Will "The Last Of Us" go down as the greatest game of all time?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thelastofusfanboy89
TheLastOfUsFanboy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheLastOfUsFanboy89
Member since 2016 • 94 Posts

Putting my bias aside cause it is my favorite game i have ever played. Ive beaten the game on every difficulty even though grounded was a pain in the ass.

What everyone think? You think any game could compete with the last of us.

- gameplay is flawless. Its addictive just walking through certain parts of the game, love how you control Ellie and Joel.

- The voice acting is some of the best i have ever heard from a game.

- The graphics! cant say enough about it

- The Story, the emotion. I have never been so attached to two video game characters like I have with Joel and Ellie.

and lastly

- ELLIE!!!!!! This girl is one of the realest female characters I have ever had the privilege to watch and play as. She's amazing. You keep her out of the sequel or kill her. There would be riots i guarantee it.

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

Nothing will go down as the greatest of all time because people have varying tastes.

I liked The Last Of Us a lot, despite having a lot of characteristics that I generally dislike. Overly linear, huge set piece battles with an immersion breaking number of enemies (really it challenged my suspension of disbelief how many people I had to kill at a time in an otherwise empty post apocalyptic world) etc. It just shows how good it is that I liked it despite its shortcomings. However it wouldn't be on my top 50 games of all time, not by a long shot, let alone first. I'm sure a lot of my favorite games wouldn't make the top list of others either.

So greatest game of all time? I think it's wrong to make this proclamation for any game or movie or any piece of media. A great game? Yes it is.

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

No. It's decent, but not the best.

...and the graphics? Really? They looked like shit even when it released. Maybe passable for the PS3, but come on... have some standards man. I'll give you the characterization and VA, though.

Homeworld is better, Homeworld 2 is better, Divinity: Original Sin is better, all the Mass Effects are better, The Witcher 2 & 3 are better. The list goes on and on since you included ALL games and not just TPSs.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

No last of us is not the best game of all time. It was very good, GOTY even for 2012 aside from Xcom enemy unknown but its not the best game ever

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It was quit good. It's one of the more interesting stealth games out there, but I'd put tons of games ahead if it.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

The Last Of Us is the greatest game of all time. A true 10/10 game in every aspect. It's perfect!

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I consider it to be closest to the most "perfect" game I've played. I loved pretty much every aspect of it and didn't have any real nagging issues with it. Game looked incredible for the hardware it was initially released on.

No game will ever go down as the "greatest" game because of varying opinions and nostalgia for beloved older games. But as far as I'm concerned it's the best game I've played.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Not really.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

It's one of the most flawless games ever made. I can't really think of anything I disliked about it. But I would still personally say I enjoyed a few other games more. E.g Mass Effect 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Dark Souls, Half-life 2, FF9.

I'd say it's probably one of the best action-adventure games ever made though. Either Last of Us, Half-life 2 or Bioshock Infinite.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22406 Posts

Certainly not in my eyes.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is a good game but it has a number of weakness. It has a very weak game play to it.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11683 Posts

@thelastofusfanboy89: In your mind it will, because you find its gameplay ''flawless''_

Though I find anything but, glitchy A.I. partners clipping through each other/ pacing issues/ poor stealth mechanics/ button bash melee.

It's still a great game, improves on Uncharted, and removes that sticky/ randomised coversystem, and overall does a lot right.

However if we rated it purely on gameplay. You can't think of one cover shooter that stomps The Last of Us? Really_ Here's one. Vanquish.

If 'you' think it's TBGE don't let my opinion sway you.

But for me it's not even in my top 5 favorite 3rd person shooters, or top 20 PlayStation exclusives. Let alone amongst the best games ever.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Not the greatest game of all time but it should definitely start popping up on top 50/100 greatest games lists. It is probably my favorite game from last gen

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10520 Posts

it's tied neck and neck as the greatest cinematic / interactive movie style game of all time currently with uncharted 4 in my eyes, although that genre isn't exactly brimming with alternatives.

the relatively shallow gameplay with its clunky mechanics is its achilles' heel but holistically it's a phenomenal experience

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15  Edited By Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

People connecting to games not only by how much they enjoyed to playing them, there's an emotional connection as well, there's nostalgic aspect as well, it's complex...me personally, i don't think i'll love game more then i loved MAFIA and GTA:VC for example, that's a games i won't forget...no matter how great the games will be today. as specifically for TLOU, wonderful game, a masterpiece! the best of all time? all time??? nahhh...

