Should a new Metroid contain backtracking?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Over the years I've read a lot of complaints by reviewers about backtracking. Personally I love going back to old areas to unlock new ones. It's a formula that made Super Metroid and Metroid Prime what they are. I noticed in Metroid Prime 3 they tried to get rid of so much backtracking.

Should a new Metroid contain backtracking?

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

Only if the old sections feel new when backtracking. That's the key.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Yes, as long as it's not a fetch quest like the end of Prime. Visiting old areas with new abilities is the heart of Metroid gameplay.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

Backtracking has always been an important part of the Metroid series, and it should stay that way. It's what makes Metroid what it is. There are of course good and bad ways of doing backtracking, but I think Metroid has always done a good job of keeping previously visited areas interesting with new upgrades to Samus' suit.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I never saw the problem with backtracking. Usually when you got a new power, that new power opens up shortcuts, secrets, or new areas in those previous;y visited spots...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I want the next Metroid game to be just like Super Metroid in terms of structure and progression. Take that as you will.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

I want the next Metroid game to be just like Super Metroid in terms of structure and progression. Take that as you will.

I am OK with that.

However, my current Metroid fantasy game is 3D, 3rd person, and draws heavier emphasis on melee combat. You can thank Zero Suit Samus's combat prowess in Smash Bros for making me want this. Like, you start out without her suit (it was stolen, or busted, or whatever) and the first third of the game is really focused on avoiding combat either through stealth or evasion/platforming mechanics. Then as Samus gets parts of her suit and weapons back the focus changes to melee combat and environmental puzzles for the large bosses. And finally, when she's got her full suit it once again changes to become more shooter focused as Samus takes down the largest baddies without holding back.

I figure you can do a lot of backtracking and have it all stay fresh if gameplay changes that much. Most sections would be made to play differently depending on how powered up Samus is.

A man can dream, can't he? A man can dream.
A man can dream, can't he? A man can dream.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

I think all adventure games should have some sort of back-tracking. It makes the world feel more real rather than just a series of scenes to walk through.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Yes

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

never played a bad metroid game (other m wasnt great, but it wasnt bad either) so i believe they know what their doing and if they have backtracking in any new games (which basically goes without saying) i believe theyll do it right

back tracking isnt inherently bad or good, depends on the game and metroid games are always good

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Whatever they've been doing, they need to keep doing it.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Kindof of what makes a metroidvania game a metroidvania game. I like being able to stroll back through a tough zone (when I feel like it) and get all the hidden bits that I couldn't get to before, I enjoy that stuff.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

We need more Super Metroid/Metroid Prime and less Metroid Fusion/Other M. I like the open ended open world approach where you backtrack to explore your new potential when you get a new ability. I don't like the direction the series took in Fusion and Other M where you were always told exactly what to do.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@elheber: That would be neat but since playing Super Metroid for the first time, I have thought all the other games in the series are inferior to it. My only issue with a focus on melee is that we know how Other M turned out. Not a terrible game but not the Metroid I know and love.

It's my same issue with Star Fox. They keep trying different things and while the result is usually fairly solid, none of them live up to 64 IMO. If they would just do another game in that vein, I'd be in heaven. That is, pure, unadulterated, filler free arcade style shooting with branching levels for extra replayability. Similarly, I want a Metroid game that is completely open ended like Super or Prime (although I haven't played Prime in a very long time, I think I like the 2D better... I should replay Prime soon). No fluff or unneeded content, just pure exploration while you blast away enemies.

TilxWLOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TilxWLOC
Member since 2011 • 1164 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

We need more Super Metroid/Metroid Prime and less Metroid Fusion/Other M. I like the open ended open world approach where you backtrack to explore your new potential when you get a new ability. I don't like the direction the series took in Fusion and Other M where you were always told exactly what to do.

This is very true, as much as I liked Metroid Fusion/Other M the were far too restrictive. I didn't even 100% Fusion because it doesn't want you to backtrack, you have to know the secret passages through all of the zones to collect everything at the end, and I just gave up trying because I accidentally ended up at the point of no return in all of my runs.

I'll also be glad if they decide to leave in sequence breaks this time (as long as they are breaking the game too much) instead of trying to patch it out like they did with Metroid Prime.

All in all, backtracking is a must in the series because Metroid allows you freedom, backtracking is a great way to let the player see stuff that they can't get at the moment, and later if they feel like it or get lost they can walk around and still have stuff to enjoy.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

Perfectly said.

@simuseb2 said:

I think all adventure games should have some sort of back-tracking. It makes the world feel more real rather than just a series of scenes to walk through.

Also perfectly said.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yes.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 turtlethetaffer

@roboccs said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Perfectly said.

@simuseb2 said:

Also perfectly said.

Super Metroid is one of those rare games where backtracking is not only fun, but feels like a real treat. It's a great feeling to find an area you can't pass, only to come back to it later and find a new area with a new ability. Not enough games are able to use this formula effectively. Plus, ther are usually upgrades that require late game skills in early areas, and upgrading a character in an action adventure game is addicting. To me, at least. It's why I 100%'ed ALBW in about four days (I was on winter break and played it nonstop before getting every upgrade and heart piece. Only thing I have left to do are the Shadow Link challenges).

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Wasn't the backtracking mostly going back to reach new areas you couldn't before, after receiving a new item?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Hell yes. The feeling you get when you later in the game understand how to get to something you've been wondering about is awesome. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime did this wonderfully, and I very much would like to see it return.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I hate backtracking which is why I've never gotten into any of the Metroid games. But those who love the series love the backtracking so the series should stay true to its roots.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30688 Posts

Backtracking is part of a game that features item progression, you need one to make the other work. Just going forward with item progression doesn't work, because it wont feel like progression.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#23 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Any game that has continual exploration soon gets boring. You can't be endlessly impressed by new surroundings, so I think backtracking should be in all shooter games really.