Jeff is coming back/What the **** is going on?

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

To be honest I haven't cared about a review nor paid any attention to GS outside of unions since the Kane & Lynch review all those years ago. I had a good time with the goofyness over at GiantBomb. The quicklooks, the podcast, the other personalities we were introduced to by the Happy Hour and all of the original video content. It's in my opinion the best thing thats happend to game journalism ever.

Now it seems that is either over or getting radically changed. My guess would be that money>sticking it to the man.

"Giant Bomb and Comic Vine are now in the same family as GameSpot and GameFAQs. The entire editorial teams from those sites are coming over, as is Dave. This marks a reunion of sorts as we'll get to work with our friends over at GameSpot again. Giant Bomb will continue to operate as its own unique site."

Linky

If I see a single GS/Cnet (CBS?) logo or GS "personality" in my GB it'll be the day a website made me cry.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts
They're hiring him so they can fire him again.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

Glad to have you back.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Bombcasts and quick looks better stay the way they are. And marathon stuff and all the funny sh1t they do.
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cook66

Aye, I'm back-ish. Good to be here. I'm going away for the weekend though so I wont post much until NEXT WEEK. :o

Here is the video of GB making their announcment. They seem exited which slightly lighens my spirit, but I am not convinced yet.

As long as I don't have to deal with this mess of a website. Holy ****. The draconian censorship, the double backspaces, the html errors, the damn mess of a layout which has been broken for what, 5 YEARS now? 

Jesus. I can set up a better forum than this in 30 minutes. =/

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Cook66

SILVER LINING!

22:00 minutes into the video I just posted. Watch it for a minute from there.

We SHALL KNOW!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I thought they had principals... I guess the Almighty Dollar is too tempting.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jg4xchamp

I thought they had principals... I guess the Almighty Dollar is too tempting.foxhound_fox
Duh they have bills to pay.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

As long as they keep doing quick looks, the bombcast, and all the other crazy sh*t they do, this is only good news. What is wrong with having more money to do what they do best?

Also, lol @ anyone calling them sell outs. Grow up. Everyone needs money, bills don't pay themselves.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cook66

But...

They are sell out. Thats the exact and 100% factual definition of what has happened here.

They... Sold.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jg4xchamp

But...

They are sell out. Thats the exact and 100% factual definition of what has happened here.

They... Sold.

Cook66

lol so?

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

But...

They... Sold.

Cook66
True but people here are using the slang definition of selling out. :P
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

They said it themselves, they don't have anyone in a busienss department, they were hanging on because of premium memberships but they could not entirely afford to keep going that way. Not sell outs.

Giantbomb is successful because of who they are, and since they made the reveal while eating pancakes, I have a feeling Giantbomb will stay who they are. I heard Jeff is supposed to reveal the true story of what happened to him, but if it's boring I bet it's a lie. 

Also, the HTML error has a solution.  

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Bombcasts and quick looks better stay the way they are. And marathon stuff and all the funny sh1t they do. jg4xchamp

It will.

I was worried at first, but if you watch that whole video it becomes clear that they're going to keep doing what they're doing, and keep their same identity and tone. And they'll still be able to cuss. If anyone is going to be adamant about that kind of thing, it's them.

The biggest downside to this is that Matt Rorie is left out in the cold and Screened is basically dead. I hope he can join them at some point and maybe do a movie podcast with Alex or something, because Behind The Screened Door was really good.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I don't think this is a bad thing as long as everything that makes GB great remains intact.

I thought they had principals... I guess the Almighty Dollar is too tempting.foxhound_fox
Yes, god forbid them having any type of financial stability.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cherokee_Jack

Dude. Danny O'Dwyer and Giant Bomb.

I actually don't know if he even lives in the US, but I hope so because those guys collaborating would be dope.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TreyoftheDead

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Bombcasts and quick looks better stay the way they are. And marathon stuff and all the funny sh1t they do. Cherokee_Jack

It will.

I was worried at first, but if you watch that whole video it becomes clear that they're going to keep doing what they're doing, and keep their same identity and tone. And they'll still be able to cuss. If anyone is going to be adamant about that kind of thing, it's them.

The biggest downside to this is that Matt Rorie is left out in the cold and Screened is basically dead. I hope he can join them at some point and maybe do a movie podcast with Alex or something, because Behind The Screened Door was really good.

Yeah. Of all the people getting screwed Rorie seems like he may have ended up with the shortest end of the stick. Which is a shame, as being a movie buff Screened was the WM site I gravitated more towards.

There is still hope though, he is supposed to make an annoucement today, maybe he and Screened are moving on to bigger and better things, too.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Well it's certainly good to hear that things at GB will remain the same. It's also a good idea to get some of these guys from GS over to do a Giant Bomb podcast every now and then. Once I heard that John Davidson was involved I wasn't really worried, He was responsible for starting the 1up podcast so I'm sure a little bit of cussing wasn't an issue.

