Your opinion on Used Games

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZachBentley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZachBentley
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Found this article. Figured it may make for a good thread. I sort of agree with it. Where do you guys weigh in? http://n4g.com/news/847836/are-used-games-hurting-the-industry
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Its not my job to take pity on the people who make the games. If someone makes a quality game and I want to play, I go out and buy it right when it comes out or soon after. If a new game gets poor or average ratings and doesn't excite me, why would i go spend hard earned money to support a game that isn't worth the already high $60 price tag + $5 tax? Just because I'm the consumer doesn't mean I will consume everything thrown my way, even if its crap. In these times of sky high unemployment, people losing their homes, jobs, and not sure if it will get better, why should anyone really shed a tear for someone in the entertainment business. I support those worth supporting, and who give me great value for my money spent. The DLC is a great point! This makes the already good games last longer and gives money directly to the companies making these games. I loved the DLC for Red Dead, Mass Effect 2, COD and Battlefield Map packs, and not to mention the pretty good Back to the Future downloadable game. I don't like Gamestop more then the next guy, and I try to Ebay as much used stuff as possible but sometimes its just easier to clean out some stuff and put it towards a pre-order of an upcoming big title.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Used game sellers and buyers kill the industry

Anyone who sells or buys used games shouldn't have a voice when it comes to games at all, the fact that we let these people speak about why they do it is insane, they're killing the industry and we still treat them like they're on the same level, they're not. No matter if it's their sole intent or they just don't understand the ramifications the pandering to the people who sell and buy used games has to stop.

You wont find another industry that embraces their killer this much yet for the game industry everyone is like "well person who is killing the industry how do you feel?"

Forget that, what we need to do is get to the point in digital distribution where the used game market doesn't exist and then the industry will be able to move forward.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts

http://thepixelreview.com/?p=13 Link to article for those who don't want to go through n4g

edit: As for used games hurting the industry. They actually do hurt the industry. The sad part is that this could probably be solved if gs paid a small royalty fee to the devs for every used game sold. They already make back more than double their money when they buy games for $5 and resell them for $20-30(sometimes even more).

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I liked the article, it has some good points. Quite a few of my used perchases have led to new ones.

But the bottom line: Once I own something, it's my right to do whatever I want with it. I'd be very reluctant to support a game/company that charges a fee to players buying used.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts
I think used game sales are substantial not because their anywhere from $2 cheaper on a $20 game or $5 cheaper on a $60 game, after a game has been out a while stores like GameStop and EB Games just simply stop carrying new copies of their games so the only thing you can buy is the used games, I think some people would rather just have the new copies if they had a choice, problem with used game market is unless you buy the game right after it's released the only choice you'll be left with is getting the used copies.
Emraldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Emraldo
Member since 2004 • 1959 Posts

Buying used games seems to be a part of the new CoD/GoW/MoH era of gamers, it's cheap and easy so they jump at it. For the most part, it seems like older gamers choose to support devs directly and buy new. Personally I would never buy used because if I buy something I consider it quality enough that I want to see more like it.

The used games industry is pushing more devs to digital distribution though, which I'm totally for. Keep buying used and by CoD 10 you'll be paying full price and won't be able to trade 9 & 10 in for 11 :P

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

The used game market is just as vital then just buying the normal new game for the full 60 dollars. They aren't a virus on the market like someone above me mentioned. They want to play games just as much as the next person, so why should one be victimized for wanting a cheaper price. The fact is not everyone can afford the 60$ price tag from their average release, so the used games, that are just as good and at a cheaper price, is just more economically sound. A huge majority of gamers today are of a younger generation, so those that cannot afford their own games. Trading in games, then buying more used allows someone who wants to game the ability to.

Speaking from personal experience, before I had a job I bought most of my games used because that was the easiest way for me to support my hobby. I only purchased games that I really wanted at retail price, and even then I would usually wait for a price drop. Does the fact I simply couldn't afford the 60 dollar luxury at the time mean I have no voice? I love video games and wanted to keep playing good titles that released, and used games allowed me to do so. Now that I have a job I can afford relatively any title when it releases, but I can sympathise with those that want to buy used simple because video games are a luxury purchase, and not to be taken lightly.

