The OT Lounge: Nintendo Seal of Quality.. of Life... Edition

#1151 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

Wowowow...5 weeks after launch...the new Wolfenstein game gets cut in half. That's the fastest I've ever seen a game get a 50% price cut on a special sale.

I'll wait til next year when it's $5.

#1152 Edited by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

Wowowow...5 weeks after launch...the new Wolfenstein game gets cut in half. That's the fastest I've ever seen a game get a 50% price cut on a special sale.

I'll wait til next year when it's $5.

lol, that was EXACTLY my thought process when I saw that, too.

I bought Gone Home yesterday and played through it today. I wasn't sure if it would actually be good or if people in the games media only liked it because it has socially progressive elements.... Turns out, it's actually good.

Not nearly as good as Brothers, but it tells a story in a uniquely video-game way, just like Brothers does.

#1153 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

I've gone from "Gaming Drought" to "I can't decide what to play, they're all so good!" in the span of a few days

#1154 Posted by zeroyaoi (1882 posts) -

@moltenix: Resident Evil 4 is an amazing game. Finished it a million times. :P

#1155 Posted by moltenix (2483 posts) -

@zeroyaoi said:

I've also played it a lot, the Wii version to be exact. I don't think i've ever replayed ANY other game that many times.

#1156 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@moltenix said:

@zeroyaoi said:

I've also played it a lot, the Wii version to be exact. I don't think i've ever replayed ANY other game that many times.

Metroid Prime holds that record for me, barring some NES games that I had to play over and over because I had all the time in the world and limited games.

Resident Evil 4 was good, but those games stress me out and it came out at a bad time for me. I wonder if I'd like it more if I went back to it now.

#1157 Edited by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

Recap of my 3rd steam summer sale:

• Torchlight
  • Torchlight 2
  • Far cry 3
  • Bulletstorm
  • Assassin's Creed 3
  • Batman Arkham Origins
  • Final Fantasy 8
  • Metro Last Light
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Skyrim
  • Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning
  • Borderlands 2
  • Splinter cell Blacklist
  • Dishonored
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Mafia 2
  • Injustice Gods Among Us

17 games under $100, and this isn't including the backlog of games I already have before this sale (Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect Trilogy, Oblivion, 3 GTA games, Final Fantasy 7, etc)

Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze alone would cost more than all those on that list combined.

This is why I can't go back to Nintendo console gaming for at least right now and frankly looks like the next at least 3-4 years.

#1158 Posted by zeroyaoi (1882 posts) -

@moltenix: That's my favorite version. Motion controls were executed perfectly. It's been years since I last played it, but I still remember everything about the game.

#1159 Edited by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

I'm 45 coins away from platinum status on Club Nintendo and tomorrow is the deadline. I don't have any surveys left... :(

I usually get the calendar, anyway, which has always been a gold reward. With my luck, this year the platinum rewards will actually be worth having.

#1160 Edited by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

Cena again!?

Gimme a $%^!&&%(*& break!! RAGE!

#1161 Posted by fishpockets (115 posts) -

Happy Canada Day! 147 years old. I love my country, hate our Mayor and hate our Prime Minister but that's okay!

#1162 Posted by starwarsjunky (24723 posts) -

Happy Canada Day! 147 years old. I love my country, hate our Mayor and hate our Prime Minister but that's okay!

thats cute :3

#1163 Posted by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

Well while y'all are off buying shiny new games, I'm polishing off my old ones :P working on killing Avalanche Abassy in Xenoblade (only content from it I have not yet completed) and have pretty much reached god status in terraria, with all the best weapons and armor in the game :P

#1164 Edited by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@ttualumni13: Nice! I'm still enjoying Mario Karts 7 &8. I'm also chipping away at NSMBU and Links Awakening. I actually fired up Xenoblade this past weekend, it's been awhile and I just got the itch to jump back into my file where I just completed Prison Island.

#1165 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

HOW DID I NOT KNOW WHAT THE DIGITAL PROMOTION WAS?!?

I was listening to the RFN Podcast and they mentioned this promotion that I somehow was unaware of. Good thing I was listening, I have a $5 code to redeem and I'm close to another! I love free money!

#1166 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@roboccs: How DID you not know about that? lol

That's one of the reasons I haven't bought a disc for my WiiU since launch. I've earned $65.

