Talk me out of getting a New 3DS!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

I want to start out by saying I have no allegiance to any video game manufacturer. I don't care who makes my system or what other people want to buy, and don't understand why others care either. I am a slightly older gamer so keep that in mind with this post.

I own:

• Wii
  • Wii U
  • Xbox 360
  • PS4
  • PS Vita
  • PC

I am wanting to play Xenoblade on the New 3DS, but hate to buy a new system for just one game. $260 for one title is a little much ($200 system, $40 game, $10-20 for power cord).

I am wanting to see if any older gamers here can tell me what are some good game the New 3ds will play (I know it plays regular 3ds games) in order to justify such a purchase since many of the popular Nintendo titles are not my cup of tea.

I don't like the following games, although I understand how someone could like them, and they are very popular and high rated.

1. Zelda (OoT was okay, but others I didn't like at all)
  2. Mario Kart - Not my thing. Throwing turtle shells at the guy in front of me..not my thing.
  3. Platformers - I stink at them, and they just frustrate me. This includes Mario Brothers. (yes Bros. is short for Brothers).
  4. Donkey Kong - Like better than Mario games, but still not my thing.
  5. Pokemon - Hmmm. Never played, but doesn't look fun to me.
  6. Resident Evil - Have tried on many system. Don't get the lure.
  7. Super Smash Bros. - Have for Wii. Never liked it.
  8. Final Fantasy - Only Played FFX, but it was so linear, and the guys looked and sounded like girls
  9. GTA - Don't understand why someone would like these games. I think it might just be for shock factor.
  10. Lego games - I would have loved these games at one time, but no so much any longer.

Games I have liked in the past:

1. Metroid Prime - loved this game on Wii. Controls were amazing.
  2. Batman Arkham City - Best version on the Wii U IMO. Touch controls for the inventory worked great, and never saw the slowdown people talked about.
  3. Project Gotham Racing - Xbox (original)
  4. Uncharted - Favorite franchise to date...by far
  5. Decathlon - Atari 2600 (yes..I am that old)
  6. MLB 14 the show - PS Vita
  7. Persona 4 - PS Vita. Was surprised I liked this game. Usually not my thing.
  8. Dragon Age Inquisition - PS4 - Favorite RPG of all time.
  9. Titanfall - PC - FYI....Not an exclusive Xbox people. Never understood why it is addressed that way. Can't even really call it a console exclusive with the Alien ware Machines out now.
  10. Madden 95 - Sega Genesis - Best version so far.
  11. G.R.A.W. (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) - Xbox 360 - Favorite online experience ever. Not so much on single player. That was average.
  12. Siphon Filter - PSP
  13. Killzone - Vita/PS3/PS4 (Vita and PS4 my favorite.

Genres I tend to like in order:

• RPG - Not the ones with guys that look and sound like girls :). Prefer the ones with exploration.
  • Action - Games like Uncharted, Assassins Creed.
  • FPS - Not good at them, but do like them. But must be able to use a right analog stick...usually.
  • Driving games - I liked NFS, but for the most part I like standard racing games with a track and not open world.
  • RTS - Sometimes. I liked StarCraft, but these games have become less enjoyable to me.
  • I am open to all genres except platformers though.

I am wanting to play more on a handheld system right now, and the Vita does not look supported much these days. Although I think the system gets a bad rap. So many people saying that it does not have good games. I think the system has had some of the best games on any handheld. (Uncharted, MLB the Show, God of War, Killzone, Persona 4,

I know this is a lot of information, and if the New 3DS does not fit my needs then I might just look at getting something like Freedom Wars for my Vita.

Thanks for listening and any advice.... and yes...I have done some looking online, but some of the best games are the ones that are not often talked about, and all I hear about online is Mario, Zelda, etc.

Edit: Reminder - I am an older game, so games like Animal Crossing or things that are usually for the younger crowd is not my thing. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

get a 3ds, it will be cheaper and you get to play most of the handheld games, then just get xenoblade on wii or wait for the wii u one

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44595 Posts

As soon as you buy it there's going to be better color options available for New 3DS, I'd hold out for better colors, Xenoblade Chronicles will still be there for you to play.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

No

Buy it

Buy it now

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Some other RPG games you might want to consider: Fire Emblem Awakening (and If), Bravely Default (and Bravely Second), Shin Megami Tensei 4, and possibly Monster Hunter 4 (though it doesn't really have much exploration, and isn't really much of RPG, but you might like it). Also, since you thought OoT was okay, you might want to consider the sequel to that game, which was remade on 3DS: Majora's Mask.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Why on earth would I try to "talk you out" of a New 3DS ? on the contrary, I encourage you to get one. This is very much like what has happened with other Ninty handhelds, the "old" 3DS is going out and you won´t be able to play in it the games designed for the New 3DS, it that simple, just as you can´t play 3DS games in the DSi or DS, but you can play DS games in your 3DS, it´s not like with consoles that no longer have backward compatibility, you will have the entire DS and 3DS library, so there will be plenty games plus the games of the future some of which will not be playable in the regular 3DS.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

New handheld on the way

So if you want to buy soon to be old tech have at it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@mgools: First of all, it's stupid that you're making a thread and asking us to "talk you out of" getting a 3DS. You should be able to make your own opinion, anyways. You already made a bunch of them and put them into this thread.

I also get annoying of people like you constantly putting down Final Fantasy 10. Were the male characters really THAT feminine? Hell no. I don't get why the hivemind of gamers decided that Tidus was the epitomy of a whiny mangina, but I get sick of people jumping on the hate train. He was a likable character - funny, talkative, and he had his own valid problems that he worked through during the game. He hated his father for his behavior, but came to realize that his dad was really the one who was there for him growing up. And he is an athlete. And I think most guys like you are probably just jealous because he looks handsome and isn't some ugly, balding ****.

You only like OOT from Zelda, you don't like Smash Bros.... It would be really difficult to recommend a Nintendo game to you.

Look, you just need to check out the games on the 3DS, and ask yourself if any of them look interesting to you. I'm kind of surprised that you want to play Xenoblade, considering the characters probably look 'feminine' to you. But it's probably a great game, as are many other titles on the system.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@mgools said:

Edit: Reminder - I am an older game, so games like Animal Crossing or things that are usually for the younger crowd is not my thing. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Wait wait wait, you're an older gamer but can't make decisions on your own AND think that Nintendo makes games for adults?

No, go away right now

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mgools

Thanks for the info from most of you. I did end up getting the system, but walked away with Monster Hunter instead.... Because I got it for free:). Long story. To the person who thinks it is immature to ask others specific questions about a game or gaming system...it would be less grown up to go in and do a blind purchase, or go off of online reviews only as I had specific questions, and those reviews didn't address them. For the guy who got bent out of shape on the guys looking and sounding like girls on FFX... Don't take it so personal. You like the game, and that doesn't bother you, so that is great for you and I am glad you enjoyed the game. Everyone likes different things. FF isn't for me, and the statement was meant for information, so other posters could get a better understanding of what I like as a gamer.

Later fellow gamers.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mgools

@trugs26: thanks so much for your recommendations

. I ended up with Monster Hunter 4, and downloaded the demo of Bravely Default.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#12 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@mgools: Yeah sorry, it's just a frequent point of argument a lot of people make anymore.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying MH, and hopefully you'll find some other games on the system you also like.