Your worst legacy purchase?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 0

#1 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

remember when you were a kid, and you'd cut lawns and do extra chores, save your allowance for weeks, maybe the entire summer, just to buy a game or two?

and then you picked a game that just stunk?

share your story/game

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

The Nintendo Power Glove. I used it about 4 times and then tossed it into a box where it still sits all these years later. Complete waste of cash.

Pegalamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pegalamp
Member since 2011 • 600 Posts

The Nintendo Power Glove. I used it about 4 times and then tossed it into a box where it still sits all these years later. Complete waste of cash.

kittensRjerks

Not exactly a game but ok. Mario 64. It was repetitive, Lazy in some areas, and very empty open areas that are in most cases just linear as they go in the same direction. There are exceptions. Terrible controls too for every other thing in the game except movement. Also has really boring boss battle (that have terrible scripts. The Boss' that is.)

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

no one lives forever ps2, x-men legends,Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

"Basic Programming" on the 2600 (I was programming on a 286 at the time and i thought it was a novel idea - Yeeeeaaahhhh, Mmm-Hm. It was the early 80s)

"E.T." on the 2600

"SwordQuest: Earthworld" on the 2600

That was a different time... We didn't have a very established gaming press, and reviews of Atari 2600 games were non-existent for the most part. In order to find the good games, someone in your circle had to walk the plank and buy a copy. The funny adendum to this story is that I bought the Atari 2600 collections for my DS so that I could try them again now that I'm older and less intoxicated all the time. And they still stink.

:lol:

So I've purchased them twice. Guess I'm older and more sober, but still as dumb as a rock!

(In my defense, there ARE some great games on those collections, too, and that's primarily what I bought the collections for to be truthful. But the stinkers are there with 'em and they still stink.)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

the worst would be accidentaly buying (don't ask) Die Hard Trilogy on the Saturn.

I wanted the PS1 version , but ended up with the Saturn version.

all I have to say is , "Oh dear, this is horrid"

Dragon Ball Z : Idainaru Densetsu is another one, I regret spending £10 on it, though at least I sold it and got most of that back

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

My N64, Sega CD, and Atari 2600. Through these 3 systems I have learned that video game collecting is far too expensive of a hobby to just collect for collecting's sakes. I now only buy games/systems that I know or at least think I'll truly enjoy.

I bought my N64 because I wanted to see what I missed out on during that generation. During the time I had a PS1 and then a Dreamcast. So I never had an N64. I bought all the recommended games like Super Mario 64, the Zeldas, Goldeneye: 007, and others. But I was unimpressed by the games and just plain hate the controller. I'm contemplating selling my whole N64 collection.

My Atari 2600 I bought because I wanted to have something from that early era of home consoles, and Atari 2600 was the cheapest and most readily available option. It also seemed to sport the largest library. So my intentions were good. I bought a huge lot for cheap on eBay that came with nealry 40 games already bundled with the console. Great deal. But once I got it hooked up and started playing it, man was I disappointed. The sounds that come from this thing are unholy, they grate on your soul with their terrible squeaks, blips, and screeches. And the joystick is the stiffest most uncooperative thing I have ever used in gaming. I simply use my Genesis controller (which is fully compatible without any modification, suprisingly) when I actually play it. The games are also a complaint I have, but not as much as the my first two complaints. The games are such a far cry from their arcade counterparts it's ridiculous. I don't mean like later arcade ports. This more than just a few cut corners here and there to make it fit on the cartridge. Often times they barely resemble their arcade counterparts. There are exceptions however, and even a handful of decent exclusives for the Atari 2600, but not many that I've run across. I'm also contemplating selling my entire Atari 2600 collection.

Sega CD I bought as a novelty. It was one of those things I had heard about and read about as a kid but I never actually got my hands on one. Well I finally did a few years back. And it was far too late for me. By this time, most of the good games had become outrageously priced collectors items. And those outrageously priced games were good but not good enough to warrant those prices. There were some good affordable games on it, but a good majority of them were Genesis ports. The ones that were affordable and weren't Genesis ports ranged from alright to downright horrible. Sonic CD is the one being the big exception here. It is an excellent game that is exclusive to Sega CD and it's quite affordable. But lucky for me it's also available on Sonic Gems Collection for Gamecube. I already have sold my Sega CD.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts

ESPN winter sports on Xbox. The most mediocre game I've ever played. Bad graphics, dull gameplay, awkward controls, vomit.