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

Strip away the cinematic presentation and layers, its has very simplistic and barebones gameplay compared to other games that has barebones storylines but 10x deeper gameplay mechanics and depth.

So which is it that should define "best" game? Storyline first or pure gameplay mechanics?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56316 Posts

Play The Last of Us like 5 times on PS3 and 2 times on PS4 so yeah, best Naughty Dog game I play since Uncharted 2 but I'd say Uncharted 4 takes the crown but in the end, I like them both The Last of Us & Uncharted 4.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I'm sorry TC, but I personally disagree with many of your points.

Gameplay was okay, but the AI was really stupid at times which was a big letdown. A Toad-Zomby loses its scariness while he's running into a wall. I also didn't like the "throw stuff" mechanics at all, sorry.

VA was okay I guess, I don't remember it as much as others, so I guess to me it was forgettable.

Graphics were fantastic ... for a PS3 game. On the PS4 it started to lack and compared to PC it's nothing special.

I didn't like the story that much. I actually enjoyed the DLC much more than the main game. I barely remember the game, but between his brother and where you control the girl, it felt like annoying filler. I also didn't care about that one woman dying at all. I barely remember most of the story to be honest, but the very first chapter was fantastic, also the part in the beginning in the city and the last chapter. Hated the ending though.

Agree on Ellie, she's great.

Overall it's far from being one of the best games ever. It might be above average, but it can't even compete with other ND games like Uc2

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9416 Posts

Nah. The story/atmosphere is about the only good thing... Can't say much for the graphics since I played it on PS3. Gameplay was extremely boring and I found myself rushing to get to the next cut scene.

It's a decent game in the 'Uncharted' style Naughty Dog is so fond of these days.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I hope not. Haven't played it myself, but from what I have seen of it, it's the gaming equivalent of Oscar bait, with all that implies.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

It's a well told but generic story. Decent stealth gameplay with some inconsistent AI. There were definitely amazing moments like the prologue, winter part, and the multiplayer before they ruined it with pay 2 win DLC. I'd give it an 8/10.

IMO for something to be defined as the greatest game of all time, it should excel in what differentiates games from other forms of entertainment. Gameplay and interactivity. Adding player choice to the story and gameplay would've made it a better game.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Uhhhhh ....... NO

It's a very good game but that's it.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

I haven't played it yet but want to try it out sometime, I just hope it's not like Uncharted 2 since I'm really not a fan of that game. My personal greatest games of all time are Xenoblade, Metroid Prime, Super Mario 64, F-Zero GX, and Super Smash Brothers Melee so it'll be pretty hard to top those for me.

BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are much better imo

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25 nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

It's one of the top 5,but not the best for me

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17683 Posts

Despite what some may say, TLoU will stand tall among the greatest interactive entertainment achievements of all time, and will be viewed as a milestone in the formula in which it operates.

What I find so remarkable about TLoU is how it infuses its gameplay with feeling nigh flawlessly. Through immaculate presentation and attention to detail, Naughty Dog was able to convey the sense of desperation and hopelessness throughout. Sure, it may not have the most in-depth mechanics, but it's nonetheless exhilarating to experience and transfers to the player what needs to be felt.

I've always had a disattachment between myself and games...until I played TLoU. It for sure has flaws, but exists in a world that truly felt alive.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

The last of us is great but the greatest of all time is the witcher 3 since I finished it I am a bit down because there is no recently released game that can compare, it's like leaving a ferrari and going to drive a toyota.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

Great game, but no.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

... how many games have you played?

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 595

#30 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

Well I do love the game but no... Definitely not the best game ever.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thelastofusfanboy89: No The Last of Us will not go down as the greatest game of all time. Because there is no such thing and never will be such a thing.

