World in Conflict... Overlooked Masterpiece.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

2007 was among one of the greatest years in the history game video games. We got Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal, The Witcher, STALKER, Crysis, Supreme Commander, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Word in Conflict etc etc etc. Masterpiece after masterpiece. While other games got sequels and were praised by many for years to come, one game was forgotten by people and many don't even know that it exists. That masterpiece is World in Conflict.

It was RTS with less micro and more action. Story makes you feel like a star of an action movie but it still never forgets that it's a video game and gave us top of the line gameplay. It's explosion effects are still better than modern RTS games... The only thing that comes close is Company of Heroes. Everything in this game can be destroyed, you can call air support, use tanks, helicopters, artillery and so on. There is no base building in this game like traditional RTS games,,, instead request additional support whenever more points are available.

At this point, it seems like it will never get a sequel. When Vivendi games was merged with Activision, Activision sold Massive Entertainment to Ubisoft. Ubisoft has so far used ME to help them make Far Cry games and Assassin's Creed games. After a long time Massive is finally coming up with new Project called Tom Clancy's The Division but according to devs their original vision is already altered by the publisher for the masses...

WIC IP is currently owned by Ubisoft. If you haven't played this game I highly recommend you to check out.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

Cool game definitely, but I suck at micromanaging. I wish this was turned based, similar the Combat Mission. I loved that game. Give orders, then it plays out for 1 minute and you can't do anything. It was a unique approach to strategy, and I wish they would make another. Not going to happen though as it's extremely nice.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, looks decent enough but im not sure i would call World in Conflict a masterpiece.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cloud_imperium

@MirkoS77 said:

Cool game definitely, but I suck at micromanaging. I wish this was turned based, similar the Combat Mission. I loved that game. Give orders, then it plays out for 1 minute and you can't do anything. It was a unique approach to strategy, and I wish they would make another. Not going to happen though as it's extremely nice.

Well this game doesn't require micro like Starcraft or Company of Heroes. You are just controlling a small squad inside a big battle. I'd say you should give it a try on easy settings if you can.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_imperium

@Jacanuk: Have you played it? If not I highly recommend it if you have interest in this genre (if you have no interest, still give it a try).

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Jacanuk: Have you played it? If not I highly recommend it if you have interest in this genre (if you have no interest, still give it a try).

Hmm, i do love those kinds of strategy games, so i will definitely give it a try.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Good game. Drags a bit though.

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8 Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

It's one of my favorite RTS games, man you have good taste in games xD. Hope The Division turns out good, Ola Strandh from WIC.

Loading Video...

Seeing the Sierra logo just brought all of my early childhood memories flooding back. I'm excited for King's Quest reboot.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#9 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It was great for its well done campaign. it was also technically brilliant, with all the destruction, particles and scale - you can totally level map and the atmosphere and visuals completely changes

But mechanically? It was pretty shallow and spammy for an RTS compared to its competitors. Still enjoyed it, though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@running-target: Thanks man.

Too bad Sierra won't be same again because..... Activision. I always saw them as greatest PC publishers of all time. There is still hope though because Blizzard seems to be doing fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

it was cool, but i kinda want base-building, resource management and massive scale from my RTS fix. CoH did action-focused RTS a bit better imo. it retained more RTS elements.

i went for Battlefield for action, and CoH or SupCom for RTS, and WiC was sitting somewhere in between. it didn't fully satisfy my needs, but i still liked it.