Xbox-Exclusive Rise Of The Tomb Raider Release Date Set For Holiday 2015; Will Lara Croft Ever Appear On PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

flamydragon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

Edited By flamydragon86
Member since 2014 • 97 Posts

The Tomb Raider craze began in 1996 on PlayStation and now it seems like 2015 will be a no show for Lara Croft.

Developers have confirmed that the upcoming Tomb Raider video game titled Rise of the Tomb Raider is timed-exclusive to Microsoft with a 2015 holidays release date. Does this mean that a 2015 release date for PlayStation version will not happen?

During Gamescom 2014, Crystal Dynamics announced that the latest sequel to the Tomb Raider franchise, Rise of the Tomb Raider, will come exclusively to Xbox upon its 2015 release date. In Tomb Raider's official Tumblr account, a press release was unleashed to explain the timed-exclusive release of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The letter said, "Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tom Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past-we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing od a major partner like Microsoft."

Written by Crystal Dynamics' head of studios Darrell Gallagher, the letter continued on, "This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities."

Fans anticipating the launch of Rise of the Tomb Raider have already informed that release date for the Xbox version comes out holiday 2015. This leaves the question for PlayStation fans.

Reports reveal that while Rise of the Tomb Raider is indeed time-exclusive for Microsoft, versions for other consoles will be developed following the expiration of the deal. Xbox head Phil Spencer was asked by Eurogamer about the duration of the exclusivity deal for Rise of the Tomb Raider. To which he replied, "No. It's not because I'm trying to be a headfake on anybody. It's a deal between us and the partner."

So at least PlayStation fans may be satiated with the news that Rise of the Tomb Raider will eventually come to PS4. When that is, remains to be seen.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#1 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

This isn't new or news.

I must admit I loved the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and am hoping to see Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 and would support it by purchasing Day One.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Nice although I kind of expected it to release around that time. I absolutely loved the reboot so I'm definitely excited for this sequel, can't wait.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

We already knew this, why does there need to be a thread about it? Beside, Tomb Raider will more than likely come to PS4 anyway.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

Rise of Tomb Raider is time exclusive an will come to PS4 and PC later next year.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

I cant wait for tomb raider

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Meh.....

Temple Of Osiris is where its at. :p

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'll say it will be with the PS4 6 months after it's release on X1, end of the day I believe Microsoft realized it had nothing to go up against Uncharted 4, and quickly jumped on Tomb Raider due them having nothing for release, gears is looking more like the end of 2016, Quantum Break may come out may not come out you never know with them, so really all they have this year from there exclusives is halo 5 and fable, so my guess is, it releases against Uncharted and then 6 months later they release the PS4 version

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The thing tgat makes this worse is that Tomb Raider actually sold more on the playstation......

I know right ? Shocking !

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#9 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

You said it yourself, it's a timed exclusive and being published by MS doesn't change that (Ninja Gaiden and Mass Effect are examples of this, and they weren't the only publisher either, even Nintendo published Star Wars games in the N64 era didn't stay exclusive and went to PC). Besides, Square Enix/Eidos is still very close to Sony last I checked.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Definitely one of my most wanted this year... and I think it will come to PS4 eventually.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

So basically what we already know, that it's a timed exclusive and will eventually make its way to the PC and/or PS4.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

It is quite clear is a timed exclusive, coming to pc and ps4 in 6 months or so after

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

All I know is that I'm getting it on X1 late this year.=p

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

It is quite clear is a timed exclusive, coming to pc and ps4 in 6 months or so after

The game has to be developed for other platforms once this expires. I think people are underestimating how long that will take. It will be a year at least.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Krelian-co

@firefox59 said:

@Krelian-co said:

The game has to be developed for other platforms once this expires. I think people are underestimating how long that will take. It will be a year at least.

not really, just look the other games that have been ported from xbox, dead rising and ryse were 6 months or so, it all depends on how big is the team they dedicate for this.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kyacat

@Krelian-co said:

@firefox59 said:

@Krelian-co said:

not really, just look the other games that have been ported from xbox, dead rising and ryse were 6 months or so, it all depends on how big is the team they dedicate for this.

When did dead rising go to PC?

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Krelian-co

@kyacat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@firefox59 said:

@Krelian-co said:

dead rising 3 like half of 2014.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kyacat

@Krelian-co said:

@kyacat said:

@Krelian-co said:

@firefox59 said:

@Krelian-co said:

dead rising 3 like half of 2014.

Thanks and anyone with common sense know new tomb raider will be on PC and PS4 in six months after its been on xbox and xbox 360.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#19 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Phil Spencer compared Tomb Raider exclusivity with Dead Rising 3. Which means it's timed exclusive that will arrive on PC later but not PS4.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Sad how weak Microsoft first party devs are because their most anticipated exclusive is a game they paid outside for and it is timed.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kyacat

@Cloud_imperium said:

Phil Spencer compared Tomb Raider exclusivity with Dead Rising 3. Which means it's timed exclusive that will arrive on PC later but not PS4.

There a good chance Rise of tomb Raider will be on ps4 since there are more ps4 owners

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@kyacat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

There a good chance Rise of tomb Raider will be on ps4 since there are more ps4 owners

It is not about having more PS4s. It is about selling consoles and Micro$oft needs something to counter Uncharted 4. There is nothing better than Tomb Raider for that. In fact, Tomb Raider is way more than Uncharted which had always been about set pieces and cover based shooting. Hopefully, they will not follow Uncharted formula and bring true Tomb Raider game to life (Exploration, Vehicles, Puzzle Solving, Boss battles, Super Natural Powers etc).

