Your Destiny [Beta] Awaits

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The beta is occurring now for the PS3. I am going to be getting it for sure. It has great potential.

I am going to get used to not being able to pause in games.

Currently a level 3 Warlock (started about an hour ago)

Ladies and gentlemen, what do you think about it?

Note: Name your platform of choice, please.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#2 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

I've just finished playing about two hours of it on Xbox one! I also choose a Warlock over a Titan. Look the game is quite literally f*cking brilliant! and dare I saw innovative? yeah maybe. graphically it looks really nice, not the best...but then again its only a beta right, the final product COULD look better, but if it doesn't...who cares.

Alot of people have said its like halo meets borderlands...I disagree. I'd say its more like the concept of Borderlands with a very star wars/mass-effect vibe going on. The music and alot of its shots in cutscenes are definitely Halo however, no doubt! And my god what an excellent OST right?

ps: Yeah not being able to pause is definitely going to take some getting used to.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

little annoyed that the Iron Banner vendor gets locked out when the Iron Banner event ends. I stayed in to grind more Iron Banner rank, figuring I would just buy my colors/cape when it was over, but no.

They need to rebalance the pulse and scout rifles for the final version, as currently PvP is all about the auto-rifle, particularly the Shingen-C and Cydonia. Just seems like you'd want all of your primary weapon choices to be viable, not just one. PvE I actually prefer the scout rifle, particularly my Jigoku, but Shen just wrecks in PvP with its 44 round clip and ridiculous ROF....even in PvE it's like a buzzsaw.

Really looking forward to using Blink with a shotgun...have no idea what it will be like, but I can imagine...same thing going angel with a sniper rifle.

The verticality in this game is pretty special. I mean, you get in those situations where it's you and another guy with some cover between you and he's thinking "is he going left or is he going right," but then you just leap over the fucking thing and land behind him. Highly, highly recommend getting used to your sensitivity on 10 if that's not something you already do when you start a game.

Best thing I like about Titan is just punching shit in the jaw. Warlock's melee actually has a bit of range, so it takes some getting used to when I switch to Titan...but it is satisfying to just clip something with a fist in the midst of all this sci-fi weaponry. Titan's get a buff to their melee, whereas I think Warlock's eventually get a vamp effect and it looks more like a spell than a punch.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'm definitely loving this game so far. Can't wait to see what the full game will contain.

The gameplay is incredibly solid, and is honestly the single most accessible FPS game I've ever played. It's easy as hell to pick up, but mastering it is something few people are managing to do. Likely due to the Call of Duty mentality of just shooting everything that moves as fast as you can. There's a bit more strategy to it, as the AI is pretty damn aggressive and in someways intelligent. I've had many a Hive acolyte backing up away from me only to have me fall into an ambush. And the Fallen move so damn much it's often hard to keep track. What I absolutely LOVE are the random public events where everyone bands together to defeat a horde of enemies and even those bastard devil walkers. It's nice to see everyone working towards a common goal when these things pop up and not feel the need to steal kills.

I like the RPG feel of it, but it's not exactly what we're used to in RPGs. The biggest difference is that every ability and powerup is skill-based. No stats or anything, just using every weapon and ability effectively levels them up and gives them new abilities. The only thing that utilizes numbers is the leveling of your guardian, and even then it's only through experience points and armor abilities. And I'm perfectly okay with that, even though I do like stat systems every now and again when it's appropriate. In here though, Bungie's doing everything necessary to make sure the game doesn't get too confused with an MMORPG, and they're doing a good job.

I like the Tower hub area as well for buying and obtaining new things. My only wish is that there are more areas like this throughout the main game. That would really make traveling between planets and moons less tedious. Also, there should be mini-games like races, guardian challenges, maybe a 1v1 PvP gladiator style mode for all the level-capped players? So many possibilities XD

As for the not being able to truly pause, I'm used to it because of me being an avid player of Dark Souls. It's a bit annoying, but the trick is to find a spot where enemies are nonexistent and pause and manage your guardian there.

In all, Destiny is ambitious as hell. And I for one can't wait to see the full game let loose. And with Bungie giving this game tons of support for the years to come, this game can only get better and better.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Been playing the beta since last week with my crew on PS4. Fully upgraded a Titan and then a Hunter. In the alpha I played a Warlock.