Used games may not directly fund the developers, but it can help in the long run. When people buy a used game, and if they really enjoy it the fact is it might influence them to purchase the sequal, or purchase another game at full price from that same developer. Developers want instant gratification, so used games look like they harm more than anything, but they do allow those to try more games and perhaps purchase more at full price.

I do prefer new games because I do like to help the developers and publishers of games I like, but I do see the use of used games. The fact is used games will continue to be purchased and things like "project ten dollar" and paying for an "online pass" do not make the publishers look needy, but more greedy.

My rant is over

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

There is effectively no used game market on the PC. The PC is doing fine and growing. Its not that big of a deal if used games eventually die out.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

The used game market is just as vital then just buying the normal new game for the full 60 dollars. They aren't a virus on the market like someone above me mentioned. They want to play games just as much as the next person, so why should one be victimized for wanting a cheaper price. The fact is not everyone can afford the 60$ price tag from their average release, so the used games, that are just as good and at a cheaper price, is just more economically sound. A huge majority of gamers today are of a younger generation, so those that cannot afford their own games. Trading in games, then buying more used allows someone who wants to game the ability to.

Speaking from personal experience, before I had a job I bought most of my games used because that was the easiest way for me to support my hobby. I only purchased games that I really wanted at retail price, and even then I would usually wait for a price drop. Does the fact I simply couldn't afford the 60 dollar luxury at the time mean I have no voice? I love video games and wanted to keep playing good titles that released, and used games allowed me to do so. Now that I have a job I can afford relatively any title when it releases, but I can sympathise with those that want to buy used simple because video games are a luxury purchase, and not to be taken lightly.

Used games may not directly fund the developers, but it can help in the long run. When people buy a used game, and if they really enjoy it the fact is it might influence them to purchase the sequal, or purchase another game at full price from that same developer. Developers want instant gratification, so used games look like they harm more than anything, but they do allow those to try more games and perhaps purchase more at full price.

I do prefer new games because I do like to help the developers and publishers of games I like, but I do see the use of used games. The fact is used games will continue to be purchased and things like "project ten dollar" and paying for an "online pass" do not make the publishers look needy, but more greedy.

My rant is over

Sloan360
Excuses excuses.. They can wait for the game to go on sale which makes them very cheap to buy these days. If they can't wait.. that's too bad. Find a job, and work like everyone else. I'm mainly a PC gamer, so the used PC market doesn't exist for us... but I am also a console gamer for exclusives. I buy my games brand new, no matter what. The used game market only hurts developers and publishers and there's no place for it in my book. Come up with all your little excuses but at the end of the day, they don't mean squat. The people who buy games new keep them alive so YOU people who buy used games and whine about their $ can play them at our expense. Welcome to the real world. Stop mooching on others and pay your dues like everyone else. This applies to just about everything out there. Same principle. Don't want to pay your taxes? Work under the table but you want to send your kids to public school on my tax dollars? Heh.. think again. But oh wait.. people are doing everywhere. That's the problem with the world. Take something for NOTHING.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Elann2008

Buying used games seems to be a part of the new CoD/GoW/MoH era of gamers, it's cheap and easy so they jump at it. For the most part, it seems like older gamers choose to support devs directly and buy new. Personally I would never buy used because if I buy something I consider it quality enough that I want to see more like it.

The used games industry is pushing more devs to digital distribution though, which I'm totally for. Keep buying used and by CoD 10 you'll be paying full price and won't be able to trade 9 & 10 in for 11 :P

Emraldo
Exactly. I wouldn't mind if all games for all platforms went digital distribution. Serves them (used games buyers) right.
defii9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 defii9
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts

Sorry for being naive but is the game industry on the verge of bankruptcy??? It seems to me that it is more popular then ever before.....

