Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D Multiplayer question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 AVIS93
Member since 2009 • 341 Posts

Hello.

So my girlfriend and I both own a 3DS. We just played New Super Mario Bros. U in its entirety on my Wii U and had a blast, so we're going to do the same for New Super Mario Bros. 2 since I just bought a physical copy a few weeks ago and she got it digitally as a Club Nintendo reward.

We were looking for other co-op games to play in the coming weeks and found that Donkey Kong Country Returns has co-op on both the Wii and 3DS. My question is, can the entire game be played with two players on the 3DS? I found out that we need two copies of the game to play, but I don't know if this co-op mode is something separate or if it's the full game.

Thanks in advance!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I've only played it on the Wii, but from reviews, I'm pretty sure it's the same. In the Wii version, the entire single player campaign is playable in co-op.

Just a heads up, DK Returns co-op *might* not be very good for you two. I also play games with my girlfriend, but she is more of a casual player. She enjoyed multiplayer in Mario games, but Donkey Kong is just a little bit too hard. I've also got a friend who plays co-op with his partner, and his partner is similar to mine where she casually plays games. She enjoys other co-op games like Mario, but DK was also too difficult.

So if you're both really good at games, then *maybe* the co-op might be more enjoyable. But if either of you aren't very good at platformers, you mightn't enjoy DK returns co-op.

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AVIS93

@trugs26: Thanks for your reply! Yes, it's a game that we're planning to play in the future, but not right now since she isn't very experienced with platformers yet. She does play a lot of games (definitely not a casual gamer) and even finished both the regular and the Master Quest of OoT in less than a week (I'm a proud man), but her abilities with platform games aren't developed yet.

Any co-op games on the 3DS besides Mario and DK that you'd recommend? I'm considering Monster Hunter 4, but I'm not sure if we'll enjoy it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@AVIS93: Monster Hunter is probably the most co-op centric game on the 3DS, so that's a good choice. Luigi's Mansion 2 is predominantly a single player game, but there is a co-op multiplayer component which I thought was pretty fun. Animal Crossing New Leaf can be pretty cool, where you can run around a town together and do activities, but obviously you'd want to enjoy this genre of game before considering it altogether.

Other than that, there isn't much I can think of. Maybe Zelda Four Swords on the 3DS virtual console might be a cool one (if the game is still available - I got it as an ambassador, so I'm not sure if everyone else can get it). If you can, I think that'd be an awesome one to play through together, especially since she enjoyed Zelda OoT (I assume).

AVIS93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AVIS93

@trugs26: I'm definitely considering Monster Hunter 4, it looks very fun and expansive but my fear is that it may be too overwhelming for her, but we'll definitely give it a shot sometime.

I didn't know that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon had a co-op component. I'll check it out, she mentioned once that she really wanted to get that game.

Animal Crossing is an interesting choice, one that I enjoy but she is far from attracted to it. She has seen various videos and reviews of the game but she says that it isn't the type of game that she would play, although I think that Animal Crossing is a game that doesn't sound attractive at all until you begin playing it.

Unfortunately, Four Swords isn't available on the 3DS eShop (I really don't understand why). I got it for free around two years ago during a weekend when it was available, but it was a month before she got her 3DS. It's a shame, especially because we're both huge Zelda fans, she adored Ocarina of Time and played the hell out of A Link Between Worlds and Majora's Mask.