I wasn't sure if the free download with Mario Kart 8 would count, but it did. So now I have $10 waiting for me.

Hopefully Nintendo extends the deal. It expires at the end of this year. HOPEFULLY they not only extend the time but also extend the deal to the 3DS as well, now that accounts are unified.

#1167 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@JordanElek: LOL! Seriously! I can be such a boob sometimes! It's awesome that they gave us the money for the free mk8 DL.

Anyone have any big plans for the long weekend?

#1168 Posted by fishpockets (115 posts) -

I like Shovel Knight.

I am pleased.

#1169 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

4th of July baby! Wooooo! :D

...............................................................................................................I have no plans :(

#1170 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

So I booted up GTA Vice City for the 1st time.

2 hours in and it's looking better than GTA 3 in every way. (pardon the 2003 vibe). Better soundtrack, graphics, vehicle, detail, and I'm assuming mission variety, just better all around. And I LOVE that there is a legend on the freekin map of weapons and other things like clothes and "tools." And bikes can be used too. If your health is down to zero, a cab will take straight to the last objective on the map instantly.

But the one thing I have to complain about is those miniature helicopter controls suuuuuuck. IIt was clearly designed for dual analog in mind. The layout on the keyboard is ridiculous. I don't know how I'll configure to where it could actually be comfortable, or controllable for the matter. I spent over 30 minutes just on that one with bringing bombs to demo a building under construction.

#1171 Posted by zeroyaoi (1882 posts) -

@wiifan001: Vice city has an amazing soundtrack.

#1172 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@zeroyaoi said:

@wiifan001: Vice city has an amazing soundtrack.

It's an amazing game period. Plus it came out at a perfect time for me, when I had hours to kill after school when I wasn't working. The compass in the corner of that game is still burned into the TV in my parents' basement. Actually, I think it was already burned in at that point thanks to GTA3.

@wiifan001: Just get a controller for your PC. If you have bluetooth, I think both the PS4 and Xbone controllers work. I don't remember if you have a 360, but you can get an adapter for that for cheap. That's what I use and it's perfect.

#1173 Posted by fishpockets (115 posts) -

Happy America day to all you American duders here.

#1174 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@fishpockets: Thanks fellow brother to the north!

So I have a beef with the WiiU quick start... It makes it less convenient to get directly to wii mode without having the tv on to point the wiimote at it and pick gamepad or tv display... It's a minor gripe but for someone who still plays the wii a bit, if I want to off tv play I need to switch to that input on my tv first unless I blindly aim the wiimote at it and hopefully select the right option...

#1175 Edited by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

Several hours later, and I'm not enjoying Vice City either.

Flip! I have San Andreas and IV to go after this. I am not enjoying the GTA series so far. I'm rolling my eyes the vast majority of missions on some, few glitches which have caused me to start over. Now apparently you have to buy these assets in order to unlock more missions but the game doesn't tell you that and where you have to buy isn't displayed on the freekin map, there's no legend to show you where to buy.

I was out of missions to play but apparently you HAVE to buy the assets.

When does GTA get really good? What game?

#1176 Edited by Jaysonguy (37532 posts) -

Flip! I have San Andreas and IV to go after this. I am not enjoying the GTA series so far. I'm rolling my eyes the vast majority of missions on some, few glitches which have caused me to start over. Now apparently you have to buy these assets in order to unlock more missions but the game doesn't tell you that and where you have to buy isn't displayed on the freekin map, there's no legend to show you where to buy.

You're playing the worst versions of the GTA series, go get the console versions

#1177 Edited by fishpockets (115 posts) -

@wiifan001 said:

The GTA games suck. I fell into that trap a number of times. I bought GTAIII, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTAIV and I ended up hating all of them after a little bit. I haven't bought GTAV and I have no desire to do so.

The missions get repetitive really quickly and I don't care much for the stories in any of them.

#1178 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

The GTA games suck. I fell into that trap a number of times. I bought GTAIII, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTAIV and I ended up hating all of them after a little bit. I haven't bought GTAV and I have no desire to do so.

The missions get repetitive really quickly and I don't care much for the stories in any of them.

That's because you played them when you liked to rush through games. The GTA games, at least the PS2 ones, were designed as true sandbox games. The best way to play them is to find your own fun. For me, the missions were just an obstacle to overcome to open up more of the game to play in.

