benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

I always used to get pre owned games but now I have a new console I like everything being new so do you buy pre owned games?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Depends how old the game? My generation was the 128-bit era. So I had a lot of backtracking of wondrous games. Even bought old floppies to play some dated classics. Rarely can you do that brand-new.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Pretty much always unless I find a decent price for a new copy on eBay or Amazon, which is where I buy used games anyway. And I only buy digital if it's actually cheaper than what I can find for a new or used copy online, if buying digital counts as buying "new".

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Stopped buying boxed games outside say the odd release like the last GTA on pc. Have gone essentially all digital due to cheaper prices during sales allowing me to play far more games then I normally could if I'd buy boxed used or new.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts
@benny_boy98 said:

I always used to get pre owned games but now I have a new console I like everything being new so do you buy pre owned games?

About 70 % of my games are preowned, if the case is in good shape, if the disc is in good shape, has it´s manuals and it´s well priced I´ll buy it. I´ve found that PS3 discs are always in much better shape than X360 discs.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

I buy pre owned games and exchange games with my buddies gaming is a very expensive hobby.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@benny_boy98: depends on the game really. If the game is something i want and it's cheap, then yeah i buy it

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

On the rare occasion I purchase something pre-owned, it tends to be something I can't find on the shelves that I've played before and suddenly have the desire to play it again. As a matter of fact, the last one I purchased was Ghostbusters The Video Game for the 360. Only once did I ever buy Nintendo pre-owned but it was at a B&M store I dislike but three used games for $20.00 was too good to pass up considering, at the time, I was able to buy one that was OOP. Now that Clun Nintendo is defunct, I may start buying titles on the used market.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

No, i don´t buy pre-owned games.

I buy them new or not at all.

beardygaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 beardygaming
Member since 2015 • 134 Posts

All depends on the condition for me. I've got loads of pre-owned stuff but then i have a pretty sizable retro collection. As for new stuff, it's mostly new now that you always get diddled by the inclusion of codes for DLC and the like. Also, I'm a sucker for a tin, so if there's a special edition which there mostly is nowadays I'll generally go for that. Especially as they seem to hold their value better.

Mannimarco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mannimarco
Member since 2015 • 41 Posts

Yes, when I occasionally visit the local gamestop. I don't really like that store, but damn they got some good deals on used 360 games (even though I'm mostly a PC gamer.) My bro got fallout 3 (a great game) for under $5. When I use game consoles they're usually old games (PS1, Nintendo, Pong, Atari) and to get those games I have to go to the pawn shop which is even more of a rip-off than Gamestop.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#12 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts

I'm never up-to-date when it comes to gaming. Right now for example I'm playing Gears of War 3. So basically I almost only buy pre-owned games or Steam sales.

I'm that cheap.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

It is extremely rare that I buy used games. I greatly prefer to get them new regardless of price difference. It's basically a last resort for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

I get new games 99% of the time but there are exceptions, where the price gap is big enough to matter, or if it's the only way I can find something

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Hell yeah.

Nothing wrong with used games.

Except if its a brand new game , but i never buy day 1 so i get used games all the time.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#16 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I always get used games, unless I can afford a brand new release, which is pretty rare for me. It's a convenience issue for me.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes whenever possible. Gamefly and Glyde provide me with a ton of savings and the condition of these games are like new or I don't buy them. They also allow you to try the games before you decide to purchase them or not, instead of other places that make you go all in before you know what you're getting, and often do not allow refunds.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

To each his own, if it's a game I really want, I'll buy it on day1! If not, I'll wait until there's a price drop or I'll buy it used.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Sometimes. I often buy new, but especially if there's a big price difference I'll go for it. I like to play games on older systems a lot, and in that case new is rarely an appealing option because you're buying from a 3rd party anyway at some absurd price.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@Archangel3371: Mr millionaire hahah do you read this guy posts, if you post that a DLC is too expensive or in game micro transactions sucks he replies I am happy to buy its great content, nothing in the gaming world is too expensive for him, you should hang out with floyd mayweather.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Just like everyone said, it depends on the game but however it also depends on how long I miss out until like maybe 4-6 years later, it's hard for me to find a new copy and used games comes in handy to find what I'm looking for. 3 weeks ago, I had a hard time finding Transformers: War for Cybertron so buying used games has it's uses.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

@yukushi said:

@Archangel3371: Mr millionaire hahah do you read this guy posts, if you post that a DLC is too expensive or in game micro transactions sucks he replies I am happy to buy its great content, nothing in the gaming world is too expensive for him, you should hang out with floyd mayweather.

Sounds like you've got issues.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

Alot of you guys are saying you buy used games when you can't find the original, well if you look on amazon they almost always have untouched versions of games in stock.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

I always buy new because I like to support the devs. When buying used they don't see a cent and it all goes to the retailer.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bigboi500
@DigitalNoodle said:

I always buy new because I like to support the devs. When buying used they don't see a cent and it all goes to the retailer.

Boo hoo I only care about my money and not some rich developer's inflated income. Sue me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Of course. You have to, for older games unless you want to buy knock off re-seals and pay up some serious money. I buy new whenever I get the chance for condition sake, (unless a current gen or recent game is expensive for some reason, also I wait for games to drop all the way down in price most times) not because they're new. Oh and some games have BS dlc codes so yeah...

No way i'm buying new gamecube games for example.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Pretty much have to for older games unless you want to spend hundreds on a new one.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MarcRecon

@Bigboi500 said:
@DigitalNoodle said:

Boo hoo I only care about my money and not some rich developer's inflated income. Sue me.

