Should Pokemon Red & Blue get another remake?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Hey guys. So since beating ORAS, I've went back and played though Pokemon Blue and then Pokemon Fire Red. I've got to say, despite my love for the Kanto, and many times been called a "genwunner", even though gen2 is my favorite, I could not enjoy it.

I expected it with Blue, Gen 1 has aged horribly, the region design itself is good but too small, the story has a lot of potential but doesn't really use it, and the game feels so limited when you consider it only has 150 Pokemon to pick from.

However, I forgot how little that changed in the remakes. The biggest problem is they didn't add anything worthwhile, the region was a pixel for pixel conversion (with the exception of those useless islands after the 7th gym), the story also has no additions, and despite everything the game was still incredibly limited in terms of Pokemon. It was such a wasted potential.

This, coupled with the fact that ORAS has started a new timeline for the Pokemon Universe, makes me think they should remake R&B one last time. Expand the map, add new locations to make it more interesting, make places like Viridian Forest bigger and more complex. Improve upon not just Team Rocket and Giovanni's storyline, but also on Mew and Mewtwo and what exactly happened in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnibar, maybe also make the Legendary Birds part of the story. Add another rival, of course keep Blue as the primary rival but make Red/Green into another based on who you start as and they can start alongside you and Blue, taking the otherwise wasted third Starter. Bring in Pokemon from other regions, and add more Mega evolution's such as Lapras, Persian and Raichu. Oh, and for the love of god, change Surge's gym, it is NOT OK for players to be expected to spend forever on a stupid luck based "puzzle".

IMO, RB needs this badly. The original doesn't hold up well, and somehow FRLG is arguably worse because it refused to add many of even the most basic improvements from 2nd and 3rd gen (aside from the graphics, running shoes and battlesystem).

What do you think? I normally wouldn't ask for a remake, never mind a re-remake, but the games deserve better than the appalling FRLG. There is so much potential for greatness, and I personally would love to finally see if fulfilled.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You are why Nintendo fails these days

Fire Red and Leaf Green are fantastic games even today yet instead of making a new game you'd rather they expand on older games that were never designed to be expanded on.

I don't know if it's a thing where you're unable to deal with new things or you just can't be bothered to look for something new but I'd suggest you start pushing for new things instead of bringing out the old games over and over and over.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Fire Red and Leaf Green are fantastic games even today yet instead of making a new game you'd rather they expand on older games that were never designed to be expanded on.

I don't know if it's a thing where you're unable to deal with new things or you just can't be bothered to look for something new but I'd suggest you start pushing for new things instead of bringing out the old games over and over and over.

I'm all for new thing, especially from Nintendo, but GameFreak doesn't make anything but Pokemon anyway, and only main series Pokemon at that, and it's not likely to ever change. Besides, it's hardly out of character for them, there are more remakes in the series than new games anyway if you count the "Enhanced" versions, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum.

I'm not saying it should come before, say Gen 7 or anything like that, but it's almost guaranteed that there will be more Pokemon remakes in the future, especially if they are to continue with the current trend of releasing a new game every year, and all I'm saying Red and Blue need remakes far more than say Diamond and Pearl or any other game in the series.

Also if you actually believe that FRLG is a good you are beyond help. The game was playable, but they didn't bring any of the improvements over from RS or even GSC, it was the exact same game. In fact there barely a reason to actually play FRLG over RB because at least if you play the originals you don't have to get stuck on those islands playing errand boy for Bill, they should have used that section to improve upon Team Rocket's storyline instead of just adding generic rubbish.

Also you're one to talk about been unable to deal with new things, every time Nintendo tries something , you are always the first one hear complaining about it.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@spike6958: the truth is that these games are like the same old yogurt from the same ol' producer,they can't blame themselves for not being creative,look at ORAS, they don't do much about Hoenn, but adding some gen 6 apparatus.if you noticed my thinking,I'm not in the same league as Jaysonguy.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
@Jaysonguy said:

See this is where you're a tad wrong Jaysonguy.