Also NGEN Racing, a boring and difficult aeroplane racing game, and Coolboarders 2, which sucked more than 1080 on N64. They're getting traded in at the next oppurtunity.

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
something i've never told anyone, when i was like 7 i traded ocarina of time for superman64. it started out as a friendly borrow, but i never saw the dude again and my childhood was forever scarred.
bradlbauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bradlbauer
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

all of my sorrow and pity.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkman2007
something i've never told anyone, when i was like 7 i traded ocarina of time for superman64. it started out as a friendly borrow, but i never saw the dude again and my childhood was forever scarred.tab134
you poor soul. Ive played Superman 64 , its a horrid contraption I believe was created as a means of torture.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Even though I was a hardcore Sega man, my worst legacy purchase was the Sega Saturn. I was one of those fools who bought it at launch for 400 bucks(that's still alot of money even by today's standards)The whole systems launch was a failure from start to finish, it ultimately was the system that doomed sega in the hardware business.

The Dreamcast had more then made up for the Saturn disaster but it came a little to late because the public had lost faith in sega....plus the PS1 had just came on the scence....the rest is history.

Masamune_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Masamune_Wolf
Member since 2011 • 108 Posts

I vote for "Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage" on the SNES. I am a HUGE Spider-Man fan so the purchase made sense. I definitely love the red cartridge (that was a nice touch), but I just didn't like the game. It didn't look very good, it was repetitive, and just a disappointment in my opinion. The other one has to be "Tail of the Sun" for the PS1. I don't know what I was thinking on that one:P

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MarcRecon

[QUOTE="tab134"]something i've never told anyone, when i was like 7 i traded ocarina of time for superman64. it started out as a friendly borrow, but i never saw the dude again and my childhood was forever scarred.Darkman2007
you poor soul. Ive played Superman 64 , its a horrid contraption I believe was created as a means of torture.

:lol:...dude that made my day....thank you.:)

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
you poor soul.Darkman2007
i also had die hard trilogy for the saturn. i remember i got my parents to ebay it for me because i didn't have a ps1 at the time.the best third of the game was basicly unplayable.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]you poor soul.tab134
i also had die hard trilogy for the saturn. i remember i got my parents to ebay it for me because i didn't have a ps1 at the time.the best third of the game was basicly unplayable.

sadly its an example of a bad PS to Saturn port. Die Hard Arcade, which was a Saturn exclusive, wipes the floor with Die Hard Trilogy. then again I did end up playing the PS version later and didn't find it that great
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MarcRecon

My N64, Sega CD, and Atari 2600. Through these 3 systems I have learned that video game collecting is far too expensive of a hobby to just collect for collecting's sakes. I now only buy games/systems that I know or at least think I'll truly enjoy.

I bought my N64 because I wanted to see what I missed out on during that generation. During the time I had a PS1 and then a Dreamcast. So I never had an N64. I bought all the recommended games like Super Mario 64, the Zeldas, Goldeneye: 007, and others. But I was unimpressed by the games and just plain hate the controller. I'm contemplating selling my whole N64 collection.

My Atari 2600 I bought because I wanted to have something from that early era of home consoles, and Atari 2600 was the cheapest and most readily available option. It also seemed to sport the largest library. So my intentions were good. I bought a huge lot for cheap on eBay that came with nealry 40 games already bundled with the console. Great deal. But once I got it hooked up and started playing it, man was I disappointed. The sounds that come from this thing are unholy, they grate on your soul with their terrible squeaks, blips, and screeches. And the joystick is the stiffest most uncooperative thing I have ever used in gaming. I simply use my Genesis controller (which is fully compatible without any modification, suprisingly) when I actually play it. The games are also a complaint I have, but not as much as the my first two complaints. The games are such a far cry from their arcade counterparts it's ridiculous. I don't mean like later arcade ports. This more than just a few cut corners here and there to make it fit on the cartridge. Often times they barely resemble their arcade counterparts. There are exceptions however, and even a handful of decent exclusives for the Atari 2600, but not many that I've run across. I'm also contemplating selling my entire Atari 2600 collection.

