Advanced Wars Dual Strike or Days of Ruin? which one did you like most?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jayesler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Jayesler12
Member since 2006 • 1690 Posts
i'm just curious because many people are saying they liked Dual Strike a lot better, and that Days of Ruin wasn't as good. So in comparison, which Advanced Wars game did you like best - Advanced Wars: Dual Strike or Advanced Wars: Days of Ruin
podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts
No, Days of Ruin is way better. Everything is improved, although they removed some content. But I hardly even miss the content they removed from Days of Ruin...
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Dual Strike

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#4 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
Days of Ruin because of the online mode.
Cepasa221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cepasa221
Member since 2003 • 274 Posts
days of ruin
sc_ajk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 sc_ajk29
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts

Dual Strike hands down.

sc_ajk29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 sc_ajk29
Member since 2007 • 564 Posts

i'm just curious because many people are saying they liked Dual Strike a lot better, and that Days of Ruin wasn't as good. So in comparison, which Advanced Wars game did you like best - Advanced Wars: Dual Strike or Advanced Wars: Days of RuinJayesler12

Uhh actually, nearly everyone I've seen says that Days of Ruin is way better, and Dual Strike is horrible.

Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts
Wait.. first you say you like Dual strike and then you say its horrible... am i missing something?
ybrik222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 ybrik222
Member since 2005 • 647 Posts

Wait.. first you say you like Dual strike and then you say its horrible... am i missing something?barney_calhoun_

He wasn't agreeing, he was pointing out something.

But I myself have heard that Dual Strike was better. But hey, if it's another Advance Wars game, can you really go wrong?

Avatar image for barney_calhoun_
barney_calhoun_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 barney_calhoun_
Member since 2006 • 3887 Posts
Wait he said "dual strike is horrible" sounded like his opinion.. but.. well i guess i was wrong..
boater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 boater
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

As you can see it's quite a toss up, and for me the choice is no easier to make. Both games have things that I really like about them, but I would have to say that in the end I enjoyed Dual Strike more. Sure, the dual screen battles were new, but not at all intriguing or even fun. More like a nuisance. In the end DS still has the fun factor on its side. Sure, some COs were overpowered, but I still really enjoyed their normal attributes such as +direct damage or +attack range for indirects. I felt that the COs were too limited in DoR which really made the COs feel too similar. I generally felt like never using a CO power because the CO boosts (and boosting zone increase from having a full/half gauge) were more beneficial. Considering that COs were a cornerstone of the AW series, the "dilution" of these COs has made the game considerably less fun. Another thing I really enjoyed about DS was the leveling aspect. Sure, some COs were already too powerful, but it was still lots of fun to see what kind of combinations you would choose for a given battle. It also gave you more reason to play the single player.

DoR definitely focused much more on the wifi aspect, and the single player portion is definitely hurting in my opinion. I don't understand why critics say that the campaign is harder, because I felt that it was easier (though I honestly haven't gone through the campaign on hard). No war room, no leveling, no challenge maps...they really took a lot out to add in the multiplayer. I enjoy DoRs new units as well as the modifications to old ones (run n gun battleships and seaplanes) and taking out neotanks was a good balancing move since they were definitely too good, but in the end I definitely feel less compelled to play DoR than I did DS. The most important part about a game is how fun it is, and DS wins in that category.

On one final note, I just wanted to say that the DS audio track was also much more enjoyable. DoR's metal theme was a little too much for me because many tracks sounded too similar. I liked DS's unique tracks for their COs and it really made it more pleasant on the ears than hearing similar heavy metal for every character as with DoR.

TrevorBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrevorBG
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="Jayesler12"]i'm just curious because many people are saying they liked Dual Strike a lot better, and that Days of Ruin wasn't as good. So in comparison, which Advanced Wars game did you like best - Advanced Wars: Dual Strike or Advanced Wars: Days of Ruinsc_ajk29

Uhh actually, nearly everyone I've seen says that Days of Ruin is way better, and Dual Strike is horrible.

Nearly everyone you've seen? So like your group of 3 friends or something? Most EVERYONE, was saying that Dual Strike was better.

izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts

Tough choice but I would have to go with Days of Ruins since I like the dark atmosphere and the ability to mount your Co onto any vehicle, which has more strategy. I do miss the old catchy themes from Dual Strike though.

dorkvoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dorkvoid
Member since 2010 • 90 Posts
I think that in the end it goes to personal preference and experience. For me, a person who generally doesn't get big into any for of strategy I liked the original on the GBA and the Dual Strike on the DS, these 2 are far easier and more user friendly. 2 and Days of ruins seem to be for the more experienced strategy fans and far harder. There is also a darker tone in both of the later games. If you played the GBA versions and preferred the first I'd say for for the first DS one and same thing if you prefer the second GBA.
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

DANG 50-50.

anyway, i like Dual Strike, but there both awesome games.

