Your Favorite Final Fantasy Storylines?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mesden1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mesden1
Member since 2004 • 637 Posts

Out of all the FFs I've actually played, in terms of Storyline and NOT Gameplay, I'd have to go with:

10, 13, 7, 8, 9, 12

11 doesn't count. How bout the rest of you?

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

IV. Just one of the small reasons why it's still my favorite FF.

I hated VII's. Sephiroth is extremely overrated IMO(Golbez = greatest FF villain). The Geo-stigma conceptwas cool though.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i liked ffx's storyline the most. there was just a bit more to the characters. sure, tidus seems pretty standard for a jrpg protagonist, but a lot of that can be traced to his daddy issues that are explored throughout the game. other party members are elaborated in a similar fashion. the twist is one such elaboration that really effected all of the party members in one way or other, as well as provided some good dramatic tension. i also liked that even though it had the usual god jrpg antagonist, it was personalized and that went a good ways. i also have to mention that i really enjoyed that addition of voice acting as well as facial animation. even though some scenes felt awkward (like the infamous laughing scene :P ), the overall effect was greater humanity and ultimately relatability with the inhabitants of spira.
Mesden1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mesden1

Yeah I don't think any Final Fantasy will beat 10... That story was just way too epic. Not even 13 comes close...

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

One of my favorite FF storylines was FFX.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

VI, VII, and VIII
Were the best imo.
In order: VII, VIII, VI

I'm not gonna judge the original, or 2 or 3.
IV was pretty good. It's cliche now, but for the time it was really good.
V was also quite good. I only played through it on GBA, I don't know how much they changed it from the original.
IX was good but mostly a standard story.
X has a good idea going but I didn't feel it was explored enough.
XII was ok. The story never grabbed me to be honest.

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
Final Fantasy 8. I have yet to play a final fantasy that was as good.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy VIII

Mesden1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mesden1

XII was ok. The story never grabbed me to be honest.

Conjuration

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I like almost all of the story lines but I have to give most of the credit to ff4. It was a pioneer in that it was the first to throw in twists and an actual in depth story.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14910 Posts

Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy Tactics................ those were great....the other were merely good.

Final Fantasy XIII is a cliched misfire....

Truf89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Truf89
Member since 2006 • 4680 Posts
Tactics. VII. VIII. and X were may favorites. XII's story was kinda boring to me. Maybe because the way things were presented in a different way.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

Final Fantasy VI.

ArT33_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ArT33_7
Member since 2009 • 608 Posts

FFX storyline was the best in my opinion.

SuperSonny2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuperSonny2
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
FFX is still my favorite, and I see a favorite for many of you. Some of this could be the addition of voice acting, and the fact they did a pretty good job casting voice actors that worked. The story was good, and it's the reason I've played through it a few times. After X, I'd probably go with VIII, I liked Squall as the protagonist and I think he's underrated in the series. VII is classic, and I think with the addition of Advent Children, and the PSP game(I forget the name), they really expanded on that story line. The PSP game had a pretty good story, although the game itself wasn't all that amazing. I still love the old ones as well. I can't completely judge FFXII because I never finished it. From what I played, I despised the characters, and it seemed as though they tried to make the story so grandiose that it became confusing to follow, although the Judges were great models. As for the older games, I grew up playing them so they will always be classics in my eyes. The variety of characters in those games are what I always remember, maybe not the story being amazing. Who can forget Kefka's amazing digital laugh.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

IV. Just one of the small reasons why it's still my favorite FF.

I hated VII's. Sephiroth is extremely overrated IMO(Golbez = greatest FF villain). The Geo-stigma concept was cool though.

LikeHaterade

I agree that Sephiroth is overrated but at the same time the legacy that he became through Crisis Core (his back story was fleshed out) and with Advent Children was epic IMO.

I am currently a fan of 13's storyline and the amount of detail SE put in with the character profiles really makes this edition stand out from previous ones. All time favorite prior to 13 would have to be 9 for me. It had the one of the best settings and once the storyline picked up around the the third disk (if I remember correctly) it stood out as one of the most memorable.