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

There is effectively no used game market on the PC. The PC is doing fine and growing. Its not that big of a deal if used games eventually die out.

XaosII

I do buy lots of used PC games but they usually are GFWL titles or old games (Most GFWL games have multiple activations while old games are everlasting XD )

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
We should we worrying about important things, like piracy, instead of worrying about people who buy original games...
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I can go buy used DVDs, are people still making movies? I can buy a used book, are people still writing? I can buy a used CD, are people still singing?

Somehow all of these other industries are able to deal with people buying used. If the Video Game industry is the only one in trouble because of it, maybe there's a deeper problem we should be worried about?

In the mean time, let's not treat gamers who buy used like criminals or something, okay guys? That's ridiculous.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
We should we worrying about important things, like piracy, instead of worrying about people who buy original games...Rod90
It's almost just as bad. A popular game could sell 3 million copies new and 2 million of it could end up being purchased used. Piracy is difficult to combat, while as used games could be stopped eventually by going fully digital distribution.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008

[QUOTE="defii9"]

Sorry for being naive but is the game industry on the verge of bankruptcy??? It seems to me that it is more popular then ever before.....

Pixel-Perfect

I can go buy used DVDs, are people still making movies? I can buy a used book, are people still writing? I can buy a used CD, are people still singing?

Somehow all of these other industries are able to deal with people buying used. If the Video Game industry is the only one in trouble because of it, maybe there's a deeper problem we should be worried about?

In the mean time, let's not treat gamers who buy used like criminals or something, okay guys? That's ridiculous.

Last time I checked iTunes has taken over for music. Most people buy music digitally these days. Almost everyone I know either own a iPhone or iPod. Now people can buy a single track or multiple tracks, but not necessarily the entire album if they choose to which eliminates those buyers that don't want to drop money for the entire album. Music is selling more. More people listen to music now probably because of devices like the iPod. People still make movies because movie do well at the box office. At least GOOD movies. Have you checked Avatar's box office numbers? And this doesn't even include dvd/blu ray sales which DO sell.. at what? $10-30 a pop at varying retail stores. Even in a recession, movies can rake in $200 million box office. People right now are going to look to do more pass times than ever because of the recession, so they don't have to feel so damn depressed.

And for the record.. artists don't "make" money from their CD's being sold at retails. The record companies reap most of the benefits. An artist might make 20 cents for every record sold or even less. They make their money from concerts, promotions, special guest requests for private parties, etc. Commercials, magazine interviews, tv show interviews. Learn your facts man.. learn your facts.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

There nothing wrong with buying used games. They can not stop it uless they go with the computer of long term renting of games.

Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

Excuses excuses.. They can wait for the game to go on sale which makes them very cheap to buy these days. If they can't wait.. that's too bad. Find a job, and work like everyone else. I'm mainly a PC gamer, so the used PC market doesn't exist for us... but I am also a console gamer for exclusives. I buy my games brand new, no matter what. The used game market only hurts developers and publishers and there's no place for it in my book. Come up with all your little excuses but at the end of the day, they don't mean squat. The people who buy games new keep them alive so YOU people who buy used games and whine about their $ can play them at our expense. Welcome to the real world. Stop mooching on others and pay your dues like everyone else. This applies to just about everything out there. Same principle. Don't want to pay your taxes? Work under the table but you want to send your kids to public school on my tax dollars? Heh.. think again. But oh wait.. people are doing everywhere. That's the problem with the world. Take something for NOTHING.Elann2008

Sales are few and far between, especially for the most popular games, so whatever fantasy world you live in I'd like an invite to it. PC games have a vast used market, far more than any other platform. Amazon, Ebay, and gamestop all have used PC games, and they're almost always cheaper than the console games.

I'm not saying used games don't hurt, they do, but it's not to the severity that you are making them out to be. Most of the money made by publishers and developers are made within the first month, far before the used games start hitting the shelves in droves, and if it's a good game it will take even longer to get to a used shelf, if it makes it there at all. It's just when a game comes out, and around holidays when others will buy them for them.

