I lost my stylus can someone recommend me a substitute until I can get a new one

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by leegar88 (5307 posts) -
I lost it around the same time I got Phantom Hourglass. Should I keep using my finger or find a substitute like a pen or something.
#2 Posted by hunterorprey (23 posts) -

Tip: use a black magic marker with the lid off

^works best

#3 Posted by reservoir_doggy (4054 posts) -
a retractable pen would probably work fine, without the ink part pushed out of course
#4 Posted by princesszelda (6869 posts) -
I wouldn't recommend you use anything like a pen/pencil just because it might damage your screen. Try to hold off until you get a replacement stylus.
#5 Posted by riseneclipse (1176 posts) -
definetely dont use a pen or marker. just hold off. see if you still have the second stylus that comes with the DS. oh and dont use a Q-tip either, i tried once and it damaged my screen.
#6 Posted by leegar88 (5307 posts) -

definetely dont use a pen or marker. just hold off. see if you still have the second stylus that comes with the DS. oh and dont use a Q-tip either, i tried once and it damaged my screen.riseneclipse

Hm I think I will just use my finger that can't be bad.

#7 Posted by NFSspeeddemon (46 posts) -
Ya, well uh, being a proffesional of the subject, i would have to say you should use a pair of scissors. I've been doing it for 37 years now and i think it's quite effective. Hope this helps. Igoing back to my laboritory todo extended researchon the subject though and i'll be sure to tell you what i find out.
#8 Posted by bernieberry (439 posts) -
Just go to any store that sells a replacement stylus and buy one. If you use anything else you will void your warrenty. Anything else could scratch the screen.
#9 Posted by gromit007 (3024 posts) -

You know you can pick one up from a few places rather easily, right?

#10 Posted by note_ny (16 posts) -
you know....telling him that he can get a another stylus by BUYING another one isn't really helping him. Try a bobby pin with the cushions still on. u gotta be careful though because if its not then they will scratch your screen.
#11 Posted by leegar88 (5307 posts) -

gromit007

I know but i'm broke right now I can't get one until I get paid.

#12 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13693 posts) -
[QUOTE="gromit007"]

leegar88

Well then um, wait 'till you get paid. Or look around for some extra cash. They only cost like 10 bucks for like 3 stylus...lucky i had the original NDS lite stylus and the Pokemon Pearl limited edition stylus. :D
#13 Posted by leegar88 (5307 posts) -
[QUOTE="leegar88"][QUOTE="gromit007"]

WSGRandomPerson

Well then um, wait 'till you get paid. Or look around for some extra cash. They only cost like 10 bucks for like 3 stylus...lucky i had the original NDS lite stylus and the Pokemon Pearl limited edition stylus. :D

I know but it sucks leaving Zelda waiting.

#14 Posted by Patheticus (676 posts) -
I use the end of a thin paintbrush.Works nicely.Don't leave it in the stylus slot though.If it snaps you'll be left with a stub that's almost impossible to pull out(like mine....)
#15 Posted by Denjin_hadouken (5927 posts) -
Try using a q tip
#16 Posted by arjun180 (478 posts) -
use a cotton bud, and don't play stylus heavy games like mph
#17 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
a toothpick
#18 Posted by whacker40 (311 posts) -
what is up with all these suggestions? just use your fingernail, it works just fine.
#19 Posted by reader456 (22 posts) -
do you have the thumb strap? thats my back-up. don't use scissors, they make the screen have pretty colors and die.;) also, if you use an aforementioned stand-in, make sure the nub youre using to touch the screen is smooth. plastic molding often has a slight edge to it, and you may need to sand the tip of oh, say a bobby pin. just a little word of advice.
#20 Posted by vitz3 (1884 posts) -

Try using a q tipDenjin_hadouken

Final blow. EXP gained 98600 pts.

Good idea.

#22 Posted by tuckingfypo (62 posts) -
do you have the thumb strap? thats my back-up. don't use scissors, they make the screen have pretty colors and die.;) also, if you use an aforementioned stand-in, make sure the nub youre using to touch the screen is smooth. plastic molding often has a slight edge to it, and you may need to sand the tip of oh, say a bobby pin. just a little word of advice.reader456
wats a thumb strap ,please explain im dumb founded?
#24 Posted by roboccs (7363 posts) -

I can't believe all the punks telling you to use scissors or a marker with the cap off. Use the thumb strap because it was made to be used on the screen or just use your finger.

Best of luck to you.

