Your most unexpected twist or moment in a game ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

lots of games (especially RPG genres) have plots twists to make it seem deeper or more interesting, but to me one of the most shocking moments i have ever experience when playing video games was when Aeris got killed by Sephiroth.that still stands out in my mind as one of the most shocking moments ever. what do you all think?

stu_godd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 stu_godd
Member since 2006 • 538 Posts

mgs2 wen it told me to go to sleep cuz i had been playingfor too long

its prob not wot u ment but its the strangest thing iv seen wen playing a game

SaL_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 SaL_92
Member since 2005 • 4106 Posts
heres mine [spoiler] when i found out eva was a backstabber in mgs3 [/spoiler]
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
Woah Woah Woah. Thanks for ruining FF VII for me. Mine was the ending of MGS 3.
Avatar image for Kyoske_Shingure
Kyoske_Shingure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Kyoske_Shingure
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

stu_godd

Mine was from, "Metal Gear Solid" as well. I think it was the first one were you faced a psychic type guy and you JUST COULDN'T HURT HIM! Then the cheif, or whatever, on your codec tells you to, "Plug in your controller to port two!" and once you do the boss was like, "WHAT!? I CAN'T FORSEE YOUR MOVEMENTS!!" and then you could beat him. I never saw it coming, but it made me laugh. Konami is great.

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yakk_3
[QUOTE="stu_godd"]

Kyoske_Shingure

Mine was from, "Metal Gear Solid" as well. I think it was the first one were you faced a psychic type guy and you JUST COULDN'T HURT HIM! Then the cheif, or whatever, on your codec tells you to, "Plug in your controller to port two!" and once you do the boss was like, "WHAT!? I CAN'T FORSEE YOUR MOVEMENTS!!" and then you could beat him. I never saw it coming, but it made me laugh. Konami is great.

How about when he reads your memory card, or when the Colonel keeps saying: Meryl's number is on the back of that package. Unfortunately for me, my game shipped without the game box, so I just went to every channel calling it until I found her.
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
Really enjoyed the big twists in the golden sun games, honestly.
Avatar image for Kyoske_Shingure
Kyoske_Shingure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Kyoske_Shingure
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts
[QUOTE="Kyoske_Shingure"][QUOTE="stu_godd"]

yakk_3

How about when he reads your memory card, or when the Colonel keeps saying: Meryl's number is on the back of that package. Unfortunately for me, my game shipped without the game box, so I just went to every channel calling it until I found her.

haha, harsh. You should have just looked it up on Gamefaqs or good ol' Gamespot.

jcwordlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jcwordlife
Member since 2004 • 2686 Posts

Woah Woah Woah. Thanks for ruining FF VII for me. Mine was the ending of MGS 3.yakk_3

Yea, same....That ending made me cried

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The ending of Shadow of the Colossus after the defeat of the final Colossus.
the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

Oh, that's easy. And I'll do one better than just say what was surprsing, I'll show ya!

Thief: The Dark Project

System Shock 2

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yakk_3

[QUOTE="yakk_3"]Woah Woah Woah. Thanks for ruining FF VII for me. Mine was the ending of MGS 3.jcwordlife

Yea, same....That ending made me cried

yes i must admit i was teary eyed. I kept saying to myself: "It's just a videogame for god's sake!". but it was just such an incredible ending. I don't know how MGS 4 could possibly top it.
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yakk_3
The ending of Shadow of the Colossus after the defeat of the final Colossus.foxhound_fox
That was my favorite ending, until I beat MGS 3 that is. Man, I need another game like those 2, which just makes me drop my jaw in awe and wonder.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
That was my favorite ending, until I beat MGS 3 that is. Man, I need another game like those 2, which just makes me drop my jaw in awe and wonder.yakk_3

Even though its a chore, find a copy of ICO. Not as good as Shadow but definitely another superb game by Ueda. Completely different yet still totally amazing. Ico and Yorda are great characters and the story is just as good if not better than Shadow. The polish of the game isn't as high but it is still great.

I played MGS3 before Shadow. Looking back, my emotional connection with Big Boss and The Boss wasn't as much as with Agro and Wander. when playing Shadow I feel as if I am Wander, saving Mono from her accursed fate while sacrificing myself in the process. I just can't connect on the same level with BB as I can with Wander. Just my $0.02.
FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

For me it was in Deus Ex. To anyone who hasever played that game you know what it is.

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yakk_3

[QUOTE="yakk_3"]That was my favorite ending, until I beat MGS 3 that is. Man, I need another game like those 2, which just makes me drop my jaw in awe and wonder.foxhound_fox

Even though its a chore, find a copy of ICO. Not as good as Shadow but definitely another superb game by Ueda. Completely different yet still totally amazing. Ico and Yorda are great characters and the story is just as good if not better than Shadow. The polish of the game isn't as high but it is still great.

I played MGS3 before Shadow. Looking back, my emotional connection with Big Boss and The Boss wasn't as much as with Agro and Wander. when playing Shadow I feel as if I am Wander, saving Mono from her accursed fate while sacrificing myself in the process. I just can't connect on the same level with BB as I can with Wander. Just my $0.02.