And you attack me, clearly without reading everything. I told you I now pay my dues. I now have a job and purchase every title new, and most I have reserved are collectors editions so i'm giving them even more money than usual. You're relating not paying taxes to buying a used games, which makes absolutely no sense. If you buy a used game, you're still PAYING for it, while dodging taxes means you paid nothing...so the logic must be far beyond my comprehension.

It's blind hatred like yours without any supporting argument besides poorly formed logic that actually makes me want to go buy another used game. People who can't afford luxeries are moochers, and even if they can't afford one version, but another, they don't deserve squat in this industry? Attack used game buyers and throw out insults like (YOU people) almost like a racial slur.

Second Rant Complete: but i'm sure you'll have another rebuttal that states how people who buy used games are like murdersor something else that makes no sense.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

[QUOTE="defii9"]

Elann2008

Last time I checked iTunes has taken over for music. Most people buy music digitally these days. Almost everyone I know either own a iPhone or iPod. Now people can buy a single track or multiple tracks, but not necessarily the entire album if they choose to which eliminates those buyers that don't want to drop money for the entire album. Music is selling more. More people listen to music now probably because of devices like the iPod. People still make movies because movie do well at the box office. At least GOOD movies. Have you checked Avatar's box office numbers? And this doesn't even include dvd/blu ray sales which DO sell.. at what? $10-30 a pop at varying retail stores. Even in a recession, movies can rake in $200 million box office. People right now are going to look to do more pass times than ever because of the recession, so they don't have to feel so damn depressed.

And for the record.. artists don't "make" money from their CD's being sold at retails. The record companies reap most of the benefits. An artist might make 20 cents for every record sold or even less. They make their money from concerts, promotions, special guest requests for private parties, etc. Commercials, magazine interviews, tv show interviews. Learn your facts man.. learn your facts.

Many movies make ther money from the DVD sells of the movies after they left the box office.

Also artist make a little money from CD sales but not the downloading of one track.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

wiouds

Many movies make ther money from the DVD sells of the movies after they left the box office.

Also artist make a little money from CD sales but not the downloading of one track.

I specifically said that movies DO make money from dvd/blu-ray sales after they left box office... But I did forget to mention movie rentals.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Many people do not have the luxury to buy new games because of financial reasons and thus turn to used games as a viable way of owning a game. Also, video games are not produced forever; the best video games made are lucky to enjoy 3+ years of being manufactured, and that is the exception, not the rule. With most games, they are no longer made available new after a year or two, meaning that your only option to playing the game is to borrow, rent, or buy it used, with the used option being the most practical.

Not only that, but many of the anti-used game people on here seem to be forgetting that while the intellectual and creative properties of a game belong to the developers, the actual copy of the game is the personal property of the person who owns it at the time, new or used. That gives the person or store that owns the game at a given time the right to do whatever they want with it, given it doesn't violate the intellectual and creative rights of the company (ie. piracy). So who is anyone to say what others can do or not do with their property?

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Used game sellers and buyers kill the industry

Anyone who sells or buys used games shouldn't have a voice when it comes to games at all, the fact that we let these people speak about why they do it is insane, they're killing the industry and we still treat them like they're on the same level, they're not. No matter if it's their sole intent or they just don't understand the ramifications the pandering to the people who sell and buy used games has to stop.

You wont find another industry that embraces their killer this much yet for the game industry everyone is like "well person who is killing the industry how do you feel?"

Forget that, what we need to do is get to the point in digital distribution where the used game market doesn't exist and then the industry will be able to move forward.

Jaysonguy

Agreed. Your opinion is irrelevent when you're hurting [not supporting] the industry.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Pixel-Perfect

Movies make all their money from the box office. DVD sales has little affect on the movie industry. Games don't make millions of dollarsin theatres do they? The gaming industry makes money from purchases. That is why it is so vitally important we buy new. If you like gaming . . . . then support the industry.

Games can't be made without money & money does not exist without sales. If you want to see more games in the future then we must support gaming with new purchases..

