am i too big for the wii fit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30038.html

in this preview from gametrailers.com says the wii has a weight limit of 300 pounds. I am 6.1 and 250 pounds. ok that under the limit but what about when there is like a jumping game or something. like what is it made out of.

ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

We're about in the same boat in the weight and height category, we should be fine.

That preview video actually got me a little excited about Wii Fit. It may actually get me to become a little more active on a daily basis, and have fun doing it. Nintendo is brilliant.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XxAK47xX
im also tring to find out how much does it cost. i heard a couple of people say 80 dollars
notalkjustrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 notalkjustrock
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts

250 < 300, sounds like you'll be fine.

There isn't jumping, you just lean forward.

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts

notalkjustrock
It's true, but if there should be a game that requires you to jump, then the weight suddenly becomes much higher upon landing. However, I do think that it was taken into consideration that people close to that weight would put on more than the limit upon landing from a jump, 300lbs + force of coming down on the board should be more than safe.
ozzsoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ozzsoad
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

im also tring to find out how much does it cost. i heard a couple of people say 80 dollarsXxAK47xX

I've heard it'll be $69.99...

sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
YOU DON"T JUMP ON THE BOARD. You simply raise up on your tippy toes to signify a jumping motion. for games like the tight rope walking were you jump over stuff it will be a hard temption but don't to it. they even post warnings before certain games telling you not to actually jump.
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

YOU DON"T JUMP ON THE BOARD. You simply raise up on your tippy toes to signify a jumping motion. for games like the tight rope walking were you jump over stuff it will be a hard temption but don't to it. they even post warnings before certain games telling you not to actually jump.sumarr

I think the concern is about future titles (not just Wii Fit) that leverage the board, and how it would stand up to jumping if a game called for it.

mojothebaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 mojothebaboon
Member since 2005 • 85 Posts
I actually read somewhere that the Board is not meant to be jump on, which let us suppose there wont be any jump-based games.
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XxAK47xX
can the wii fit bord be used on carpet or will i have to find a flat board to put under it
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

can the wii fit bord be used on carpet or will i have to find a flat board to put under itXxAK47xX

depends on the length of the carpet. To play it safe you might need something underneath.

In Japan the Wii Fit package (game that comes with disk and downloadable channel plus Wii Fit board) is around 70 dollars so I see it selling at the same price as DDR for the Wii (69.99)

SHACKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 SHACKR
Member since 2007 • 1226 Posts
you should be okay.
ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts
Im sure nintendo wouldnt set the limit at 300 if 300 wasnt competely safe... nintendo does a lot of what they do not to get sued.
one_of_panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 one_of_panda
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts
300lbs really...well that sucks i am just a little bit over 300. Hopefully I will still be ok.
hayner225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 hayner225
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts
What is wii fit? I've heard of it but...
smashball64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 smashball64
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

You should be good. Reggie was on it and he's a big guy.

If the limit says 300, then it can probably handle even a little more than that under normal circumstances. And if its rated that high and they anticipate jumping and moving, I think its probably designed well enough to take a 250-pounder jumping on it

PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 PeterPerson
Member since 2007 • 3627 Posts

you should be ok.

but i think they should have made the weight limit more. there is lots of nasty fat people who will be angry.

hehe :P

Kuhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Kuhu
Member since 2004 • 2845 Posts
[QUOTE="notalkjustrock"]

Cesar_Barba

It's true, but if there should be a game that requires you to jump, then the weight suddenly becomes much higher upon landing. However, I do think that it was taken into consideration that people close to that weight would put on more than the limit upon landing from a jump, 300lbs + force of coming down on the board should be more than safe.

Your thinking of force, your weight doesnt change no matter how high you jump or how far you fall. Force = Mass x Acceleration c:

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
how much is 300 pounds in Kilo's?
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

I'm guessing there will never be a game that calls for jumping on the board, since it wasn't designed for it and someone could easily get hurt and sue. Probably all games will have a safety screen demonstrating proper use, just like the screens that tell you to wear the wiimote strap.

You're 50 lbs. under the weight limit; don't be overly rough on it and I think you should be fine.

Goten_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Goten_king
Member since 2004 • 4327 Posts
[QUOTE="Cesar_Barba"][QUOTE="notalkjustrock"]

Kuhu

Your thinking of force, your weight doesnt change no matter how high you jump or how far you fall. Force = Mass x Acceleration c:

however, weight is a measure of force... americans are just stupid and don't label things right. in reality the board has a force limit. of like, x Newtons, so when put into lbs (another measure of force) its 300. your weight is still dependent on your environment and how you interact with it... mass is not however.
strieeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 strieeyes
Member since 2003 • 1397 Posts

americans are just stupid and don't label things right.

Goten_king

Wow! Unnecessary.

Has there been a release date for the WiiFit yet?

ag1052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ag1052
Member since 2006 • 5725 Posts

[QUOTE="Goten_king"]

americans are just stupid and don't label things right.

strieeyes

Wow! Unnecessary.

Has there been a release date for the WiiFit yet?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=34365

april-june

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts
[QUOTE="Kuhu"][QUOTE="Cesar_Barba"][QUOTE="notalkjustrock"]

Goten_king

however, weight is a measure of force... americans are just stupid and don't label things right. in reality the board has a force limit. of like, x Newtons, so when put into lbs (another measure of force) its 300. your weight is still dependent on your environment and how you interact with it... mass is not however.

Weight is determined by mass and gravitational pull (a force). Weight itself is not measuring the force (gravity) but it's effect on mass. You weight is only dependant on the gravitational pull (and since we are rarely outside of earth's atmosphere in our lifetime can be expressed as a constant).

I agree that Force = Mass x Acceleration is far from the full extent of the physics involved, but calling Americans stupid is uncalled for.

You are criticizing a post on its correct presentation of physics when the first word in the post is grammatically incorrect. There is no need to berate the poster for either of these because the basic idea is still communicated.

That being said, the basic design isn't able to handle jumping is the general consensus. I personally have no problem with this because I think it would be awkward to try to leap from one platform to another, move my character forward to make the jump, focus on landing back on the board, and still feel like it's an immersive experience.

Back to the physics, weight topic. The game does include pushups so we know that it is designed to handle heightened downward forces. In this particular case, the weight is on a pivot and the board isn't handling the entire weight. It doesn't change the fact that the design is handling extra forces and I'm sure nintendo wouldn't say 300 pounds without it being completely sure that this is a perfectly fine weight for "normal" use.

You'll be fine if you weigh less than 300 and don't try to use it as a trampoline.