Is Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS worth buying?

USAK1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 USAK1NG
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

I ask because I am thinking about buying a Nintendo 3DS soon and getting Super Smash Bros. with it. Unfortunately, I've heard barely anything about the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. Apparently, people really love the Wii U version, but there's no way I'm going to buy a Wii U for one game. On the other hand, with the 3DS, there are a ton of games that I want.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I just got the New 3DS, but I was on the old launch model and imo it was almost unplayable. I'd say it depends if you've got people to play it with, otherwise get the wiiu one.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Yes

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@USAK1NG: There's actually quite a bit of info on the 3DS version. There are a lot of reviews and they were all quite positive. People are just talking more about the WiiU version now because that is the definitive version and was the latest one to come out. But if you're not ever planning on buying a WiiU and you really like the Smash Bros series, then the 3DS version is probably worth getting.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@roboccs said:

@USAK1NG: There's actually quite a bit of info on the 3DS version. There are a lot of reviews and they were all quite positive. People are just talking more about the WiiU version now because that is the definitive version and was the latest one to come out. But if you're not ever planning on buying a WiiU and you really like the Smash Bros series, then the 3DS version is probably worth getting.

I'd agree with this. I would also add that if you're buying a 3DS with the intent of playing Smash, make sure to get the NEW 3DS, as the c-Stick make the game much easier to play.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yes it is... if you never play the wiiU version you will think its awesome...

when i had the 3ds version i thought the graphics were much better than i thought and the controls were great (a lot of people had problems though)

i had tons of fun online....

now that i have the wiiU version i play that because its more comfortable and the battery doesnt run out.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@USAK1NG: Watch out, people have been breaking off their 3DS analog sticks due to this 3DS SSB game. No joke. I warned some users about that a few months ago and they bought it anyways. Last week I saw some of those users complaining their 3DS is on it's last legs due to SSB. Just be warned.

I own the definitive Wii U version myself. :P

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

nothing wrong with the 3ds version i say get it

as long as you dont have access to the wiiu version

one or the other no need to get both, unless u want mewtwo and in that case u can just buy the wiiu nintendo club card on ebay (i did)

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The demo was good but there is just too much happening on such a tiny screen.

aryianna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aryianna
Member since 2015 • 118 Posts

My vote is a definite yes. You won't be sorry

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34654 Posts

I have both versions, and it's awesome on 3ds. The fact that you can bring Smash Bros. with you and that there's some stuff in the game that the Wii U version doesn't have (smash run is great) makes it worth it, imo.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

If you're mostly on the go instead of home, definitely get the 3DS version. The Wii U version blows it out of the water, but I'm still ranking up more gameplay hours on the 3DS version because I spent most of my day outside of home. Whenever I meet up with friends during breaks, we sit in a public area and have quick Smashes before parting ways. Smashing on the big screen with buddies is definitely a lot more fun, especially 8-player Smash, but who truly has the time to constantly invite 3+ people over these days? The 3DS version is definitely inferior in almost every way, but I find it rare to find someone who still actively plays their 3DS and does not own Smash. Online is better on Wii U and its online community is more dedicated, therefore it's the definitive version if you prefer Smashing at home.

USAK1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 USAK1NG
Member since 2006 • 27 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to hold off on buying Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, but if there never comes a time when the Wii U has a ton of great games, I'll surely buy Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U. I'm still planning on buying the 3DS and getting some of the games I want for the system.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Only if you're not planning on getting the WiiU version, otherwise it would be silly unless you just want Smash wherever you are.

Elaisse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Elaisse
Member since 2012 • 648 Posts

I own both and play them pretty regular.

NoZakuBoy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NoZakuBoy09
Member since 2015 • 141 Posts

If you already have it for the WiiU then I'd say eventually getting it for the 3DS would be good. Just wait until you have some extra $ or get it for cheap somewhere. Basically get it when it's most convinient for you to do so, since you would already have the defintive version then there's no rush to get the handheld version.

If you don't have a WiiU and don't plan on getting one in the near future (in 2015) and you happen to have a 3DS, then yeah its very much worth it to me. Its a game you can get extremely high replay value out of it from the various modes, collecting trophies, playing online where there's wifi, and most of all the portability factor is huge. This game can keep you occupied on the go for a very long time and it you can pick up and play for short bursts (ex. match or two) .

A big factor would be how much you are on the go and away from home. If you spend a lot of your time outside of home , travel a lot, then its great to have the portable version. But if you come home pretty much every day and consistently have a couple hours of free time left after work/school or whatnot, then there is much less incentive to get the portable version. This describes me a good bit, I have both versions but I'm more of hte person who goes out of the house to accomplish very specific tasks and only go to one social event a week, so I pretty much always have some time at the end of almost every day of the week to play the WiiU version. Although I've been spending more time playing Twilight Princess recently. I always log a decent 2-3 hours of smash bros on weekend days.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes it is worth buying.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

The 3DS version is great. You should go get it.