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

Used games are great for gamers but bad for whiney developers.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I buy most of my games used. I am trying to buy more and more games new to support the devs, but often I can get them so much cheaper when they are used and money is a big obstacle for me.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I just don't understand the appeal of used games. I've rarely if ever seen a used game being sold for noticeably less than a new copy from the sellers on Amazon. More often than not Gamestop's used prices are a lot higher than Amazon wants for new.

And people pay these higher prices because they're short of money? Typical. So much easier to believe a line of BS rather than do a tiny bit of shopping around yourself.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I have a good mix of new and used games. I purchase a lot of titles new, but some of the production runs of games these days are so short that if you wait for a price drop you may not be able to find a new copy. I will, also, sometimes purchase a game used as a statement of something I didn't like. For instance, I bought Assassin's Creed used to 12 dollars because I wasn't really able to enjoy the game due to the lack of subtitles. I figured they didn't care enough about hard-of-hearing gamers to institute subtitles, so they wouldn't care about one lost sale.
keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

With used games people seem to think It has to be one way or the other. The reality of it is both sides have valid points.

This is the one and only issue where I actually AGREE with Activision and the devil (Bobby Kotick). That if you don't want people to buy your games used, make a game people are willing to pay full price for. Make a game that people don't want to trade in a week after they buy it.

Microsoft also has the right idea. Make people WANT to buy new. Gears of War 2 came with a free map pack and 2 weeks of free Xbox Live, Halo: ODST came with access to the Halo: Reach beta and all the Halo 3 multiplayer map packs, Alan Wake came with a code to get the first DLC chapter for free.

Fact is the industry themselves are to blame just as much as retail stores and the gamers who buy used. I can't count how many games I've played/seen/heard of this generation that were released blatantly unfinished (Fallout: NV and Dead Island anyone?) No one wants to spend $60 on a game with bugs, missing animations, bad sound mixing, clunky user interface, and spotty online features.

Another issue is most games have a shelf-life of 4-6 months. Not every game is a hit like Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War, and Assassins Creed (which have considerably longer retail lifespans.) Sometimes the only way to find an older game you wanted to play but never got the chance to try out when it was new is to buy it used. This in turn may make you more inclined to buy games that developers makes in the future. Hopefully buying new instead of used.

But on the other side of the coin, WE as gamers have to take some of the blame too. If you really like a game, if you really want to show your support for the developer, buy the game new. Most used games that are recently released are maybe $5 cheaper used. Show your support for the industry, for the hobby you claim to love and spend the extra 5 dollars. Also the industry is just now finding ways to combat used game sales. If any of you gamers who only buy used are wondering why so may publishers are jumping on the excessive DLC bandwagon, It's to combat used game sales. Because even people that buy the game used will have to pay for the DLC if they want to play it.

I have no issue paying full price for games like Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Portal, Borderlands, Zelda, Elder Scrolls, and Mass Effect. But I very much regret buying the aforementioned Fallout: New Vegas and Dead Island new, and very much wish I had waiting and bought them used a few months from now for a much cheaper price.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I do not support used game sales. I have over 70 games all purchased brand new. But on the flip side... I also do not support digital distribution. I want to own a physical copy of my game. The day all games go digital is the day I quit gaming. The day video games stop giving me single player is also the day I quit gaming.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Why do developers/publishers always end up shafting the entire gaming community with the excuse that a certain 'group' of consumers is responsible for hurting their industry and that this needs to be compensated. This is first and foremost a excuse!

There are numerous ways to prevent used sales: Improve launch quality , give additional content for people who bought the past games, release patches with free content, modding tools, in-game events, more hotfixes and better community support.

Is it coincidence that the aforementioned things dissapeared while used game sales increased?

I'm reluctant to buy new games these days because it's deception after deception and often a big pile of buggy crap.
Developers and publishers need to get real, if you want respect from your consumer base then treat them with respect.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#32 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Used games exist because people buy new at some point. I dont understand what is so wrong about never playing a game again after you finish it and taking it somewhere to exchange for some store credit to help pay for your next new/used game.