It's not just him, MOST of the Nintendo Fanboys (here at least) are begging for more remakes than new titles. I mean heck, look at how many of them want ANOTHER Zelda remake/port/reimagining/definitive edition instead of asking for new titles.

I'm fine with a remake every now and then but these people constantly ask for them even right after one just released.

Sickening I tell you just Sickening

Yellowjello4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Yellowjello4
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I think that the real reason anyone wants remakes (most of the time) is because of nostalgia. I notice that most of the asked for remakes aren't on the eshop. People want to play classic RB but they can't because they don't have a classic Gameboy. I used to beg for a Mario Sunshine remake until I got a Gamecube and was actually able to play it. I'm sure if I had a Gameboy and Pokemon Red, I wouldn't care for a remake. This is just my opinion. So instead of remakes, I think that more needs to be added to the VC.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

im thinking the next step is a pokemon collection remakes with updated graphics or something that includes the first 3 pokemon games.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

I'd be totally for them. I'm sure they'll remake them (again) in the future anyway.

Also didn't ORAS outsell X and Y's first week numbers? And wasn't ORAS Nintendo's best selling game of the holidays? It's anything but a financial failure.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

No they shouldn't, there are enough remakes and remasters piling up. I'd rather have new games

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Nope. To me, Heartgold and SoulSilver are better games than those two and already has Kanto along with a second land which is Johto so why bother?...

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

let me start off by saying i didnt read ur post before answering I dont believe it necessary

no, there isnt a reason to remake pokemon games. you really wanna refight team rocket so much more then magma, or seaweed, or whoever. there is nothing unique about red and blue that warrants a remake.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I wouldn't mind but definitely not anytime soon. If they were to make one, it'd be nice if you get to visit Johto as Red just to spice it up a bit.

Poison_Ivysaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Poison_Ivysaur
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

I would like to see Pokemon Red and Blue remade with updated graphics, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. We have to see Gen 4 and Gen 5 remakes.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Maybe this should be it's own thread, but the answer is a resounding yes... on one condition...

That the MMO Pokemon for a Home Console that we have been asking for since the N64 be based on Pokemon Red and Blue.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

No, wtf.

Make a new Pokemon game please.

Avatar image for Undue_Influence
Undue_Influence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Undue_Influence
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

Definitely not. The originals will always be special because they introduced a lot of gamers to a great new franchise, and fans of the show to rpg style gaming. Prefer they just made the originals and the first remakes available on virtual console so they can be easily accessed and just focus on a new game.

ajblit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ajblit
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

Heart gold soul silver was kind of a remake to the old red blue green

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

I don't really see the point.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

No. God, no. Gen 1 is extremely overrated. Gen 2 expanded upon it in every conceivable way. Plus, after HGSS yet another remake of gen 1 would just feel redundant. FRLG were enough, they were great remakes and that should be the end of gen 1.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Fire red and leaf green already did a great job of that.

Pokemon is getting extremely bloated now, competitively speaking. Honestly I don't care much for a new game. Unless it was a sequel to XD with the original composer.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Why not a remake of pokemon yellow? I mean, it's a different game when you compare it to red and blue.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

No, the remakes were great remakes and okay games that show the originals can't be overly expanded in technology or their limits start showing. Just like ORAS showed how limited Gen 3 is blown up on a 3DS in some extent, a remake now would just be bad for Gen 1.

reaver9210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 reaver9210
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

to everyone who said no wtf if you didn't literally grow up with an o.g Gameboy or gameboy pocket shut up. ref and blue were awesome , yes too small by TODAYS standards but back then they were awesome . what it really needs is a fp reboot on a console platform I'd literally kill for that , the fact they keep adding onto it just ruins it. console with heaps of DLC would be best

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5264 Posts

@reaver9210: if you are reading this, you are responding to a two-year old thread. It needs to be locked.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#25 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

No need to dig up threads older than a few months just to post in. Locking.