The 2DS is a fantastic idea.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts
As per usual, the announcement of the 2DS has the Internet haters sprinting to the comment section to express how stupid the design is. To put it simply, I worked at a Gamestop for four years before I graduated college and got a big boy job, and the number one DS issue among small children: broken hinges. Of course, the system looks stupid, but that's the beauty of childhood. You just don't care. This design was a great move by nintendo to draw in weary parents with destructive young children.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
It's targeted for younger audiences or people who want a tablet like design. No arguing there. It seems like a budget console, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. The lack of hinges is a good thing for children who would break their DS but the overall durability of the system is yet to be seen. However the naming is a bad choice. I can see parents being confused and looking for 2ds games, when games are marketed for the 3ds.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
So now they'll just destroy the screen instead when they drop it.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
Yeah if it has the same plastic screens as the 3DS I'd be worried about scratches.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
The name is awful. You don't sell a system under a different name than the games for the system are under. That's incredibly stupid.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Are parents and children really so stupid these days that they can't handle a gaming system? Shouldn't be to hard for a parent to figure out which games work or to enable parental settings. 3DS with the 3D turned off by Dad was just fine... I was able to handle having a Gameboy color and PS1 as a 4 year old and all my games for both are in great condition because I was taught to take care of my belongings.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]Are parents and children really so stupid these days that they can't handle a gaming system? Shouldn't be to hard for a parent to figure out which games work or to enable parental settings. 3DS with the 3D turned off by Dad was just fine... I was able to handle having a Gameboy color and PS1 as a 4 year old and all my games for both are in great condition because I was taught to take care of my belongings.

It's not just form factor and how-to, but price. The 2DS is quite a bit cheaper than the 3DS devices.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
I hate everything about this. *hugs OG 3ds*
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#9 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Nice to lower the price and remove pointless features. It looks terrible though.
sonofabevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonofabevo
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

I like the price point and want somethin for flights and stuff. Might pick it up

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Two words for Nintendo: Up yours. I will be furious if they stop developing 3D games because of this.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
I have to add to this thread, I have a six & a 7 year old daughter who both use my DS lite & newish 3DS. Never had any problems with them looking after the systems. I'd be more inclined to by a 3ds XL next than a 2DS. Seems like a step backward.
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Two words for Nintendo: Up yours. I will be furious if they stop developing 3D games because of this.

Euaggelistes
They won't piss off the 32 million owners.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I think it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen, but whatever. Doesn't affect me at all. I understand the reasoning behind the system, I just think it's downright hideous.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts
The name is awful. You don't sell a system under a different name than the games for the system are under. That's incredibly stupid.Toxic-Seahorse
Exactly this. I'm sure it will cause confusion with parents and non gamers/casuals.
Transfer_Point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Transfer_Point
Member since 2013 • 95 Posts

However the naming is a bad choice. I can see parents being confused and looking for 2ds games, when games are marketed for the 3ds.Soulreavercross
This, above everything else, is my biggest concern. I mean, if the Wii U caused confusion in the marketplace, there is no way this will not.

What it tells me is Nintendo should have not went with the 3D name/tech in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Called this a LONG time ago.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#18 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The sales will determine whether it is a great idea or not.

However, right now I think it will pay off nicely.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

$130 is a good entry fee for someone who hasn't picked up a 3DS yet - especially if they don't care about 3D. 

Releasing it along side Pokemon is good marketing and should guarantee some sales. I imagine those who are buying a 3DS simply for Pokemon would find te $130 tag appealing. Also great for kids if it's more durable due to removal of hinges, but Nintendo handhelds have always been sturdy for someone not attempting to break it on purpose. 

Naming it the 2DS is going to hurt it in the long run. It isn't logical to release the DS > 3DS > 2DS. That is like Sony releasing the PS6 next and the PS5 the following generation. Come on Nintendo.... that's bush league mistakes. You're suppose to be in the big leagues!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Called this a LONG time ago.Heirren
Yea I remember. :)
Release a 2DS XL, I'd grab one straight away, I like it. :)

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#21 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

The 2DS IS a fantastic idea.