Not like the publishers just send retailers open boxes, half of them with missing manuals, original cases, or scratched disks.

People really need to stop whining about the secondary market. Almost every product aside from food has secondary market going for it.

Developors need to stop whining, losing potential buyers with this Online Pass crap, and people need to stop falling into the belief that used games are evil. The companies are just getting very very money greedy, and being entiltled bastards. Well maybe they need to take a step back and stop pushing out games that are only 5 hours long and expect us to fork over 60$. That is a lot of money, plus with the souring global economy, people are even less likely to spend money on luxuries.

I repeat, used games would not exist if people didnt buy new in the first place.

What is hurting the gaming industry? It is us, the gamers that are falling into the companies money traps and shady practices. Now they feel like they can get away with it and try even more ways to screw us over. Like Online Pass. Remember the outcry at CoD mappacks selling for 15$ when everyone else's were 10$? Remember the outcry at Activision jacking up the prices of Wii and PC games to 60$ to match the PS3/360 versions?

Well guess what, because people are buying into it now everyone does it! DLC is increasingly more expensive and more prevalent, less and less content is available without having to pay to unlock it, and almost every PC game is now 60$.

I dont know about you guys but I vote with my wallet. I refuse to buy any game that uses Online Pass or another way to try to fight used sales. Why? Because all these shady business practices are bad... BAD for customers.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

If a game isn't brand new with the official cellophane and sticker, then it won't get anywhere near my console

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

The only used games I've ever bought have been off Ebay, because they are old games & aren't available in the shops anymore. Personally I do think used games are bad for the industry, and to be honest, I don't quite understand why people buy them.

From my experiences, my local game shops here in Sydney sell used games only slightly cheaper than brand new ones. For example, the other day I say Modern Warfare 2 for about $59.95 new, and the used price was $54 from memory. Why would you buy the used copy when you can have a brand new one for a few bucks more? Are people really that hard up for $$$?

I know my local EB really pushes the used copies of games too. Whenever I buy a new copy they always ask me "wouldn't you rather buy the pre-owned copy for $5 less?"... And whenever I see aparent in there trying to buy their kid a game, they always get talked into the pre-owned game (with the $5 game guarantee). Rip off!!!

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Wow, now that i have read everyone's statements I can say that was an entertaining read. So what I'm basically getting from this forum is that ... 1. If you buy a used game you are compared to a criminal. 2. If you don't buy a brand new game each time the gaming industry will die. We do all know that gaming is an entertainment industry right? The industry makes a good amount of money, usually in the billions of dollars range per year and most quality titles seem to thrive thanks to gamers knowing they are quality products and putting their money down for the new release purchases. There are a few that slip through the cracks from time to time,but most thrive if they are a quality product. Batman AA, Uncharted, Heavy Rain, and Bioshock are some examples of people taking a chance on something different and not established and word of mouth spreads and they do pretty well for themselves. People are entitled to their opinion and both sides have valid arguements, but either way the gaming industry is going strong and isn't going anywhere. I would be more worried about the downward spiral of the movie industry before I worry about the quality of the gaming industry. I buy plenty of games brand new, especially the ones that deserve the praise and the money. Although, like the movie industry, not every movie is worthy of a cinema viewing. Sometimes you just got to put it in your netflix queue, and save your money.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Same as any other industry ever. Publishers need to suck it up and figure out other ways to make their millions.
TransFishers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TransFishers
Member since 2011 • 263 Posts
Nothing puts a smile on my face quite like scouring the used game section for $9 PS3 games. I scored Riddick, Brutal Legend, and a handful of others for that each just the other day. i was like a kid in a candy store.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

Whether or not the sale of used games hurts "the industry" (i.e. the video game manufacturers' pockets), which is highly debatable, there is a basic principle of owning what you buy. We can buy used cars, homes, clothing, toasters, CDs and DVDs. You can buy "used" stock and other equities. The video game industry is not special and shouldn't be permitted to illegally encroach on the consumer's ability to sell what he or she has legally purchased.

