Wind Waker HD Remake doesn't look HD

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -

I'm wondering if anyone else believes this aswell. I think Nintendo has confused HD with putting a misty glare over everything.

#2 Posted by Jaysonguy (37973 posts) -

I think you're confused about what HD means

#3 Posted by TxTech1923 (662 posts) -

I'm wondering if anyone else believes this aswell. I think Nintendo has confused HD with putting a misty glare over everything.

CongressManStan
I think you're confusing resolution with bloom lighting.
#4 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -
[QUOTE="CongressManStan"]

TxTech1923

Is that not what I just said about what Nintendo is confused about?
#5 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"][QUOTE="CongressManStan"]

CongressManStan

Is that not what I just said about what Nintendo is confused about?

game's in 1080p, it's HD even if it was using pixel art.
#6 Posted by darkmark91 (2912 posts) -

Yeah, I agree. It doesn't look all that much sharper. :|

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -

darkmark91

It's not going to look all that much sharper due to the artstyle of the game.

#8 Posted by superbuuman (3185 posts) -
Its the art style *beaten to it*.. :P
#9 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
It's because of the art style, but the game rocks still.
#10 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -

[QUOTE="darkmark91"]

Toxic-Seahorse

You're telling me they couldn't have made this image sharper? They could have expanded on detailed environments and hell, look at the belt buckle, it's not even that round.

wind-waker-hd-remake-wii-u-gameplay-scre

#11 Posted by fool_man_dude (1080 posts) -

Same drab textures and blocky objects, but boy, they sure are clear!

#12 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="darkmark91"]

CongressManStan

You're telling me they couldn't have made this image sharper? They could have expanded on detailed environments and hell, look at the belt buckle, it's not even that round.

wind-waker-hd-remake-wii-u-gameplay-scre

:lol: You give me an intentionally blurred screenshot and expect me to believe it's a real screen shot? Here's a tip, next time you intentionally blur a screenshot, don't blur the Wii U logo! You can simply look up any other screenshot to see that that one is bullsh*t.

#13 Posted by superbuuman (3185 posts) -

http://au.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker/HD_Screenshot_Comparison
Maybe this will help, there is a noticeable improvements from GameCube version. :)

#14 Posted by KBFloYd (14594 posts) -

lol no wwHD looks freakin sweet.

#15 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

http://au.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker/HD_Screenshot_Comparison
Maybe this will help, there is a noticeable improvements from GameCube version. :)

superbuuman
the game they presented looks better than what they've shown earlier in the year. and seeing it in motion was :o
#16 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

People are posting old screenshots.

Zelda-Wind-Waker-HD-1.jpg

The game looks sharp and beautiful. 

The lighting makes it seem more like you're out on the open sea.

#17 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

I still think the impovments would be a lot more noticable if the remade Majora's.

#18 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
I saw it in person at Best Buy. It looks gorgeous.
#19 Posted by simomate (1875 posts) -

The thing that really bugs me is the lightening. They ought to tone it down just
 a little

#20 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

The thing that really bugs me is the lightening. They ought to tone it down just
 a little

simomate

They made it like that because they wanted it to appear that Link is actually feeling the sunshine so it is like that so you feel you're on the open ocean with the sun in your face.

#21 Posted by Garydbz25 (157 posts) -

I couldn't care less if it looks that much better or not. The fact is we're getting wind waker for the Wii U with some improved features and gameplay on the gamepad!

#22 Posted by JordanElek (18073 posts) -

CongressManStan

That's a screenshot from the pre-production version of the game. Aunoma explicitly said in that Nintendo Direct that they were just playing around with the concept art from Wind Waker to test the WiiU's capability and came up with those screenshots.

The final version of the game that we've seen this week looks very different.

Watch this, then watch this. If you still think the remake doesn't look HD, then... I don't know. You do know that high def refers to pixel density, not the shape of the polygons, right?

#23 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
If possible, look at the trailer in your Wii U directly. It looks great. I still have the GC version and can play it on my Wii and, even with composite cables, the difference is enormous!
#24 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Can you play the whole game on the Gamepad?
#25 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4318 posts) -
Can you play the whole game on the Gamepad?Rod90
I'm pretty sure the developer said it was entirely playable on the gamepad. I could be wrong though.
#26 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"]Can you play the whole game on the Gamepad?Toxic-Seahorse
I'm pretty sure the developer said it was entirely playable on the gamepad. I could be wrong though.

Yes it is entirely playable on the Gamepad alone.

#27 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

Meinhard1

hhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnng..

#28 Posted by Infinite_Access (2482 posts) -

I just hope they get rid the the blur that was beyond 20 yards. I hated trying to look into the distance. 

#29 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I just hope they get rid the the blur that was beyond 20 yards. I hated trying to look into the distance. 

Infinite_Access

They did get rid of it; The reason it had that was because they couldn't load the whole map at once on the GCN.

#30 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1115 posts) -

watch the E3 trailer on the Wii U Eshop on an HDTV then tell me it doesnt look HD!

#31 Posted by CongressManStan (918 posts) -

watch the E3 trailer on the Wii U Eshop on an HDTV then tell me it doesnt look HD!

