Zelda and Halo have a lot in common

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

So I was just playing through Zelda TP yesterday, shortly after playing Halo 3 for the first time... and that got me thinking about something. If somebody told me that Halo and Zelda were really developed by one uber-company, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. The two games have a lot in common... at least, there are things I've noticed:

• Storyline that's serious enough to be entertaining, but not overly pretentious or "mature"
  • Very clean, artistic graphics style that isn't all that great technically but still looks nice
  • Interactivity - you can interact with a lot of different objects in the environment, enhancing gameplay, but not everything
  • Random touches of detail that make you go "hey, that's cool" when you see them
  • The overall feel of the game - it feels epic, but also sort of bright and bouncy
I'm not saying that the games are similar; it's just that I think that if Bungie was told to make a more kid-friendly action-adventure game, it would be a lot like Zelda, and if the folks at whatever division of Nintendo were told to make an M-rated FPS, it would have a lot in common with Halo. You know what I mean? The studios just have the same sort of "magical touch."

Anyone have anything else they see in common between the two games? Comments? Flaming? (most likely)
jesse1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jesse1314
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Yah, I kinda know what you are trying to say, they are a like but not the same, both are REALLY excellent games.
dingo_451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dingo_451
Member since 2006 • 574 Posts

Legendary heroes clad in green, check.

Some kind of untold power at stake, check.

Excellent and varied weapon selection, check.

some of the best games ever to be released, Check and check.

Yea, theyve got a good few similarities.

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

So I was just playing through Zelda TP yesterday, shortly after playing Halo 3 for the first time... and that got me thinking about something. If somebody told me that Halo and Zelda were really developed by one uber-company, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. The two games have a lot in common... at least, there are things I've noticed:

• Storyline that's serious enough to be entertaining, but not overly pretentious or "mature"
  • Very clean, artistic graphics style that isn't all that great technically but still looks nice
  • Interactivity - you can interact with a lot of different objects in the environment, enhancing gameplay, but not everything
  • Random touches of detail that make you go "hey, that's cool" when you see them
  • The overall feel of the game - it feels epic, but also sort of bright and bouncy

I'm not saying that the games are similar; it's just that I think that if Bungie was told to make a more kid-friendly action-adventure game, it would be a lot like Zelda, and if the folks at whatever division of Nintendo were told to make an M-rated FPS, it would have a lot in common with Halo. You know what I mean? The studios just have the same sort of "magical touch."

Anyone have anything else they see in common between the two games? Comments? Flaming? (most likely)Funkyhamster

No cause Zelda actully has good games but Halo doesn't.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Hmmm....

- They are both videogames
- can play them both with a controller
- they are both on a console
- You buy them both through retail
- They are both big name franchises for their systems

.....that's pretty much where the similairities end for me.

and if the folks at whatever division of Nintendo were told to make an M-rated FPS, it would have a lot in common with Halo.Funkyhamster

I have to heavily disagree.

If the folks at Nintendo where told to make an M-rated FPS, I have a feeling it would have a LOT more in common with this game then it would ever have with Halo.

tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts

Hmmm....

- They are both videogames
- can play them both with a controller
- they are both on a console
- You buy them both through retail
- They are both big name franchises for their systems

.....that's pretty much where the similairities end for me.

[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"] and if the folks at whatever division of Nintendo were told to make an M-rated FPS, it would have a lot in common with Halo.Robnyc22

If the folks at Nintendo where told to make an M-rated FPS, I have a feeling it would have a LOT more in common with this game then it would ever have with Halo.

Geist says hi. (Nintendos M rated FPS)
Haloforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Haloforce
Member since 2002 • 1245 Posts

(uh oh A guy with Halo in his name!!)

I think I'd have to agree.

Both series of games are very well produced, and they have something that most games don't have. Polish.

Fault them if you will, but no one can ever fault a "glitch" or a control flaw or anything along these lines. They are always completely playable.

I know we are comparing apples and oranges here, but we are comparing very GOOD apples and Oranges. Now lets all go have some fruit salad and play Halo 3 online.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

Robnyc22

MP is made by Retro, not Nintendo... and MP is meant to be like the older Metroid games in 3d, so it has a Zelda-type progression to it (because the original Metroid games had the same sort of feel with the items opening up new areas as Zelda did), but the overall feel of the game is a lot different from most Nintendo-made games.