Ugly design, yeah.  Kind of confusing name, yeah.  But that price point is perfect.  It cuts out the 3D (I hate 3D) which saves a good chunk of money on Nintendo's end and for the consumer as well.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

I've never been excited for handheld like this before. I defiinitley don't like fold handhelds. Looks like Ninitendo wanted a totally different design for those of us with nostalgic feeling of old handheld like the Game Boy.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#23 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

im buying one day one , i already own 2 reg 3ds and 1 3ds xl , so , why not stop supporting the better company , ,  

im not kidding you ,      and yes it is a fantastic idea i hated those hinges , i went through 4 dses and 3 dslites due to broken hinges  

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

I actually like the idea behind the 2DS. I can't see the 3D effect anyways, and I hate using parental controls just to disable it. The lack of a hinge means the 2DS will be much more durable. My current 3DS has a cracked hinge, so this is a perfect replacement.

And the $120 price is a great value.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

im buying one day one , i already own 2 reg 3ds and 1 3ds xl , so , why not stop supporting the better company , ,  

im not kidding you ,      and yes it is a fantastic idea i hated those hinges , i went through 4 dses and 3 dslites due to broken hinges  

mariokart64fan
Maybe yous hould treat your stuff better then....
ryguy64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ryguy64
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

I had been considering a 3DS, because of A Link to the Past, but was held back by price.  And I don't care about 3D.  I would probably have never used it. Now that they announce this, I may be able to get one.  Looks don't matter to me.  I would only really use it at home or on trips.  I think it is a good idea.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Zelda Phantom hourglass and Nintendogs will be broken at some points where you need to close the DS.... How will this work? Hit sleep mode lol?
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's a genius idea.

Ofcourse the name "2DS" might cause problems. But it's not like they had much of a choice, they? They couldn't refer to it as a 3DS in any way considering that there is no 3D.  

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
As per usual, the announcement of the 2DS has the Internet haters sprinting to the comment section to express how stupid the design is. To put it simply, I worked at a Gamestop for four years before I graduated college and got a big boy job, and the number one DS issue among small children: broken hinges. Of course, the system looks stupid, but that's the beauty of childhood. You just don't care. This design was a great move by nintendo to draw in weary parents with destructive young children. IMAHAPYHIPPO
I agree! However... it really p*ssess me off that it doesn't flip! Every time I look at it, I cringe, and legit... I can't stand it.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
It's a great for kids & some that don't like the 3D feature. Hopefully they'll come out with some screen protectors & carrying cases soon as the release.
Yomeidient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Yomeidient
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts

Zelda Phantom hourglass and Nintendogs will be broken at some points where you need to close the DS.... How will this work? Hit sleep mode lol?YoshiYogurt

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. That would be unfortunate to come across that while gaming.

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

The price of the 2DS is 129.99 but the 3DS 169.99 that a 40 dollar difference,I don't see it to be worth it.

Guovssohas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Guovssohas
Member since 2010 • 330 Posts
It's a good move i think, less likely to break so it suits young children much better. The 40 dollar difference is quite significant imo, you can get a 2ds AND a game for the same as a regular 3ds.
Avatar image for Lebowski__basic
Lebowski__basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lebowski__basic
Member since 2003 • 1252 Posts
My biggest complaint on the 2DS is the button placement. It looks awkward to hold, not sure why they moved the controls to the middle of the console.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Its cheap and comes out same day as pokemon... I'll pick one up for my cousin.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

The price of the 2DS is 129.99 but the 3DS 169.99 that a 40 dollar difference,I don't see it to be worth it.

MazehcS0ul

For the price of one 3DS I can buy the 2DS and Pokemon(which is what I'm going to do for a gift).

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

My biggest complaint on the 2DS is the button placement. It looks awkward to hold, not sure why they moved the controls to the middle of the console. Lebowski__basic
weight balance? when holding Im assuming...pretty sure its something they've tested..tho don't really know till hold one for myself.

Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts
Waits for 2ds XL to be announced........