Actually, I agree with both of you. I have a small business on the side, so I get where you coming from @DigitalNoodle but at the same time, I'm trying to save a buck just like everyone else. Used game sales might take cash out of the developers pocket, but these guys are getting massive amounts of cash for what they do. They get it back in one form or another.

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 324 Posts

@MarcRecon: Then just wait a few months for a price drop. It is usually cheaper then buying them used.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#30 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I get some pre owned titles. Depends on the title and price. I usually go for new or digital now, so it is only in cases where it is a game I really want and can't find prior.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

I strictly buy digital games so it's not even a possibility for me.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

Most of the time I buy used games. When I'm done with a game I trade it in, and since they give you more store credit than cash I take the credit and get used games with it. Then when I'm done I'll trade them back in, etc etc.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'd buy all of them used if I had the patience to wait.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I buy all my games new.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have always bought per-owned games ever since I began gaming. I also buy brand new games day one. From my favorite franchises. Since I don't want to wait 6-10 months for a price drop.

30% of my games are day one brand new, the rest are re-owned games. So depending one the game. Gears of War 4 will be a Day one game, While other games I can wait for a bit.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is another brand new day one game. as is Halo 5. We all have favorite must buy game genres and franchises. Other games can be late discoveries

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@MarcRecon said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@DigitalNoodle said:

Actually, I agree with both of you. I have a small business on the side, so I get where you coming from @DigitalNoodle but at the same time, I'm trying to save a buck just like everyone else. Used game sales might take cash out of the developers pocket, but these guys are getting massive amounts of cash for what they do. They get it back in one form or another.

"inflated income" "massive amounts of cash" LMAO. You guys can't be serious. Did you forget about the huge number of devs that closed 12-18 months ago? How much do you think these guys make? I'm not going to go into a used game rant cause I've found it's nearly impossible to educate people on used games. I haven't paid more than $25 for a game (minus a few a wanted at release) in the last few years, but I've never purchased a used game. There is really no excuse to give Gamestop money instead of the people that make the games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bigboi500

@firefox59 said:

"inflated income" "massive amounts of cash" LMAO. You guys can't be serious. Did you forget about the huge number of devs that closed 12-18 months ago? How much do you think these guys make? I'm not going to go into a used game rant cause I've found it's nearly impossible to educate people on used games. I haven't paid more than $25 for a game (minus a few a wanted at release) in the last few years, but I've never purchased a used game. There is really no excuse to give Gamestop money instead of the people that make the games.

You're the one who needs to be educated, not people who buy used games. If the best argument you can come up with is one that involves Gamestop, you know nothing about the issue.

You really have no right whatsoever to tell others what they should or shouldn't do when the law is clearly behind used games and consumer rights.

I can't understand people like you who side with corporations over consumers. In fact, I don't think I'd ever want to.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MarcRecon

@Bigboi500 said:
@firefox59 said:

You're the one who needs to be educated, not people who buy used games. If the best argument you can come up with is one that involves Gamestop, you know nothing about the issue.

You really have no right whatsoever to tell others what they should or shouldn't do when the law is clearly behind used games and consumer rights.

I can't understand people like you who side with corporations over consumers. In fact, I don't think I'd ever want to.

Totally agree with you on this bro! Especially when big companies view consumers as dumb ass sheep! And most of us prove them right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Rule of thumb: does the game still get made? If yes? I buy new (or if digital version hits). If no I buy used.

Considering buying a Retron 5, and rebuy as many of my childhood games as possible, which ofcourse would mean that I would have to buy those used ;)

Ofcourse that is not exactly aht I think you were getting at TC, in the context of the way you asked, I would say "new" always.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bigboi500

@MarcRecon said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@firefox59 said:

Totally agree with you on this bro! Especially when big companies view consumers as dumb ass sheep! And most of us prove them right.

Especially when we're just supposed to blindly purchase these things without the ability to get our money back if we don't like the product. Today games are hyped to the moon, and not very ofter do they deliver what they promise.

The video game industry is one of the most anti-consumer markets there is because once you open a physical retail copy of a game, you can't return it, and if you buy digital you can't re-sell it or trade it, lend it to a friend etc.

Most of the anti-used game people always bring up Gamestop for lack of information or a better argument. Place like Amazon.com, Glyde.com, Gamefly.com have very good deals for used games that are in excellent condition, and some of them let you try the product out before deciding if it's worth your hard-earned money or not. Some are peer to peer as well.

You're absolutely right about how big companies view us. They use websites like the one we're at right now to give inflated scores and promote and generate hype in order to blind consumers from the truth, and then you have corporate slaves like firefox59 who care more about some well-off developer instead of your every day joe like you and I, and even go so far as to push their propaganda on us. It would be a respectable job if they were paying people to behave like that to try to influence us, but they don't. Very sad.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Depends on the game. Of course for old games I have to buy preowned if I want a physical copy. New games I won't if I really want the game because I'd rather pay a little extra and support the developers. If it's something not high on my list and is really cheap or something that sells millions of copies like say the Batman games I will possibly buy used.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

I used to trade when i was a teen but now i just buy them brand new..

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@MarcRecon said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@firefox59 said:

Oh yeah bro way to go. We both have no idea what we're talking about. Bigboi, good job on typing three sentences without actually addressing the issue.

Haimesyboy19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Haimesyboy19
Member since 2015 • 39 Posts

I do now and then not much for ps4 though as I am going through some pre-orders for the ps4 but if i find a game a bit cheaper then new price i would buy it as i do have a ps3 now aswell and i try and buy pre-owned games for that.

PS4 is a great console to play on and all these new games coming for the future, i think it's worth buying them brand new