If games stop improving and become better and better, then it will be the end of gaming.

Also The last of us is good, but there are so many things that could be better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Love the game. One of my top PS3 games of last gen.

All Time? No.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

No. I think it will go down as a classic, though

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi

@Litchie said:

what's your point? if you've played above a certain quota of games does that qualify you to name the greatest game of all time or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#35 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

No, really no. It is an ok game with a strong start and a good ending. it ended up PS3 life with a bang.

In PS3/360 life ... I have a hard time thinking of any game that would qualify as a game that will be remembered like FF7, Super Mario, Super Mario 3, Super Mario World, Zelda a link to the past, metroid prime, resident evil, super mario 64, Zelda Ocarina Of time, Unreal, Doom, Warcraft 2 ...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

If it does, that would set the bar really low.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58453 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Yup.

Maybe the best on PS3?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox

@mrbojangles25 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

Yup.

Maybe the best on PS3?

Possibly. It definitely wouldn't be my pick. Ellie's lead boots ruined the immersion for me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox

@Macutchi said:
@Litchie said:

what's your point? if you've played above a certain quota of games does that qualify you to name the greatest game of all time or something?

I think he's implying the TC hasn't played enough games to really be able to judge "the best" out there, especially from a reasonably objective point of view (which the TC was implying in the OP; best rather than favourite).

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Macutchi

@foxhound_fox said:
@Macutchi said:
@Litchie said:

I think he's implying the TC hasn't played enough games to really be able to judge "the best" out there, especially from a reasonably objective point of view (which the TC was implying in the OP; best rather than favourite).

yeah i thought the same thing. but there's never going to be objectively a best game of all time, particularly one we all agree on. the TC just sounds like a really enthusiastic over excited kid who clearly loved the game which is great and i didn't like the idea of him / her being patronised for that enthusiasm

MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

Half-Life 2

DanM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DanM
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

It's a good game, but it's certainly not perfect. There are only 4 types of enemy, or something like that? And I prefer an epic, engrossing game with a big world to explore. Just my opinion of course. The Last Of Us was more like a movie in that sense, a linear plot that took you on a predefined journey. It was a great game. But the best ever?? Nah...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17683 Posts

@Macutchi said:
@Litchie said:

Well, it does grant you more relativism in order to hold contrast to other games. "Greatest of all time" is subjective of course, but "all time" implies over a long period so as to be able to base that subjectivity on in the first place.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Probably one of the best stories I ever played but generally I don't care about stories in games. I've been fine with saving the princess for the past 30 years.

Johnmclane26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Johnmclane26
Member since 2016 • 255 Posts

Its the best game ive ever played by far.

Gonna take something special to beat it.

Velius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Velius
Member since 2016 • 66 Posts

A quicktime movie with writing worse than the standard Hollywood production?

Sure! Greatest game of all time!

No.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Macutchi

@MirkoS77 said:

Well, it does grant you more relativism in order to hold contrast to other games. "Greatest of all time" is subjective of course, but "all time" implies over a long period so as to be able to base that subjectivity on in the first place.

well yeah, but op may have been gaming for 30+ years. probably not tbh but in all honesty it doesn't matter if your favourite game is from the noughties, nineties, eighties or from recent years. it's a patronising question. tlou is a pretty special game, it's no real surprise to me that a few may consider it the greatest of all time (even if i disagree) irrespective of the amount of time they've been playing games

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

It goes into the Pantheon of must play games for myself. I played it about 3 times on the the PS3 and once again on the PS4 for Left Behind. The tension and brutality of combat forced through stealth and impromptu resource management as well as the subtlety of animation has created a high standard that will be emulated by many games in the future. It'll have an impact similar to Ueda's work.

@foxhound_fox said:
@Macutchi said:
@Litchie said:

Everyone has spaces missing in their catalogue of completed and recognized games, so a subjective ranking can never be definitively and objectively given, but what's the bar? How many games would need to be played or played and completed to be considered as having a well established opinion on the matter?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#49 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Not in my book for sure, but generally speaking, yes, I guess.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

I wouldn't argue with you if that was your choice. Probably in my top 10. Great game. :)