Convert Movies to Play On 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snaptrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Snaptrap
Member since 2003 • 2186 Posts

It would help if Nintendo included something to do this but no. So how do I convert my BD and DVD's to play on the 3DS pos.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

You can't.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#3 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
You'll need another device with media capabilities.
Snaptrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Snaptrap

Well that sucks! This pos device is going back to the store.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darth-pyschosis

Snaptrap

You didn't do any research then? Anyone who knows the vaguest details about Nintendo handhelds would know it didn't play videos.

I don't understand why you would buy a 3DS to watch movies, it's a video game machine. It's clearly intended to play video games, did you not intend on playing DS or 3DS games on it? If so, you're walking away from the best portable game library in history (the DS) and the one with the brightest future (3DS)

And why would you rip a BluRay movie, which is going to be a huge file size, and put it on a tiny screen that won't even use nearly half the resolution of the original movie? I can understand ripping the DVD and putting it on a portable device, but a BluRay? (I believe you mentioned ripping BR in your OP, if not ignore this)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
It's not an unreasonable assumption to expect the 3DS to play movies (although a bit of research would tell you no, I suppose). Every other handheld device plays videos just fine, from the PSP to iPod and other cheap mp3 players. That the 3DS plays music (albeit poorly) makes the video omission even weirder. And that they announced Netflix a while back, but don't support user videos. The ability to rip and encode your own 3D movies would be great, even with the relatively low resolution of the 3DS screen.
Snaptrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Snaptrap

I thought it would because the PSP does.

Also I would rip BD movies because they're all I have. I don't do it for the quality.

DustinTheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 DustinTheWind
Member since 2002 • 4392 Posts

They've talked about video on 3DS before. The first step was the e-shop, which gave us some game trailers (and the Green Lantern trailer...). The next step will be Netflix, set for "this summer," so hopefully in July or August. They've talked about 3D recording with the 3DS cameras, so supposedly that's something they're working on. As far as ever being able to upload your own movies, maybe, sometime in the future, when the video on the 3DS has been explored a little more. Here's hoping for some youtube accesss soon as well....

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

It would help if Nintendo included something to do this but no. So how do I convert my BD and DVD's to play on the 3DS pos.

Snaptrap

What KIND of movies are you trying to watch on your 3DS???

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Coolyfett

You can't.

darth-pyschosis

Very interesting for a system costing 250.00 are you sure about this statement?

bub166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bub166
Member since 2006 • 2607 Posts

My memory is bad, but I could've sworn there was something in E3 2010 that talked about 3D Disney movies anyway. Not much, but it's a start if I'm correct. Plus there's Netflix coming. Either way, though, assuming this was a multi-media device was a bad move. The PSP does it because Sony has a bigger focus on bringing different types of media together. Nintendo focuses solely on games most of the time. While it's a possibility, the 3DS is $250 because it is a very capable gaming machine, in 3D no less, NOT a new type of iPod.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
They confirmed they will have movies in 3D from Disney, Pixar and Warner bros. It's unknown which file to convert it to will be, but we'll just have to wait I guess.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

You can't.

Coolyfett

Uh, I own one. Yes.

Why does it matter? It's a game system, not a wanna be jack of all trades/master of none. It isn't supposed to be the walkman of the 21st Century.

It will play 3D movies eventually, but the ability to actually load files onto it and play them off SD is unlikely to ever be added simply because it'd be a waste of nintendo's time. They make games, and I'd like them to concentrate 100% on that.

I'm already anticipating people asking why the Wii U won't play DVD/BD movies. Game Systems don't have to, especially Nintendo ones.

Also, to the TC

So you assumed the Nintendo 3DS would do something a Sony product would do? I'm sorry but you needed to do research with your purchase which could've saved yourself some time and money. I mean, nobody would buy a 3DS for video playback and only that. Do you sincerely want Zero DS/3DS games to play? If so, why did you even buy it?

DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

You can't.

darth-pyschosis

Uh, I own one. Yes.

Why does it matter? It's a game system, not a wanna be jack of all trades/master of none. It isn't supposed to be the walkman of the 21st Century.

It will play 3D movies eventually, but the ability to actually load files onto it and play them off SD is unlikely to ever be added simply because it'd be a waste of nintendo's time. They make games, and I'd like them to concentrate 100% on that.

I'm already anticipating people asking why the Wii U won't play DVD/BD movies. Game Systems don't have to, especially Nintendo ones.

Also, to the TC

So you assumed the Nintendo 3DS would do something a Sony product would do? I'm sorry but you needed to do research with your purchase which could've saved yourself some time and money. I mean, nobody would buy a 3DS for video playback and only that. Do you sincerely want Zero DS/3DS games to play? If so, why did you even buy it?

Totally agree. I wonder why some people don't even do sme research before buying something this expensive...

guitarist4292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 guitarist4292
Member since 2006 • 503 Posts

Wait? Are you telling me that theGAME CONSOLEI just bought won't play my ripped DVDs? What a piece of crap!

Seriously, man... you bought a game console, and if this feature was the make or break point on whether or not you owned one, any TINY amount of research prior to buying it would have told you it didn't have that capability.

JoeJoeLaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoeJoeLaker
Member since 2010 • 704 Posts

Serious? It's a gaming device. If you bought a 3DS for movies, that's pointless.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Coolyfett

They confirmed they will have movies in 3D from Disney, Pixar and Warner bros. It's unknown which file to convert it to will be, but we'll just have to wait I guess.FPS1337
Isnt the system to have the ability to record 3d video? What format will those videos be in?

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Coolyfett

Serious? It's a gaming device. If you bought a 3DS for movies, that's pointless.

JoeJoeLaker

The 3ds does play music, takes photos & use 32 GB SDHC cards. In 2011 thats very interesting.

Master_Hand15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Hand15
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts

Snaptrap

So,it's a peice of junk because you didnt even bother to do any research at all beforehand? Yeah,the 3DS is the one at fault here and not you >_>. Do some damn research next time before buying a system you have expectations for. What the 3DS does is allready amazing as it is. Having a video player is pushing it IMO.

JoeJoeLaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JoeJoeLaker
Member since 2010 • 704 Posts

[QUOTE="JoeJoeLaker"]

Coolyfett

The 3ds does play music, takes photos & use 32 GB SDHC cards. In 2011 thats very interesting.

Uhh ok. And?

Everybody knows that.

I was talking about how it cant be used for movies.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="FPS1337"]They confirmed they will have movies in 3D from Disney, Pixar and Warner bros. It's unknown which file to convert it to will be, but we'll just have to wait I guess.Coolyfett

Isnt the system to have the ability to record 3d video? What format will those videos be in?

No. It doesn't record 3D video. It takes 3D pics. I suppose it could someday.

You seem to be coming up saying "it does this" a lot when people are telling "no it actually doesn't" quite a lot.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I'm locking this because there's no discussion going on here much, just a little bit of complaining.