Nintendo's Marketing Strategy Behind Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

I think Nintendo would greatly benefit by promoting some of their current games more by advertising. 3 games in particular would be Wii Fit U, Wii Sports, and NES Nintendo Remix. Wii Sports, and Wii Fit.... great original Wii titles, that would peek interest in potential buyers.... but seems like if you don't own a nintendo, you wouldn't even know these titles existed on the Wii U. I see that as a major flaw of the "Digital exclusive" or Download only style. I think if more people knew these games existed, it might put some more people over the hump, with getting the Wii U.

Secondly With Mario 3D world, Pikmin 3, and Zelda HD.... These should also be promoted heavily.

Not saying this is turn things around for the WII U ... but seems like the one major concern with the Wii U is the lack of games, and sees like NOW they are starting to get there with the games, but unless you are constantly looking out for new titles, you wouldn't know a lot of the digital exclusives existed.

Also... viewing it more as a Wii 2, or Super Wii... may have been a better route to go that Wii U.

thoughts?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Dunno how much it will help. I think just marketing in general needs to be more apparent. Maybe they can pick it up on the launch of Mario Kart 8. That's a recognisable and very popular franchise - especially from the Wii/DS generation. People know this game, and still buy toys relating to Mario Kart Wii in Christmas 2013.

So I see that as a big opportunity for Nintendo. Potentially bring in a Mario Kart bundle for Christmas 2014 prior to Smash Bros. release (if sales don't seem to be picking up, otherwise, just leave it as is).

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I don't think they will bother advertising Wii U much. At this point even they are admitting they've fucked up badly, there focus now will probably be to simply minimise their losses and decide on their future. They won't drop the Wii U right now because they know that'll hurt them even more, and people won't buy their next system for fear of the same fate, but they will be looking for when will be the earliest safe time they can move forward.

I'd also say prepare to see even larger gaps between titles, as I said they're likely going to be looking for when the safest time for them to drop the Wii U, and not wanting to dump more money into a failing console, so they'll probably spread out the releases of titles they've already got coming out so they don't have to put money into developing more games that won't sell and to fill the time before they can look to a new system.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4  Edited By kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Also I don't get this whole "there not advertising thing." All Christmas long when I was watching various specials on TV namely the "family" oriented channels like Disney and ABC Family, every other commercial break was a WiiU ad. What? Did you think they'd advertise on Spike TV or Comedy Central?

I think the WiiU will be treated like the Gamecube. Nintendo will coast along with fan service games, market it to kids to get by. They'll put more focus on the 3DS because they've always dominated the handheld space and won't lose that. I think the whole notion of "going third party" is overblown. They're not bleeding money like Sega was. Sega's downfall was from years of bad decisions, and one piece of failed hardware after another. (Sega CD, CDX, 32x, Game Gear, Nomad, Saturn, etc.) Aside from the Virtual Boy, Nintendo still makes money off it's hardware. (Sony lots millions on the PS3 early on and MS has constantly lost money on the Xbox brand)

Let's hope if the WiiU is another Gamecube they'll at least give us another Metroid Prime, Starfox and Fzero (since GC had all those).