#25 Posted by Liquid_Courage (5807 posts) -
You could use the eraser end of a pencil, it doesn't work great for parts that you have to drag across the screen, but just for poking it's good.
#26 Posted by fullmetal345 (1 posts) -

use your finger work well or try to find your stylus

#27 Posted by TheChemistGuy (127 posts) -
A pointer from any PDA-type device will work. I have a pen with a PDA pointer part as my back up.
#28 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -
i used a mcdonalds toy lol
#29 Posted by dannylee25 (1 posts) -
where do u get the limeted edition diamond one??????
#30 Posted by Lucas-O-B (8 posts) -

Having lost both of my styluses at the same time (lucky for me I found them both again), I will warn you, DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF PEN! I used one once, andI was really annoyed when it made a mark. Although after that I used my little finger, I would reccommend a cotton bud.

Also, if you want the special Pokemon stylus:

www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/3435348/DS-Lite-Transpak-Pokemon-Diamond-Pearl/Product.html

Lucas

#31 Posted by DUDEYOUYO (12 posts) -
I HAVE THAT PROBLEM TOO I SUGJEST A PUSH PIN WITH THE INK STICK IN
#32 Posted by Gamehead88 (133 posts) -
use a q tip it wont scratch the screen either
#33 Posted by Gamehead88 (133 posts) -
use a q tip it wont scratch the screen either
#34 Posted by Alphacy (1890 posts) -
Rush to the store, to get a spare. That should do the job. And mostly you can only get two or three, which is a good thing, because if one is lost again, you at least got the other one or two.
#35 Posted by Alphacy (1890 posts) -

[QUOTE="reader456"]do you have the thumb strap? thats my back-up. don't use scissors, they make the screen have pretty colors and die.;) also, if you use an aforementioned stand-in, make sure the nub youre using to touch the screen is smooth. plastic molding often has a slight edge to it, and you may need to sand the tip of oh, say a bobby pin. just a little word of advice.tuckingfypo
wats a thumb strap ,please explain im dumb founded?

It´s a thing which you can attach to your thumb and use it instead of your stylus. It´s mostly used nowadays, if you don´t want to hold a stylus or if you want to use both thumb straps at the same time, since that´s not possible with two styluses.

#36 Posted by lycrof (6393 posts) -
Buy Brain age 2 and get the stylus pack after registering it.
#37 Posted by gwarlito (1761 posts) -
a sharp knife
#38 Posted by rgsniper1 (9350 posts) -
Go to EB/Gamestop and ask if they have any promo ones left over. My local stores usually have tons of this crap.
#39 Posted by Djmaster214 (3239 posts) -

a mechanical pencil with the lead in ofcourse.

god the things i wanted to say for this thread....

#40 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
thumb strap, or a PDA/palm top pen.
#41 Posted by ShinyPinkRobots (56 posts) -
i suggest getting quite a few replacement ones, i constantly lose mine, and if you have the old DS the strap that comes with it has a special finger stylus.
#42 Posted by Ruhdezee (975 posts) -
id use a toothpick just dnt push too hard
#43 Posted by VarnaSerph (62 posts) -
mechanical pencil the plastic one
#44 Posted by cman8467 (138 posts) -
just use your finger i use it half te time
#45 Posted by rgsniper1 (9350 posts) -

just use your finger i use it half te timecman8467

For the TC, does it creep you out that he uses your finger? I'd ask what he does with it, but i'm not really sure I want to know.

#46 Posted by kazen88 (52 posts) -
Mm.. Well.. I assume you purchased your copy of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass right? If so, you can register the game on the Nintendo website. I believe the promotion is still going on. If you register your game, you'll get a free quill stylus.
#47 Posted by darthmandalore (1 posts) -

I know it's far too late for people to be reading this, but if someone does a Google search looking for an answer, I've found the eraser end of a pencil works just fine. Keep a peice of tissue paper handy to clean it off every once in a while and I can't see any problems.

#48 Posted by cokolino (10 posts) -

Best substitute would be a guitar pick

#49 Posted by Elduque21 (985 posts) -
Ya, well uh, being a proffesional of the subject, i would have to say you should use a pair of scissors. I've been doing it for 37 years now and i think it's quite effective. Hope this helps. Igoing back to my laboritory todo extended researchon the subject though and i'll be sure to tell you what i find out. NFSspeeddemon
What step in evolution, the monkey found the key board!!! Hold off for no, if you have a screen protector you could use some objects that are blunt small points. Other styulus like off a PDA or something could work, but your best bet is waiting, play your GBA games while you wait!
#50 Posted by awssk8er716 (8485 posts) -

They sell for about $4 (For like 3).

P.S. How can you lose one? Each DS comes with 2, and I have 3 DS's. And I still have all six.