I like the Hunter class the best.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mastermetal777

@Zen_Light: I'm a Warlock all the way.

marlobc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 marlobc
Member since 2008 • 815 Posts

I was in the alpha , and i am playing beta continuously , and i love it !

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ish_basic

warlock needs better gear. Kinda ugly right now compared to the other classes.

I really love the little artifacts you get to hang off your gear...Titans get sashes (the Iron Banner sash is classy) and hunters get scarfs/capes....and Warlocks get armbands that you cant see unless you zoom in. It's like they don't want me to play as a Warlock.

It's cool that every PvP type has its own faction that features its own armor. Not obvious right now because there is only one of the vendors in place - the Dead Sectors. I take it that first you have to buy one of those artifact items from them and then it converts all rep gained while wearing it to that faction. I'm not big on stats, but I'm all about stylish toons, so this sort of thing usually keeps me interested way longer than it should. But it's also a good way to encourage the different pvp types. I'm guessing Iron Banner will be used in the same way. For those of you that haven't done Iron banner yet, it's basically just standard PvP except that level advantages are turned on and you get faction points towards the Iron Banner, who also have their own gear.

When you start a PvP match and you have all the ships of your team racing through hyper space, then you drop in for a close up of the team with the guy in front holding a banner....that just works for me. Love it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 branketra

I reached level eight today. It was easy with Dead Sectors. There are still things to do, such as bounties, filling the dead sectors bar, and the Devil's Lair. In addition, I found some enemies with question marks where levels show and they completely resisted my attacks. I escaped unharmed, yet I wonder why they are in the beta.

@Ish_basic said:

little annoyed that the Iron Banner vendor gets locked out when the Iron Banner event ends. I stayed in to grind more Iron Banner rank, figuring I would just buy my colors/cape when it was over, but no.

They need to rebalance the pulse and scout rifles for the final version, as currently PvP is all about the auto-rifle, particularly the Shingen-C and Cydonia. Just seems like you'd want all of your primary weapon choices to be viable, not just one. PvE I actually prefer the scout rifle, particularly my Jigoku, but Shen just wrecks in PvP with its 44 round clip and ridiculous ROF....even in PvE it's like a buzzsaw.

Really looking forward to using Blink with a shotgun...have no idea what it will be like, but I can imagine...same thing going angel with a sniper rifle.

The verticality in this game is pretty special. I mean, you get in those situations where it's you and another guy with some cover between you and he's thinking "is he going left or is he going right," but then you just leap over the fucking thing and land behind him. Highly, highly recommend getting used to your sensitivity on 10 if that's not something you already do when you start a game.

Best thing I like about Titan is just punching shit in the jaw. Warlock's melee actually has a bit of range, so it takes some getting used to when I switch to Titan...but it is satisfying to just clip something with a fist in the midst of all this sci-fi weaponry. Titan's get a buff to their melee, whereas I think Warlock's eventually get a vamp effect and it looks more like a spell than a punch.

I also prefer the Jigoku. Specifically, the SR2-SL scout rifle. The Psi Volo III pulse rifle is not bad, but it lacks the stopping power my scout rifle is capable of unleashing. Some characters use hand cannons and some kind of pyro effects for precise one-shot downs. Warlocks are capable of energy drain. I am still learning about the concept of the Voidwalker grenades, so I do not know if "vamp" is the correct description. I wish I could use Sunsinger during the beta, but it is simply there to show that the full game will feature more.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Okay so just reached level cap, and cleaned out all the missions (side from the never ending beacon ones) and now I'am currently just grinding it out as a Warlock for extra cash for the final game. I will be so annoyed should the final game not transfer my beta save over.

Considering playing as a hunter now!

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ish_basic

@BranKetra:Some characters use hand cannons and some kind of pyro effects for precise one-shot downs. Warlocks are capable of energy drain. I am still learning about the concept of the Voidwalker grenades, so I do not know if "vamp" is the correct description. I wish I could use Sunsinger during the beta, but it is simply there to show that the full game will feature more.

That is the hunter's gunslinger supercharge, not a hand cannon.

The warlock's vamp ability is a later upgrade that modifies energy drain to replenish health instead of grenade power. You can't access it the beta. Your skill xp continues to accumulate after you hit 8 but seems to stop unlocking stuff about 2/3's of the way to axion bolt. But you should be able to get the first two rows of skills if you play long enough.