I don't remember the stories or any of the missions (except something about a helicopter near the end of one of them), but I remember Liberty City and Vice City, I remember the music, I remember the voices on the radio and still quote them occasionally.

Maybe those games are hard to go back to, but they were great at the time.

#1179 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

I've never played a GTA believe it or not... I've always been tempted to because of the universal love for them but never pulled the trigger. I like open worlds so I could see me losing myself in the games. Honestly though, it's been this long so I can't see myself jumping in now unless I hit a real gaming lull...

#1180 Edited by fishpockets (115 posts) -

@fishpockets said:

That's because you played them when you liked to rush through games. The GTA games, at least the PS2 ones, were designed as true sandbox games. The best way to play them is to find your own fun. For me, the missions were just an obstacle to overcome to open up more of the game to play in.

I don't remember the stories or any of the missions (except something about a helicopter near the end of one of them), but I remember Liberty City and Vice City, I remember the music, I remember the voices on the radio and still quote them occasionally.

Maybe those games are hard to go back to, but they were great at the time.

That's true, but for me I got bored of the open world stuff so quickly and it all felt the same, until GTAIV.

#1181 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

Where do you guys draw the line on what's considered open world? I assume GTA is because you can go anywhere and do whatever you want... Elder Scrolls is in the same vain I guess. So I assume a game like Xenoblade Chronicles is as well since there are very few limitations on where you can go and when? What about the Mass Effect series? There's not a huge map to roam but you pick whatever plant you want and then each one is linear... But you do have choice. There's a lot of freedom in the original NES Zelda as well so is that open world? Kind of interesting to see where people draw the line.

#1182 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

@wiifan001 said:

You're playing the worst versions of the GTA series, go get the console versions

I don't have anything but the pc and Nintendo platforms so GTA on consoles is kind of not an option for me at this time, unfortunately. I'm almost done with Vice City, should be able to finish probably by tomorrow, if not today.

L.A Noire was a clearly a bad port of a fantastic game, and the GTA3 and Vice City were clearly for the PS2 in mind.

Sucks that GTA5 wlil also be a bad port.

#1183 Posted by fishpockets (115 posts) -

@roboccs: For me as long as I can go anywhere that I see in that world I consider that open world. Mass Effect is actually a weird example, because like you said when you choose a planet it's pretty linear... so I don't know if I'd consider that open world.

#1184 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

I've complained enough about Vice City. Time to complain about Battlefield 4.

I've had a bug where the level doesn't fully load, so I had to restart the checkpoint.
I've had a scene where I am supposed to enter a boat but I fall and drown and keep sinking where my character was 100000 meters away, restart a checkpoint.
I've had an infinite loop where two guys are supposed grab gear and we head out, but they never stop zipping and unzipping and their backpacks, so I had to restart the checkpoint.

Moving on...I had a bug where my allied tank is supposed to take down and run over some vehicles. It took several minutes to figure it out. The A.I controlled tank gets stuck for a couple minutes between the shore and the ocean and THEN drowns. Had to restart the LEVEL.

AND NOW! I just entered a wall border glitch and I can't back in and I'm trapped. Restarting the checkpoint starts me off directly outside the wall, and now I have to restart the LEVEL.

This is all within 4 hours, AND I'M NOT EVEN HALFWAY THROUGH THIS ^&#(^&*! GAME!!!

BUGS BUGS GRACE FREEKIN HOPPER BUGS!!!!!

#1185 Posted by HaziqAgha (88 posts) -

RIP fishpockets.

#1186 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

I beat Megaman. The first one. I never owned it as a kid (except for a PC version that wasn't really Megaman somehow?), and my brother got me the first three games on VC for the Wii several years ago. Haziq said something about Megaman today so I went back to it, resumed my save state from forever ago, and plowed through the final Wily stages to the end.

I was so ready to give up after dying twenty times in a row in the first half of the first Wily stage, but I kept at it, learned some tricks, and finished strong. I did cheat a bit with an old trick glitch to double the damage of a shot, but I figure most gamers did that back in the day, anyway.

If I can beat Megaman 2 and 3, I'll have finished all of them up to 8. We owned 4-7 on the NES, so I've played the crap out of those, but I'll probably buy them on VC for nostalgia's sake.

