jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I've been playing Rage because that's what gamefly sent me. It's fun and all, but it's not a game with a lot of ideas. All the satisfaction comes from two things.

A: It's fun to kill things with the weapons in this game
B: The enemies are relatively fun to kill

Lame mission structure and lack of variety aside I had fun blasting things in this game. One can never oversell the ID Shotgun. Anyway most of the missions are super straight forward and sh1t. So at the end you're finally ready to TAKE it to the bad guys(typical fps stuff). Okey dokey, suddenly there is a new twist to an older enemy. Okay I can dig it, the bad guys got some new fodder for me to mess with. Oh man I bet they got some crazy ones later. HA!, sike.

The ending of the game gameplay wise has me in this like elevator room or whatever, I hit a button to start some computer crap, I gotta run around now and shoot some dudes while keeping myself alive long enough. This actually dragged longer than expected, but whatever. So far it's been a fun enough mission, and I'm sure they at least took like the big ass krackens and turned them into something nasty. Or those big douches with the cannon thing.

*ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED FOR BEATING THE GAME*

...wait...that's it?

cue cutscene, and that's it. That's the finale ID came up with for their game.

Some of you are going to say that doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Mass Effect 3's ending. That's true, but at least Mass Effect 3 attempted to have an ending or a general idea of escalation. This was just abrupt. This was like a basic routine gameplay scenario being turned into some finale part like I'm suppose to feel some level of intensity, and it's just not there. I mean Bungie's come up with better endings than this.

End Rant.

skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#2 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts

It's hard to think of games that actually have good endings. More often than not, a game will try one of three things, all of which equate to a sh*tty ending:

A stupid boss battle or setpiece (Bioshock/Uncharted 2/Gears of War 3)
No ending (Halo 2 and from the sounds of it, Rage)
Something that people don't expect, but ends up being totally f*cking retarded/rushed/nonsensical (Mass Effect 3)

None of these games are even necessarily bad, it just seems that game developers don't know how/when to end something. I think a lot of it stems from A) Wanting to leave things open for sequels and B) The notion that the finale has to be big and/or difficult, which ends up just being frustrating or unsatisfying. Obviously there are exceptions, but as a general rule I would say video games have bad endings

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's hard to think of games that actually have good endings. More often than not, a game will try one of three things, all of which equate to a sh*tty ending:

Something that people don't expect, but ends up being totally f*cking retarded/rushed/nonsensical (Mass Effect 3)

None of these games are even necessarily bad, it just seems that game developers don't know how/when to end something. I think a lot of it stems from A) Wanting to leave things open for sequels and B) The notion that the finale has to be big and/or difficult, which ends up just being frustrating or unsatisfying. Obviously there are exceptions, but as a general rule I would say video games have bad endings

skinny_man_69

Well said. Sequelization makes ending difficult, and not just in video games, but in movies and books as well.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]

jimkabrhel

Well said. Sequelization makes ending difficult, and not just in video games, but in movies and books as well.

There's also Trilogy Syndrome, where a game will have a conclusion, then the next game will have a cliffhanger because they don't order sequels anymore, they order trilogies.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

Shadow of the collosus, Flower, and Journey all have great endings.

(I played them all today)

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#6 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
You can also add Metal Gear Solid 3, which ended with a half hour long cutscene.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
Speaking of MGS...the epilogue of MGS4. :|
jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jechtshot78
You can also add Metal Gear Solid 3, which ended with a half hour long cutscene.SpinoRaptor24
Speaking of MGS...the epilogue of MGS4. :|Foolz3h
I hate you all.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

You can also add Metal Gear Solid 3, which ended with a half hour long cutscene.SpinoRaptor24
And MGS2 while you're at it. Real-life random footage of people walking around in NYC with snake giving a speech about how reality is really fiction while Raiden blubbers between sentences about 'what am i supposed to believe in!?' It was all very much 'the architect' in the Matrix 2.

