What's the best 3DS game for me? (opinions included)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebigblackcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By thebigblackcat
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey everyone! Today I need to decide what game to buy for my 3DS (otherwise I won't have any money left). I've played a couple of demos including Bravely Default, Fire Emblem Awakening, Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and so on.

I'm a long-term pokémon fan that's knowlegable about the game (even when it comes to competitive battling). But when I played pokémon X, I was bored and didn't even finish the game. I thought that the story was non-existent (well, not literally but it was cheesy, cliché and just basic). I loved Sapphire as a child though, but it has its negatives as well. I already know about the Hoenn region! There's nothing new for me to explore, and therefore, I'm unsure if I should purchase the game. Kyogre is my favourite legendary and Mudkip is my favourite pokémon though :(

The Fire Emblem Awakening demo was.. alright. The story didn't "suck me in", it seemed more like a cliché than anything (but once again, I only played the demo and therefore, I can't judge the game too harshly -- especially since it's just the beginning of the game). Gameplay-wise, it's fine; nothing seems totally new (even though I've never played any RPG game except pokémon). I've heard A LOT of good things about the game though.. Idk.

Finally, I'm also thinking of Bravely Default. I like the combat-system with the brave and default actions, and the job-system seems "alright". The character-interaction is also okay, even though it can be a bit cheesy sometimes. What I'm scared of is the fact that -- in the later chapters -- spoiler: you need to fight the same bosses FOUR TIMES!. Therefore, I'm really unsure about the game -- especially when I compare the game to other great games such as Pkmn AS and FE:A.

So that just about wraps up my opinions on several games. I've tried to be as specific as I can so you can try to guide me (at least a little bit). I already know about games like Kirby Triple Delux, Donkey Kong Returns, Shovel Knight, Kid Icarus Uprising, LoZ: ALBW (already have the game) and so on, but I'm looking for a more "story-driven game". But hey, if you want to recommend other games, please do! All posts are appreciated and please don't be afraid to recommend games according to your own honest opinions.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Majora's Mask was just released and God is it amazing. The story is excellent.

But there are also the Zero Escape games which are pretty much pure story and they're also great (Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward).

Of the three you mentioned I liked Bravely Default the most because of the battle system. I also found the story to be surprisingly engaging even though it's basically FF 1- 3, albeit a little more fleshed out. Let me put it this way: By the end, I cared about the characters and was drawn in by the lore. Fire Emblem is a great game, but the story isn't so great, not to me at least. Honestly, the battle system of BD is enough to carry it through to the end in my eyes and it will last you a long time. Like I said, the story is surprisingly well done so of those three, from a story standpoint, I'd recommend it the most.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

If you liked the Phoenix Wright: DD demo, you'll likely enjoy the full game. The original remastered Phoenix Wright trilogy is also available on the eShop if you haven't already played them.

I enjoyed the story of Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers, which was originally released for the Sega Saturn in 1997 but has only been localised two years ago on the 3DS. It plays like a 1st-person dungeon crawler and has a bit of a learning curve but I found it to be pretty fun. The characters are also likeable as well (more so than SMT IV imo). It usually goes on sale on the eShop so you can get it for pretty cheap too.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is a game i dont see get much praise but it should its good, and its cheap so bonus

thebigblackcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thebigblackcat

Oh, I'm so sorry that I didn't respond faster than I did.

@turtlethetaffer: I've heard great things about Majoras Mask and the Zero Escape games so thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably pick up Majoras Mask before OOT to be honest, it seems like such a different game (about the whole theme and all) so that I would enjoy it. I'm most thankful for the comment about Bravely Default though, because I do as well love the atmosphere of the places and the soundtrack and the battle system -- it's all great! It's a shame about the repetitive part, but I'm sure that I'll pick up the game. How much time does it take to be done with the later chapters if you skip the side quests and turn off the random encounters? I've heard that people can do it in less than three hours, which sounds kinda unrealistic since people are complaining so much about it..

@Raptor_Herc: I did enjoy the demo, more than other games actually. I also recently found out that the trilogy is on the eShop so I'll definitely download it sometime seing as people seem to like those games the best out of the series!

As for Shin Megami Tensai and the Tom Clansy games, they seem alright but there are other games I'd like to try first.

Edit: Thread's done.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@thebigblackcat: If you charge through the final chapters (which I did eventually) it should take you only a few hours since there are four dungeons and four bosses each time. Although beware the last job you can get is in chapter 6 so don't miss it! And the reason people are complaining a lot is more because it's simply redundant. It's just annoying. But like I said the battle system is good enough that it's worth seeing through to the end (plus the true final boss is great). Apart from the last job, the only side quests in the final chapters are battling all the side quest bosses again, but this time in groups instead of individually. They're pretty tough, but they're only there for completion's sake as well as bragging rights. And turning off random encounters will definitely help, but remember that you need to make sure all your jobs are up to date with skills.

Also, you are right in saying Majora's Mask is very different. Even though it's technically a direct sequel to OoT, you can play MM before and appreciate everything in it, you just might miss out on a few references here and there. Also, it's my all time favorite game, so there's a bit more praise for you :P And this is after repplaying it and doing everything last week.

thebigblackcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thebigblackcat

@turtlethetaffer: Alright, thanks for being honest about Bravely Default. I'll pick up both Majora's Mask and Bravely Default at some point since they seem pretty awesome.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

@thebigblackcat: You won't be disappointed, I think. Happy to help! Feel free to ask for more recommendations.

Actually I just remembered another really good one. Shin Megami Tensei IV. It's like an M rated, more strategic Pokemon. You collect and battle with monsters but the world, story and mood is much much darker. The story isn't amazing but it has some cool concepts and ideas plus building a team is tons of fun. I'd check it out after those two :)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

majoars mask 3d has a decent story.....more than ocarina of time...thats for sure.

xenoblade chronicles 3D comes out in april and has a great story too.