The game is now also published by Micro$oft, so chances of it being on PS4 are slim. If I am not mistaken then the only game that was published by M$ released on Playstation was Mass Effect and only because Bioware was bought by EA. Even then PS3 gamers had to wait for 5 years to get Mass Effect and 1 year to get Mass Effect 2. I'd love it if Tomb Raider 2 is going to be on as many platforms as possible, so more people can play that game but right now, all I can see it being on PC (currently in development by Nixxes and will support mantle) after few months but not on PS4.

Same is going to be the case with Street Fighter V which will be available on PC and PS4 but not Xbox One (can't say the same about Super Street Fighter V Ultimate Combo Lightening Storm Donuts Edition).

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@kyacat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

ok if there are more ps4 owners why didn't crytek put ryse on ps4 after a certain amount of time or capcom put dead rising 3 on ps4 after a certain amount of time its been a year now

more ps4 users means it should be coming still right?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@kyacat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

The game is now also published by Micro$oft, so chances of it being on PS4 are slim. If I am not mistaken then the only game that was published by M$ released on Playstation was Mass Effect and only because Bioware was bought by EA.

You are mistaken; there is more than one game.

Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect, Sine Mora, Braid, Limbo, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Toy Soldiers, Geometry Wars, and recently SUPER TIME FORCE, etc.

There are examples that go both ways. For instance, RYSE, Dead Rising 3, and Alan Wake only were late ported to PC. It's hard to say in the end what will happen.

Personally, I own an Xbone and 360 and I also don't care for the TR series, but I just wanted to show that what M$ publishes isn't a guarantee as there are more examples than just Mass Effect. M$ publishing is definitely another hurdle though, and ultimately as sales trackers can attest, late ports of games don't sell well which is why some multiplats don't release later on consoles, it's not deemed worthy enough for the publisher to waste resources on the late port to consoles. Late port sales do seem to track better with the PC demographic as that market has proven to be more receptive to late ports than typical console consumers (the PC audience has been trained to wait over a long period of time and they get graphic fidelity boosts/mods).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@SolidTy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@kyacat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

The game is now also published by Micro$oft, so chances of it being on PS4 are slim. If I am not mistaken then the only game that was published by M$ released on Playstation was Mass Effect and only because Bioware was bought by EA.

Ninja Gaiden 2, Mass Effect, Sine Mora, Braid, Limbo, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Toy Soldiers, Geometry Wars, and recently SUPER TIME FORCE, etc.

There are examples that go both ways. For instance, RYSE, Dead Rising 3, and Alan Wake only were late ported to PC. It's hard to say in the end what will happen.

Personally, I own an Xbone and 360 and I also don't care for the TR series, but I just wanted to show that what M$ publishes isn't a guarantee as there are more examples than just Mass Effect. M$ publishing is definitely another hurdle though, and ultimately as sales trackers can attest, late ports of games don't sell well which is why some multiplats don't release later on consoles, it's not deemed worthy enough for the publisher to waste resources on the late port to consoles. Late port sales do seem to track better with the PC demographic as that market has proven to be more receptive to late ports than typical console consumers (the PC audience has been trained to wait over a long period of time and they get graphic fidelity boosts/mods).

Ah, thanks for correcting me but yeah you're right and that's what I'm saying that M$ publishing the game is yet another hurdle and chances of it being on PS4 are more slim than before.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@SolidTy said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@kyacat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Ah, thanks for correcting me but yeah you're right and that's what I'm saying that M$ publishing the game is yet another hurdle and chances of it being on PS4 are more slim than before.

No Probs. :) It sure is another hurdle, I agree. If I had to guess, this is 99% coming to PC and PS4 is on shaky ground now (I wouldn't bet on that version, but I can't say never either).

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

@flamydragon86: If the developers said it is a timed exlusive it will be out in 2016 for the PS4.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#28 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

If it's not coming out for PS4 why wouldn't they just say this iteration of Tomb Raider is console exclusive to Xbox One??

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Old new but ya like everyone else said its a timed exclusive.

Im glad I have both consoles though, So I can play it this year.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kyacat

@Cloud_imperium said:

@kyacat said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

It is not about having more PS4s. It is about selling consoles and Micro$oft needs something to counter Uncharted 4. There is nothing better than Tomb Raider for that. In fact, Tomb Raider is way more than Uncharted which had always been about set pieces and cover based shooting. Hopefully, they will not follow Uncharted formula and bring true Tomb Raider game to life (Exploration, Vehicles, Puzzle Solving, Boss battles, Super Natural Powers etc).

The game is now also published by Micro$oft, so chances of it being on PS4 are slim. If I am not mistaken then the only game that was published by M$ released on Playstation was Mass Effect and only because Bioware was bought by EA. Even then PS3 gamers had to wait for 5 years to get Mass Effect and 1 year to get Mass Effect 2. I'd love it if Tomb Raider 2 is going to be on as many platforms as possible, so more people can play that game but right now, all I can see it being on PC (currently in development by Nixxes and will support mantle) after few months but not on PS4.

Same is going to be the case with Street Fighter V which will be available on PC and PS4 but not Xbox One (can't say the same about Super Street Fighter V Ultimate Combo Lightening Storm Donuts Edition).

I know but SquareEnix/Eidos are to close to Sony and Rise of Tomb Raider will eventually hit PS4.