JuanGrande386
You can call me blind, but I hardly see a difference. I was expecting a difference similar to the N64 to 3DS Ocarina of Time where there was more detail added into the environment. Wind Waker HD doesn't look like there that much of a difference. I have the original WindWaker and have beaten it several time and I think it looks good, and of course the WindWaker HD looks a little cleaner, but there is no added detail into the environment besides a few clouds in the sky. The sailing looking IDENTICAL to what it did in the GC version. There are so many solid colors in the game, I feel like they would have chosen to add more detail to things such as the water and other environments. Windfall Island and Outlook Island appear to use the same texture patches.
#32 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

a little

simomate
Maybe they should add some REAL LIGHTENING! Sorry, couldn't resist. :P
#33 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

CongressManStan
You can call me blind, but I hardly see a difference. I was expecting a difference similar to the N64 to 3DS Ocarina of Time where there was more detail added into the environment. Wind Waker HD doesn't look like there that much of a difference. I have the original WindWaker and have beaten it several time and I think it looks good, and of course the WindWaker HD looks a little cleaner, but there is no added detail into the environment besides a few clouds in the sky. The sailing looking IDENTICAL to what it did in the GC version. There are so many solid colors in the game, I feel like they would have chosen to add more detail to things such as the water and other environments. Windfall Island and Outlook Island appear to use the same texture patches.

before, i didn't think you knew what HD meant. now i don't think you know what art direction means.
#34 Posted by scampjot (21 posts) -
Comparison between the two. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXZTIKMWsag&hd=1 Big difference.
#35 Posted by JordanElek (18073 posts) -

[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

CongressManStan

None of that has anything to do with picture quality. It could use five polygons for Link and three colors in the whole game and it would still be HD if the resolution is high enough.

But now I know what you mean, at least. They didn't do much to change the art style. The intent from the beginning was to have a lot of solid colors and hard lines. That's what makes it look like a cartoon. A lot of people were really disappointed in the original screenshots for the remake because the characters were too shiny and looked more like toys instead of cartoons. I think the final product looks awesome.

#36 Posted by zeroyaoi (1972 posts) -

Meinhard1
Beautiful. :D
#37 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

I think you're confused about what HD means

Jaysonguy
lol
#38 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Such a beautiful looking game.

#39 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1416 posts) -

I still think the impovments would be a lot more noticable if the remade Majora's.conkertheking1

No duh, and N64 game going HD would a bigger jump and more noticeable then a Gamecube game...

#40 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

You need to see them side by side.  Nothing is going to look as good as your MEMORY of the game :P

(Credit to Zeldainformer [link], compairing Wii U version to original running on dolphin 720p)

1371056766.jpg

?ACT=28&f=wwaryllcomparison__large.png&f

?ACT=28&f=wwcomparisonhelmarocking__larg

?ACT=28&f=wwcomparisonwindfallisland__la

#41 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

One thing that comes to mind when looking at the screenshots of the original game is how it has not aged one tiny bit.

When it comes to visuals, its timelessness is pretty much unparalleled. It's just mind-blowing to think it came out a decade ago.

#42 Posted by MrDziekuje (7730 posts) -

As beautiful as the original Windwaker looked, play it through your Gamecube with the regular cables on a 1080p TV, and then come back and tell us this remake doesn't look HD.

#43 Posted by Jaysonguy (37973 posts) -

As beautiful as the original Windwaker looked, play it through your Gamecube with the regular cables on a 1080p TV, and then come back and tell us this remake doesn't look HD.

MrDziekuje

Well anyone using composite cables on a HD screen is an idiot, I'm not sure why you'd even suggest that.....

#44 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

One thing that comes to mind when looking at the screenshots of the original game is how it has not aged one tiny bit.

When it comes to visuals, its timelessness is pretty much unparalleled. It's just mind-blowing to think it came out a decade ago.

Pierst179
well the problem is that the format used to run wind waker isn't really supported in current TVs, so it looks pretty blurry, even if you use 4:3.
#45 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
Maybe I'm just nuts, but I like the HD-ified version of WW than the Wii U version. That lighting is just awful.
#46 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

Maybe I'm just nuts, but I like the HD-ified version of WW than the Wii U version. That lighting is just awful.LongZhiZi

Maybe :P

Ha!  Seriously, though, the game does look different with these new changes--it's not a strict upgrade / remaster, it looks different.  There's certainly room for personal prefferance.  

Reposting a couple of images from before -- the color scheme is lighter and the overall style looks less like a cartoon.

1371056766.jpg

?ACT=28&f=wwaryllcomparison__large.png&f

#47 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

Yeah, I like the bolder colors and cartoony-er look of the original. It's not that the HD version is bad (except for that bloom...just awful), I just liked the cartoon look of it and feel like it's being a bit lost.

I'd get a Wii U and the remaster if they actually allowed me to use standard aiming controls instead of inverted.

#48 Posted by zeroyaoi (1972 posts) -
I actually love how bright it is. I think they made the right choice.
#49 Posted by nini200 (10387 posts) -
Seeing as how I didn't play the original, I'm getting this one to see what the hype was about. No I'm not that big of a Zelda Fan but I did like TP quite a bit (until my dumb future bro in law ruined the rest of the game for me and I was at the part where you gotta move the rock guy out the way so it was just getting REALLY good) so I'm going to try to get into the series more.
#50 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pierst179"]

BrunoBRS

well the problem is that the format used to run wind waker isn't really supported in current TVs, so it looks pretty blurry, even if you use 4:3.

Oh well, I had never tried it.

Still, it remains quite a visual achievement.