jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

HA TOLD YOU PATCHMASTER. Don't even hate the game. It was fun. Okay I do actually have a question. Why did some of you love it? By that I mean some of you like....really liked it. A lot.

I know that sounds weird, but when everyone was going over their year in review game stuff, this game came up a lot. So I feel like I'm missing something here(because I get that it's fun). Like the art and music are ****ing fantastic, and I'm not exactly in Dystopian's camp of hating the narrator, he's okay. And I like the weapon types and stuff.

But the combat is really simple, and not necessarily a bad thing. Just when it's coupled with the fact that fighting certain enemies was just meh(like those fat gas things, that would just spluge all over the place when you hit em) and the constant "Oh look boss fight type scenario where you fight mad em, with turret stuff being fired everywhere". For a good portion of the game it feels like it has no variety.

Plus the battering ram stuff is kind of wack, and maybe it's just me but I did not like the platforming part(might be because I was working on a mouse and keyboard, and that just felt awkward to me. It's probably fine on a gamepad).

Oh and those dream sequences(seriously **** dream sequences for life) are cancer in this game(thank god they are optional). That type of wave based enemy trial stuff is fine in like a game like Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden, where the combat kicks ass(and has more going for it), but in this game? Oh hell no.

....that sounds mad negative. But I had fun with the game overall. The power ups make the weapons feel stronger as you go, the canon stuff was legit, story telling was really cool(minus the fact that some of the cool stuff require me to deal with the dreams), and I love the soundtrack. So yeah my thoughts.

Shut up Patch you terrible Bostonian douche, I liked the game.

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Thoughts? It was one of my favorite games last year. The artstyle was charming, the combat and upgrade systems was simple and easy to pick up, the soundtrack was awesome, and the story was surprisingly poignant.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I thought it was great. I did like most of the weapons and there were times when the game was challenging. I enjoyed the endings.

It also helps that the soundtrack and art was amazing.

But yeah it's not perfect. I'm usually not a fan of the isometric view in games like this, esspcially at the end with the platforming parts.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I love it because I feel the end result is more than the sum of the parts.

There is so much charm, excellent storytelling, amazing visuals, and great music. It's just probably the best gaming experience $15 bought me.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

To be fair, I didn't think you'd HATE it. I just knew you'd find a way to criticize the hell out of it.

Point proven :cool:

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I love it for all the reasons you mentioned.  Good storytelling in games is hard to come by, good pacing, good progression, great art, great music, etc.

Combat could've been better, but w/e.  Isometric action-oriented combat doesn't really get much better.  inb4diablo

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I think it's similar to World of Goo -- there's nothing there that comes out and really grabs you, but the more time you spend with it the more you come to realize how well executed everything is.

bc1391

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bc1391
Member since 2004 • 11906 Posts
I never gave it my full attention but I liked the 15 minutes I played of it.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#9 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts
It's an awesome game with an awesome narrator.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The dynamic narration was the best part for me. Also, the mythos was extremely unique. The combat was simple yet solid. For a XBLA "art" game, I thought it was awesome. Not worth more than I paid.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
Given the length of the game I think the simple combat was more than bearable. The narration was not, though.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#12 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Champ pretty much covered what the basedgod was going to give the game its credit for.

Basedgod likes Bastion. The basedgod came to appreciate it alot more after playing the rather compelling New Game+, with all the tools and idols available to ramp up the difficulty and add abit more variety. Though, the basedgod did feel that Bastion could have expanded on its twin stick elements (there was a lock on with the controller) and maybe even built on some of the bullet-hell scenarios it presented on rare occasions.

What the basedgod didnt like was the constant blurring and/or obstruction of the sprite models behind the environment and the health vials in the back end of the game were way too abundant.

The narration was not, though.Foolz3h
The Basedgod does not approve of Tom Towers right now.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
I played the game on a keyboard so no lock on for me. But the platforming part was so annoying with it(but I just assumed it was fine on a gamepad, and I'm just not used to a platformer on a keyboard). Personally the game kind of lacked variety personally. A lot of the enemy types essentially did similar stuff, and the levels themselves didn't really add any major new obstacles. Save like a runaway platform in one sequence, and the bulls in a later part. I liked the new game plus stuff though. Being able to cannon through the opening stuff is funny.