SolemnJedi79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolemnJedi79
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
Hrm, I much preferred Days of Ruin, for a few simple reasons, the darker tone. The stoiry was actually dark and in depth, the characters felt more alive and dependable. Dual Strike was too much like the 2 GBA games, played one played em all, but Days of Ruin changed that for me.
Darthschneider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darthschneider
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts
I highly prefer Dual Strike, the game did look like another GBA game, but the art was a little more vivid, it had lot of replay value, and even though it was a strategy game it added the CO powers which were actually pretty good, it was fun to see CO combos change the tide of the battle, DoR was pretty good too but I felt it lacked a little more fun which Dual Strike had, the only problem with DS is the lack of wifi otherwise it would've been nearly perfect. My vote goes for Dual Strike
oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

Dual strike although both were good games. Dual strike just had so much more content than Days of ruin, it felt like a step back when I played Days of ruin, because of the lack of hard campaign, war room etc. Also liked the lighter tone a lot more, the series was better when it wasn't taking itself too seriously.

Only thing that I can say is much better in Days of ruin than in Dual strike is that there are no tag teams, but apart from that IMO dual strike is much better.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I like Days of Ruin. I do not have Dual Strike yet.
CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
I played both but not too much of them. I can't seem to get into Advance Wars like I do with Fire Emblem, etc. But Days of Ruin's story was better imo.
Darthschneider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darthschneider
Member since 2008 • 257 Posts
I like Days of Ruin. I do not have Dual Strike yet.DeafNYCPlayer
You should get Dual Strike. See the epicness
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
Day of Ruin. For a few reasons.

One: The story is darker, sure it still isn't anything amazing or anything, but at least it doesn't feel like school kids on a playground like Dual Strike.

Two: There is less emphasis on huge swings during the game by use of the CO powers. Sure they are still there, but they are harder to get powered up. It made it more strategic than quick pushes one way or the other.
Francision69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 Francision69
Member since 2007 • 1763 Posts
I like Dual Strike more since it has more CO's to choose from and it had a much light hearted atmosphere. You can even change the CO's costumes if you reach 10 ranks. Also the music in Dual Strike sounded better IMO since each theme sounded unique and different unlike Days of Ruin which is all pretty much rock.
midisurfmind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 midisurfmind
Member since 2003 • 503 Posts

I've got both, but I like Dual Strike far more than Dark Conflict (/Days of Ruin) as it is much more accessible - I completed the original but found the sequel much more difficult. I also didn't like the changes they made to the vehicles. I wasn't exactly a huge fan of the story in the original, but I remember having to go through reams and reams of incredibly boring story in Days of Ruin. I do often like stuff with a darker storyline to it, but definitely not in this case.

Days of Ruin has an online mode, but unless you can convince your mates to get the game and play online with you it might be hard to actually complete a match as when I tried everyone just disconnected once it was clear they were likely to lose.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Dual Strike by far. Days of Ruin doesn't even feel like an Advance Wars game. The tone is changed, the flow of battles is changed, and it all comes across like a grade schooler's fanfic of some lame anime you've never heard of converted to game format. Even the graphics are spectacular ass given the awful way they tried to scale them to give them a grittier feel. Advance Wars has always been lighthearted, silly, and featuring big CO powers and lots of COs. Take that out and you get the basic structure of the gameplay but none of the soul.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Dual Strike by far. Days of Ruin doesn't even feel like an Advance Wars game. The tone is changed, the flow of battles is changed, and it all comes across like a grade schooler's fanfic of some lame anime you've never heard of converted to game format. Even the graphics are spectacular ass given the awful way they tried to scale them to give them a grittier feel. Advance Wars has always been lighthearted, silly, and featuring big CO powers and lots of COs. Take that out and you get the basic structure of the gameplay but none of the soul.

So in otherwords, if you liked the gameplay of Advance Wars, but would rather have something that wasn't a lighthearted, silly, CO power fest, then get DoR.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#27 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
So in otherwords, if you liked the gameplay of Advance Wars, but would rather have something that wasn't a lighthearted, silly, CO power fest, then get DoR.raahsnavj
Yes. If you want a slice of emo in your Advance Wars, Days of Ruin is where it's at. Just make sure to skip the story, as it's even more boring than the characters.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
it depends, if you want single player then year dual strike, much better balancing, but for multiplayer days of ruin is the obvious choice
lewispetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lewispetty
Member since 2009 • 417 Posts

days of ruin