SuperSonny2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SuperSonny2
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Crisis Core, that's it. I felt the same way about Sephiroth and him being overrated til I played through that as well. IX was good, but I think it's like the forgotten similar to VIII. Everyone thinks of VII and X. IX gets it a little more because it switched back more to an old school FF art style. I do remember I enjoyed it, but I can't remember it as well. Zidane was a pretty interesting character as the story progressed, which is probably what you are referencing when you say around disc 3. The whole storyline with the mages was interesting as well.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

FFVIII, FFX.

texasgoldrush

Lol the last time you tried to call FFXIII cliche'd you said a bunch of things about the plot that were flat out wrong and that were also true for FFVI.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

FFX. Everything about the characters and story is sublime. To date it is the only game to have made me cry, and that's saying something.

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 TleilaxuMaster
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who cares more about the gameplay than the story in Final Fantasy.

That being said, I must admit that I actually enjoyed the stories in FFX and FFXII quite a bit.

FFX. Everything about the characters and story is sublime. To date it is the only game to have made me cry, and that's saying something.

gameguy6700

Let me guess. Tidus and Yuna laughing scene, right? Gets me all teary-eyed every time I see it. :P

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who cares more about the gameplay than the story in Final Fantasy.

That being said, I must admit that I actually enjoyed the stories in FFX and FFXII quite a bit.

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]

TleilaxuMaster

Let me guess. Tidus and Yuna laughing scene, right? Gets me all teary-eyed every time I see it. :P

That scene does make me cry too, albeit for a completely different reason.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

FFVI, VII, and X for me. Also my 3 favorite Final fantasies overall...for now anyways, I'm buying XIII this weekend, so I'll get to see how that game stacks up against the rest.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

FFVIII, FFX.

[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"]

Lol the last time you tried to call FFXIII cliche'd you said a bunch of things about the plot that were flat out wrong and that were also true for FFVI.

nope, turns out I was right all along.........[spoiler] save the world from destruction.... [/spoiler] at least FFVI subverted the cliche, it should have ended afterward. But I do have to credit XII for breaking that mold.
Marmotas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Marmotas
Member since 2004 • 2944 Posts

FF6 and FF7

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
At first I thought this would be about specific story elements and not the game on the whole. IV, VIII, VI, II, X, IX, XII, VII, V, I, III Jury's still out on XIII, but the fact that I ended up rather liking two of the characters I thought would end up on my list of most hated RPG characters ever bodes quite well..
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#26 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
FFX is my favorite.
Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

4,9,7,10,6,12 this is actually a pretty tough question. I haven't played 13 enough to know if it can dethrone one of these.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hakanakumono

texasgoldrush:

FFXIII is not a save the world plot.

[spoiler] For the majority of the game, Snowe is the only one interested in saving the world due to his Locke complex (see FFVI). Two of the characters are in fact predestined to destroy the world. In the end they manage to salvage Cocoon, but the plot is more about fighting fate and the greater forces that manipulate human lives for their own gain. FFXIII is more about the heroes saving themselves, than anyone else. Saving themselves is a priority throughout the whole of the game, while saving Cocoon only becomes a priority much later on towards the end of the game. [/spoiler]

FFVI was still a save the world plot. Just because Kefka did severe damage to the world doesn't mean that the characters weren't trying to save the world from further destruction in the end.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hakanakumono

In Fact,

SPOILERS FOR FFXIII

Technically, saving the "world" isn't a priority at all. Pulse is the world and human life has already been eradicated from it. Cocoon is just an eggshell in the sky. This places the world in a very similar position to the world of Ruin in FFVI. However unlike FFVI, Pulse is not under threat in the end.

END SPOILERS

Nice try though.