And funny that you mentioned Geist tman... when I played Geist I thought it felt a lot like a less polished version of Halo (coincidentally, Nintendo didn't develop the game, but Miyamoto had a lot to do with its design).

newhenpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 newhenpal
Member since 2005 • 2159 Posts
I'm sorry but know, why do people pretend like 'epic' is a brand new scientific breakthrough, it's been done in like 50% of all games, and the others you've mentioned have been done MILLIONS of times before, their basically staples of most games Fundamental you may even say. It's like saying elementary school and law school have alot in common because you get educated and it has humans being tought :?
Ellimist314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Ellimist314
Member since 2007 • 1375 Posts
They are both one of the best known franchises from Nintendo and Microsoft.
Out_Kast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Out_Kast3000
Member since 2007 • 358 Posts
[QUOTE="Funkyhamster"]

Storyline that's serious enough to be entertaining, but not overly pretentious or "mature"Very clean, artistic graphics style that isn't all that great technically but still looks niceInteractivity - you can interact with a lot of different objects in the environment, enhancing gameplay, but not everythingRandom touches of detail that make you go "hey, that's cool" when you see themThe overall feel of the game - it feels epic, but also sort of bright and bouncy

Anyone have anything else they see in common between the two games? Comments? Flaming? (most likely)Grantelicious

Basically. Halo is the most overrated franchiise ever.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
I'll buy that. They do have the same kind of feel, in an odd way.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

MP is made by Retro, not Nintendo...Funkyhamster

Nintendo owns Retro. Retro is now another of Nintendo's in-house development teams.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

Both are successful francises

Both have a really annoying fanbase who whould fight to death for these games...;)

Both have a kind of "own" gameplay.You play it and you can say "hey,that´a HALO" or "hey,that´sa Zelda"

But there´s a difference exept the genre *already puts out the Flame Shield* Zelda whould be unimportant today without it´s history and whouldn´t work today.Don´t get me wrong MegaMan shares the same fate,and I´m a big fan,even if it lacks like Zelda of innovation that much that I wonder why I still love these games...

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m0zart

But there´s a difference exept the genre *already puts out the Flame Shield* Zelda whould be unimportant today without it´s history and whouldn´t work today.Don´t get me wrong MegaMan shares the same fate,and I´m a big fan,even if it lacks like Zelda of innovation that much that I wonder why I still love these games...Ash2X

Hehe, well if what you said did start a flame war, I don't think you would have any right to be surprised. It's easy to interpret your statement as a flame itself. If I said the same thing about Halo as you said about Zelda, I think it would beeasily considered flame material. Halo is a very advanced FPS from the perspective of many, and FPS is a genre that started in the true 3D realm not all that long after Zelda games. Zelda games of today are similarly advanced forms of what was released in times past. Both work today. I don't think there'sreason to think that Zelda games wouldn't work today were it not for the name attached to them. A good name and history hasn't saved other franchises from demise, and certainly from a gameplay perspective, Zelda's gameplay formulastill works remarkably well today.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ash2X

[QUOTE="Ash2X"]But there´s a difference exept the genre *already puts out the Flame Shield* Zelda whould be unimportant today without it´s history and whouldn´t work today.Don´t get me wrong MegaMan shares the same fate,and I´m a big fan,even if it lacks like Zelda of innovation that much that I wonder why I still love these games...m0zart

Hehe, well if what you said did start a flame war, I don't think you would have any right to be surprised. It's easy to interpret your statement as a flame itself. If I said the same thing about Halo as you said about Zelda, I think it would beeasily considered flame material. Halo is a very advanced FPS from the perspective of many, and FPS is a genre that started in the true 3D realm not all that long after Zelda games. Zelda games of today are similarly advanced forms of what was released in times past. Both work today. I don't think there'sreason to think that Zelda games wouldn't work today were it not for the name attached to them. A good name and history hasn't saved other franchises from demise, and certainly from a gameplay perspective, Zelda's gameplay formulastill works remarkably well today.

Well,you cold say that Halo,like FF7 just came at the right time for the right system.Zelda did too(the last scream of a dying system).That´s the main reason anyone still talks about.None of them had been bad,but it´s not like any of them was innovative at any point.Everyone still treats them like that,but thats because they don´t have much of a clue,or just too young to know.A self-regenerating health-bar,the same plain old stuff (including the stupid puzzles)in 3D or nice looking 2D backgrounds and a bunch of cutscenes aren´t a revolution to me...they are all just hyped to death,ignoring that a bunch of much better games came out before.It always happens and I don´t blame people for overhyping anymore.But I think that commercial success is a reason to hype a game and treat other games like they don´t exist.