Sega CD I bought as a novelty. It was one of those things I had heard about and read about as a kid but I never actually got my hands on one. Well I finally did a few years back. And it was far too late for me. By this time, most of the good games had become outrageously priced collectors items. And those outrageously priced games were good but not good enough to warrant those prices. There were some good affordable games on it, but a good majority of them were Genesis ports. The ones that were affordable and weren't Genesis ports ranged from alright to downright horrible. Sonic CD is the one being the big exception here. It is an excellent game that is exclusive to Sega CD and it's quite affordable. But lucky for me it's also available on Sonic Gems Collection for Gamecube. I already have sold my Sega CD.

Emerald_Warrior

Oh yeah, the Sega CD...my 2nd worst purchase. Even after all these years I'm still in awe of one of the stupidest things I ever did.

T-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 T-Prime
Member since 2003 • 995 Posts

I had a relatively bad game-free childhood. Sure, I'd rent bad ones but whenever I convinced my parents to buy me a game it was usually because I knew it was good. The closest thing I can think of is that I wasn't a big fan of South Park on the N64, and that was mostly because I'd (stupidly) read up on the PC version, which had so many other features and cheats and whatnot. I eventually sold it to a friend a few years later, which in hindsight may have sparked my short-lived trade-in bug that resulted in getting rid of a lot of games only to desperately track them down again years later at higher prices. Live and learn, right? :P

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

knight rider for nes terrible game i took because i liked supercar tv series

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Believe it or not, but I'm going to say the PS2. I picked it up after getting a Gamecube and Xbox, and the ps2 just didn't offer much imo. A lot of games, but none of them really measured up to the best the other two consoles had to offer--EXCEPT for Snake EAter.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
Zelda Majora's Mask... GAH! Don't flame me, but I hated this friggin game!
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I'd have to say Batman Returns for Atari Lynx. Horrible game. I think it was 1 of 3 Atari Lynx games that I bought new (for like $40). I have a bunch of other Lynx games that I bought used for $1-10 each and there are good and bad, but Batman returns is the worst.

I also have some other really bad games in my collection (mostly NES and 32x games) but at least those I bought for less than $10 each. sometimes games are just good to collect, but not play. but the majority of my collection are games that I actually enjoy playing.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#23 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

I've bought a lot of bad games but the one that sticks out for some reason is Prehistorik for the Amiga.

I paid $50.00 and never really liked it or played it.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I don't think I ever actually bought a game that I didn't enjoy. I guess I was always a well informed kid when it came to buying video games. Actually... I did buy Rogue Galaxy after hearing good things about it and then disliking it. So yeah, I guess that counts.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Lebacy game: Albert Odyssey: ...very boring RPG IMO Worst game when it was current: hard to say, been quite a few
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

kittensRjerks

I can't complain about mine since I paid $14 for it last year and modified it into a 3300kv stun gun. But if you actually bought it back in the day, for purposes other than the novelty of the worst peripheral ever, then... You win this thread. :lol:

As for my worst legacy purchase: It's a toss-up between Devil May Cry 2 and Rule of Rose.

Even though I was a hardcore Sega man, my worst legacy purchase was the Sega Saturn.

MarcRecon

I take it you never imported anything for it?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Is Devil May Cry 2 really THAT bad. I did not buy it at the time b/c of the reviews. But now a part of me wants to at least try it (having beat all the other games)
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Is Devil May Cry 2 really THAT bad. I did not buy it at the time b/c of the reviews. But now a part of me wants to at least try it (having beat all the other games)

It's bad but not unplayable. Give it a run if your a DMC fan.
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pills4louis

Is Devil May Cry 2 really THAT bad. I did not buy it at the time b/c of the reviews. But now a part of me wants to at least try it (having beat all the other games)rawsavon
It deserved the 6.4 score that it got here... It's bland yet tolerable as a stand-alone action game, but abysmal as a sequel.

ultramega9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ultramega9
Member since 2006 • 178 Posts

Gamecube mic with Odama.

I payed 30$ just to play a bad pinball game.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

When I bought Teras Kasi (worst fighting game ever) for the PS1. I still can't get over it...

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I feel into the hype of everyone talking about it in 9th grade and I just couldn't get into it.