I am playing through ICO right now. I'm almost5 hours in, at the Water Tower Section. The game is a piece of art. btw, how much longer do you think I have until I beat it? Because I've heard that it is really short.

jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

Woah Woah Woah. Thanks for ruining FF VII for me. Mine was the ending of MGS 3.yakk_3

I think that if you haven't played FF VII by now, you probably should've, and this game has been talked about enough that I'm surprised you didn't already here about then. Anyway, that whole situation is waaaay too early in the game to "ruin" it. You should still play this game because it is way too awesome to pass up, although the shock factor will be gone. I gotta admit, it made my jaw drop.

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yakk_3

[QUOTE="yakk_3"]Woah Woah Woah. Thanks for ruining FF VII for me. Mine was the ending of MGS 3.jubino

I think that if you haven't played FF VII by now, you probably should've, and this game has been talked about enough that I'm surprised you didn't already here about then. Anyway, that whole situation is waaaay too early in the game to "ruin" it. You should still play this game because it is way too awesome to pass up, although the shock factor will be gone. I gotta admit, it made my jaw drop.

Ya I know I really need to get around to playing it sometime. I have thought of buying it off Ebay, but have heard stories that I would need to pay a ridiculous amount for it. Do you think there will ever be a re-release of the game for the PSP or anything of the sort? (and yes i am aware that there are 'other' ways to acquire this game for the PSP, but i don't want to risk fiddling with the system)
noctilucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 noctilucus
Member since 2006 • 191 Posts
The most unexpected twist I've seen in a game so far was when a friend of mine was playing some sort of detective game, little over5 years ago. His character died so he thought it was game over... then it got resurrected as a werewolf. Don't remember the game's name though.
Avatar image for doppelganger411
doppelganger411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 doppelganger411
Member since 2003 • 827 Posts
KotOR. didn't see that twist coming...
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

The most unexpected twist I've seen in a game so far was when a friend of mine was playing some sort of detective game, little over5 years ago. His character died so he thought it was game over... then it got resurrected as a werewolf. Don't remember the game's name though.noctilucus

That was Discworld Noir. It wasn't really unexpected, since that's also the intro to the game, with the first half of the game being retold by the then-deceased main character.

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
The ending of Mafia for me. Just came out of nowhere :(
madterps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 madterps
Member since 2003 • 3152 Posts
MGS2, Colonel isn't actually a real person but a simulation?
noctilucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 noctilucus
Member since 2006 • 191 Posts

That was Discworld Noir. It wasn't really unexpected, since that's also the intro to the game, with the first half of the game being retold by the then-deceased main character. Planeforger

Ah, I didn't know that, in that case it's a lot less unexpected though still original.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
KoTOR1- when you discover the true identify of Darth Revan. KoTOR2- when you discover the true plans of Kreia. MGS- fight with Psycho Mantis.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

Several moments in killer7, including the plot and characters as a whole.

The talking decapitated politicians.

Curtis confronting Pedro on the squash court (a HUGE WTF moment for me).

Russian roulette with Benjamin.

Garcian's true identity and nature.

And, possibly most disconcertingly bizarre of all, Izawaru's (sp?) true identity. That one seriously came out of left field.

I understood MGS2's plot. I read 1200+ page James Clavell novels and got all the subtle intricies. Same with Stephen King's works and many of the connections between them. Yet I have no freaking idea what killer7 means, only relative ideas.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

[QUOTE="Planeforger"] That was Discworld Noir. It wasn't really unexpected, since that's also the intro to the game, with the first half of the game being retold by the then-deceased main character. noctilucus

Ah, I didn't know that, in that case it's a lot less unexpected though still original.

True, and the werewolf form actually added to the gameplay by giving you a third kind of inventory, which is also fairly unique.

As for Killer7, that's sort of cheating. I mean, it's not like anyone could predict anything that was going to happen in that game.
Still, the final hotel sequence was mindblowingly awesome, and probably counts as a plot twist (although what the twist actually meant is open for interpretation).

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts
Mine was when Aeris died in FFVII. I was leveling her up like crazy until Sephiroth killed her. All my effort went to waste, when she left my party. At that point my party was weak because one of my best character was gone. This is definitely my most surprisng moment in gaming.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

For some reason spoiler tags aren't working for me....so I'll just list them in a way that doesn't spoil the game for other people, but will be clear to people who have played the game.

Anyway....here are my favorite plot twists / revelations of all time in gaming in order....

1. Planescape Torment - So many in this game, but probable most of all is towards the end of the game fully finding out why you became immortal and discovering the details of how an attempt to correct things and make things right only made everything much much worse.

2. System Shock 2 - Discovering Dr. Polito's fate and finding out who you were really working for all along.

3.Fallout - The ending.

4.Silent Hill 3 - Finding out who Heather really is.

5.KOTOR - Discovering who Darth Revan really was.

6. Mafia - The ending.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

1. Silent Hill 2, the ending.

2. KOTOR, Revan's identity.

3. That Starcraft chick, Kerrigan I think she was called.

reaper14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 reaper14
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I'm completely with anyone who said Shadow of the Collosus. That ending was AMAZING, because you didn't know a thing until it was unfolding (Anyone who hasn't played that game should DEFINITELY get around to it. It's one of the best out there in my opinion).

Or how about in The Darkness when Jackie's girl gets capped in front of him and he blows his own head off. You could kinda see it coming, but it was still like, WHOA (That's another phenominal title).