Ok, a lot of cussing. But that's beside the point. John's a pretty straight dude and handles situations like this pretty well.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
Everyone needs money, bills don't pay themselves.TreyoftheDead
I distinctly remember the other guy (not Jeff) quiting on the principal that Jeff was fired for no good reason. Bills certainly don't pay themselves... but some people in this world have a backbone and continue to stand up for what they believe in, regardless of how much money is splayed before them. It just seems odd to me that they would let themselves get bought out because they set up Giantbomb in direct competition to Gamespot as a means of acting out against injustice.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
I find it funny you guys try to justify their actions as if they couldn't get jobs anywhere else.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TreyoftheDead

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]Everyone needs money, bills don't pay themselves.foxhound_fox
I distinctly remember the other guy (not Jeff) quiting on the principal that Jeff was fired for no good reason. Bills certainly don't pay themselves... but some people in this world have a backbone and continue to stand up for what they believe in, regardless of how much money is splayed before them. It just seems odd to me that they would let themselves get bought out because they set up Giantbomb in direct competition to Gamespot as a means of acting out against injustice.

Yes, but it wasn't because of Gamespot itself, but a management team that didn't know what the hell they were doing when it came to properly running an honest game website built on integrity. According to Jeff, that management team is no longer at Gamespot. Him being fired was the actions of a few people who no longer are a part of Gamespot. Ryan, Brad, Vinny, Alex, and everyone else who left didn't leave because they hated Gamespot, the left because of what that management team did: bowing down to the will of a publisher's jingling coin purse.

Again, he has no problem with Gamespot, so why should this matter? All this whining about selling out and not standing behind ones principles is just a bunch of internet weirdos hiding behind warped internet values as if it makes them men of principle.

Please.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
I find it funny you guys try to justify their actions as if they couldn't get jobs anywhere else.foxhound_fox
Why would they? I am guessing you don't have a meaningful career yet...
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jg4xchamp
I find it funny you guys try to justify their actions as if they couldn't get jobs anywhere else.foxhound_fox
They could, but most likely not anywhere near the amount of money they are getting for it now. Plus I'm sure given how Jeff was fired from the place there were a lot more things added to the document than simply money.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foxhound_fox
@Trey: That I did not know... which also changes my entire position. I was under the impression that nothing had changed since they left and were accepting a new position under the same people. [QUOTE="jechtshot78"] I am guessing you don't have a meaningful career yet...

This is utter bullsh*t. One doesn't need to experience something in order to comment on it. And even if I did have a "meaningful career," it wouldn't stop me from standing up for what I believed in, even if it meant finding something elsewhere, or new. I guess I just value my beliefs more than you do, and am willing to sacrifice title and salary for it.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
Incase anyone was wondering where I've been the past couple years (you weren't) I've been at GiantBomb since the day it started. I was skeptical at first but after watching Pancake Day, I know GiantBomb is doing the right thing. The GB crew all seem stoked about it, so I know they're getting a good, no compromises deal, and I know they wouldn't accept anything less than that. GiantBomb has been the bastion of journalistic integrity, and if Jeff, Ryan, Dave, Brad, Vinny, Alex and Drew are on board, I trust it. The only sad news to come of this is that there won't be much more interaction with Will Smith, Norm, Gary Whitta and Matt Rorie. :( But Tested is going on to great things, good for them. Feel so bad for Rorie though. If you're lucky, Dave and the TOP MEN will come and fix this broken-ass website.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

This thread is confusing. GiantBomb is still their own site, they aren't being absorbed into Gamespot or anything like that.

I guess if you consider being in the same building as some sort of corporate takeover.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I find it funny that you're making assumptions.

Jeff clearly stated on air that he was the one who said yes to talks with Gamespot and CBS. He could have said no.

The fact is Jeff never really wanted to leave Gamespot but crappy managers fired him. Those managers were fired a few months later because they were terrible at their jobs. By that time Jeff had Giantbomb up and running and were doing things.

Maybe this deal was worked out because Giantbomb wasn't 100% self sufficent anymore or maybe it was because Jeff saw an opportunity. From what I gather it's probably a bit of both. CBS has a ton of power and influence in the entertainment industry. Giantbomb is going to be a new part of that and will keep running like they always have. The difference now is that they'll have CBS backing them and they'll be given more resources to do what they do best.

To add to it, the Gamespot staff will now be working with the Giantbomb staff and I think GS will improve overall because of it. Jeff and crew are pretty much the heart and soul that was ripped from Gamespot back in 2007. Them being in the same building and working together is going to influence the Gamespot staff a lot I think. 

This is nothing but good news for all of us who follow game media. This will ensure that Giantbomb lives on and that it's going to be better than ever.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cherokee_Jack

because they set up Giantbomb in direct competition to Gamespot as a means of acting out against injustice.foxhound_fox

They really, really didn't. You have not been listening to them at all for the past few years if that's what you think.