This the ending to a game that you thought was about giant robots.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

Metal Gear Solid 3s endings actually had a lot of good points. Killing The Boss was a legitimately strong moment in the game, and the eve betrayel and what Boss really was were great. MGS 3 for all of Kojima's typical bad writing, regurgitated dialogue, and the buckets of crazy you tolerate with a MGS game. Is like the one time Kojima went out to tell a story within a videogame, and actually did a pretty good job all things considered.

2's ending is pure idiocy, and 4s ending would have been at least tolerable, until Big Boss shows up and spews his mountain of bullsh1t.

But while we're on the Metal Gear games the final gameplay segments in the Metal Gear games are great. The Fight with Solidus and The Boss are fantastic, and not really like anything else in the rest of the game. They feel like big moments in the game in terms of how they are presented, they play well, they stick out as something different, and from a pure gameplay perspective the send the game out on a high note(the Ocelot thing doesn't count in 3). In MGS 4 you have a pretty good microwave scene, and a rather clever boss fight in Ocelot that again sticks out as something fun and different from the rest of the stuff on the game. Admittedly it's almost entirely fun as fan service, but it gets the job done. MGS1s chase sequence probably doesn't hold up, but that games from 98.

My beef with Rage has nothing do with its story. Because besides the usual "lol videogame stories" the narrative sucks in this game. I never once cared for anything that happens in the game. It's so underdeveloped in so many ways. What sucks ass is that the final piece of gameplay in this game is so incredibly routine at that point in the game, and it's against an enemy type that is by far the game's weakest.What's worse is that the game doesn't have that many gameplay ideas as it is.

Say what you want about MGS, but it usually has a mixture of gameplay scenarios throughout the games.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

At least Arkham City and Infamous 2 were like "Man fvck trilogies we end our game here!"

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp
InFamous 2s evil ending was mad stupid.
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

InFamous 2s evil ending was mad stupid. jg4xchamp

Only the part where [spoiler] The beast chickens out. [/spoiler]

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jechtshot78

This the ending to a game that you thought was about giant robots.

Ninja-Hippo

Wrong. He is actually explaining about passing the torch to the next generation, and how to find meaning in it.

Proof you guys don't watch cutscenes.

At least Arkham City and Infamous 2 were like "Man fvck trilogies we end our game here!"

CJL13

AC has atleast 3 missions that allude to a sequel :P

InFamous 2s evil ending was mad stupid. jg4xchamp

Infamous 2's good and evil choices in general were stupid.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

CJL13

Considering Batman lore, there's plenty of room to make another Arkham game (although I prefer Rocksteady doing something different for now).

I don't think anything made me rage more than Fallout 3's initial ending. It drastically altered my overall opinion on the game.

I'm trying to think of a game this gen that carried a legitimately strong ending. The only one I can really think of is RDR.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

Castlevania Lords of Shadow had a dope ending.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
Rage ending sucked but I didn't care much for the plot.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ninja-Hippo
Speaking of crappy endings, what did folks think of Halo 3? I was psyched for it because everyone to have early access to the game said the ending was 'perfect' but personally i thought it kinda sucked. It seemed like a really lazy way to close it out, putting the entire covenant army in one location and then having that location blow up. I'm a natural hater though, so my opinion counts for nothing. Everything blows.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp
It's exactly what I dislike about Halo Reach(campaign wise). It fet like Bungie was circle jerking themselves for something they did way back when(in halo 1) instead of coming up with a new scenario.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It's exactly what I dislike about Halo Reach(campaign wise). It fet like Bungie was circle jerking themselves for something they did way back when(in halo 1) instead of coming up with a new scenario. jg4xchamp

Reach's ending was legitimately good, though. 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]It's exactly what I dislike about Halo Reach(campaign wise). It fet like Bungie was circle jerking themselves for something they did way back when(in halo 1) instead of coming up with a new scenario. DarkLink77