I hope someone takes Steam and others to court and defeats their illegal prohibition on the sale/transfer of gaming "licenses".

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Person X buys game new

1 person can play that game

Person X sells the game to person Y

1 person can play that game

The idea that used sales are a "loss" for the developer is an entitlement mentality that the developer should be paid for each person who has ever tried the game, even if they didn't like it and sold it, rather than be paid based on how many people LIKED the game and decided to keep it.

The first definition is better for developers.

The second definition is better for players.

Naturally since I'm not a developer, I think the second one is better.

As far as "supporting the industry," well the industry is already overcrowded and pulling in billions.

This is because it requires no capital investment to break into the industry.

So many companies started out as 1 guy coding a game, and turned into a $500 million business 5-10 years down the line.

To get into this business all you need is a PC and enough pizza.

"The Industry" will scale itself to the profits.

If it pulls in a billion, it will spend a billion to make new games.

If it pulls in 5 billion, it will spend 5 billion making new games.

I have enough games to play, how about you?

As far as PC gamers and DD.

I'd say they're taking it in the rear quite frankly. I got out of that racket when Steam started becoming a necessity.

DD is a ripoff racket.

Apple also has been quite successful at ripping off customers with iTunes, but there are apparently still intelligent people out there buying all their music on physical media, converting their library to mp3, and keeping the physical as backup.

Bottom line, used game sales drive new, can't have one without the other, and I think the market is pretty healthy for everybody overall.

The only people whining are the sucky devs with weak sales who blame the used market instead of themselves.

My 2 cents

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Sorry but the industry is hurting itself, publishers/devs expect huge profits from games and they expect us to give them the desired money they want to make. Charging $60 for a game and say a game sells 500,000 copies that's $30,000,000. For those who are qqing that used games are hurting the industry ask yourself have u ever bought a used car or are renting a house or apartment that's been used? If you answered yes to ether of this you're a hypocrite.
yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 yomanjdf
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts

games cost 2 much

u see angry birds cost little and made alot of money

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Devs are not automatically entitled to my money just because they think their product is worth what they ask for it. They have to earn that money but often they don't. So many games are crap now yet they still expect everybody to just pony up $60 + tax (and in some cases shipping) for something people have not had a chance to test out first? That is ridiculous because the purchase is non-refundable after you open it.

I buy my fair share of new games and support the devs that I think deserve my money, but I also reserve (and practice) my right to buy used games in situations that I'm unsure about or when I think the value is not worth $60 plus.

DD will only work for everyone when everyone has access to high speed internet without bandwidth caps. Right now there are more people without it than with, so game companies would be missing out on a lot of business if DD was the only way to buy games.

The used game market exists because people demand it. This site is in business partnership with Glyde.com, you can get great deals from individuals selling new and used games and you have the option to buy them in "excellent" condition and at significantly cheaper prices than what most new games go for, just look in the "game market" tab. Those that say you can only get $5 off the new retail price so why bother in the first place must not be familiar with websites like Glyde and Gamefly.

And those saying we who buy used games have no right to voice our opinion need to check themselves because this very site is part of the used game market so if you don't like it, maybe you should find another community if this one offends your morals with its used games business practices. ;)

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

LOL "killing the industry".

People have been buying and selling used games for a long time now. Then why isn't the industry dead yet? Why does it keep growing?

Why doesn't the automobile industry complain about used cars? Why doesn't the furniture industry complain about used furniture? Why doesn't the music industry complain about used CDs? Or the movie industry for that matter.

Then why the bloody hell does the game industry complain about it, while still growing in revenue?

This whole "used games are killing the industry" thing is a LIE, motivated by pure greed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Here's an appropriate video for this topic. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/4720-Used-Games-Have-A-Right-To-Exist
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Nothing wrong with buying games used. If a dev wants to add extra content to new copies of a game, then I'm all for that, as it is providing extra benefit and making that new copy stand out more from the used copy. That said I am totally against devs taking out parts of the game and requiring a one time code to use them - such as removing online from a game as EA is doing with Online Pass, and others have followed suit with their own versions.

