Xbox One sells over 1 million consoles worldwide.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Just broke. It will be interesting to see what kinda numbers Sony puts up next week in Europe.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/404050270532825088

Console gaming is dead.

UPDATE:

Following a worldwide celebration, Xbox One launched in 13 markets yesterday to great fanfare. The team is excited to confirm the launch of Xbox One was the biggest launch in Xbox history, with more than one million consoles sold through worldwide in less than 24 hours – surpassing day one Xbox 360 sales and setting a new record for Microsoft.

Xbox One is now sold out at most retailers. We are working to replenish stock as fast as possible to meet the unprecedented demand from our customers.

Gamers couldn’t wait to play Xbox One and check out new games like “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” and “Killer Instinct.” In the last 24 hours:

Over 60 million zombies have been killed in “Dead Rising 3”

Over 3.6 million miles driven in “Forza Motorsport 5”

Over 7.1 million combos in “Killer Instinct”

Over 8.5 million enemies defeated in “Ryse: Son of Rome”

And, fans also found time for some exercise, with over 43.3 million Fit Points earned in Xbox Fitness.

“We are humbled and grateful for the excitement of Xbox fans around the world,” said Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Marketing and Strategy, Xbox. “Seeing thousands of excited fans lined up to get their Xbox One and their love for gaming was truly a special moment for everyone on the Xbox team. We are working hard to create more Xbox One consoles and look forward to fulfilling holiday gift wishes this season.”

The launch of Xbox One unleashed a new era of games and entertainment. Xbox One brings the best games, live TV, Skype, sports, fitness, music and more to one system at the center of the living room, all available at the command of your voice. There are 22 game titles for Xbox One available today, including 10 exclusive titles.

For more on the Xbox One launch, check out the extensive coverage on Xbox Wire.

For more information on Xbox One, go to Xbox.com.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Microsoft confirmed that the number is sold through to consumers, not shipped.

Again, impressive. Especially considering the pricepoint and bad press. Even moreso considering that a lot of people (myself included) didn't think that Microsoft could reach Sony's impressive milestone. But as I said back then, Xbox One has a more diverse launch lineup and the Xbox crowd always proved to be rabid indeed.

I now believe even more strongly that the prolonged PS3/360 generation is causing unprecedented demand for new systems.

But maybe Microsoft too "did everything right", huh S0lid? :)

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

Yeah, considering they did a 180 on practically everything they stood for, I'd say they did do 'almost' everything right.

Consumers still need a Kinect less cheaper SKU and the power difference will never be eliminated, but other than that they have done a remarkable job of listening to me.

P.S These are numbers from 13 territories. PS4 did 1 million in one day in 1 country. 2 if you really want to count Canada. And that too a MS stronghold. Like I said in the OP, it will be interesting to see what Sony manages to do next week when it launches in Europe. Regardless of how impressive this number is, one cannot deny that the successor to the best selling console in NA last gen lost probably half of the market to Sony.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Inb4 everyone says it doesn't matter cause Sony only launched in NA.

The 8.5 million dead enemies is Ryse seems ilke a lot. 60 million zombies yeah but not that. Maybe there are more enemies to kill than I figured.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@UpInFlames said:

Yeah, considering they did a 180 on practically everything they stood for, I'd say they did do 'almost' everything right.

Consumers still need a Kinect less cheaper SKU and the power difference will never be eliminated, but other than that they have done a remarkable job of listening to me.

P.S These are numbers from 13 territories. PS4 did 1 million in one day in 1 country. 2 if you really want to count Canada. And that too a MS stronghold. Like I said in the OP, it will be interesting to see what Sony manages to do next week when it launches in Europe. Regardless of how impressive this number is, one cannot deny that the successor to the best selling console in NA last gen lost probably half of the market to Sony.

Well now you're just not giving credit where it's due. :)

I think that over time Microsoft might take the lead in North America, but I doubt it's going to be a significant lead. Sony is going to dominate in Europe once again and Japan is so irrelevant I'm not even going to bother with a prediction. I will be very surprised if Sony doesn't come out on top this generation.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

That is great for Microsoft, but like another user said, Sony sold that many in one country alone in twenty four hours.

I expect Microsoft to be repairing its image throughout this entire generation. Even though it changed many of the Xbox One's policies and settings, the original plans will not be forgotten and I believe Microsoft knows this and will do what it can to beat its competition by appealing to consumers besides video game players since the Xbox One is really being marketed as a multimedia device. The Xbox One is not just against video game consoles. It is going against many things that are electronic in a living room.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

@BranKetra: They won me back to the fold when they carried out the One80 and jettisoned Mattrick.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

Yep console gaming is dead.