I mean the rest of the campaign. A lot of the missions/scenarios play out like missions/scenarios from the previous games. I mean nightfall couldn't try harder to be Truth and Reconciliation. Instead of being some mega halo game it was a tour de france of the "best missions" in the older halo games. Minus some of the high points. The ending on the other hand(which I agree is actually a good sequence) is one of the few moments in that game that strictly feels like something that was entirely Reach and not the games that came before it.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]It's exactly what I dislike about Halo Reach(campaign wise). It fet like Bungie was circle jerking themselves for something they did way back when(in halo 1) instead of coming up with a new scenario. jg4xchamp

I mean the rest of the campaign. A lot of the missions/scenarios play out like missions/scenarios from the previous games. I mean nightfall couldn't try harder to be Truth and Reconciliation. Instead of being some mega halo game it was a tour de france of the "best missions" in the older halo games. Minus some of the high points. The ending on the other hand(which I agree is actually a good sequence) is one of the few moments in that game that strictly feels like something that was entirely Reach and not the games that came before it.

Too true. Reach was basically Halo's greatest hits, but it didn't have a bad mission, and I enjoyed Pillar of Autumn and the "storm the beach, get in Longsword, get on cruiser, kill sh!t" mission, among others.

I just wish we'd had a Scarab fight. :( 

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]It's exactly what I dislike about Halo Reach(campaign wise). It fet like Bungie was circle jerking themselves for something they did way back when(in halo 1) instead of coming up with a new scenario. DarkLink77

Reach's ending was the worst if you've invested any time in the halo story at all. They completely re-wrote the whole backstory for thegame, which i always find irritating. I wouldn't mind that much, but their new, completely different story was inferior in every way to the awesome one that they retconned.

EDIT: story-wise i mean, the final gameplay sequence was great.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]It's exactly what I dislike about Halo Reach(campaign wise). It fet like Bungie was circle jerking themselves for something they did way back when(in halo 1) instead of coming up with a new scenario. Ninja-Hippo

Reach's ending was the worst if you've invested any time in the halo story at all. They completely re-wrote the whole backstory for thegame, which i always find irritating. I wouldn't mind that much, but their new, completely different story was inferior in every way to the awesome one that they retconned.

I've invested time into it (I have like all the books), but I don't really remember the difference. It's been a while. Mind refreshing my memory?
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jg4xchamp
I don't like how it feels like the jump to the halo ring was planned.

I liked the idea in CE back in 01 where it was a blind jump, and they just dumb lucked into the Halo rings. That and Cortana being some secret weapon savior for humanity was lame also. The entire campaign should have felt like a non stop losing session. While they went out of their way to try to convey that in cutscenes and back ground images it never feels like that in gameplay save the epilogue sequence.

But that epilogue sequence was way better from a gameplay perspective than the endings in Halo 2(the boss fight with tar tar sauce), Halo 3(oh look we took the halo 1 warthog run, except it's lamer), or ODST(another f*cking shooter gallery).
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

I've invested time into it (I have like all the books), but I don't really remember the difference. It's been a while. Mind refreshing my memory?

It's a very long and nerdy story, but the book's story was much better than the game's. It featured Reach as a massive military powerhouse which the covenant have to send wave after wave of ships at to break through, as well as a brand newly-formed group of the first ever Spartans on the ground defending the power stations which power the ring of defense guns surrounding the planet. Then at the end Chief is given cortana and the new shield system and is sent on a mission into space to fend off the covenant from a space station. He fails, the station is destroyed and the covenant have a hole which they can use to break through and kill the planet. This opposed to 'Hey, the covenant are on reach! er, somehow!'

The book was basically excellent at conveying the unstoppable covenant onslaught and it felt way more like a massive battle for the planet. Then it adds in the hope that the chief can save the planet now that he has this new fangled shield system and cortana, but he still fails, and the planet is doomed. In the game the covenant just turn up out of nowhere, you do a fairly effective job of kicking their ass but apparently you're losing the battle, everyone dies more or less randomly and then at the end cortana is apparently some sort of super weapon.

And on the pettier side, the game also messes with the time line and adds things that shouldn't be there; spartan IIIs, George should not exist, they shouldn't have shields, cortana was already with the chief at this point etc.