlus generally releases niche titles from Japan that nobody else would try and localize, whcih is something that I personally appreciate, since my Japanese skills are far from where I'd be able to play though a text-heavy Japanese game.

So no, I'm not "tired" of Atlus. Maybe Ubisoft (Petz!?), but not Atlus.

abephroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 abephroman
Member since 2007 • 250 Posts
Atlus is great but it can't compare to Square. Square games have way better plots. Alot of Atlus games seem thrown together. I still enjoy them, but I don't think they are as good. And they need to move to the PS3 already. I play my PS2 alot, but it's time to move on. And yes, their DS games stink. EO is ok.
etcetcetc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 etcetcetc
Member since 2005 • 439 Posts

atlus are milking things at the moment especially since baroque was terrible as well as rereleasing riviera and yggdra union for psp

they need to stop constantly releasing titles for the sake of it and start concentrating on some titles for the next gen consoles

nippon ichis already made the transition with disgaea 3 and enix with the soon to be final fantasy games

atlus really has to stop milking the ps2 and ds but hey whatever gets you money right?

Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts
Nope, I'm looking forward to Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 and Disgaea DS.
diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

Wtf is peoples obsession with scores?!?

Jeesus, besides, since when was a company putting out average to above average games a bad thing?!?!

Get over yourself and either enjoy the games, or dont.

Also, remember people, the only reason Atlus is one of the only companies putting out japanese games that aren't editied up the ying yang is because at one point they were one of the worst for doing this, and were bombarded with hate mail/requests/etc from fans until they cleaned up their act. Much like Funimation.

I've not played a lot of Atlus games in all honesty, I want to though I just dot have the interest/money for J games at the moment my efforts are concentrated mainly on saving for my guitar and bolstering my 360 collection given I have the entire SMT catalogue (well, the ones released in PAL) and about 10 other PS2 JRPGs to fall back on when I finally get a taste for them again.