#1187 Posted by HaziqAgha (88 posts) -

I always wanted to play the older Mega Man games. Mega Man 9 was my first one, but I was so horrible at it and I never did beat it, I got to the end but it was too hard.

#1188 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@haziqagha: Thank God! That guy was a total douche! :P

#1189 Posted by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

Buggyfield 4.

Finished the campaign and I do have more stories of just how bad its campaign in since my last post but I feel I've ranted enough over games I didn't like for the past couple days.

#1190 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@JordanElek: Mega Man 3 is my favorite... The game is so fun. If you beat 1, then 2 and 3 will be a cake walk. The music in 3 is amazing too.

#1191 Edited by TTUalumni13 (461 posts) -

Hope everyone had a good weekend! We headed down the the beach Thursday and are making the long way back home this morning. Exhausted and happy haha.

#1192 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -
#1193 Posted by HaziqAgha (88 posts) -

I think I'm at the end of Shovel Knight. I only see two more areas on the map. It's a fantastic game and I'll probably go back to it after 1001 Spikes for NG+.

I can't believe that was the game that made me excited to play games again. Speaking of which, considering we've seen some last generation remakes on the new generation (Halo, Last of Us Remastered, Tomb Raider Remastered, etc). I'm kind of hoping they remake Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. Almost everyone has high regard (at least for the first game), especially Jordan from here, so I do want to play it. I have it on my Xbox 360 but it's packed away and I really have no interest in opening it up again.

If they released it on the PS4 or even the Wii U (lol) I'd get it in a heartbeat. I'm already getting The Last of Us Remastered because I never had a PS3, so I'm looking forward to that. I completely forgot that that's this month.

#1194 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

TLOU: Remasted is coming out this month?! Time to dust off the ol' PS4 xD I'll probably buy Strike Suit Zero in the meantime though.

#1195 Posted by HaziqAgha (88 posts) -

@Star0: Yeah, but towards the end of the month. July 29th.

#1196 Edited by wiifan001 (18359 posts) -

@Star0 said:

@wiifan001: lmao. Have some fruity pebbles.

I'll buy a Fruity pebbles box with Cena on the box so I could punch a freekin hole in head.

Amazing athletes get the Wheaties treatment, which Cena does not get because he doesn't deserve that.

I feel sorry for him. Yes, I do feel sorry for him...that poor Fred Flintstone.

#1197 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@roboccs said:

@JordanElek: Mega Man 3 is my favorite... The game is so fun. If you beat 1, then 2 and 3 will be a cake walk. The music in 3 is amazing too.

You were right, Megaman 2 was a cake walk. I died fewer times in the whole game than I did in the first half of the first Wily level in Megaman 1.

But I learned that Difficult mode in our version of Megaman 2 is the default (and only) mode in the Japanese version, so I probably would've had a harder time if I'd played it on Difficult. Oh well.

#1198 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@haziqagha: I am so tempted to get shovel knight... When the price drops I'll take a serious look. I have heard barely a negative about the game.

@JordanElek: I found 2 to be the easiest. 3 was a bit harder but nowhere near as bad as 1. If I'm not mistaken though, part of 1's problem was how loose the platforming was and the horrible hit detection. 2 and 3 were tightened up a lot. 2 and 3 have great music... Don't you think?

#1199 Posted by JordanElek (17733 posts) -

@roboccs: Yeah, I thought my problem in Megaman 1 was input lag since I'm playing with a wireless controller on a plasma TV, but after playing 2, I'm pretty sure the lag was just inherent in that game, and the platforming was too devious for the loose controls. Megaman 2 made huge improvements in both of those areas.

And yeah, I love Megaman music. It's basically the soundtrack of my childhood. I probably played more Megaman than Mario growing up, actually.

#1200 Posted by roboccs (6911 posts) -

@JordanElek: This is your first time on 1-3? That's crazy! 2-3 are supposedly the most popular ones. I played 4-5 but only rented them so never finished them. Got real far in 4 though. Never played 6-8. Got 9 and loved it but like Haz, I never finished it. I got to Wiley's castle but couldn't ever beat it.

They played Magnet Man's music from Mega Man 3 on the NVC Podcast recently during a break... I've had it in my head since. Also, Smooth McGroove does one of the Wiley castle themes from 2 or 3 and sounds great. All this Mega Man talk... I might listen to some soundtracks while I work tomorrow!