The reason why Halo whould still work is simple: It´s a good FPS and PC-Freaks with a console love FPS.While Zelda is totally stuck in his formula for too many years FPS didn´t go further much,but they did thanks to graphical improvements.Don´t get me wrong,I don´t say that FPS are better but at least they changed.Zelda for example is almost the last real classic Action-Adventure and I respect it for that,but I usually don´t like the old ones (I love newer with a motivating EXP-system,Okami was a exeption,that was totally unique) that much.Of course it depends on personal taste,but giving people that same thing again and again without making anything really new and still getting hyped as a revolution sounds like pretty stupid to me.

Something both have in common : They will never been seen on the same system :P

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

Seems like someone was grasping at straws

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 m0zart

Well,you cold say that Halo,like FF7 just came at the right time for the right system.Zelda did too(the last scream of a dying system).That´s the main reason anyone still talks about.None of them had been bad,but it´s not like any of them was innovative at any point.Ash2X

Well someone could say that yes, but I wouldn't agree with that. FF7 was a pretty interesting reworking of the traditional FF formula. I am not a fan of the series or of JRPGs in general, but it took the series in a new direction that is still influencing it today. Zelda has always been a system-seller for Nintendo, not just for the dying N64, and it is because the gameplay is so remarkable. It was remarkable for a system which wasn't dying as well as for one which was.

Everyone still treats them like that,but thats because they don´t have much of a clue,or just too young to know.Ash2X

I am 36 years old. My first system was the Magnavox Odyssey, released in the early '70s. I have been playing games almost non-stop from that time. I don't think I was too young to count my impression of the various Zelda games as remarkably high based on what I had seen up to that time on consoles. And each new Zelda game up to the N64 brands also seemed to push things forward in significant ways. I can't say that for the Zelda games on the Gamecube, but I can say it for Zelda games up to that point on every system except for the CD-i.

A self-regenerating health-bar,the same plain old stuff (including the stupid puzzles)in 3D or nice looking 2D backgrounds and a bunch of cutscenes aren´t a revolution to me...they are all just hyped to death,ignoring that a bunch of much better games came out before.It always happens and I don´t blame people for overhyping anymore.But I think that commercial success is a reason to hype a game and treat other games like they don´t exist.Ash2X

Not every game that has heavy post-hype built on it was a commercial success. How do you explain games like Psychonauts? Eternal Darkness?

But this isn't supposed to be about hype per se, but quality. Zelda and Metroid were two series that changed the way I viewed gaming back in the '80s. Up to that time, home consoles were largely just trying to emulate arcade experiences with just a few exceptions (such as Adventure on the Atari 2600). I purchased the NES primarily because it was a system that looked stellar in comparison with graphics and sound in arcades, but I quickly realized with Zelda and Metroid that it was capable of an experience that both the arcades and other consoles couldn't reasonably provide. I had a lot of expectations with each new Zelda game, and none of them up to the Gamecube failed to meet them. In fact, it was Ocarina of Time that showed me how a good classic series could be remarkably translated into the 3D-space. Its level of polish was so high and its realization of a 3D world was so accessible, that I wouldn't be able to call it anything other than revolutionary.

The reason why Halo whould still work is simple: It´s a good FPS and PC-Freaks with a console love FPS.While Zelda is totally stuck in his formula for too many years FPS didn´t go further much,but they did thanks to graphical improvements.Ash2X

This is a prime example of what I was saying above -- if graphical improvements are what you were after, then Ocarina of Time was clearly a superior presentation to the Zelda formula up to that point. It wasn't just graphical improvements though. The game served as an overall blueprint for other games in the action-adventure genre to make the transition to 3D.

Don´t get me wrong,I don´t say that FPS are better but at least they changed.Zelda for example is almost the last real classic Action-Adventure and I respect it for that,but I usually don´t like the old ones (I love newer with a motivating EXP-system,Okami was a exeption,that was totally unique) that much.Of course it depends on personal taste,but giving people that same thing again and again without making anything really new and still getting hyped as a revolution sounds like pretty stupid to me.Ash2X

I think what is coming out of this is that you are a classic FPS fan and not a classic action-adventure fan. Nothing wrong with that per se, but you've allowed it to cloud your judgement here significantly to the point that you haven't been able to make a fair comparison. It isn't just that you accuse the series of not advancing that leads me to say this, but that you accuse the system of not being viable today -- as if it wouldn't be a sellable gaming formula if it didn't have the Zelda name attached.

