About to pull the trigger on a switch...

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

Is there any reason I should hold off, such as, for example, a price drop, a newer version, a bigger capacity etc. ?

Or should I just make it rain now and get the goods without wasting a second more?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i don't think any new hardware will come out this year. as for capacity. switch uses micro SD cards. capacity is up to you. i mean there could be a 50$ price drop this holiday.

i still believe nintendo will release an upgraded dock one day. they already have the patent for the supplemental computing device. just like x1/ps4 had mid gen upgrades i believe the switch will get a power increase via a new dock with a chip in it. however, will that happen this year? i doubt it.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Nintendo does not need to drop the price in the near future and I'd suspect full price will be around for a while.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

If the system has games you want, ye go get it :) A price drop is unlikely since Christmas past and they resisted the urge to do so. Do I think it's an amazing console? Sure is ;)

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bfa1509

Great thanks guys! I usually get consoles as soon as they come out, so I am usually never afraid of a better version being released down the line.

I always feel sorry for those people who buy a console and then there is a massive price drop the next day or a new version that fixes certain things gets announced.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

@bfa1509 said:

Great thanks guys! I usually get consoles as soon as they come out, so I am usually never afraid of a better version being released down the line.

I always feel sorry for those people who buy a console and then there is a massive price drop the next day or a new version that fixes certain things gets announced.

I'm still salty my 3DS screen size is much smaller than the XL versions, lol

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I think the next revision or price drop is at the end of the year minimum (my actual guess is 2019). So if you're willing to wait that long, then maybe. But it's risky and maybe a waste of time.

I personally would recommend just waiting until the rumoured January Nintendo Direct and making your decision after that.

Imerzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Imerzion
Member since 2016 • 11 Posts

I'd definitely recommend it, I picked mine up late November and I'm in love with the console, it's fantastic. It could do with a few 'minor' improvements, an eShop upgrade would be fantastic and added support for multiplayer gaming / parties (not a big deal for me as of yet as I tend to stick to single player).

But otherwise, great console, fast, fluid, great visuals, I can't see Nintendo releasing a new version within the next year, as others have said, it's not even been released a year yet. But you could wait for Nintendo Direct, just to be safe.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#9 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@bfa1509 said:

Is there any reason I should hold off, such as, for example, a price drop, a newer version, a bigger capacity etc. ?

Or should I just make it rain now and get the goods without wasting a second more?

Go to Nintendo.com, take a look at what games are currently available. A few title catches your fancy, then it is likely worth purchasing.

Do you take the bus / train / metro? If so, and you were looking for an handheld to occupy that time, It really does the trick. It looks big, but it's not heavy and feels good in your hands.

I bought it about 3 weeks back. I got Breath of the Wild, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Blossom Tale and Golf Story. Having a blast so far.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bfa1509

@lucidique said:
@bfa1509 said:

Go to Nintendo.com, take a look at what games are currently available. A few title catches your fancy, then it is likely worth purchasing.

Do you take the bus / train / metro? If so, and you were looking for an handheld to occupy that time, It really does the trick. It looks big, but it's not heavy and feels good in your hands.

I bought it about 3 weeks back. I got Breath of the Wild, Mighty Gunvolt Burst, Blossom Tale and Golf Story. Having a blast so far.

I have already bought Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey so I am completely committed on getting one. However, I haven't really followed the reaction or criticism of the Switch or the plan for upgrades, so I wasn't sure whether I should buy and have it lying there until I'm ready or to hold off.

@trugs26 said:

I think the next revision or price drop is at the end of the year minimum (my actual guess is 2019). So if you're willing to wait that long, then maybe. But it's risky and maybe a waste of time.

I personally would recommend just waiting until the rumoured January Nintendo Direct and making your decision after that.

Everyone keeps mentioning this "Nintendo Direct" thing. What is this exactly? From looking online some speculators think it may be a pokemon RPG of sorts.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

Get it!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@bfa1509 said:
@trugs26 said:

Everyone keeps mentioning this "Nintendo Direct" thing. What is this exactly? From looking online some speculators think it may be a pokemon RPG of sorts.

Nintendo Direct is just a pre-recorded video (aired live) that Nintendo makes to announce games or to reveal more info on previously revealed games (or other Nintendo related announcement, like amiibo or online services). Sometimes they do ones that are focused on one game (e.g recently they did one all about Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and another on Animal Crossing Pocket Camp).

They're usually around 30-40 minutes long. They usually do a few of them a year. And Nintendo usually only announce that a Nintendo Direct is coming shortly before they release it (e.g a week beforehand). In this case, it's rumoured to come out, like, now-ish, and they haven't even announced it yet! (Nintendo of America on Twitter is currently trolling us with cryptic posts).

Here's an archive of old Nintendo Directs:
https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/

They will usually play the live version on that website too.

So the next rumoured Direct should be a general one that announces or talks about a variety of games (e.g confirming release dates).

So as I mentioned before, a Nintendo Direct *may* be a play where they announce a price drop. Highly unlikely though.

Rovelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Rovelius
Member since 2006 • 3252 Posts

@bfa1509: Nintendo Direct is like a series of mini-E3s for Nintendo games.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bfa1509

Ok, I just watched Nintendo Direct for the very first time. They announced that my all time favorite game: Darks Souls will be released on the Switch. If this isn't a sign...