Game saves + Downloaded games...3DS transfer to 3DS XL ??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LivingDeadNinja
LivingDeadNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 LivingDeadNinja
Member since 2003 • 8110 Posts

I've decided to buy the 3DS XL next month since i've found a good deal, so i'll get rid of the 3DS. I have a bunch of physical games with progress in them, and a bunch of downloades ones too (3DS Ware, Classics). Don't want to loose anything obviously.

Now, i know Nintendo isn't friendly with this and i'm not sure about how it'll go for the 3DS/XL.
I mean with Wii, if you want to change console (model, color...whatever reason), you're downright f*****. You cannot transfer downloaded games. I guess you can switch games saves, but still, downloaded games kills it.
With Vita, you can technically switch systems and keep your memory card. Downloads can be redownloaded too. And the system can be backed up. Almost all good, except that you cannot precisely manage your saved date, which might be a problem. And the games that can ONLY save on the actual cart...Vita is mostly good except for these last 2 hiccups.
Then PS3 and 360. You can redownload anything. You can copy saves, physically or even digitally now. And backup/transfer data of hard drives. So these 2 makes a system switch a simple, problem free thing.

So, how about the 3DS? Can i buy a 3DS XL and keep all i have?
Game saves...do all physical 3DS games save on the game card and only there? Does it depend on the data type?
Can downloaded games be re-downloaded on the XL? Or do they have to be transfered with the memory card? Can they at all?
As for the unit itself, is there anything important that is stored in the system itself?

Thanks for any help!

LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#2 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

you can/ have to transfer everything you have from one 3ds to the other, but as far as I know all digital saves (for digital games) are lost. Hard copy games are saved on the cart itself so you dont have to worry about that.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#3 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

In one of the pre-release reviews they said they lost their saves on their downloaded games when they transfered systems. Who knows if that will still be the case on the actual release.

knives913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 knives913
Member since 2011 • 142 Posts

I thought all saves were put on an SD card. Can't you just take the card out and put it in the 3DS XL?

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
This video shows that you can transfer all and, at the end, it actually tells you to copy all the content from your SD to the new one, I assume, in order to keep the saved games and other related content. The video is from Nintendo UK but I do believe it will apply to every console http://youtu.be/SHS56j93lhU Regards
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
Its pretty simple. If you want to transfer you just transfer and all that, but first make sure you copy all of your files on your SD card to a computer. There you will keep all your music, photos and game saves for downloadable games. I have a 16 GB SD card for my 3DS so I am probably just gonna switch out, but if you just kept the 2GB SD Card and you want to use the 4GB SD card on the 3DS XL, all you do is copy the original SD card files on your PC, then insert the new SD Card, then drag the files to the new SD card. There you should have all your files transferred.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#7 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

there is a transfer program only up to 5 transfers for user though , i m keeping my dl i already have on my small one and using my big one for 3ds games and ds retail ,

more easier and faster to get just to the game i used it once already on my red 3ds from my blue 3ds , yes ill have 3 come auguest 18 1 xl 2 reg ,

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I thought all saves were put on an SD card. Can't you just take the card out and put it in the 3DS XL?

knives913

That's what I'm gonna do, just use my current 2gb sd card because I don't have a card reader on my PC. As someone else already said, hard copy games have saves on the cartridge.