(sorry, gamespot wont let me use spoiler function).

drokmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 drokmore
Member since 2005 • 1863 Posts
I have to say for its time FFI was absoultely epic, really broke open the rpg genre.
nachi_lobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nachi_lobo
Member since 2010 • 268 Posts

Final Fantasy IV is the Best!!!!!

Mesden1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mesden1

^ What FF is that from

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#33 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
Although I love FFVIIIs gameplay, I loved FFXs story line.
FenrirXero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FenrirXero
Member since 2009 • 173 Posts

I would have to say Final Fantasy X, VII and IX had the best stories.

VII because it's iconic, X because it was epic and really imaginative, and IX... I just liked the story of that game. Or maybe I just really liked the characters. Regardless, I enjoyed it hahaha.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i love the story to Tactics and also to XII as its based around alot of same stuff
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 texasgoldrush

hakanakumono

Not saying that FFVI wasn't a save the world plot, it was (and perhaps the most effective)... But the plot element should have ended there and not repeated in the later games. The only games later with different storylines were FFXII and FFT, which are more about power positions than averting apocolypse. It is now cliche.

The biggest disappointment with FFXIII is not its linearity, but its storyline is by the book JRPG

[spoiler] you can spin it all you want, but like most FF games, XIII indeed becomes a save the world plot in the end, the villains want to destroy everything, plain and simple. Yes, it has a different spin like almost every FF game, but its the same story. [/spoiler]

Lets not get into the lousy script, writing, and voice acting of the game. Compared to Lost Odyssey, by Mr. Final Fantasy himself I might add, makes FFXIII's story and writing look second rate. While the story has its shares of cliches, the main plot isn't very cliche.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono

SPOILERS

Final Fantasy plots are just like other JRPG plots in that they usually encompass a large enough threat to destroy a world or a planet or a universe, etc. FFXIII is threatening Cocoon, although the world itself is still in tact. Something has to be at stake. Sometimes it's how things are done that matters, unless you want to argue that mystery plots are are all flawed because they're mysteries.

The villains ultimate goal isn't to destroy the world. It's to bring back the gods. Destroying Cocoon is just a method being used by the Fal'Cie int he game, which arent really traditional villains. FFXIII isn't really a villains vs. heroes plot.

The script in FFXIII ranges from excellent to awkward. Ultimately, the Japanese script is the only thing we can acredit the writers of FFXIII with and unless you've played the Japanese ver, you're in no position to judge the dialogue as any worse than the translation present in FFVI as far as the Japanese developers go.

If FFXII and FFT are more about power positions than anything else, then FFXIII isn't really about saving _ either. FFXII included "saving Dalmasca," after all.

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

I loved FFXII's story, even though that puts me in the vast minority...

RaZoR_RaiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 RaZoR_RaiN
Member since 2009 • 489 Posts

Crisis Core ;)

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts
In Order.. - Final Fantasy VII - Still my best game of all time and the memorable game I've ever played. - Final Fantasy IX - Final Fantasy X - Final Fantasy VII : Crisis Core - The ending was just.... *sniff.. - Final Fantasy VIII - Final Fantasy IV - Final Fantasy VI - Final Fantasy V - Final Fantasy II - Final Fantasy I - Final Fantasy III - Final Fantasy XII - The battle system was great though.
Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

Final Fantasy XII - The battle system was great though.NoctisCaelum52

I have not heard much praise for 12's battle system. I was not a big fan of 12's battle system, it felt generic and uninspired.

el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

8 and 12

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

FFIV, FFVI and FFX. thats pretty much it. I like alot of the other ones but these struck me as being, by far, the best told stories.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts

[QUOTE="NoctisCaelum52"]Final Fantasy XII - The battle system was great though.Sacif

I have not heard much praise for 12's battle system. I was not a big fan of 12's battle system, it felt generic and uninspired.

Well people have different tastes and I'm one o' those people who loved FF XII's battle system. :)

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

I've enjoyed all of them, not got around to playing 13 yet but atm my top 3 are, 10, 9, and 7.