Notice how you have been comparing a single series, namely Zelda, against the whole of the FPS genre, not just Halo, without recognizing outside of a last-minute mention that action-adventure games are their own genre, and that Zelda has been an almost consistent standards-bearer for that genre. If "Zelda" doesn't work today without the name, then much of what we know as action-adventure doesn't work today. In your mind, maybe this seems true, but not all of us are in your mind. Zelda has been a standards-bearer for that genre, but it is certainly not the only game in the genre. It isn't just "hype" that drives action-adventure gamers to buy Zelda games, as if they were somehow more prone to hype than FPS fans are and thus (as you are implying) that part of their brains which is able to discern quality shuts off when they see the "Zelda" name. It is the consistent quality of the games in the Zelda series that keep it viable.

Let me give you some of my honest perspective as someone who sees things somewhat the opposite of you as far as personal tastes go. I can completely admit that I am not a fan of FPS with a few exceptions that relate to your exceptions listed in the action-adventure world, but I don't allow that to cloud my judgement into thinking that Halo 3 is an overrated game or that Halo is an overrated series. Halo clearly hit a nerve among gamers, so much so that many were willing to BUY A SYSTEM just for that game and/or its sequel alone.It's a polished game, and it likely deserves the praise heaped on it, my generalized disinterest in the genre aside. If I came on a list today and said "Halo 3 wouldn't work as a game without the Halo named attached to it", I would expect knowledgeableforumites to consider that to be an absurd statement and counter me on it.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#21 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
Welll... I had other descriptions on what they had in common, but I prefer to be an optimist instead of a pessimist.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ash2X

M0zart I respect you,you have a clue about what you saying,though I have to say that I never really compared a FPS to a Action-Adventure.Zelda dor a certain point raised the level of the Acion-Adventure before the N64,but it was pretty useless after that.Why?Because the level of challenge (Puzzles for example)had been extremely weak...that includes Zelda 3 too,and even without a real Storyline it was a success.Why?Because of the name.The N64 part wasn´t really good so I skipped it...I played a few hours,it was pretty uninteresting.It was Zelda 3 with a horse,but sold awesome.Because of the name.Zelda WW was a good game,but not what it meant to be,even it was nice,it had more then serious flaws.It got ratings around 90-100%.Why because of the name.Zelda TP....well you know what I mean.

Zelda was arevolution back then that´s for shure,but if Zelda TP had come out under another name not many had cared.It whould happen to many other games too,but in case of Zelda it really needs innovation badly.But the people want the same stuff again and again and pay for it,so Nintendo don´t need to do anything.Because of the name.That Zelda WW was bad because of some points for example is today a common thing...but only after TP came out.Because of the Name.And nobody wants dirt on it,equal if true or untrue.

BTW You played the CD-I Zelda too?...was the same as the Mario-game which was a bad thing too XD.I forgot to mentin that the 2D Zeldas are still great games.But the 3D ones are just cheap,or at least what I experienced.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 m0zart

Why?Because the level of challenge (Puzzles for example)had been extremely weak...that includes Zelda 3 too,and even without a real Storyline it was a success.Why?Because of the name.Ash2X

No. It was because of the gameplay -- the only really important thing in a game. The puzzles in almost every game in existence are weaker now than they were in the old days, but they are still somewhat challenging. The goal however in a Zelda game isn't to present a huge challenge, but to provide an enjoyable experience. Part of it is the mental trickery of making us feel we are smart when we solve a puzzle. But it's no less justified than the mental trickery of making us feel tough and skilled when we single handedly off a bunch of bad guys in an FPS.

The N64 part wasn´t really good so I skipped it...I played a few hours,it was pretty uninteresting.It was Zelda 3 with a horse,but sold awesome.Because of the name.Zelda WW was a good game,but not what it meant to be,even it was nice,it had more then serious flaws.It got ratings around 90-100%.Why because of the name.Zelda TP....well you know what I mean.Ash2X

You are losing me here for sure. Ocarina of Time got high ratings because it was a fantastic game. Sure it wasn't *your* game. I went into Ocarina of Time like I did Metroid Prime -- very very cautiously. I really didn't care for most 3D games at the time. That I was impressed by how well the AA and Zelda formula had been translated into 3D says something not about the name but the skill of the developers involved in that game. It was so much more than Zelda with a horse -- it was Zelda fully realized as much as possible for that time.

BTW You played the CD-I Zelda too?...was the same as the Mario-game which was a bad thing too XD.I forgot to mentin that the 2D Zeldas are still great games.But the 3D ones are just cheap,or at least what I experienced.Ash2X

I played the CD-i Zeldas -- wrote trashing reviews on two of them. But back to my point -- I also played the 3D ones. I definitely think the latter are revolutionary for their time, especially the two N64 titles.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Grantelicious

Far be it from me to call an opinion wrong, but in this case, well.............

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

MarcusAntonius

Far be it from me to call an opinion wrong, but in this case, well.............

Yup.