I recall some people saying the PS4 and X1 would have trouble selling when they launch :P

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

Microsoft confirmed that the number is sold through to consumers, not shipped.

Again, impressive. Especially considering the pricepoint and bad press. Even moreso considering that a lot of people (myself included) didn't think that Microsoft could reach Sony's impressive milestone. But as I said back then, Xbox One has a more diverse launch lineup and the Xbox crowd always proved to be rabid indeed.

I now believe even more strongly that the prolonged PS3/360 generation is causing unprecedented demand for new systems.

I dont get why you think its impressive? its worldwide so if we take the 13 countries its released in, its less than 100k per country, thats kinda low particular when North-America and UK/Germany is in that mix.

Sony sold 1mill alone in NA and canada and haven't even hit Europe which is known to be a Sony favorite.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

Damn it,TC, you got all my chips,at least I am still taking loyalty with the other next-gen console,I won't spend about a heap of $400 on that thing(xbone),it's a very useless metal. If I happen to buy this,I will use it as a hotplate stove instead.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By branketra

@DarkCatalyst said:

@BranKetra: They won me back to the fold when they carried out the One80 and jettisoned Mattrick.

Alright.

Even beyond the point in which Microsoft "did a 180" as popularly described, I have been completely against the idea of buying the Xbox One because of the fact that those practices were almost implemented. After some time, I have reconsidered buying Microsoft's new console. If they have good games and I can control certain aspects of it that I have in mind, I might get one.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

PS4 was released only in NA, Sony will double that next week i believe. But good for MS i guess

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkCatalyst

@BranKetra: I can already assure you the good games are there, and if it's Kinect that's the problem, you can play just fine without it (mine's already packed away in the closet).

Ghost_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Ghost_Face
Member since 2002 • 7676 Posts

@BranKetra said:

The Xbox One is not just against video game consoles. It is going against many things that are electronic in a living room.

I didn't understand what you meant by that? Could you explain it for me?

princetrase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 princetrase
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

@Ghost_Face said:

@BranKetra said:

The Xbox One is not just against video game consoles. It is going against many things that are electronic in a living room.

He was probably trying to say that the XB1 is no longer a gaming console anymore. Which is far from the truth.

XspidervenomX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XspidervenomX
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

Took 11 more countries than PS4 to do it in however.

Still good news hope its successfull.

wowwow27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By wowwow27
Member since 2006 • 257 Posts

I'm quite taken, for me it was a simple matter of price. didn't realize Microsoft had such a following. not disappointed with my decision, though.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By branketra

@princetrase said:

@Ghost_Face said:

@BranKetra said:

He was probably trying to say that the XB1 is no longer a gaming console anymore. Which is far from the truth.

Please read all of the posts of mine you comment about before talking about them like you just did. I do not like that. The excerpt of one of them which is the first quote in this quote chain quite clearly states that the Xbox One is not just against video game consoles.

I ask you how you figure I would consider it anything other than what it is competing against.

Sure. What I meant was the Xbox One is competing against other devices that have similar features. Besides video game consoles, dedicated Blu-ray and DVD players are also competition for the Xbox One.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By branketra

@DarkCatalyst said:

@BranKetra: I can already assure you the good games are there, and if it's Kinect that's the problem, you can play just fine without it (mine's already packed away in the closet).

I meant to reply to this first when I got home, but Firefox is acting weird, so I started from the bottom of the page.

The good games being there is a plus. Killer Instinct looks worth learning how to play. My only experience playing Killer Instinct is once with the original game a movie theater. Kinect is a concern of mine, but since you are saying it can be played without it, that is a huge pro for me.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

PS4 sells over a million in the same time frame in North America only, plus Europe and Australia on 29th, at the same time happy gaming to those who picked up X1

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DarkCatalyst

@BranKetra: I've only run into one problem with having the Kinect put away, and that's the fact that it doesn't want to let me use Upload Studio without it. That's not enough to get me to unpack it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By branketra

@DarkCatalyst said:

@BranKetra: I've only run into one problem with having the Kinect put away, and that's the fact that it doesn't want to let me use Upload Studio without it. That's not enough to get me to unpack it.

That is not bad. Thank you for informing everyone.