KilleRotom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 KilleRotom
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I wasted 8$ on Hook for the NES! The game was so AWFUL that I almost threw it in the trash bin
Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#34 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

Shadow the Hedgehog. I can't believe I blew $40+ on that suck-fest.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I wasted 8$ on Hook for the NES! The game was so AWFUL that I almost threw it in the trash binKilleRotom

I've never played the NES version. But I own the SNES version and I found it to be a fantastic, albeit short, action-platformer.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

The Neo*Geo CD. Such a poor built system.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pills4louis

Panzer_Zwei

http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/masterlist.html

...I honestly don't see how someone could dislike a system with a library like that unless they just don't like fighting games, shmups, run-n-guns, beat-em-ups, puzzle games, or other arcade-styIe games.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I've played Superman 64 , its a horrid contraption I believe was created as a means of torture.Darkman2007

Bought the game back when it was fairly new in '99. And I actually beat it. No lie. And yes it is horrendous. Funny thing is I bought OoT along with it. Same day.

As for worst purchase, I'd say Superman 64 and Batman Forever on the Saturn.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

pills4louis

http://www.egameaddiction.com/neogeocd/masterlist.html

...I honestly don't see how someone could dislike a system with a library like that unless they just don't like fighting games, shmups, run-n-guns, beat-em-ups, puzzle games, or other arcade-styIe games.

to be fair he wasn't complaining about the games, more just the build quality, which may well be the case, since Ive never played a Neo CD.
KilleRotom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 KilleRotom
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="KilleRotom"]I wasted 8$ on Hook for the NES! The game was so AWFUL that I almost threw it in the trash binEmerald_Warrior

I've never played the NES version. But I own the SNES version and I found it to be a fantastic, albeit short, action-platformer.

The NES version is an awful platformer with bad music, crappy controls and a GOD-AWFUL! hit detection. And yes, the SNES version is FAAAAAAAAAAR superior
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
The Neo Geo Pocket Color, sure it had the first Capcom vs SNK game ever, but the system died nearly overnight and it was nearly impossible to find retailers that carried the games for it after that.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

offshoot Resident Evil games: I purchased RE: Deadaim and RE: Outbreak for my PS2 thinking theyd be great games. . .boy was I horribly wrong. I hated both of these poor excuse for RE titles and wish I had saved my money.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Darkman2007

offshoot Resident Evil games: I purchased RE: Deadaim and RE: Outbreak for my PS2 thinking theyd be great games. . .boy was I horribly wrong. I hated both of these poor excuse for RE titles and wish I had saved my money.

Shenmue_Jehuty
I played RE Outbreak it wasn't bad , but there was one issue. you know the game was basically built for online gameplay? well , the PAL version (the one I played) had the online option removed. great idea Capcom , take an online game, and take out the online.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shenmue_Jehuty

It probably would have been better when your cooperative characters were controlled by other people rather the the very foolish, primitive AI. The AI was the biggest issue with that game; your fellow companions were so stupid that they often ended up getting you killed faster then if you just went solo. The game overall was very mediocre as well, especially for an RE title.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Darkman2007

It probably would have been better when your cooperative characters were controlled by other people rather the the very foolish, primitive AI. The AI was the biggest issue with that game; your fellow companions were so stupid that they often ended up getting you killed faster then if you just went solo. The game overall was very mediocre as well, especially for an RE title.

Shenmue_Jehuty
I actually borrowed it from a friend at the time, found it mediocre, though I wouldnt say it was bad.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

Darkman2007

I actually borrowed it from a friend at the time, found it mediocre, though I wouldnt say it was bad.

I thank a lot of people feel as you do abou outbreak, but I found it a total waste of time and money. Getting past the bar seen in the beginning took so much effort that I could not even imagine the fortitude needed to get through the entire game. I've just been burned so badly by off shoot RE titles that I sort of only buy the ones with a number following the title :P

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

My Jaguar. So far I only have 1 decent game, which is AVP, and I rarely play that. Maybe I just need to grab some more games for it, but right now I'm not really invested in it.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pills4louis

My Jaguar. So far I only have 1 decent game, which is AVP, and I rarely play that. Maybe I just need to grab some more games for it, but right now I'm not really invested in it.

godzillavskong

Nah, you're good. I normally don't like to say "x was the only good game for x system" but... AVP was the only good game for Jaguar. :lol:

[spoiler] Then again, I could be wrong. [/spoiler]

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

Sword of Sodan for Genesis.

Biggest piece of junk.

mittens8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 mittens8
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Bubsy 3D.

Good god that game was awful. Thank god it's scratched up so badly.