I kind of like that the titan's defender class has so many tank style upgrades. Usually what I play in a standard MMO. Be interesting to see what a tank concept is like in an FPS.

Those enemies might be blocking paths to other, higher level areas of earth. Or they might be part of max level bounties/dailies.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ish_basic

Also, as I don't see this mentioned anywhere, the beta opens up to everyone as of 5 minutes ago (4pm PDT) so you no longer need a preorder or code to get in.

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11962

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 branketra
@Ish_basic said:

Also, as I don't see this mentioned anywhere, the beta opens up to everyone as of 5 minutes ago (4pm PDT) so you no longer need a preorder or code to get in.

http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11962

Bungie tweeted about that earlier today.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ish_basic

i got a legendary spaceship from the Iron Banner as a match reward. I can actually use it (as opposed to the level 20 handgun that IB has given me), so that's nice. Not too bummed that I'll probably lose it at the end of beta because it's kinda fugly. Big square lookin thing. Actually kinda resembles Voltron's chest piece, fists and all. It's called "the birth of history."

Also, a nice gun went on sale today on the PS4 servers. It's a cydonia, but the mod is increased damage when looking down the sights at the cost of somewhat slowed ROF. But the thing is, the slowed ROF actually has the effect of damping the recoil. The thing is fuggin beautiful.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Wow, this game is so awesome. I'm playing it on the Xbox One. Played as a Warlock, did all the story missions, and got up to level 8. I'll try out the other two classes next. Definitely picking this up in Sept.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Just finished downloading it, plan to play through it tonight and for the rest of the week.

Anyone know when the beta ends?

I'll play as much as possible and probably write up a blog of my thoughts (or I'll just leave them here, dunno)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

@behardy24 said:

Just finished downloading it, plan to play through it tonight and for the rest of the week.

I'll play as much as possible and probably write up a blog of my thoughts (or I'll just leave them here, dunno)

Tomorrow, the 27th, is the last day.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Your Destiny [Beta] Awaits

No it doesn't. Playing the butcher bay right now.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastermetal777

@Archangel3371: actually its sometime tonight after the special moon story mission.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#20 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

played through the tutorial and got a feel for it. Seems to be worth my money

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ish_basic

I was wondering why when I looked up at the moon from earth it had a crack in it. Now i know.

there's actually a fair bit of moon to explore. Went down into a number of areas - circle of bones, hall of wisdom, etc. There's this whole hive complex that you can go to and a bunch of paths that snake off and can sometimes be hard to see. Some of them are still blocked off, but the amount of area is still significant. The complex also snakes back to archer's line, and if you looked around you might have noticed a weird door in that area...it doesn't open but you can get to the other side of it through the hive complex.

Couple new enemies down there - the shrieker and the ogre. Shrieker was kinda rough...just beware when you kill it; it's not done yet.

I think I am gonna miss my Cydonia with the bonus damage while aiming mod. It's +33% per shot and the slowed ROF actually increases the range because of the enhanced stability from a slower ROF. It's like a marksman's AR.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@behardy24 said:

Tomorrow, the 27th, is the last day.

Oh man, that makes me sad since I just started it yesterday. Well, it guess it's time to play as much as possible.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

I was wondering why when I looked up at the moon from earth it had a crack in it. Now i know.

there's actually a fair bit of moon to explore. Went down into a number of areas - circle of bones, hall of wisdom, etc. There's this whole hive complex that you can go to and a bunch of paths that snake off and can sometimes be hard to see. Some of them are still blocked off, but the amount of area is still significant. The complex also snakes back to archer's line, and if you looked around you might have noticed a weird door in that area...it doesn't open but you can get to the other side of it through the hive complex.

Couple new enemies down there - the shrieker and the ogre. Shrieker was kinda rough...just beware when you kill it; it's not done yet.

I think I am gonna miss my Cydonia with the bonus damage while aiming mod. It's +33% per shot and the slowed ROF actually increases the range because of the enhanced stability from a slower ROF. It's like a marksman's AR.

I was wondering how many people found that Hive complex. It was huge but there was only one entrance and it was the last area I found. You can actually follow it all the way back to where the moon mission ended, that temple area. Did you find those level 12 superknights and the ultraogre with the red aura shield? I was so disappointed that after 10 minutes of fighting them those knights didn't drop anything but 25 glimmer.