Giant Bomb was never meant as some sort of big "f*ck you" to Gamespot. It was a place for them to cover games the way they wanted to, that's it.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

This thread is confusing. GiantBomb is still their own site, they aren't being absorbed into Gamespot or anything like that.

I guess if you consider being in the same building as some sort of corporate takeover.

Aljosa23

Eh, they may be separate for now, but it's hard to imagine CBS saying "Yep, running two similar gaming sites makes perfect sense. Let's continue to pay for more staff than we really need and deal with twice as much bullsh*t from advertisers" down the road.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Slow_Show

Eh, they may be separate for now, but it's hard to imagine CBS saying "Yep, running two similar gaming sites makes perfect sense. Let's continue to pay for more staff than we really need and deal with twice as much bullsh*t from advertisers" down the road.

They also own GameFAQs, and they still keep that seperate (aside from the horrible "merging-but-not-really-merging of the forums" bullsh*t)

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Cherokee_Jack
Eh, they may be separate for now, but it's hard to imagine CBS saying "Yep, running two similar gaming sites makes perfect sense. Let's continue to pay for more staff than we really need and deal with twice as much bullsh*t from advertisers" down the road.Slow_Show
Well, all that subscriber money Giant Bomb is bringing with them can't hurt.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

They also own GameFAQs, and they still keep that seperate (aside from the horrible "merging-but-not-really-merging of the forums" bullsh*t)Teufelhuhn

But GameFAQs is virtually all UGC, so all CBS has to worry about is the cost of keeping the site online. With GS and GB they're paying for two separate editorial staffs to produce interchangable content, and that's going to get the bean-counters' attention in a hurry. They might keep the GB site around for sh*ts and giggles (similar to GameFAQs and GamerRankings), but there's no way they continue to function as a completely separate site in the long run (they've already said there will be crossover content).

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5893785/yes-a-games-writer-was-fired-over-review-scores

Hopefully Insomniac wasn't involved with the ToD problem...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

I actually don't know if he even lives in the US, but I hope so because those guys collaborating would be dope.

Cherokee_Jack
He's in the UK I believe.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

nintendoboy16
He's in the UK I believe.

Well they need to bring him over here, he's like the only guy left at Gamespot who can talk on video without putting people to sleep.
Avatar image for CycleOfViolence
CycleOfViolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CycleOfViolence
Member since 2011 • 2813 Posts

Now there's a name I haven't heard in while.

Maybe this is coinsiding with the forum/union revival. Pretty soon they'll go back to the old review score system :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I just hope that the Mythbusters don't ruin Tested.com and that CBS doesn't try to sterilize Giant Bomb's content.

And that screened.com doens't get shut down.  Matt Rorie deserves better, he really got screwed in this deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I just hope that the Mythbusters don't ruin Tested.com and that CBS doesn't try to sterilize Giant Bomb's content.

And that screened.com doens't get shut down. Matt Rorie deserves better, he really got screwed in this deal.

Guppy507

lol too late for that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

[QUOTE="Guppy507"]

And that screened.com doens't get shut down. Matt Rorie deserves better, he really got screwed in this deal.

Aljosa23

lol too late for that.

Yeah, I hadn't seen the redesign yet.  My heart breaks for Will and Norm.

As long as I still get the podcast though.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 110million

Now there's a name I haven't heard in while.

Maybe this is coinsiding with the forum/union revival. Pretty soon they'll go back to the old review score system :P

CycleOfViolence

Except he was more active on Giantbomb than he ever was on GS.  

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cherokee_Jack
"Jamie and Adam Tested" is a huuuuuuuge bummer. I never thought it would be this gross. At some point the word Tested is going to completely disappear from that site, along with Will and Norm's faces.
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cook66

Wow. Tested is completely screwed over. How on earth do they think any fansof that site would be okay with this? Its will and norm that i come for,what the **** makes them think anyone will accept this?

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
Now all we need is GregK. GregK>>all.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 110million

Now all we need is GregK. GregK>>all.kage_53

Having Jeff come from another game site is much easier than having GregK come from a successful game company. :P 

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="kage_53"]Now all we need is GregK. GregK>>all.110million

Having Jeff come from another game site is much easier than having GregK come from a successful game company. :P

He visited the office the other day, actually. Hopefully he'll do a podcast with them.

But yeah, I don't think he's in a hurry to get out of game development after Bastion blew up like it did. Everyone wants to see what Supergiant does next.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 110million

He visited the office the other day, actually. Hopefully he'll do a podcast with them.

But yeah, I don't think he's in a hurry to get out of game development after Bastion blew up like it did. Everyone wants to see what Supergiant does next.

Cherokee_Jack

Greg does seem to keep in touch, he did that 12 hour Skyrim marathon on Giantbomb as well. It's still cool to see him pop in once in a while. Â