I probably buy fewer used games now than I did a few years ago, but that has little to do with my level of income - it's just that in the last couple of years the price of new games has fallen so quickly, that if you are happy to wait a month or two you can usually get a new copy for less than half the launch price. Deus Ex HR is already below half price despite some fantastic review scores.

With regards to the tactic of making used gamers have to pay $10 more to access the full content as a way of combating the used game market, I think it could be counter-productive. Gamers who know about this will want to see the price they pay for a used game reduced atleast $10 less than a new copy, and yet if stores do this, and a consumer who doesn't really know what they are buying (mom + pop buying game for their kid) sees one (new) version for $50 and a used copy for $35-40 they are more likely to get the cheaper copy.

discipleofsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 discipleofsin
Member since 2004 • 352 Posts

This may have already been stated ... I fully admit that I have not read all the posts in this thread. Just the first page is enough to tick me off.

People are looking at this all wrong. This is not a question of ruining an industry or everyone having the "right" to play play regardless of cost. This has everything to do with personal choice. I have every right to do what I want with the games that I own. If I choose to sell them to someone else that is my right. I own the game regardless of what the record industry wants you to believe. Also, on the flipside the industry has the right to put limit the use to the online and continuously supported aspects of their games.

However, no one is complaining that Harry's Used Cars in ruining the auto industry. Pawn shops aren't ruining the fake Rolex market. The arguement that used games are ruining the games industry is ludicris, and is just being pushed now because the industry doesn't want to change. I think every person that is yelling about that hasn't put forth the effort to come up with better reasons why no one wants to play there crappy game.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
I always buy used games. Not a heavy gamer , fan for certain makes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Im generally not a fan of used games (except for an old system, which makes used games for any other games then the at the time present a fair trade for me).

A game from last gen tho, would have nomore work done on it, by the time you buy it, so I consider those games fair to sell used

But the two reasons why I do not normally support used game sales is due to

1) unlike other goods, movies, music, cars, ect. A dev keeps working on and spending money on the games they make, a patch alone can cost insane amounts of money to make, and long work hours. Basicly it is not the buying the game used, but that the devs does nto see a dime on it, I see games like I see an apartment, you do not just "get" an apartment because its used, you pay a fee, which mainly go into its maintenance. So if there is something like the infamous online pass, I am content, the SP part would be done, and most patches adress online issues, so if you do not use online, then used game is fine, if you DO use Online, then you should atleast make sure the dev gets alittle.

2) Who gets the money from the used game sales, Yeah this is part of the real problem for me, because it is an ethical one. ive seen gamestores that goes through alot to make sure you buy an used copy of a game, for nearly the same as it would cost new, so they would get all the revenue. That I consider Morally wrong. If they sold the games for say, 5-10 bucks and did not try to make sure you bought an used copy? I would not really care alot.

ive seen stores who outright refused to sell customers new versions of games (that they had on the shelves). So it is that buisness practice I have the most problems with.

Most people here seems to dismiss that a game is worked on post launch, and one used game sale, is more likely to be a lost new sale, thenthe person would not buy it at all.

And the industry is not making alot of money, there are a select few that rakes in money, but most devs struggle to break even. So it is kind of sad that so many gamers demand games which takes so much money to make, but then don't make sure the devs see any money at all.

This gen alone saw an unbelivable amount of devs shut down, since they could not break even.

In the end it is not something I blame the buyers of used games,it is something I blame the sellers.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Love em. I buy plenty of used games, and I buy plenty of new ones too. And Idon't lose an ounce of sleep over it. If a game is released that looks cool, but doesn't interest me, I simply wait for a price drop or buy it used. I don't suffer a guilty or conscious or anything,I don't get it. I also buy games off of Steam, go the digital route. I buy games everywhere, and havea good time. I say keep the used games market alive.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

This topic is becoming a monthly feature at GGD. Used games DO NOT hurt the gaming industry.

/thread